Can't live without Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• SeeEmilyShrink
    SeeEmilyShrink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on the kind of ice cream you are eating, but most of them are going to have a much higher calorie AND fat content than a frozen banana and a little almond or peanut butter.
    And the mixers I suggested were just options. You can add whatever you want, or nothing at all. It's absolutely delicious just by itself, banana flavored! It is still a better alternative to full fat ice cream, especially if you are eating the kinds with candies or cookie doughs in them.

• SeeEmilyShrink
    Options

The awesome thing is, you don't HAVE to live without ice cream! It's all about balance and moderation! I would suggest allowing yourself one cheat meal and one cheat snack a week. This helps keep you motivated to stick to your calorie and eating goals the rest of the week! Your cheat snack could be a serving of ice cream or even a sundae. Also, there are plenty of healthier options you could incorporate as snacks, such as frozen yogurt, Skinny Cow ice cream treats, or frozen fruit bars. Also, have you ever heard of Nice Cream?! That is what I do now when I get a craving for ice cream! It's awesome! It's made out of a frozen banana. That's it! You cut it up and put it in the freezer overnight. The next day, put it in a food processor. It takes a little while, but if you keep chopping it and blending it up, it will get to the consistency of frozen yogurt. Once it gets to that consistency, you can add in a Tablespoon of peanut butter and a little honey, some berries, some cocoa powder, or even dark chocolate chips! Then, you blend it for a couple more seconds. Take it out, put it in a container, and stick it in the freezer for an hour to two. It is then the same consistency of ice cream, and you can scoop it out and enjoy! I love how much you can customize it, and it's super low cal and so much healthier and lower in fat than traditional ice cream!

Doesn't "nice cream" have about the same calories as ice cream? I hear this suggestion all the time, but I don't think it is a low calorie alternative to ice cream.

Also if you add honey it's not "nice cream" anymore. :D But yeah, don't do it for the calories, do it for the enjoyment!

Not quite sure where you are getting this from, but it's still nice cream, even if you add a teaspoon of organic honey!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The awesome thing is, you don't HAVE to live without ice cream! It's all about balance and moderation! I would suggest allowing yourself one cheat meal and one cheat snack a week. This helps keep you motivated to stick to your calorie and eating goals the rest of the week! Your cheat snack could be a serving of ice cream or even a sundae. Also, there are plenty of healthier options you could incorporate as snacks, such as frozen yogurt, Skinny Cow ice cream treats, or frozen fruit bars. Also, have you ever heard of Nice Cream?! That is what I do now when I get a craving for ice cream! It's awesome! It's made out of a frozen banana. That's it! You cut it up and put it in the freezer overnight. The next day, put it in a food processor. It takes a little while, but if you keep chopping it and blending it up, it will get to the consistency of frozen yogurt. Once it gets to that consistency, you can add in a Tablespoon of peanut butter and a little honey, some berries, some cocoa powder, or even dark chocolate chips! Then, you blend it for a couple more seconds. Take it out, put it in a container, and stick it in the freezer for an hour to two. It is then the same consistency of ice cream, and you can scoop it out and enjoy! I love how much you can customize it, and it's super low cal and so much healthier and lower in fat than traditional ice cream!

Doesn't "nice cream" have about the same calories as ice cream? I hear this suggestion all the time, but I don't think it is a low calorie alternative to ice cream.

Also if you add honey it's not "nice cream" anymore. :D But yeah, don't do it for the calories, do it for the enjoyment!

I "love" it when vegan recipes are altered to include animal products. :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im not a huge ice cream person.

but i sure do make sure my whiskey and chocolates fit ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The awesome thing is, you don't HAVE to live without ice cream! It's all about balance and moderation! I would suggest allowing yourself one cheat meal and one cheat snack a week. This

It's not a cheat meal or snack if you've made it part of your regular calorie count. Cheating would be going over your goal or eating some food you normally omit.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    All the time. :)
    I just had a fudge bar. It was delicious. 81 calories of frozen goodness!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and/or ice cream every night! I make sure it fits in my daily calories!
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ooo ice cream is one of my favorites. I like to make my own with frozen bananas so I don't feel too guilty :)
  • SeeEmilyShrink
    Options

Nice cream doesn't have to be vegan! It can, but does not have to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options

Not quite sure where you are getting this from, but it's still nice cream, even if you add a teaspoon of organic honey!

It was Nice because it was vegan. Honey is not vegan, as bees are exploited in order to produce honey.
  • SeeEmilyShrink
    Options
    The awesome thing is, you don't HAVE to live without ice cream! It's all about balance and moderation! I would suggest allowing yourself one cheat meal and one cheat snack a week. This

It's not a cheat meal or snack if you've made it part of your regular calorie count. Cheating would be going over your goal or eating some food you normally omit.

I was just suggesting saving it for a cheat. Sorry if I worded it in a confusing manner! It doesn't have to be a cheat. If working it into your daily allotted calories works for you, then do that! I was just suggesting a way to make it a weekly treat instead of a daily option, as that works better for other people.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It was created as a vegan recipe, an easy homemade alternative to dairy ice cream. I just find it odd when people alter vegan recipes to add animal products back, that's all.
  • kshama2001
    Options

People who want to stick with the spirit of the recipe could use maple syrup.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

People who want to stick with the spirit of the recipe could use maple syrup.

Tastes vary, but I find bananas so sweet that I don't even sweeten it most of the time (especially if I've added berries).
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The problem is that if you force yourself to cut out things that aren't realistic for you to cut out, you can become depressed, start to associate ice cream with emotional triggers, and become more likely to overindulge. Labeling certain foods as "bad" or "guilty pleasures" can cause problems in the long run. It's actually better to make allotments instead of treating it as a "treat" or "reward". So it's better to cut down portions in your other meals to make room for your one serving of ice cream. I do this for my cups of tea (as I have to put sugar in them). That or ramp up your exercise either by increasing intensity or increasing the duration to burn more calories.

One thing you can consider doing to get more bang for your buck is to swap ice cream for frozen yogurt or sherbert. I love Mango sherbert and chocolate frozen yogurt as much as ice cream, but they have about 1/2 or 1/3 of the calories. So I can have 2 or 3 times as much!

It's all about trade offs and balance. If you can find a way to fit your ice cream in, then by all means, do so. However, also make sure that you aren't sacrificing nutrition for empty calories, as this will hurt in the long run too!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I would suggest allowing yourself one cheat meal and one cheat snack a week.

ONE cheat snack a week? Say whatttttt? There's no need to be that restrictive. Have treats whenever you can when it fits into your daily/weekly calorie goals.

The fact is most people on lower calorie diets don't have much room to fit a bunch of treats into their diet without compromising basic nutritional needs.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I had gone through a phase of needing to have ice cream everyday and I gained about 30 lbs in a 2 year period. It's ok to indulge in your favorite foods once in a while, but try to find other alternatives (sherbet, low fat, skinny cow or frozen yogurt) and instead of everyday, try maybe once a week.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Sometimes

Also pineapple coconut flavored frozen yogurt is great
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Me! A couple nights per week I measure out about 1/2 a cup (exact grams depends on flavor/how many calories I have left). Last night it was cookies & cream.

Sometimes I buy the light/diet bars, but I don't like the flavor as well. So I try to make room for the good stuff.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it's way too cold here for ice cream. Or salads.