Struggling to eat enough calories - Advice

Options

Replies

• Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Okay a couple of things, firstly Id like to thank everyone for their advice and input it's truly appreciated. What I don't appreciate are people high jacking the thread to prove a point that they're right and being nasty about it in the process. If some of the above posts are a reflection of how people on here treat each other then I'm disappointed. I thought this app/site was for support, information & motivation?

information trumps support when support is given mindlessly. The information you receive that is grounded in fact should serve to support you, even if it isn't what you want to hear. Do not let people correcting misinformation worry you.. that is how we all learn

I am trying to lose weight but....I have been told because of lack of calories I have put my body into starvation mode. So even if I eat an apple I gain. So I'm trying to eat more calories, get my body okay with losing weight and then do it properly but I'm struggling with eating for a couple of reasons.

I'm afraid whoever has told you this is wrong, this isn't what happens. Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing, but starvation mode is a media-manipulated bastardisation of the basic science behind it and not true. So you can feel free to ignore it

1. It makes me feel sick. Like I want to throw up sick
    2. I'm not hungry

that doesn't sound good, I think the trick for you would be increasing the calorie density of the meals you eat when you are hungry. Providing that your logging is accurate

I also have zero energy. The last few days I have forced about 600-700 calories down but I don't think that's enough. From what I'm told I need 1200 minimum.

If you truly are eating that low an amount of calories (energy) then yes you would have zero energy. Add sugar drinks like soda? Or make high calorie juice drinks etc to sip on

I started my weight loss at 136kgs, I wasn't eating, I wasn't well. I dropped to 120kgs during this time. I have put on 2.5kgs in the last 4 days since I've been forcing the 6-7 hundred calories a day.

If you have been undereating and you increase your calories you will get a water weight swing - it isn't fat it's just fluctatuations so don't let it worry you

My goal is to lose 40kgs. 80kgs is my goal weight but tbh I just want to be healthy again and have my energy back. Right now I have nothing......

you need to accept the fact that if you have managed to become 40kg overweight you are consuming more calories than you think. As the body does not create fat out of nothing. Perhaps you need to read the calorie counting 101 thread which is pinned in helpful posts at the top of the forum

All very sound advice. Thank you. I did used to over eat massively. I would drink up to 6 cans of coke a day and eat just disgusting food. I know where my weight come from but I'm counting accurately. Weighing and double checking everything.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OP, opening your dairy would be helpful to give you a better recommendations
  • Kristie354
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

Done
  • Kristie354
    Options
    Not sure if you can also read my notes but please don't mind my rants. I'm just really frustrated with feeling like crap.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Done

Uh, you are basically starving yourself if you are logging everything you are eating.
    It looks like you've only been logging for a week (I didn't look back much further though)

How long have you been at this?

You noted coffee makes you feel sick so you don't feel hungry, stop drinking the coffee.

You noted that you put on 2.5kgs (5lbs). Over what time frame? Are you restricting calories like this then going off and eating a bunch?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here is the simplest thing to do...

You obviously gained weight so you are capable of overeating. Add some of the foods you used to eat...just moderate them.

It is much more important to hit your calorie goals than it is to cut foods out in the overall scheme of things.

Next thing...ignore the Alfred guy up there. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Kristie354
    Options

Done

Uh, you are basically starving yourself if you are logging everything you are eating.
    It looks like you've only been logging for a week (I didn't look back much further though)

You noted coffee makes you feel sick so you don't feel hungry, stop drinking the coffee.

You noted that you put on 2.5kgs (5lbs). Over what time frame? Are you restricting calories like this then going off and eating a bunch?

I have only been logging for a week this time but this isn't the first time I've used this app and logged. I log everything that goes into my mouth with the exception of medication and vitamins that I take.

Coffee specifically doesn't make me sick. Anything I eat or drink with the exception of water makes me sick. I'm definitely not going off for brunch and if I did I would log it.

Okay I'm going to try and build up to 1200 calories a day. I just need to work out how to get them in healthy foods.

Thank you for the advice. It's appreciated.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Done

I have only been logging for a week this time but this isn't the first time I've used this app and logged. I log everything that goes into my mouth with the exception of medication and vitamins that I take.

Coffee specifically doesn't make me sick. Anything I eat or drink with the exception of water makes me sick. I'm definitely not going off for brunch and if I did I would log it.

Okay I'm going to try and build up to 1200 calories a day. I just need to work out how to get them in healthy foods.

Make an appointment with your doctor if food makes you sick.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Here is the simplest thing to do...

You obviously gained weight so you are capable of overeating. Add some of the foods you used to eat...just moderate them.

It is much more important to hit your calorie goals than it is to cut foods out in the overall scheme of things.

Next thing...ignore the Alfred guy up there. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yes I gained my weight through being sick and just not caring. Coke and potato chips were a staple. I haven't eaten like that in sooo long.

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated
  • jerseyhank
    jerseyhank Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if I'm repeating something. If you're struggling to reach your calories try adding healthy fats like Olive oil to a meal. Try an avocado, nuts or even a bit of butter. Healthy fats are needed in weight loss. By no means should you load calories with sugar foods like ice creams, cookies, etc. Sugar is poison!!!
  • Kristie354
    Options
    Pretty sure this person just explained me!! What are your thoughts on his theory?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Done

^Seconding this. If everything you eat makes you sick then there's a deeper issue that may be very serious.
  • Kristie354
    Options

Done

^Seconding this. If everything you eat makes you sick then there's a deeper issue that may be very serious.

Thanks guys. You're right, probably a bigger issue.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @kristiesoto354, if you feel a consultation with a professional is in order, then by all means - it could, probably, be the best first step to get your blood work done to check for any medical issues and/or deficiencies.
    Pretty sure this person just explained me!! What are your thoughts on his theory?

I think it's a good article. I am much more active on another health site where mentions of "eating above BMR" is much more frequent. I strongly believe that our bodies are masters of adaptation and able to react pretty drastically to large and long lasting caloric deficits (significantly less than BMR). I think it is possible for someone eating 1000 calories and below to be in a state of homeostasis and not losing any weight, at least for a while. I share the suggestion mentioned in the article - you got to eat more in order to recover from where you are. If you were eating below 1000 for a while, I wonder if you have any skin, hair, or brittle nail issues (you dont have to answer, but take a note) which might be indication of health issues and nutritional deficiency.

Eating more, initially, will result in some weight gain - but it will only be temporarily. You got to give your body time to adapt to normal energy consumption. From what I read, my own experience, and experience of MFP and Lose it! members, I think it might even take a bit longer than suggested in the article. I posted a blog last year of "What worked for me to lose weight and get back in shape" - take a look, maybe you'll find something helpful for you.

Without your stats (height and weight) we cant even estimate your BMR and TDEE to at least get a starting point of how many calories you should be eating. But I'm going to assume it will be more than 1200. As suggested in the article, try incorporating calorie dense foods, more protein, and healthy fats in order to get your required calories.

Dont get discouraged when, initially, your scale goes up - it's just a number. Focus on getting healthy and treat that as something you got go through. Dont fixate on the "X lb loss per week" - if it happens, it happens, if not - there is another week coming right after this one. Stay with the plan, log honestly and consistently - and you will see results.

Looking at your dairy, why is your coffee 136 calories? A cup of coffee is less than 5 cal, so, there must be some cream and maybe sugar in yours - log these separately to give you a better picture of where your calories are coming from. By logging all ingredients separately, you will also be able to examine your previous days and decide what you can reduce. You also have to log everything - EVERYTHING. With inconsistent logging you're only doing disservice to yourself and creating unnecessary stress as partial data is useless. You wont be able to draw any conclusions and properly guide yourself.

Listen, believe in yourself - you can do this! Millions have done it! It takes some time and consistency - dont rush it.

I wish you success.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    @kristiesoto354, if you feel a consultation with a professional is in order, then by all means - it could, probably, be the best first step to get your blood work done to check for any medical issues and/or deficiencies.

I think it's a good article. I am much more active on another health site where mentions of "eating above BMR" is much more frequent. I strongly believe that our bodies are masters of adaptation and able to react pretty drastically to large and long lasting caloric deficits (significantly less than BMR). I think it is possible for someone eating 1000 calories and below to be in a state of homeostasis and not losing any weight, at least for a while. I share the suggestion mentioned in the article - you got to eat more in order to recover from where you are. If you were eating below 1000 for a while, I wonder if you have any skin, hair, or brittle nail issues (you dont have to answer, but take a note) which might be indication of health issues and nutritional deficiency.

Eating more, initially, will result in some weight gain - but it will only be temporarily. You got to give your body time to adapt to normal energy consumption. From what I read, my own experience, and experience of MFP and Lose it! members, I think it might even take a bit longer than suggested in the article. I posted a blog last year of "What worked for me to lose weight and get back in shape" - take a look, maybe you'll find something helpful for you.

Without your stats (height and weight) we cant even estimate your BMR and TDEE to at least get a starting point of how many calories you should be eating. But I'm going to assume it will be more than 1200. As suggested in the article, try incorporating calorie dense foods, more protein, and healthy fats in order to get your required calories.

Dont get discouraged when, initially, your scale goes up - it's just a number. Focus on getting healthy and treat that as something you got go through. Dont fixate on the "X lb loss per week" - if it happens, it happens, if not - there is another week coming right after this one. Stay with the plan, log honestly and consistently - and you will see results.

Looking at your dairy, why is your coffee 136 calories? A cup of coffee is less than 5 cal, so, there must be some cream and maybe sugar in yours - log these separately to give you a better picture of where your calories are coming from. By logging all ingredients separately, you will also be able to examine your previous days and decide what you can reduce. You also have to log everything - EVERYTHING. With inconsistent logging you're only doing disservice to yourself and creating unnecessary stress as partial data is useless. You wont be able to draw any conclusions and properly guide yourself.

Listen, believe in yourself - you can do this! Millions have done it! It takes some time and consistency - dont rush it.

I wish you success.

You are an absolute wealth of knowledge. I really do appreciate the time you take to reply to my thread. I know how precious our time is. I also want to assure you that you're not wasting your time. I am taking everything on board and doing my own research to make sure it's right for me.

Feeling appreciative to everyone that's relied and given opinions
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Done

Talk to your dr. If this is a recent development, and since you are not underweight, I am guessing this is relatively recent, this sounds like a health issue and not something you should self-diagnose. I assume pregnancy has been ruled out?
  • BrianRepreza
    BrianRepreza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 2700 calories a day . Try meal preping . And from what source are you getting your calories ? Carbs tend to have higher calories than proteins and fats .
  • Kristie354
    Options
    So today I ate over 1000 calories. Mostly crap calories but I'm just trying to eat to get used to it again so I'm not all that worried at the moment. I will start to replace the bad with good as I do some more research and find things that I enjoy eating that will give me what I need.

Meal prep will definitely be my best friend if I want to be successful in changing my lifestyle.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristie,

I looked at your diary and have two questions.

1. Why is coffee 136cal? That seems too much.
    2. Do you like fruit? There is no fruit logged at all. I eat 2-3 apples per day. That alone gives me ~200kcal. Also kaki, grapes, mango etc.

I got the impression that you are trying to eat "healthy" (you mention "crap" calories for example). There is no clear cut definition for "healthy". Don't worry too much about that in the beginning. Obviously there are unhealthy ingredients (too much salt, preservatives etc.) but that's not really too big of a deal in the beginning. Just concentrate on your calories first. Once you are used to eating less calories and close to your calorie goal you'll develop a healthy appetite. A lot of food that you loved before (fast food etc.) will suddenly taste "bad". Until then, just eat what you like in moderation! Even if it's a coke, pizza, ice cream, alocohol .... your body doesnt care that these are "crap" calories.

I read somewhere on MFP that losing weight is a marathon and not a sprint. I really like the comparison. You can't correct something in a few days or weeks that developed over years. Try to go for a steady but healthy loss. Don't force yourself.

If you have a serious problem to eat your calories and feel tired etc. please consult a doctor! Some people can have less calories than recommended by MFP. Especially if you are severly obese (I know what I'm talking about). But please never do that without medical supervision!

Good luck!

• Kristie354
    Options
    75in2013 wrote: »
    Hi Kristie,

I looked at your diary and have two questions.

1. Why is coffee 136cal? That seems too much.
    2. Do you like fruit? There is no fruit logged at all. I eat 2-3 apples per day. That alone gives me ~200kcal. Also kaki, grapes, mango etc.

I got the impression that you are trying to eat "healthy" (you mention "crap" calories for example). There is no clear cut definition for "healthy". Don't worry too much about that in the beginning. Obviously there are unhealthy ingredients (too much salt, preservatives etc.) but that's not really too big of a deal in the beginning. Just concentrate on your calories first. Once you are used to eating less calories and close to your calorie goal you'll develop a healthy appetite. A lot of food that you loved before (fast food etc.) will suddenly taste "bad". Until then, just eat what you like in moderation! Even if it's a coke, pizza, ice cream, alocohol .... your body doesnt care that these are "crap" calories.

I read somewhere on MFP that losing weight is a marathon and not a sprint. I really like the comparison. You can't correct something in a few days or weeks that developed over years. Try to go for a steady but healthy loss. Don't force yourself.

If you have a serious problem to eat your calories and feel tired etc. please consult a doctor! Some people can have less calories than recommended by MFP. Especially if you are severly obese (I know what I'm talking about). But please never do that without medical supervision!

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the input.

Coffee is so many calories because my cup is huge and I have 2 sugars & 200mls of milk in each cup.

The only fruit I eat really is bananas and it's hard to find good ones so fruits not really a great option. If I need to include it I will?

I'm definitely going to see a dr and probably a nutritionist as well. I really need to not only lose the weight but be healthy. I know my body and I'm not healthy and it's really annoying because I used to be so active.