Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I pack bentos everyday for the hubby, my child, and myself. My child has the exact same hello kitty bento box as the previous poster. Here is a pic of my typical bento lunch

2016-02-05.jpg

Teriyaki pork with salad, grapes, and medium grain rice with sesame seeds.

I got this cookbook for christmas (yes I'm a nerd like that) and I LOVE it. I've cooked a bunch of recipes and they all turn out great and they are all pretty healthy and bento-able.

http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Cookbook-Japanese-Bento-Dishes/dp/4921205078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454702723&sr=8-1&keywords=manga+cookbook

And can I just I just mention how much I love my Zojirushi rice cooker (also a Christmas present). If I could marry it, I would. I cook rice everyday for bentos.
  • ohitsu
    ohitsu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wait, for real they don't leak?? Just had pyrex soup mug with vented lid, leak all liquid out of it dousing the rest of my lunch with tomato juice soup base....
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    ohitsu wrote: »
    Wait, for real they don't leak?? Just had pyrex soup mug with vented lid, leak all liquid out of it dousing the rest of my lunch with tomato juice soup base....

Some do, some dont. Most of the actual 'bento' boxes have instructions not to put soupy foods in them because they aren't leak-proof (although a lot of the time the instructions aren't in English :s ). I use Pyrex for mixing bowls and the like, but I don't like their food storage and transport range for that reason; I've had more than one co-worker use it and end up with more lunch in their handbag than in their actual box. If you can get it where you are, try the brand Sistema. I've been using their vented leak-proof bowls for ages; as long as you wash them by hand and not in a dishwasher, and don't actually "cook" food in the microwave with them, they stay leak-proof for ages.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    fafvh0s1udoy.jpeg
    More leftovers, same as the last except more rice and veggies.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I've had a lot of soup mug leftover lunches and business lunches since the new year began, so I haven't been posting that many bentos (or I've forgotten!). Here's my bento for today and another from last week.

This one is choy sum stir fried in oyster sauce with tomatoes, and a really well formed but hidden bunny egg with sliced lamb sausages and rice. The pink container is breakfast - blueberry and lemon cornbread.
    okd6ylodajye.jpg

smoked salmon, furikake & yuzu pepper paste mixed in with rice and salad.
    nfm9q9dpucnf.jpg
  • RNYSue2016
    RNYSue2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first bento box - can't wait until it arrives! I've wanted one since I saw them on Pinterest and one lady had a cloth napkin in every one of hers and that's really what sold me on taking the time to prepare my lunch, cloth napkins are decadent.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    RNYSue2016 wrote: »
    I just bought my first bento box - can't wait until it arrives! I've wanted one since I saw them on Pinterest and one lady had a cloth napkin in every one of hers and that's really what sold me on taking the time to prepare my lunch, cloth napkins are decadent.

A cloth napkin? Now I feel like a bogan with my wet wipe...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    w6put90dfv6e.jpg478ahoavnoac.jpgz8batnudono3.jpg
    Finally remembered to post! Bento a la Rubbermaid Takealong and Ikea containers. :smiley: For lunch is chicken thighs (sans sauce I usually have), carrots, cauliflower and later on as a snack onigiri. A snack (yay sword toothpicks) of a sliced up cheese stick and low-salt chicken breast, and salad with cucumbers, black olives and banana peppers, with honey Dijon dressing.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    1 kiwi and 200g papaya for breakfast. A babybel as a snack. Lettuce with cherry tomatoes and rotisserie chicken and balsamic dressing.
    400kcal altogether.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I keep forgetting to take pictures of my food at the moment, but here's last nights and one from last week.

Salmon rice, marinated chicken pieces and veg ~620Cal
    14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

Beef mini meatballs, tonkatsu sauce, rice and salad ~400Cal
    hf1sq3v9qyat.jpg
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    a6s63w80uuik.jpg
    It's a sistema lunchbox cube. Bacon and egg salad, herbed potatoes, blanched broccoli and a gf brownie.
    We now have a daiso in our area, so I think I may have have a new obsession.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    a6s63w80uuik.jpg
    It's a sistema lunchbox cube. Bacon and egg salad, herbed potatoes, blanched broccoli and a gf brownie.
    We now have a daiso in our area, so I think I may have have a new obsession.

I used a pink one of those cubes throughout most of highschool! You've made me want bacon in my lunch tomorrow.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Today I brought Bento Beng to work with me, all filled with veggies pasta. Threw on more cheese, gave him a couple of dings in the microwave and a hot lunch was served.

2z8ttzed2dv9.jpg
  • Afura
    Options
    I keep forgetting to take pictures of my food at the moment, but here's last nights and one from last week.

14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

I can't ever find carrots big enough to use my cutters on. :frowning: Cucumbers are the only things!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of my bento yesterday but forgot to post - and today I don't have my phone, so I can neither post yesterday's picture nor take one of today's bento! :p
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

I can't ever find carrots big enough to use my cutters on. :frowning: Cucumbers are the only things!

my cutters are really small - about an inch in diameter. I do look like a loony going through the carrots at the supermarket making sure I get ones that have a consistent diameter the whole way down :D . Maybe the loony part isn't just in regards to the carrots though...
  • Afura
    Options

14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

my cutters are really small - about an inch in diameter. I do look like a loony going through the carrots at the supermarket making sure I get ones that have a consistent diameter the whole way down :D . Maybe the loony part isn't just in regards to the carrots though...

That's about the size of my cutters too. I'll just have to join you in the loony looks, as the regular bagged carrots in my store definitely won't cut it. :grin:
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

That's about the size of my cutters too. I'll just have to join you in the loony looks, as the regular bagged carrots in my store definitely won't cut it. :grin:

The carrot hunt is no fun. No carrots I have found "cut" it.

Hubby has been away a while, so my lack of lunches has been from that reason. Back at it today and yesterday for a family outing, since none of us wanted food out. Today's lunch is not picture, they have all been simple lately, I have not been doing well. Here is yesterday's, 3 kids and 2 adults. Hubby packed his own, broccoli, deli ham, friots and bean dip. Mine is ramen with chicken, peas, carrots, and green onions and a side of animal crackers/strawberries. Kids all have grilled cheese (with or without deli ham), chips/animal crackers and strawberries. b8988138e2a901c5612a4ba42fbc1e90.png
    25061e84811f25cb177fa103af025069.png
  • mangrothian
    Options

14uhh9jatjhd.jpg

The carrot hunt is no fun. No carrots I have found "cut" it.

Fufufufu, I see what you did there ^_^

Heh, maybe it's true about everything being bigger down under ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Unless they're baby carrots (and by those, I don't mean the baby shaped things which we don't get in Aussieland, I mean the ones that grow to about the width of a finger), the majority of carrots in a supermarket would work with the cutters. I just like getting ones that don't taper so I can use more of the carrot in my bento, instead of having a container of carrot ends in the fridge waiting to be re-purposed.