The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 The way you wrote your race report I wanted to laugh so much even though I know it was no laughing matter. I don't want to see any holes in your story after you do your half.

Amen to that! You can laugh, it was just one of those runs. I wanted to share that so the next person that has a horrible run will know they are not alone.

My feet were numb from the cold the first few miles, then after I tripped my right foot fell asleep for a few miles. The whole expierience only lacked me having a GI/bladder emergency from being miserable. I just wonder if anyone from my newly joined running group had do dodge my sudded urge to bow to mecca. According to the results, one of them finished 3 minutes ahead of me... Soooo, I bet there's a fair chance she had to leap frog me. Oh well.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The wind almost made me hit the treadmill this am, but I decided I would go outside anyway. The ambient temp was only about -4c (24f) but the windchill brought it down to -15c (9f) and it was directly in my face for half the run. Actually a couple hours after my run I can still feel my face and thighs burning a touch.

So it was a delicate balance with the layers, I knew if I could cut the wind I wouldn't need a bunch of layers to feel comfortable. And I got it right yay! Was a great run, and I'm so glad I went outside. Altho I am freaking FREEZING.

Actually that reminds me about the iron deficiency discussion going on. I've been low iron every time I have been tested. Which it hasn't been in a while so it might be time to revisit that. Last time I took an iron supplement from the health food store which was in liquid form.

2/01 - x-train
    2/02 - 4 miles that came nice and easy
    2/03 - nada
    2/04 - 3.4
    2/05 - x-train
    2/06 - 3.3 11'20 split
    2/07 - total sloth day. I like sloths, I don't like sloth days.
    2/08 - 4.4 was a great run

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @kateparry84 I can almost always tell when I need to get my iron levels checked by the level of fatigue I'm experiencing (also know to just take the tablets whether I feel like it or not if I've had a particularly bad month with my cycle...which sadly happens more and more these days). I usually start to feel better within a couple of weeks of taking the supplements. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon, too. I understand your partner's concern, although I think the mental health benefits of running probably out-weigh the physical toll--with all that you have on your plate, taking the time to do something just for yourself is really important!

@WhatMeRunning I am almost a full minute-per-mile slower on my trail runs, so I know that physically they're much harder, but they are mentally so much more exciting, the time just flies by, which makes them seem easier.

@ddmom0811 Congrats on your Daytona run! Your bling is awesome! It's crazy how cold you feel after a run--I'm the same way. I really can't get warm without a hot shower. I am a little worried about the half I'm running at Disney; I know it will be chilly in the dark but warm up quickly. If I drop my jacket as I get warm, I won't have anything to warm up with at the end and a long bus ride back to the hotel. I'm hoping I can just tie the jacket around my waist without being too hindered by it.

@KnordRW Welcome! I'm sure by the time September gets here you'll find a 6K easy-peasy!

@runner_girl83 Glad you got your medal! We had a big snowstorm that weekend on the east coast, so maybe the mail got held up a few days before it could get outbound. I'm sorry your ankles are giving you trouble now. You mention the pram--how old is your youngest? I had all sorts of hyper-mobility/tendinitis issues in my tendons after each of my pregnancies. Could you be experiencing something similar?

@shanaber Congrats on your Surf City 1/2! I can't imagine having salt on me after a race. The light was beautiful in the photo, though--looked like a great place to run!

@3dogsrunning All I can say is Wow! You're fast! I am very envious. :)

@9voice9 Good job on your 15K! I was surprised at the hills when I ran my first 10K. My time was about where I expected, but it was really "way slower on the uphill, way faster on the downhill" than I was used to! The downhills can be almost as challenging in their own way when you're not used to running on them. Most of the hills on my park trail are long slow grades, so bridge ramps are out of the norm for me.

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

2/7 Rest
    2/8 5 @ 11:23 on the treadmill. Knees were giving me a little trouble at the beginning but warmed up ok.
    2/9
    2/10
    2/11
    2/12
    2/13
    (5/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1 - 0
    2/2 - 4.0
    2/3 - 0
    2/4 - 2.75
    2/5 - 0
    2/6 - 4.75

11.5 of 80 miles :-1:

exercise.png

Spent Friday and Saturday at State Indoor Track Meet with Skip. She did great, she was seeded 35th and finished 28 and cut 12 seconds off her 1600m making her new PR a 6:08. She really wanted a sub 6:00 but is looking forward to outdoor track starting this month.

going to catch up on the all the posts

Upcoming races:
    Hug a Cub 5K - 2/13
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row 10K - 5/30
  • dddflutegirl
    dddflutegirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 50 miles this month! :smile: My next race will be the More/Shape Womens Half Marathon in April.

exercise.png
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Completed 3kilo. First run of the month. WOO HOO!!
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for February

2/3 – 3.58 Mi
    2/4 – 3.63 Mi
    2/6 – 4.24 Mi
    2/7 – 6.12 Mi

Progress toward Goal 17.57/ 70
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @knordrw I love the Penguin run being a 6.6K how fitting and welcome!
    @runner_girl83 glad your medal and bib showed up
    @shanaber super HM 44th in AG woohoo!!
    @juliet3455 bbbrrr on the temps. Great time. You cracked me up on the 2 in your AG so you were guaranteed a medal. My first 10K there were 2 of us and I was thrilled to get 2nd, like I had a choice LOL
    @ddmom0811 I'm beyond jealous of your Daytona bling!
    @ceciliaslater my other half was gone for a year in the UAE and got back in December to only find out last week he's off to the Mediterranean for what could be 3 years. Doesn't make things easy. I run ALOT while he is gone.
    @ceckhardt369 - I too have wanted to try Lasik so many times, I'm glad you are doing good. I hate to run with my glasses on so I can't read my watch while I'm running etc. Skip thinks it's funny while we are running to say "Mom do you see that truck coming" Okay I'm not THAT bad, though I have to admit running and wondering if it's a garbage can or serial murderer up ahead on the side of the road.
    @9voice9 great 15K!

Skip is volunteering at a 5K this Saturday at her old elementary school, way to give back girl, so I figured since I need to drive her there at 7:00 I might as well run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have today off from work and skipped a long run yesterday, so I decided to get that in today. It was windy today, 35mph with 50mph gusts. Luckily the temp was only down to 30F and I layered up just right so the wind was not cold. But a few points it was a battle against the headwind. On the way back a big gust came on as I was going downhill.

2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles
    2/8 - 9.5 miles

32.9 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    </insert more races here>
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @runner_girl83 - I was just going to say that the package will show up, when I saw you did get it. I used to mail my daughter a ton of care packages while she was in school in NYC and that happened several times, always at that Jamaica, NY USPS center. The package would show as being there for 5-7 days, no updates. There was no use in calling, even from the US. And then suddenly the package would arrive. Glad you got it!

jic9ewq9miw1.jpg

Yes!! I know now for next time! :smile: very weird how its so hard to contact anyone there.. But its nice to know it happens to other people!

Fantastic medal, by the wa, for the Daytona Half!!! Love it!!
  • runner_girl83
    Options

@runner_girl83 Glad you got your medal! We had a big snowstorm that weekend on the east coast, so maybe the mail got held up a few days before it could get outbound. I'm sorry your ankles are giving you trouble now. You mention the pram--how old is your youngest? I had all sorts of hyper-mobility/tendinitis issues in my tendons after each of my pregnancies. Could you be experiencing something similar?

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

It's quite possible iIhave hyper-mobility issues.. My phsio says he has never seen feet like mine.. I can literally stand on my tip-toes - he tells me off for doing it, tells me iIcan only do calf raises with shoes on as they stop me from going all the way up. It's something I've always done.. He called all of the other physios in for them to assess it. My toes also bend forward, towards my ankle a lot. My legs are bowed and I'm pigeon-toed.. Just to make it interesting. I wonder if my hip could be playing up again when it comes to my legs too - I had SPD, a disorder with my left hip during my last pregnancy where the ligaments become too loose and the hip bone is unstable and moves away from the other side. I had to wear a brace the entire pregnancy, the pain was awful and it took a bit of physio post birth to fix too. After a long run my hip is very noisy and makes a clicking noise when I walk. May have to get it looked at again! My youngest is 4 in May. I don't think i will run with him anymore as the stroller and he weigh over 20kg combined probably not helping matters.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the POD tomorrow to see what she suggests too!

I see your Half is fast approaching!! How exciting!! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @runner_girl83 glad you got your hardware! I think sometimes that tracking only works until the package leaves the originating country.

Upcoming Races (Registered & Tentative)

04/16/2016 - Trail Mix 25K - Lake Rebecca Park
    05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    06/25/2016 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN (Tentative)
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN (Tentative)
    07/20/2016 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis
    08/12/2016 - Ragnar Great River 200+ Relay (Looking for a team)
    08/31/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/12/2016 - Watermelon Days 5K - Kellogg, MN (Tentative)
    09/14/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/28/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    10/12/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN

Yes, I think that's right! I know better for next time now though :smile:

Loving your race lineup for the year! Very impressive!!
  • doctorallenisin
    doctorallenisin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the group and new to running. I will be doing running/walking. I hope to finish 50 miles this month. Wish me luck. I have completed 5 so far so I have some catching up to do to meet my goal. Good luck everybody!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Great job @_Terrapin_ !

@WhatMeRunning I can't imagine running with wind speed that'd I would have a hard time ime walking in! Great work out!

@skippygirlsmom "garbage can or serial killer", no doubt! I made a similar complaint to my optometrist a few months back. I still haven't found a solution. I think I'll try some running rx eyewear. I think we talked about yours a few months back, that you liked them.

Work put out a bullitin that even though it looks cute and furry, DONT PET IT! After a guy got bit petting a cat. I kinda feel like that running. Am I running in to the arms of a murderer?
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Started Week 3 today. Hard to get up and get out there this morning after having a little too much fun last night, but I did so as to stay with my schedule per this months goal. In the 60's and sunny this week, means getting up later makes for a tougher run. I love running in the cool crisp air.

Feb 1 - Run/ .9 miles, Walk/ 1.21 miles - C25k
    Feb 3 - Run/ .9 miles, Walk/ 1.21 miles - C25k
    Feb 5 - Run/ .9 miles, Walk/ 1.25 miles - C25k
    Feb 8 - Run/ 1 mile, Walk/ 1.13 miles - C25k

Monthly Totals - Run/ 3.7, Walk/ 4.8
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the group and new to running. I will be doing running/walking. I hope to finish 50 miles this month. Wish me luck. I have completed 5 so far so I have some catching up to do to meet my goal. Good luck everybody!

Good luck! And welcome!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Defo hurt myself - inside my right leg more uncomfortable now and can't jog at all. Going to try a spin class then might just rest - gutted doesn't cover it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Great job @_Terrapin_ !

@skippygirlsmom "garbage can or serial killer", no doubt! I made a similar complaint to my optometrist a few months back. I still haven't found a solution. I think I'll try some running rx eyewear. I think we talked about yours a few months back, that you liked them.

Work put out a bullitin that even though it looks cute and furry, DONT PET IT! After a guy got bit petting a cat. I kinda feel like that running. Am I running in to the arms of a murderer?

@elise4270 I haven't brought a pair of running eye wear. I thought about it and just never got around to it. I wear bifocals and the thought of the expense keeps making me say nevermind. If I wore a single lense I would probably do it. Until then I can't see. Though I do wear my glasses when I trail run so I'm not sure why it bothers me so much to wear them on the road.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I feel a bit of a slacker looking at all your runs and training, but I did another 3.73 miles tonight at beginners running club so have a total of 11 miles for the month so now, getting there slowly. ☺

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    getting there slowly. ☺

Those first 2 words are the only ones that matter. Remember the Desiderata: "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." The only valid comparison is your today-self with your yesterday-self. If your today-self is better is some way than your yesterday-self, you win!