Just walking

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great form of exercise, especially if you enjoy it!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow walkers!
    I've been stuck in all day today and I'm craving the fresh air and my walk. Off to the woods tomorrow with Freddie. :)
  • star1407
    Options
    Bump
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking. Running a lot these days too, but I keep with the walks: ~1hr every day during lunch. Runs come after work now.
  • star1407
    Options
    I started with just walking. Running a lot these days too, but I keep with the walks: ~1hr every day during lunch. Runs come after work now.

Do you have a favourite place to walk? Like scenery etc?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    My legs are tired from golfing this weekend. Golfing miles alone were 20 miles. We have a combination of rain and snow at the moment so no outdoor walk today. I will do a walking video after lunch and call it day.
  • star1407
    Options
    Awesome guys. It's absolutely hammering it down and Gail force winds here in Essex uk, so I'm holding off the walk in the hope it calms down a bit!
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So I've really started to make a point to walk at least 3 miles a day. However having started doing this I've been experiencing pretty bad shin splints. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    So I've really started to make a point to walk at least 3 miles a day. However having started doing this I've been experiencing pretty bad shin splints. Anyone have any suggestions?

I too suffer form shin splints. I have done the recommended exercises and still have them. Some days are worse than others. For the most part I just push through. Bumping this for some helpful hints.
  • star1407
    Options
    I don't know if it will help you but I swear by this stuff I get from the pound shop. It's a little pot called oriental balm. I rub it into my legs and also on my son's legs when he gets muscle pain or growing pains.
    It seems to work with a lot of different types of pain so I'd say try it.
  • lgay14
    lgay14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Love reading all your posts. Way to go walkers! I have been walking for a lot of years now. I do a variety of walks - treadmill, walking poles, hikes and love them all. I live just south of Winnipeg Manitoaba Canada. Winnipeg is affectionately known as Winterpeg and with good reason: cold, snow and lots of windchill factor. So I have a treadmill on which I do my 10,000 steps minimum at about 3.5. I also have a beautiful 85 lb black retriever/newf cross named Rigel who just loves his walks no matter the weather. So we go out no matter what and that will usually add an additional 7,000-8,000 steps. Yesterday it was 50k winds and wind chills of -30 Celsius but I invested in extra warm Canada Goose parka so off we went despite the weather. We have a lovely provincial park near us so most days it is walks at the lake. The park road and some of the campground roads are plowed so we can walk the park most of the winter. We also live on 3 acres with pathways that my hubby keeps cleared all winter too. Outdoor walking is so much better than indoor but I get a much better workout in the winter on the treadmill in the winter months. navwpm5zen1t.jpeg
    "KEEP CALM AND WALK ON"
  • star1407
    Options
    lgay14 wrote: »
    Hi all. Love reading all your posts. Way to go walkers! I have been walking for a lot of years now. I do a variety of walks - treadmill, walking poles, hikes and love them all. I live just south of Winnipeg Manitoaba Canada. Winnipeg is affectionately known as Winterpeg and with good reason: cold, snow and lots of windchill factor. So I have a treadmill on which I do my 10,000 steps minimum at about 3.5. I also have a beautiful 85 lb black retriever/newf cross named Rigel who just loves his walks no matter the weather. So we go out no matter what and that will usually add an additional 7,000-8,000 steps. Yesterday it was 50k winds and wind chills of -30 Celsius but I invested in extra warm Canada Goose parka so off we went despite the weather. We have a lovely provincial park near us so most days it is walks at the lake. The park road and some of the campground roads are plowed so we can walk the park most of the winter. We also live on 3 acres with pathways that my hubby keeps cleared all winter too. Outdoor walking is so much better than indoor but I get a much better workout in the winter on the treadmill in the winter months. navwpm5zen1t.jpeg
    "KEEP CALM AND WALK ON"

Wow what a beautiful place to live, like a magical snowy wonderland! Your doggy is gorgeous! My Freddie has never seen snow, I can't wait until he experiences it for he first time :D
  • lgay14
    Options
    Hello from Manitoba Canada again. Winter walking is going well. Have surpassed my minimum step target three days in a row. Treadmill walks are going but not nearly as nice as our afternoon walks outside. Our winds finally died down so the windchill have been much more tolerable. Rigel is loving his freedom at the provincial park. During the off season he can be off-leash and he takes full advantage of the smells. Lots of fishing shacks set up on the lake so we stick to the woods so he is not tempted To "help" the guys ice fishing. Our groundhogs predicted an early spring last week. I hope they are right so I can ditch the treadmill and get outside for my power walks. Have a great day everyone. Keep calm and walk on!
  • lgay14
    Options
    Star1407 looks like your Freddie and my Rigel would be great friends - love their toys and being outside.
  • star1407
    Options
    Igay I think you are right!
    Freddie loves being off lead and running through the leaves and trees or swimming, oh my goodness he loves swimming!
    Lol I don't suppose he'd be a very popular helper with the fishermen!
    We've got snowdrops on the ground and daffodils too! Our season is all messed up due to our mild winter. We normally get bluebells in April and that is my favourite time in the forest. We can only take Fred on the beach between October and march which is a shame as he loves the sea
  • lgay14
    Options
    Star1407. Rigel would swim in a puddle if he could. Parks need to have designated doggie swimming areas. LOL!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a walk in the "liquid sunshine." Honestly, once I get out there and get going, I hardly notice the rain. Gotta have my walks.

When I started 20 months ago I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile without excruciating pain and rest stops. My goal was to walk one mile without stopping within the first year of working out & weight loss. I accomplished that within 3 months, and by my 1 year anniversary, I walked a 10K at 17 min/mile with no stops. I have two 10Ks planned this spring/summer. I live in the US Pacific Northwest and we have lots of gorgeous places to walk. Keep it going everyone!
    67388953.png

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Are there any other people who just do walking as their exercise?

Due to my disability, I am severely limited to what exercise I can do, but I'm just out of a flare up and managed to have a lovely walk in the woods with my best mate this morning. I love nature so the woods is one of my favourite places, I love the beach too on a cool, crisp sunny day

Share your walks..znt8n3qn42yb.jpeg

Are you familiar with Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home? She has many dvd's on walking fitness. She has a view posted on YouTube as well. There is a group on MFP that you can join as well.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/335-leslie-sansone-walk-at-home
  • star1407
    Options
    Yes thanks, a couple of people have mentioned her to me. I watched a YouTube vid of hers, it's a little fast for what I can manage when I'm pain but I may well try it and pace myself a little.
    Thank you for the suggestion, it's very kind of you :)