Low carb or Low calorie

Options
I have been on a low calorie diet for about 3 weeks I read alot of articles.on low carb diets.on mfp.People keep saying as long has you are in deficit you will lose weight but I'm a.little confused on that do the year if I burn more calories than I eat then I will lose.im not active at all I have fibromyalgia and bursitis in both hips and when I try to exercise I pay for the next three or four days down cuz I hurt so much. So I'm wondering if I should switch to a low carb diet any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you want to

But you don't have to

It's just a way to hit your calorie defecit that suits some people

Not me cos it makes me crash and burn but some find it easy and are able to stick to it
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    CICO (calories in vs calories out). Burn more than you take in and you will lose. Consume more than you burn and you will gain. Its simple. Low carb is just restricting carbohydrates which can lead to temporary losses, but typically most people will return to eating a normal diet and regain. Stick to a calorie goal and don't exceed it. Eat whole foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats). Drink at least 64oz water daily. Don't complicate it with unnecessary macro restrictions.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you eat fewer calories than you burn (e.g., a calorie deficit), you should lose weight.

Folks pursue low carb food choices for a variety of reasons, but chief among them is stabilizing blood sugar, which can spike with high-carb foods (even so-called "natural" carbs like starches and fruits), and can be risky for folks with diabetes, pre-diabeties, or other disorders associated with fluctuating blood sugar and metabolism.

I try to avoid heavily processed carbs (e.g., bread and baked goods) mostly because I'd rather "spend" the calories on something with more protein or fiber in it. So I'll eat an omelet crammed with veggies for breakfast rather than toast, for example, because for the same 200 calories I feel like I've eaten more if I eat the veggie omelet. Similarly, I'll opt for a huge broccoli slaw salad with some tunafish and a little spicy wasabi dressing over a tunafish sandwich because I feel more satisfied eating a huge pile of salad than I do "spending" my calories on one measley piece of bread.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low calorie diet for about 3 weeks I read alot of articles.on low carb diets.on mfp.People keep saying as long has you are in deficit you will lose weight but I'm a.little confused on that do the year if I burn more calories than I eat then I will lose.im not active at all I have fibromyalgia and bursitis in both hips and when I try to exercise I pay for the next three or four days down cuz I hurt so much. So I'm wondering if I should switch to a low carb diet any input would be greatly appreciated.

There are a number of people who have experienced significant reduction of inflammatory pain on low carb diets - bursitis is an inflammatory pain; I'm not sure about fibromyalgia since it is usually the remainder diagnosis after they rule everything else out.

If you are solely asking about weight loss, as long as you eat a calorie deficit it doesn't matter. Eating low carb makes it easier for a number of people who struggle with hunger and cravings on a low calorie diet to stick to eating at a calorie deficit.
  • tinaalvarado29
    tinaalvarado29 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you eat fewer calories than you burn (e.g., a calorie deficit), you should lose weight.

Folks pursue low carb food choices for a variety of reasons, but chief among them is stabilizing blood sugar, which can spike with high-carb foods (even so-called "natural" carbs like starches and fruits), and can be risky for folks with diabetes, pre-diabeties, or other disorders associated with fluctuating blood sugar and metabolism.

I try to avoid heavily processed carbs (e.g., bread and baked goods) mostly because I'd rather "spend" the calories on something with more protein or fiber in it. So I'll eat an omelet crammed with veggies for breakfast rather than toast, for example, because for the same 200 calories I feel like I've eaten more if I eat the veggie omelet. Similarly, I'll opt for a huge broccoli slaw salad with some tunafish and a little spicy wasabi dressing over a tunafish sandwich because I feel more satisfied eating a huge pile of salad than I do "spending" my calories on one measley piece of bread.

Ok so if I'm eating low calorie but I'm not exercising them I'm not burning any calories I'm I right then I wont lose weight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Low carb is just one of many ways of possibly creating a calorie deficiency to lose weight...all diets work on the same principle...you consume fewer calories than you burn. When people say "burn" they're not just talking about the calories you burn with exercise...you burn calories 24/7...just being alive and doing nothing else burns more calories than anything you do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Ok so if I'm eating low calorie but I'm not exercising them I'm not burning any calories I'm I right then I wont lose weight

You burn calories every day just by being alive. As long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. You can do this without any exercise.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You burn calories every day just by being alive. As long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. You can do this without any exercise.

In MFP, if you set your activity level to "sedentary", it will estimate your "Total Daily Energy Expenditure" or (TDEE) assuming you are not exercising. Depending on your weight, height, and age, that can easily be 1700-2000 calories per day--WITHOUT added exercise. So you eat less than that TDEE, and you should lose weight
  • dottiedj
    dottiedj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost weight very easily in the past on a low-carb diet and I was never hungry. I maintained for a long time afterwards just doing a moderate calorie intake compared to calorie burn. Last fall I started eating more (of everything, but especially carbs!) and I quickly gained 18 lbs. I have watched my diet since new years and I have only lost 2 pounds. Today, I am going back on a low-carb diet to see if that will jump-start my weight loss.

It IS all a matter of calories-in vs. calories-out. I find it easier and more satisfying to couple that with low-carb, high-fat/protein.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    It's actually surprising how few of one's daily calories are from exercise, compared to how many are just from being alive.
    Say, for me, my bmr (basal metabolic rate, how many calories my body needs just to keep me ticking over) is 1280
    Then, say, I'm completely sedentary, I get an extra 192, taking it to 1472
    Exercise may give me a few hundred on top of that (well, personally, quite a few hundred, as I'm very active), but nowhere near what my actual bmr is.

And yes, as others have said, carbs don't change the cico formula. Some people find low carb diets easier to maintain in conjunction with calorie deficits, but the only weigh to lose weight is to get that calorie defecit. Personally, I love carbs :)
  • tinaalvarado29
    edited February 2016
    Options

In MFP, if you set your activity level to "sedentary", it will estimate your "Total Daily Energy Expenditure" or (TDEE) assuming you are not exercising. Depending on your weight, height, and age, that can easily be 1700-2000 calories per day--WITHOUT added exercise. So you eat less than that TDEE, and you should lose weight

Ok I understand when I put all my info it put calories at 1200 so that's what iv been eating I started at 238 and I'm 5'4 I'm now at 230 but I have been there for about 5 days so I guess doing ok I think
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Give your diet a chance, 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to notice much. If you continue to struggle then yeah try something else but keep in mind low carb does not mean you don't have to count calories, you still do. The difference is you're eating more fats and protein instead of carbs, and it's meant to keep you fuller for longer.

Do whichever works best!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am on high carb and lost weight just fine.

just weigh ALL your food on a food scale. Count and log your calories. Create a deficit.
    And eat now ( in moderation and portion control) how you want to eat later when you are at your goal weight. (if you dont have any issues with certain food groups)

95069916.png

• sunniguy
    sunniguy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on a high fat, low carb diet and I'm losing weight. In fact, I can eat ~2500 calories a day (from fat and protein) and I still lose weight.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in following a LCHF way of eating (WOE), I suggest you check out the following main low carber forum group in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    sunniguy wrote: »
    I'm on a high fat, low carb diet and I'm losing weight. In fact, I can eat ~2500 calories a day (from fat and protein) and I still lose weight.

Low carb does not defy the laws of physics. You still have to eat less than your burn.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I find that being active is the ONLY way to manage fibro. I started with swimming in a warm water pool three times/week and built up my activity level from there over several years. I still try to limit myself to two hours of exercise/day because I tend to flare if I do too much. I also alternate high and low-impact activities. Stress and extreme heat/cold still cause me to flare occasionally, but most of the time I am able to be active now.

For me, a lower-carb diet is necessary for medical reasons not related to fibro...but I wonder if it is something that has been helping...

In other words, I don't know if it would be beneficial for you, but it might be worth trying.
  • tinaalvarado29
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input and advise
  • jikijo
    jikijo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on the LCHF/ketogenic diet for 2 months. I have lost 21lbs. My blood sugar levels are so level I no longer take meds for diabetes. So essentially this diet cured my diabetes. And my obesity:) I feel great! I am not hungry. As long as you eat enough fat you will not have to be hungry. The low calorie/low fat diets always fail because people are starving!