Low carb or Low calorie

Replies

• B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Low calorie or low carb?

Neither. Eat plants and grains (fruit, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains) in abundance and not only will you drop weight but your body can begin to heal itself of a bevy of issues. Plus, this diet is friendly to your heart, kidneys, colon, and immune system :smiley:

I know most people are not comfortable without "eating with caloric restrictions" but whole plants and grains are low calorie, nutrient dense foods; the fiber will fill your gut - so you will reach a point of fullness / satiety and caloric restrictions are not a concern. Despite you eating the same volume of food (by weight), whole plants and grains will result in less caloric impact :smile:

Resources (short list, google each for more info)
    • Dr. Ornish Dean
    • Dr. Esselstyn (Cleveland Clic)
    • Dr. Campbell
    • Dr. Gregor
    • Dr. McGregor / Nutritionfacts dot org
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    jikijo wrote: »
    I have been on the LCHF/ketogenic diet for 2 months. I have lost 21lbs. My blood sugar levels are so level I no longer take meds for diabetes. So essentially this diet cured my diabetes. And my obesity:) I feel great! I am not hungry. As long as you eat enough fat you will not have to be hungry. The low calorie/low fat diets always fail because people are starving!

I think myself and the large number of people who have lost weight calorie counting without starving ourselves would take exception to your last sentence.

Low carb is a fantastic tool for a lot of people, however the only reason you lost weight was due to reducing your calorie intake regardless of whether you were counting them or not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I have been on the LCHF/ketogenic diet for 2 months. I have lost 21lbs. My blood sugar levels are so level I no longer take meds for diabetes. So essentially this diet cured my diabetes. And my obesity:) I feel great! I am not hungry. As long as you eat enough fat you will not have to be hungry. The low calorie/low fat diets always fail because people are starving!

Losing weight improved your health markers not your specific way of hitting a calorie defecit

Great that you found a method that works for you be you can stick to. Great that you are losing weight and improving your health. I pretty sure that one cannot be cured of diabetes though unfortunately. Rather like asthma, I have been mainly symptom free through getting my weight under control with calorie control but am still and always will have asthma on my med records.

Your final sentence is ridiculous ...calorie control is how one loses weight whatever the method and whether it is conscious or not. I'm personally believe that severe restriction of food groups can be harder to stick with long term and IME low carb / keto plans made me crash and burn and I got the greatest weight upswings of all after falling off those WOE wagons
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    I love low carb diets. I feel better and not always hungry. My doctor told me that now they are discovering that low carb is the way to go. I don't remember which heart institute came out with a study but I think it was John Hopkins that fat and cholesterol is not the cause of plaque build up and heart disease. Sugar is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I love low carb diets. I feel better and not always hungry. My doctor told me that now they are discovering that low carb is the way to go. I don't remember which heart institute came out with a study but I think it was John Hopkins that fat and cholesterol is not the cause of plaque build up and heart disease. Sugar is.

lol
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Losing weight improved your health markers not your specific way of hitting a calorie defecit

Although of course the evidence shows differential effects based on dietary composition and improvements in blood glucose way faster than can be explained by weight loss :

voh31s9sycl5.png

from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.516.4496&rep=rep1&type=pdf using calorie deficit with 20% carbohydrate intervention vs 60% in controls. Obese Swedish diabetics. Group followed up in other papers to 44 months.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I am starting to gravitate towards a lower carb approach mainly because of the calorie content in carbs. So I eat more veggies and fewer fruit. Eggs for breakfast instead of polenta. But no, I'm not upping my fat calories.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    I did lower carb for a while and yes lost weight, but than my weight lose stalled and I ended up gaining 10 lbs back. I switched up my food and now eat a high carb, low fat diet and keep my calories were they should be and in a few weeks I lost what I put back on and have been losing weight every week since. You don't need to eat low carb to lose weight. I also find since I did this, I no longer crave foods, like salt, chocolate, caffeine etc and I only eat when I am hungry and have no problem stopping when I am full.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member

So whole natural foods are bad and dead flesh is good? I found this and it sounds like they are trying to find a new drug to help people with high cholesterol purge it out. If this article is for real? I will keep looking for this sugar causes cholesterol info. But I really don't think I will find it. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/johns_hopkins_scientists_alter_fat_metabolism_in_animals_to_prevent_most_common_type_of_heart_disease
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I don't remember which heart institute came out with a study but I think it was John Hopkins that fat and cholesterol is not the cause of plaque build up and heart disease. Sugar is.

Sorry but this is absolute insanity...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

Although of course the evidence shows differential effects based on dietary composition and improvements in blood glucose way faster than can be explained by weight loss :

voh31s9sycl5.png

from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.516.4496&rep=rep1&type=pdf using calorie deficit with 20% carbohydrate intervention vs 60% in controls. Obese Swedish diabetics. Group followed up in other papers to 44 months.

You are aware that your own graphic showed significant weight Loss in the group that improved their Glucose and barely any weight Loss in the other? Let me guess just from that graphic, calories we're not accounted for and the amounts waren only taken from recall. That about right?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member

So whole natural foods are bad and dead flesh is good? I found this and it sounds like they are trying to find a new drug to help people with high cholesterol purge it out. If this article is for real? I will keep looking for this sugar causes cholesterol info. But I really don't think I will find it. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/johns_hopkins_scientists_alter_fat_metabolism_in_animals_to_prevent_most_common_type_of_heart_disease

Do vegans/vegetarians really think that calling meat "dead flesh" will scare omnivores into compliance? That's rather funny because the Afrikaans word for meat is the English equivalent of flesh ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Eating low carb is a strategy you can use to help you, but when you loose weight, how will you eat after low carb?

And when you eat low carb, you still have to eat LOW CALORIE (calorie deficit).. So....

How will you know what will and will not work for you? Got to try it or just stick to the easy rule CICO.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016

I doubt that. Johns Hopkins (Johns please) continues to recommend changes in exercise, weight reduction and "dietary changes including reduced fat, cholesterol, and simple carbohydrates (such as sweets), and increased amounts of fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean meats."

High blood glucose can cause vascular damage over time - but it isn't the cause of plaque build up. It's a multifactorial event - the best thing you can do against it is ... exercise and weight loss. Dietary factors are secondary to that.

• Sbelcner
    Sbelcner Posts: 6 Member
    While pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I got used to eating low carb. Not only did it get my sugars in line, but it also kept me from gaining a whole lot. I only gained 22lbs. I got lazy with it until my 6 wk checkup when I saw the last 5 lbs lingering. (Too tired to cook so lots of eating out lol) now I'm back on it and doing a combination of low carb and low cal depending on what I'm eating. I gravitate to things higher protein and higher fiber bc I stay full longer with lower carbs. Sometimes dinner may throw me over my calorie limit but I'm mostly eating the meat s d veggies. I font own a scale lol but I can tell a difference already
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Give your diet a chance, 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to notice much. If you continue to struggle then yeah try something else but keep in mind low carb does not mean you don't have to count calories, you still do. The difference is you're eating more fats and protein instead of carbs, and it's meant to keep you fuller for longer.

Do whichever works best!

Would like the point out, that the items with the highest satiety ratings are protein and fiber. And in some cases starches. Personally, fats do not fill me up.
    sunniguy wrote: »
    I'm on a high fat, low carb diet and I'm losing weight. In fact, I can eat ~2500 calories a day (from fat and protein) and I still lose weight.

Interesting enough, so do I and I follow fairly high carb.. but one's calorie range to lose weight, is mainly based on their body composition and activity level. And if you are looking at the thermal effect of food, fat is the lowest energy as it roughly burns 2-3%, carbs are 5-6% and protein is 20-25%.

In the end, none of this matters if the OP can't stick with a diet. Dietary adherence is the MOST important factor in a sustainable diet. It honestly doesn't matter what the science says, if you cannot stick with it.

OP, you can give it a try for a few months. But before you start, make sure you understand the requirements for increased sodium to help balance electrolytes and help offset some of the flu symptoms, and understand the balance between fats and carbs.

Personally, i struggle without carbs, but many people do very well with it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

But of course you have no link or proof.
  • stefaniezoeller
    stefaniezoeller Posts: 3 Member
    Wow this looks like diet MMA...everyone has an opinion of what works and what doesn't, because what works for one may not work for the other..I tried vegan..felt weak..I tried lo fat. felt weak..i do lo carb..ATKINS..have lost 100 pounds look better and feel better than I ever have. i do NOT have high cholesterol or BP btw..but that's just what worked for me..Losing weight it trial and error but..in the end..it is simple..Calories in calories out keep the ones coming in lower than going out and you'll lose whether you sit down to a steak a bar of tofu or bowl of cocoa puffs. Whatever you chose to do..HAS TO BE MADE A WAY OF LIFE..not a quick fix diet or you will regain on ANY Way of Eating.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

voh31s9sycl5.png

So the control group, didn't really lose weight and thus didn't see any benefits of weight loss because they were basically uncotrolled as to their diet and likely weren't reducing calories. No flaw in that study. As usually, you just cherry pick and probably don't even read the studies you post.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited February 2016

voh31s9sycl5.png

And then look at the signal to noise ratios and ask yourself how meaningful these results are.