Ancestral Diet... eating right for your origins

Options
1234568»

Replies

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are several issues with the article, which is being taken as scientific, but wasn't really intended, as far as I can see, for that purpose. It is meant, just to get you thinking. Which has been a success, so there ya go.

Beyond that, here are some of my thoughts.
    1. Correlation does not equal causation. The article is cherry picking information from various studies, which aren't sited, which you have no idea who funded, carried out and interpreted. Eating ice cream is correlated with more shark attacks, but ice cream doesn't cause them, it's just because there are more attacks in summer, which is when more ice cream is eaten.
    2. It sounds like the "ancestral" populations started having issues when they adopted Western Diets, which has nothing to do with your genetic make up and everything to do with eating too many refined carbs and sugars.
    3. Vegetables as dangerous? Really? Yes there are trace amounts of cyanide in apples (but I believe that is in the core and seeds, but I may be mistaken). Seeds have items such as natural insect repellants and phytates etc that hinder consumption and breakdown. Thats because seeds want to be planted, not eaten.
    4. Finally, how in the world do they KNOW what our hominid ancestors ate? Have they found a stomach with food in it? A hominid with his dinner plate in hand? Talk about reaching.

I eat a certain way that makes me feel good bodily and keeps me at a healthy weight and strong. That so happens to mean that I eat less sugar, no grains for the most part and the lower end of carbs. If it works for you do it.

Rant over. :wink:
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I get all the tacos and kielbasa!! Falafel and chorizo!! Chocolatl!

You are quite the perfect mix!
    Let's see I get lots of Ham products (polish) but my husband is Jewish so does that mean my kid can't eat anything???

I'm partially a Jewish pole, so I hope not. Kielbasa for the kids, too. Latkes for everyone.

This needs to be on a tee shirt.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    There are several issues with the article, which is being taken as scientific, but wasn't really intended, as far as I can see, for that purpose. It is meant, just to get you thinking. Which has been a success, so there ya go.

1. Correlation does not equal causation. The article is cherry picking information from various studies, which aren't sited, which you have no idea who funded, carried out and interpreted. Eating ice cream is correlated with more shark attacks, but ice cream doesn't cause them, it's just because there are more attacks in summer, which is when more ice cream is eaten.
    2. It sounds like the "ancestral" populations started having issues when they adopted Western Diets, which has nothing to do with your genetic make up and everything to do with eating too many refined carbs and sugars.
    3. Vegetables as dangerous? Really? Yes there are trace amounts of cyanide in apples (but I believe that is in the core and seeds, but I may be mistaken). Seeds have items such as natural insect repellants and phytates etc that hinder consumption and breakdown. Thats because seeds want to be planted, not eaten.
    4. Finally, how in the world do they KNOW what our hominid ancestors ate? Have they found a stomach with food in it? A hominid with his dinner plate in hand? Talk about reaching.

I eat a certain way that makes me feel good bodily and keeps me at a healthy weight and strong. That so happens to mean that I eat less sugar, no grains for the most part and the lower end of carbs. If it works for you do it.

I think I may actually know this! Paleobotinists. They specialize in identifying fossilized plants, seeds and pollen. So we can know what plants were around our ancestors (and extrapolate what was eaten by what we can eat today). There is also evidence of cut marks on bones that have been butchered, so we can see what meat was eaten.
    It's not as direct as finding direct stomach contents, but it's pretty awesome science!

All that said, our ancestors stopped feeding off what they "evolved to eat" the second they tied a sharp rock to a stick, and we've been evolving since then. So I'm with you, this is bollocks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »

I think I may actually know this! Paleobotinists. They specialize in identifying fossilized plants, seeds and pollen. So we can know what plants were around our ancestors (and extrapolate what was eaten by what we can eat today). There is also evidence of cut marks on bones that have been butchered, so we can see what meat was eaten.
    It's not as direct as finding direct stomach contents, but it's pretty awesome science!

It's very cool, but I still suspect that most of us don't know where our specific ancestors were precisely. People migrated over time. I know where my ancestors were (mostly) before they came to the US, but 10,000 years ago or more? Nope.