Valentine's Day chocolate if she's overweight?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Is she paranoid ? I'm not bothered by getting chocolate while losing weight but I wouldn't think there was some message behind getting a different gift either.
    Get her something she likes if you typically exchange gifts. She probably likes something other than just food. Chocolate, jewelry or flowers are okay but aren't very creative or personal gifts. I love it when my dh gets me something unique like artwork or some great book because he knows I love to read. A couple of years ago he got me a print that was done on an antique book page. One year he made a recording him reading of a special poem for me.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning he doesn't have to ask what she wants specifically. But he knows she's trying to lose weight, she knows she's trying to lose weight, I see no harm in asking if she wants candy or something else.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    With Valentine's Day approaching I'm sure many guys here feel the pressure to buy your sweetheart flowers or chocolate. Should I still get her chocolate if she is struggling to lose weight? I know she loves chocolate but I think I should just get flowers and skip that part of the event.

Do you ladies mind if we don't send chocolate or is that calling you fat without saying the word?

You can skip the chocolate my dear because I don't care for it. Just bring me the flowers and a nice bottle of wine.

Seriously, my husband never buys me chocolate or sweets because he fears for his life. I really don't like the stuff. I prefer just going out to dinner the two of us and enjoying an evening together. And I do prefer the flowers to a plant, because I have too many plants and it is more work for me.
  • MaryMoCla
    MaryMoCla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents - stop the crazy consumerism around this fake holiday - forget the chocolate - sign the both of you up for dance lessons or something that you can experience together. Far more "romantic".
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I appreciate something less cliche than flowers and chocolate ... that said, I do still eat chocolate but it's 85% dark chocolate now, not the more sugary stuff.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always appreciate chocolate! I just eat smaller portions when I am trying to lose weight.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If it's important to her, then do it. I personally wouldn't be upset if I got no chocolate for V-Day. He did the cheesy flowers and chocolates when we were younger, nowadays we have other things to celebrate, no weird holiday needed.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If VDay is important to her, then for the love of dog,

Love this, going to use it all the time now

• piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes I think she will read between the lines and might feel bad. You know her best after all. How about instead of a box of them, melting some and doing a little Fondu with strawberries and fruits you can dip a little in and feed them to her? Just a few - very romantic!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! If she was an alcoholic would you buy her a bottle of booze?! Personally I think chocolates as a gift are a cop-out - not much thought goes into grabbing a load of sugar-laden cr@p off the shelf. I'd go for flowers if you really can't think of anything 'special' but something a bit more thoughtful and personal to her would win you endless brownie-points. Women like to be noticed as individuals, not treated generically. Has she got a hobby? Does she wear a certain perfume? How about treating her to a nice meal out? Or a pretty item of jewellery (doesn't have to be expensive) or a pretty scarf or top in her style. Try and think of a gift that would really MEAN something, particularly if it's a valentines gift. Chocolates are the worst present imaginable, particularly if you're trying to lose a few pounds. X
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Last year I got the GF a Groupon for a massage. She works hard and I felt like she needed to pamper herself.

That's a great one! A massage, manicure, pedicure or facial gift voucher would be a gift you would never forget. So thoughtful. X

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    How about some nice individually wrapped chocolates that can be eaten one at a time?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Get her a head of cauliflower.

It sorta looks like a flower, has "flower" in it's name, and it's healthy!

You can thank me later ;)

On a more serious note, I'm not a fan of the cliche flowers and chocolate for Valentine's Day. I like to get Mrs. Juggernaut romantic, but not traditional gifts - a massage gift certificate, something off her Christmas list that she didn't get, an overnight getaway, etc.

I remember back in college my friends got me a box of tomatoes for my birthday (knowing how much I love them) with all of their signatures and cute little messages written all over it, and I looked silly carrying around a box of tomatoes to remaining lectures. It was one of the best gifts I received that year, even though it was 9 broke college kids splitting a $3 gift. The fact that it showed they cared about me personally as if they were saying "we know your quirks and we love you for them" was more than enough to make me happy. So who knows, maybe a cauliflower is not as bad of an idea as it sounds for the right person.

Joking aside. You know her best, and the others have already covered the chocolate topic. Whatever you end up doing, make sure to put some thought and love into it.
  • wdf375
    wdf375 Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Quality over quantity. Buy a four piece box from a high end chocolatier like John Kelly out of LA (they ship). It's a one off shop, you can't get it anywhere else that I know of, so it shows you put some thought into it. Plus it's some of the best chocolate you'll ever have, so maybe get a second box to stash for yourself.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get her a head of cauliflower.

It sorta looks like a flower, has "flower" in it's name, and it's healthy!

You can thank me later ;)

On a more serious note, I'm not a fan of the cliche flowers and chocolate for Valentine's Day. I like to get Mrs. Juggernaut romantic, but not traditional gifts - a massage gift certificate, something off her Christmas list that she didn't get, an overnight getaway, etc.

I remember back in college my friends got me a box of tomatoes for my birthday (knowing how much I love them) with all of their signatures and cute little messages written all over it, and I looked silly carrying around a box of tomatoes to remaining lectures. It was one of the best gifts I received that year, even though it was 9 broke college kids splitting a $3 gift. The fact that it showed they cared about me personally as if they were saying "we know your quirks and we love you for them" was more than enough to make me happy. So who knows, maybe a cauliflower is not as bad of an idea as it sounds for the right person.

Joking aside. You know her best, and the others have already covered the chocolate topic. Whatever you end up doing, make sure to put some thought and love into it.

I thought we were the only ones being weird. My husband is obsessed with tomato paste and canned tomatoes, will add it to everything, and then I end up complaining because I cannot find any when I am trying to cook and often have to modify recipes to replace tomato sauce with white sauce last minute. Plain tomato paste or tomatoes with nothing added. My gift to him one year was a box filled with his favourite cans. He definitely loved it :)
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of high quality chocolates, gold, and gems but I'm good with any gift. It's the thought that counts with me.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    We don't really do Valentines Day here in NZ (although retailers still try to get our hard earned $$), but I would do something cute and a bit naughty like paint some melted chocolate on your lips and give her a chocolate kiss.

"....Honey I know you love chocolate And you love me so I thought I'd combine the two!..."

Win Win!

She gets:
    * A taste of chocolate
    * Romance
    * No guilt for wanting chocolate but not wanting chocolate - its a tough emotion
    * Not to feel embarrassed if you brought it up. She knows the score if she is struggling, let her make the decision to go get chocolate but have a small box (4) of high quality ones ready to go if she hints she really feels like chocolate.

Follow up with a walk at sunset and tell her what she means to you
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wdf375 wrote: »
    Quality over quantity. Buy a four piece box from a high end chocolatier like John Kelly out of LA (they ship). It's a one off shop, you can't get it anywhere else that I know of, so it shows you put some thought into it. Plus it's some of the best chocolate you'll ever have, so maybe get a second box to stash for yourself.

I was going to suggest along the same lines - a single (or very small box) very high quality chocolate over a Whitman's Sampler, you know? Something delightful and novel and a definite treat is a gift I would love way more than a generic box of chocolates, and I would appreciate that my husband was able to help me indulge without making it feel like I'm pummeled with candies that I would feel almost obligated to eat because they were a gift.
  • ForeverMagnolia
    ForeverMagnolia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if my boyfriend gave me chocolates for Valentine's day, I would see it as the opposite message. Instead of saying "You're fat," I would interpret it as "You're not fat, so I'm not worried about giving you a few chocolates to enjoy."
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. I would love a few chocolate covered strawberries...yum!