Too much protein?

Options
Often over 50% of my calorie intake is protein. Is that bad? I'm very active, doing Body Pump, Spin, mountain biking, or trail running 6 days a week.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    50% isn't really a useful metric without context - how many average grams per day does that work out to?

It's not "bad" in the sense that it's not going to harm you. But if it's getting in the way of getting adequate dietary fat and/or micronutrients, you may want to consider making some different food choices.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    50% isn't really a useful metric without context - how many average grams per day does that work out to?

It's not "bad" in the sense that it's not going to harm you. But if it's getting in the way of getting adequate dietary fat and/or micronutrients, you may want to consider making some different food choices.

What he said.
    Looking at your diary, it looks like you had one day of protein in the 150's, a few around the 90's and one in the 60's. None of those are harmful levels of protein (although the 60's is on the low side).
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What he said.
    Looking at your diary, it looks like you had one day of protein in the 150's, a few around the 90's and one in the 60's. None of those are harmful levels of protein (although the 60's is on the low side).

Oh em gee...look at you being all smart and stuff and thinking to look to see if her diary was public...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What he said.

Oh em gee...look at you being all smart and stuff and thinking to look to see if her diary was public...

I'm a creeper like that.
  • lgriffith5
    lgriffith5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weird...it's not supposed to be public...need to change that. Yeah this week I've been a bit more balanced (I'm just starting to use MFP again) and have been trying to even it out with more carbs to meet their recommendations. But I know if left on my own it would be about 150+ grams of protein a day. So thats okay and I shouldn't worry about the percentages as much? I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to use MFP and its features so I can be successful in getting healthy and losing weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    That's probably a little more than necessary...but not wildly high.

If you find it fits your preferences and lifestyle, and (as noted) it's not crowding out minimum necessary amounts of fats and other micro nutrients, there's nothing wrong with that much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I eat what I want (foods I naturally gravitate toward), I'm usually around 150g of protein. No bad side effects here
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    High amounts of protein can leech calcium out of your bones.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    All I would say is that excessive protein will slow down your digestive tract that can cause your stools to compact (which are not pleasant to pass), so you need to make sure your fibre intake is on point to help speed things back up.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »

Do you have some actual evidence for this? I'm only finding that it was related to one study from 1992 that has been proven wrong time and time again as the "acidifying" effect it's attributed to does not actually occur.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2016
    Options

Do you have some actual evidence for this? I'm only finding that it was related to one study from 1992 that has been proven wrong time and time again as the "acidifying" effect it's attributed to does not actually occur.

The next time that he posts any evidence of one of his ridiculous claims beyond "I weigh 153 lbs bruh" will be the first time
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

There are certain people on MFP that give the worst, most mind baffling advice. OMP33 has a daily protein goal of 50 grams a day and 22 grams a day of fat....that says it all.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

There are certain people on MFP that give the worst, most mind baffling advice. OMP33 has a daily protein goal of 22 grams a day....that says it all.

My mind still boggles at that protein amount :confounded:
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

There are certain people on MFP that give the worst, most mind baffling advice. OMP33 has a daily protein goal of 22 grams a day....that says it all.

Whoops my mistake I corrected myself above. Don't want to continue the spread of misinformation :open_mouth:
  • Christine_72
    Options

Whoops my mistake I corrected myself above. Don't want to continue the spread of misinformation :open_mouth:

Ah ok, marginally better... Not my diet, not my concern I guess.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

He tends to broscience a lot

Protein Does NOT Leach Calcium From Your Bones and Cause Osteoporosis

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/

It is commonly believed that a high protein intake can contribute to osteoporosis.

The theory is that the protein increases the acid load of your body, which then causes the body to take calcium out of the bones to neutralize the acid.

Even though there are some studies showing increased calcium excretion in the short term, this effect does not persist over the long term.

In fact, longer term studies do not support this idea at all. In one 9 week study, replacing carbohydrate with meat did not affect calcium excretion and improved some hormones known to promote bone health, like IGF-1 (2).

A review published in in 2011 concluded that there is no evidence that increased protein harms the bones. If anything, the evidence points to a higher protein intake improving bone health, NOT the other way around (3).

There are multiple other studies and papers showing that a higher protein intake is a good thing when it comes to bone health.

For example, it improves bone density and lowers the risk of fracture. It also increases IGF-1 and lean mass, both known to promote bone health (4, 5, 6, 7, 8).

The whole protein-osteoporosis thing is a myth with literally zero evidence to back it up. This is one example of where blindly following conventional nutritional wisdom leads to the exact opposite result of what you expected.

Bottom Line: Despite a high protein intake increasing calcium excretion in the short term, long term studies show a strong positive effect on bone health.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

It can't even be called broscience if he can't post some kind of science to back up his whacky, unsubstantiated claims. It's just scaremongering and vegan propaganda.

From examine.com:
    Bone Mineral Density

In looking at large survey research, there appears to be no relation between protein intake and bone fracture risk (indicative of bone health) except for when total calcium intake was below 400mg per 1000kcal daily, although the relation was fairly weak (RR=1.51 when compared against the highest quartile).[26] Other reviews not similar 'lack of correlation despite logic' relations.[27][28]

One intervention study noted that protein intake was actually positively associated with bone mineral density, but this correlation only was shown when the acidic effects of sulfate (from sulfur amino acids) was controlled for.[29]

Soy protein itself seems to have additional protective effects on bone mass in post-menopausal women, which may be due to the isoflavone content.[30] For more information, please read our FAQ page on Soy Isoflavones.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Protein Does NOT Leach Calcium From Your Bones and Cause Osteoporosis

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/

It is commonly believed that a high protein intake can contribute to osteoporosis.

The theory is that the protein increases the acid load of your body, which then causes the body to take calcium out of the bones to neutralize the acid.

Even though there are some studies showing increased calcium excretion in the short term, this effect does not persist over the long term.

In fact, longer term studies do not support this idea at all. In one 9 week study, replacing carbohydrate with meat did not affect calcium excretion and improved some hormones known to promote bone health, like IGF-1 (2).

A review published in in 2011 concluded that there is no evidence that increased protein harms the bones. If anything, the evidence points to a higher protein intake improving bone health, NOT the other way around (3).

There are multiple other studies and papers showing that a higher protein intake is a good thing when it comes to bone health.

For example, it improves bone density and lowers the risk of fracture. It also increases IGF-1 and lean mass, both known to promote bone health (4, 5, 6, 7, 8).

The whole protein-osteoporosis thing is a myth with literally zero evidence to back it up. This is one example of where blindly following conventional nutritional wisdom leads to the exact opposite result of what you expected.

Bottom Line: Despite a high protein intake increasing calcium excretion in the short term, long term studies show a strong positive effect on bone health.

In all fairness, and even though I agree with the article.. Isn't Authority Nutrition often poo pooed around here?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26412291
    RESULTS:

Intakes of dairy protein (with adjustment for BMI) were positively associated with total hip BMD among men and women aged 50+ y, and in men aged 25-49. Among adults aged 50+ y, those with protein intakes of <12% TEI (women) and <11% TEI (men) had increased fracture risk compared to those with intakes of 15% TEI. Fracture risk did not significantly change as intake increased above 15% TEI, and was not significantly associated with protein source.
    CONCLUSIONS:

In contrast to hypothesized risk of high protein, we found that for adults 50+ y, low protein intake (below 15% TEI) may lead to increased fracture risk. Source of protein was a determinant of BMD, but not fracture risk.
  • Jenniferhope_
    Jenniferhope_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't beat up on people too much--high protein does have an acidifying effect and calcium leaching was a widely held belief by plenty of respectable people, although further research proved that simply wasn't the case. That being said, the science isn't exactly settled regarding higher protein diets and kidney strain, so we'll have to see how the research definitively pans out on that. You know, just an aside here...As I read through the questions, answers and comments, I can't help but wonder what the heck? I think most people offer advice with good intention, right or wrong (or in between), so why make cutting or condescending remarks? It's community support board right after all. Just saying.
This discussion has been closed.