Valentine's Day chocolate if she's overweight?

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
With Valentine's Day approaching I'm sure many guys here feel the pressure to buy your sweetheart flowers or chocolate. Should I still get her chocolate if she is struggling to lose weight? I know she loves chocolate but I think I should just get flowers and skip that part of the event.

Do you ladies mind if we don't send chocolate or is that calling you fat without saying the word?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I ate chocolate even when I was losing weight. I would have personally considered it a thoughtful gift. But women are individuals and if someone is in doubt about how a gift will be received, it may be a good idea to just ask.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If VDay is important to her, then for the love of dog, you had better do something even if it's not chocolate. Personally, I'd get chocolate and then plan something else in case the chocolate doesn't go over well, but not doing something will likely get you in more trouble than getting unwanted chocolate.

• Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My husband (fiance at the time) got my an edible arrangement last Valentine's Day... Sweet but practical when I was trying to lose weight for the wedding!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat chocolate all the time lol

if youre giving it as a gift, opt for a smaller box of higher quality chocolates.

i would also do something else in addition to it ;)
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If chocolate is a tradition for the two of you or something, skipping it might be taken the wrong way if she's sensitive, but otherwise just get creative and give her something else!

I will add to this - the only thing that is SURE to get you "in trouble" is probably to give her, like DIET chocolate, haha, no sugar added or Skinny Cow brand or something. ;) Don't do that.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I told hubby no sweets- put the cash he would have used on an iTunes gift card. If he gives me chocolate I would not feel supported.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If she loves chocolate and is likely to expect some, maybe a smaller box of expensive, high quality chocolates would be a better choice than a huge selection box.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    do something different with the money that she would appreciate, like a massage. flowers and chocolate are so cliché anyway :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am with @samgamgee . One very, very good chocolate can set you back nicely.

And GUYS. The world is full of flowers that aren't a dozen long stem red roses. Get a tip from your florist and do something different this year.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate all the time. I'd actually prefer to be given flowers, then go out to have a piece of cake together.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Nicci93 wrote: »
    My husband (fiance at the time) got my an edible arrangement last Valentine's Day... Sweet but practical when I was trying to lose weight for the wedding!

^^^THIS^^^ I love Edible Arrangements, I was gonna suggest the same thing!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    @_Waffle_ this is a good question.

I would say, if she's open with you about her effort to lose weight, then just ask her! "Hey love/sweetie/honey/schnookums, I was wondering if chocolate is something you would enjoy for Valentine's day this year, or if you would like to go a different route if you feel it will help you with your health goals."

When I was really struggling, my sweetie left me one truffle every day the whole month of February :) It was perfect! I couldn't binge, and got in a great habit that I keep to this day (one dark chocolate piece per day keeps the sadness away).

If you don't feel like you could ask her this question, then at most get her a TINY box of very very special chocolates (just 2-4 little fancy truffles)...not those cheap drug-store monstrosities. There are lots of other options too! Go out for a fancy dinner, flowers, go on a beautiful hike/picnic together, treat her with a fancy charcuterie picnic (cheese/dried meats/pickles/olives/crackers/veggies), buy a fancy bottle of wine, just shower her with attention, compliments, and things she loves :D
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to the lady! Use what you know about her to get her something appropriate (ie: jewelry, something from her favourite store or a gift card). If she still is eating chocolate in moderation, get her something small you know she'll like :) And if you don't give her chocolate it's definitely not calling her fat- especially if you give her something more thoughtful to her interests and you know, don't draw attention to it by saying something like "I didn't get you chocolate because I know you're watching your weight."
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If she really loves chocolate, hit up a chocolatier and buy her a small amount of a super fancy chocolate or a few special truffles. Quality over quantity (even if she splurges, it won't be more than a few hundred calories), plus it shows you put effort in.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    emaybe wrote: »
    If she really loves chocolate, hit up a chocolatier and buy her a small amount of a super fancy chocolate or a few special truffles. Quality over quantity (even if she splurges, it won't be more than a few hundred calories), plus it shows you put effort in.

This!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the woman. If she avoids chocolate on a daily basis or has expressed problems with overeating chocolate then not giving chocolates or giving only a small box would probably be best. It could show that you are aware of her habits and care enough to support them.

If she regularly eats chocolate and has no problems with portion control then give her chocolates if you'd like.

You could also opt for something like Edible Arrangements. They have bouquets available where some of the fruit is dipped in chocolate.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    do something different with the money that she would appreciate, like a massage. flowers and chocolate are so cliché anyway :)

Agreed. Take her out, do something fun!

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    +1 for the smaller amount of better chocolate if it's already a thing you do for Valentine's.

Otherwise, I'd either ask her directly if she'd rather you do something else (my relationships are always up-front that way - I'd have already told you 'no candy for Valentine's, please' if it was a concern), or if you don't think a direct question would go over well make sure the something else is thoughtful enough that she doesn't think about the 'usual' chocolates.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult one, isn't it? My mum knows I'm trying to lose weight and the last time I visited, she gave me several jars of high-fat pesto sauce and fancy pasta etc. I was pretty annoyed by that because usually she tells me that I SHOULD be watching what I eat and then I do and she puts yummy things in my larder...

With a boyfriend it would depend on a variety of circumstances: If I've ASKED him to keep all the sweets away from me, I'd probably get somewhat upset because I'd feel he's not respecting my wishes. If it's a tradition or if he knows I'm big on the self-control AND I haven't said anything, some high-quality chocolate would be welcome.

But really, chocolates are kinda unimaginative anyway, aren't they? My favourite presents have always been those where I get to spend time doing fun things with my boyfriend. So, why not make a nice voucher for a hike to a super-nice place, maybe with a packed lunch that you've weighed out, in case she wants to log it? And hey, there can be one pretty chocolate in there, too! Or a trip to a museum she's always wanted to see? Or a spa treatment...

I also wonder how the guys feel about this. I've never been interested in VD and in Germany people rarely celebrate it, so what would a girlfriend get for a boyfriend who's trying to lose weight?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »
    If chocolate is a tradition for the two of you or something, skipping it might be taken the wrong way if she's sensitive, but otherwise just get creative and give her something else!

I will add to this - the only thing that is SURE to get you "in trouble" is probably to give her, like DIET chocolate, haha, no sugar added or Skinny Cow brand or something. ;) Don't do that.

I agree with this. It will absolutely send the message 'you don't need any chocolate' if she is use to receiving it on this day. If she is (use to receiving it) buy some super high quality stuff...there's nothing better