Valentine's Day chocolate if she's overweight?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Get her a head of cauliflower.

It sorta looks like a flower, has "flower" in it's name, and it's healthy!

You can thank me later ;)

On a more serious note, I'm not a fan of the cliche flowers and chocolate for Valentine's Day. I like to get Mrs. Juggernaut romantic, but not traditional gifts - a massage gift certificate, something off her Christmas list that she didn't get, an overnight getaway, etc.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    its one day , if she wants the chocolate she should have the chocolate ...and the indulgent dinner
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Tough to tell. I told my husband flat out, no food for Vday. You know something sparkly never goes amiss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would ask. "Hey, are you eating chocolate these days or not?"

Last year on my birthday I took the day off work. I heard my husband ask my daughter if she wanted a donut. A few minutes later, keys in hand, he said "I'm going to Dunkin' Donuts. I'll be back in a few minutes." Hooray, birthday donut! Right? Nope. He came back with donuts for him and her, that's it. He assumed I wouldn't want one because of the calories. I assumed he would know that I wouldn't care about calories on my birthday. We were both wrong.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    What about a chocolate diamond?!

http://levian.com/chocolatediamond/
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is Valentine's day, not Chocolate day. Unless you two have a long standing tradition where for the last 20 years you have been bringing her chocolate, since you already have reservations about chocolate being the right choice, time to become a bit more creative :)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We always do chocolates... but since we lost weight together, we opted for a shared 1lb instead of 1lb each!

If it's tradition, do it. Otherwise, don't worry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's one of those 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' kind of thing sadly. I say get her chocolates, but a small box of very tasty ones.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Yes, the perfect celebration of a fake holiday is the gift of an inflated market based on the deaths of children.

*nailed it*
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Tough to tell. I told my husband flat out, no food for Vday. You know something sparkly never goes amiss.

It does if the woman is picky about those things. Either she has to keep it to prevent having the SO feel badly and be pissed that money was wasted and she has to wear something she doesn't like, or she takes it back and SO is annoyed because he thought he was doing super special and it wasn't appreciated.

With some couples, jewelry (and clothing) is a no-win situation unless it's presented as 'here's a gift certificate, pick what you like'.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and still eat some most days! I would suggest individually wrapped/fun size chocolates so she only has to eat one or two pieces at a time. I had a 37 calorie dark chocolate dove heart today that was fabulous!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would ask. "Hey, are you eating chocolate these days or not?"

Last year on my birthday I took the day off work. I heard my husband ask my daughter if she wanted a donut. A few minutes later, keys in hand, he said "I'm going to Dunkin' Donuts. I'll be back in a few minutes." Hooray, birthday donut! Right? Nope. He came back with donuts for him and her, that's it. He assumed I wouldn't want one because of the calories. I assumed he would know that I wouldn't care about calories on my birthday. We were both wrong.

It's so hard to support someone losing weight, I'd imagine! I hope he split his doughtnut with you ;)
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    No way. Chocolate can start a binge. Get her a gorgeous fruit basket. Harry and David has to die for pears. No Chocolate!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If she is trying but struggling to lose weight.. I'd stick with flowers and maybe a cute date. Take her skating perhaps! No need to even bring up chocolates. They're less standard a Valentine's gift than people think IMO.

I don't think it's like calling her fat without the words. Personally it shows that you care and are supportive. But I'm also not inclined to take offence at things like that so it really depends how sensitive she is. Have you given her chocolates every single other year? Would it seem amiss to her?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Get her just a few REALLY expensive, nice chocolates in a fancy box. That way it's still a decadent, thoughtful gift, but it's not too much of a dieting setback.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes, the perfect celebration of a fake holiday is the gift of an inflated market based on the deaths of children.

*nailed it*

Woah!.gifWoah calm down there, crazyface.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled if hubby gets me a small box of expensive/handcrafted chocolate. It's something I wouldn't normally buy for myself and we could share it after dinner :)
    Geez. Now I want chocolate lol.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would say no to the chocolate. Get something else like a cute stuffed animal with the flowers. Or jewelry. I am always relieved when my boyfriend doesn't give me chocolate.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

*nailed it*

Woah!.gifWoah calm down there, crazyface.

Ha ha ha my thoughts exactly. Pretty sure the original post about a chocolate diamond wasn't meant to be taken seriously . . . or even if it was, let's all just be happy :)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    There are lots of suggestions, but I don't see my preference:

Two or three, decadent, rich chocolate truffles. Sure, they're going to have a few more calories than you average Hershey's Kiss, but you only buy a couple/few of them. It gives her the chocolate fix in a way she might not get to enjoy that often (i.e. fancy), and it doesn't bust her diet.