Valentine's Day chocolate if she's overweight?

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Do you ladies mind if we don't send chocolate or is that calling you fat without saying the word?

Looooooooooooooool.

I think it goes without saying that most women wouldn't take offence at a well intentioned gift although something in addition to the chocolates may be a nice gesture.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! If she was an alcoholic would you buy her a bottle of booze?! Personally I think chocolates as a gift are a cop-out - not much thought goes into grabbing a load of sugar-laden cr@p off the shelf. I'd go for flowers if you really can't think of anything 'special' but something a bit more thoughtful and personal to her would win you endless brownie-points. Women like to be noticed as individuals, not treated generically. Has she got a hobby? Does she wear a certain perfume? How about treating her to a nice meal out? Or a pretty item of jewellery (doesn't have to be expensive) or a pretty scarf or top in her style. Try and think of a gift that would really MEAN something, particularly if it's a valentines gift. Chocolates are the worst present imaginable, particularly if you're trying to lose a few pounds. X

ummmmm i love chocolates. but not the cheap ones you can buy in stores. not for something special. The ones i want, youve got to order.

80 pounds down says i can still have some flipping chocolate ;)

everyone is different.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MV5BMjQyODg5Njc4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzExMjE3NzE._V1_SX640_SY720__zpszowkmabp.jpg

And if she's not a Deadpool fan, you could always buy her a spatula.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Absolutely not! If she was an alcoholic would you buy her a bottle of booze?! Personally I think chocolates as a gift are a cop-out - not much thought goes into grabbing a load of sugar-laden cr@p off the shelf. I'd go for flowers if you really can't think of anything 'special' but something a bit more thoughtful and personal to her would win you endless brownie-points. Women like to be noticed as individuals, not treated generically. Has she got a hobby? Does she wear a certain perfume? How about treating her to a nice meal out? Or a pretty item of jewellery (doesn't have to be expensive) or a pretty scarf or top in her style. Try and think of a gift that would really MEAN something, particularly if it's a valentines gift. Chocolates are the worst present imaginable, particularly if you're trying to lose a few pounds. X

ummmmm i love chocolates. but not the cheap ones you can buy in stores. not for something special. The ones i want, youve got to order.

Haha! Ok, ok, you can haz your posh choccies!

I might be just hatin' on chocolates b/c I'm jealous that I can't have any!

Still though, in my mind, a special present is something that shows you notice her 'likes' n quirks, like a few posters above said. I love those presents, however small or 'silly', that makes me think "hey, this guy really pays attention - he gets me!".

Or, you could book a table in a fancy restaurant, and take her shopping earlier in the day for a sexy dress and heels, or some lingerie, or a pretty item of jewellery that she could wear on your romantic date and feel special. I felt like a princess when my OH did this when we first got together.

• justynegil
    justynegil Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    maybe make a nice home cooked healthy meal, & dark chocolate dipped strawberries?
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    me and hubby don't celebrate as its a waste of money especially so soon after xmas and new year and my jan birthday, his feb birthday and our feb anniversary lol
    but what about a home cooked meal by you? it could be reasonably low cal too
    im making a giant cookie for my hubby for our anniversary similar to - https://www.milliescookies.com/
    but usually I make some sort of treat, cake, brownies etc and make them low cal
    or im not sure if you have boomf? its marshmallow with photos on them - https://boomf.com/
    or like the others say small fancy chocs
    but a gift like a manicure or iceskating date would work just as well and if its exercise it works in with her diet
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you think she'll want chocolates and you know she's losing weight or struggling with losing weight then be mindful and perhaps buy a dark chocolate instead of a milk chocolate. It;s actually not bad for you in portion sized amounts.

I personally could careless about getting chocolate, I mean I LOVE chocolate, but that's something I can go out and get myself when I'm feeling it. I do love getting flowers though, but I think I'd rather spend my vday this year laying in bed with my boyfriend playing videogames, waiting for The Walking Dead to come on, perhaps a TWD marathon during the day. Nice lunch or perhaps dinner (at home or out doesn't matter).
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Or if my guy wanted to go out and do something, if he just took me to like petco or a shelter and let me play with all the cats and dogs i'd be *kitten* overjoyed. Until he told me I could adopt all the dogs and cats anyway :(
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Both me and the wife agreed this year, no candy. We are both trying to loose weight and tend to go overboard with this sort of thing. We are instead going to "save our calories" for a nice dinner instead.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As much as I like chocolate, I would prefer that my fiance didn't get it for me while I'm struggling to lose weight. I would know that he meant well, but if I don't have it, I can't eat it.

I would say if she's actively trying to lose weight, skip the chocolate. Or, if you still feel that you need to get chocolate, just get a couple chocolate covered strawberries instead of a huge box of sugar and calories. A lot of grocery stores sell 2-4 large chocolate covered strawberries in a box this time of year.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    wdf375 wrote: »
    Quality over quantity. Buy a four piece box from a high end chocolatier like John Kelly out of LA (they ship). It's a one off shop, you can't get it anywhere else that I know of, so it shows you put some thought into it. Plus it's some of the best chocolate you'll ever have, so maybe get a second box to stash for yourself.

They sell John Kelly at Central Market, or at least they had them at Christmas. Central Market sells a lot of high end hard-to-find food products like that. I've not been lately to see what they've stocked for Valentine's. They're doing a chocolate showcase this week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Anybody is welcome to give me any of these for Valentine's Day (or any other day for that matter.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Long stemmed roses and diamonds should do it
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Haha! Ok, ok, you can haz your posh choccies!

I might be just hatin' on chocolates b/c I'm jealous that I can't have any!

Still though, in my mind, a special present is something that shows you notice her 'likes' n quirks, like a few posters above said. I love those presents, however small or 'silly', that makes me think "hey, this guy really pays attention - he gets me!".

Or, you could book a table in a fancy restaurant, and take her shopping earlier in the day for a sexy dress and heels, or some lingerie, or a pretty item of jewellery that she could wear on your romantic date and feel special. I felt like a princess when my OH did this when we first got together.

Everyone is different though. I feel that going to a restaurant on Valentine's Day is the worst...we call it "amateur night" (Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and NYE all get this designation) because all the people who don't get out much are there and it's packed, obnoxious, overpriced, and the servers and kitchen are overworked. I don't think going out for a meal is particularly romantic and I do NOT want my husband participating in my clothing, shoes, or jewelry decisions. None of that would be something I would especially appreciate (other than being pleased that my husband did something) so I think it's kind of crazy to tell someone "nooo, don't get chocolate, do THIS instead" because, um, what if that's what she likes? Why are we judging the chocolate idea?

I say this as someone who hates the holiday and will not be acknowledging it in any way, but jeez. If I was into it I'd just be happy my husband tried, you know? For other stuff like my birthday and Christmas I'm always just happy that he cares about me and wants to do something for me, regardless of what it is. I'm not going to be that spoiled brat complaining that what he did wasn't good enough, you know?

(For the record, I'm on Team Get-The-Fancy-Chocolate-In-The-Little-Box because even someone losing weight can fit a portion-controlled quantity of chocolate into their diet...)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Got my wife a new dress.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Got my wife a new dress.

Don't you know that's the universal code for "Your clothes are ugly. Here, wear this."?
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I asked my husband not to get me chocolate this year unless it was a bag of Hershey's Bliss dark chocolate squares. I eat one, sometimes 3, of those a night. If you're in doubt don't do it, or get her one of those small heart shaped boxes that has like 4 pieces in it and when she gets it explain to her your thoughts behind not getting her a bigger box.

Flowers are always a good idea... so's jewelry :D
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    With Valentine's Day approaching I'm sure many guys here feel the pressure to buy your sweetheart flowers or chocolate. Should I still get her chocolate if she is struggling to lose weight? I know she loves chocolate but I think I should just get flowers and skip that part of the event.

Do you ladies mind if we don't send chocolate or is that calling you fat without saying the word?

NO CHOCOLATE!!!! Definitely SKIP it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    What about a chocolate diamond?!

http://levian.com/chocolatediamond/

Those are SO ugly.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have told my husband for many years to please not get me chocolates on Valentine's Day, but he always ignores the request, I think in an effort to not make a mistake and offend me. So I give him points for being super loving. But this year, I'm prediabetic and really really watching the sugars, so he said he will finally support me and not get chocolate. I prefer flowers anyway. I buy dark chocolate every now and then when I've just got to have it, but I never buy myself flowers.