The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    This sucks. I got the flu. Cold hands, sneezing, pain behind eyes, cough and sweating. I hate being bed bound

Sorry man. Get well.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I know you ladies are pretty fashionable and may not want to do this. But I usually make a trip to the thrift store (Huntsville has like 20 of them all over the place) and get a cheap used sweat hoody or 2 for like 3 or 4 dollars each.

I did something similar to that for my HM last October, except I used my own clothes that were destined to go to Goodwill. These were clothes from when I was 45 pounds heavier. Since then I've found a few other shirts that I can use for the same purpose.

Another thing I did was go to the local home improvement store and picked up several pair of cheap cotton "jersey" gloves to use before a race, and during the first couple of miles if needed. I think I paid $1 a pair for them on sale.

NS--Premium-Weight-Brown-Jersey-Work-Gloves---Standard-Size_16000681_800705474_0_0_14028810_300.jpg

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05
    2/11 7.5 miles - 77.55

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Fleet Feet has a chocolate fun run tonight. My wife wants me to do it with her, so I will be doing a second run tonight at "recovery" pace. There is a 3 and 5 miler. Not sure what we are doing.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I know you ladies are pretty fashionable and may not want to do this. But I usually make a trip to the thrift store (Huntsville has like 20 of them all over the place) and get a cheap used sweat hoody or 2 for like 3 or 4 dollars each.

I did something similar to that for my HM last October, except I used my own clothes that were destined to go to Goodwill. These were clothes from when I was 45 pounds heavier. Since then I've found a few other shirts that I can use for the same purpose.

Another thing I did was go to the local home improvement store and picked up several pair of cheap cotton "jersey" gloves to use before a race, and during the first couple of miles if needed. I think I paid $1 a pair for them on sale.

I know the dollar store has similar cheap cotton gloves.

• angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been having some motivation problems this week. I bailed out on two runs just minutes after starting, just couldn't get myself to do it. I'm trying not to dwell and just focus on my next opportunity, but does anyone have any advice for getting yourself to keep going when you don't want to?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Newbie welcome to @cwolfgram

@5BeautifulDays and @WhatMeRunning: Thanks for the mention of hip/glute strengthening exercises. I will hijack that info for myself.

@kristinegift; 12 miles is a “short” run like the U.S. has a “tiny” national debt

Remember how in January I was talking about beautiful 50 degree weather? Single digit temps this morning, minus double digit windchills..that’s Ohio for ya. Think we’re looking at a night run.

@GBrady43068 Haha well 12 miles split into two 6 milers feels short! It's all relative ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    angie_kins wrote: »
    I've been having some motivation problems this week. I bailed out on two runs just minutes after starting, just couldn't get myself to do it. I'm trying not to dwell and just focus on my next opportunity, but does anyone have any advice for getting yourself to keep going when you don't want to?

Walking is always good when I don't want to run.. Or I bribe myself to get out, usually with energy drinks and sour candy. Not the best example, but it gets me out. Might try a no calorie Powerade or something.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

However, I did get to try out my new shoes that were delivered yesterday! They're Saucony Breakthrus; they just came out with Breakthru 2s, so some of the originals were on sale on Amazon for 50% off. Saucony promotes them as a shoe on a continuum between Kinvaras (what I used to wear all the time) and Rides (what I wear now), so I thought I'd give them a go. They're a bit firmer than my Rides, but I think they'll be a good short race/speed work shoe.

See picture below of how pretty the new shoes are (and the big goodies haul I got with my $20 of reward points from my running store last night!).

eyhbft7q4fd2.png

I love Saucony Rides! May have to look into the Breakthru. I love Picky Bars even more! As I don't "refuel" during runs (yet), I eat them as healthy snacks at work and/or keep them in the car for "emergencies". Love the food and the company behind it!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Have someone drop you off at whatever distance your run is that day. Then there's no other way to get back home except on foot.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.
    2/5 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/6 - Life day...too busy to squeeze in a run :-(
    2/7 - 5.4 windy miles, but warm for Feb.
    2/8 - Another life day. Wife's mother in hospital not well, so she is out of town...gotta get kids to school, etc.
    2/9 - 4 miles on treadmill. Convinced all three kids to go to the Y with me after dinner.
    2/10 - No run :no_mouth:
    2/11 - Not looking promising for today. May try to get to the Y this evening after my daughter has basketball. Ugh! My "single parent" status is putting a big damper on my ability to exercise.

Upcoming Races:
    2/13/16 - Red Flannel Run (5 mi.)
    4/9/16 - Beer and Bagel Off-Road (~4 mi.)
    4/30/16 - HyVee Road Races Half
    6/4/16 - Dam to Dam Half
  • angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Have someone drop you off at whatever distance your run is that day. Then there's no other way to get back home except on foot.

I like this idea a lot, I will try it tonight. I have been running on the treadmill because I've been getting home after dark but tonight I'll be home early enough to go outside. Thanks for the idea!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Try not to focus on the rest of your run. On how long it will be, or how fast/slow it should be, or the hills you might encounter or whatever it is that is keeping your mind from letting you enjoy your run. Shut it all out and just focus on how good it feels to be running at that moment. Free yourself of any expectations for the run you are doing. I think that is what often bogs us down. Expectations of what we think we have to do or should be doing. Remember that nobody is forcing you to run. You are out there because you love doing it and you love how it makes you feel. When I start to get burn out in the depths of marathon training, I take a day and leave my Garmin at home and I just go run and set no expectations of how long or how far or how fast I will go. I just run until I feel satisfied with my run and then I head home, always feeling rejuvenated.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I've been having

Dang @7lenny7! You're hardcore! Yet, also practical..
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for February

2/3 – 3.58 Mi
    2/4 – 3.63 Mi
    2/6 – 4.24 Mi
    2/7 – 6.12 Mi
    2/9 – 4.41 Mi
    2/11 – 5.40 Mi

Progress toward Goal 27.38 / 70
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @instantmartian I've been stalking the weather, too! I agree, 20 mph wind would not be awesome, at least not waiting around. I don't mind it while I'm running, though, especially if it's at my back...makes me faster, lol!

@7lenny7 Good idea on the gloves!
    I know you ladies are pretty fashionable and may not want to do this. But I usually make a trip to the thrift store (Huntsville has like 20 of them all over the place) and get a cheap used sweat hoody or 2 for like 3 or 4 dollars each. That way when they come off, you don't care if you don't ever see it again. If you have someone at the finish waiting for you, pack an extra sweatshirt and pants or tights in a bag and have them hold it for you.

When you begin a race, you should be a little chilly. If you feel comfortable at the beginning, you will be warm by the second or third mile which will raise your heart rate as your body will be pumping "cool" water filled blood to your running muscles to cool down. Raised heart rate and sweating more than you need to is not a way to begin a race. Just a couple of things to think about.

That is just what I plan to do! I actually think 50s is way easier to plan for than the 20s-30s we've been having here. My MLK 8k was 17 degrees--I was overdressed for running but couldn't tolerate the waiting bits without the extra clothes. All I need for FL is a throwaway fleece and a couple disposable handwarmers for while I wait.

I already sweat in a most un-princess-like manner, and I'm afraid of chafing above all else, so I know I need to stay cool!
    lporter229 wrote: »
    At most bigger races, they have a volunteer crew that picks up all of the discarded clothing along the course and they give it to homeless shelters or other charities. They also have boxes at the start and at various spots along the course for this purpose. The start of the Columbus marathon last October was 28F. I discarded a long sleeve shirt and a pair of cheap gloves around mile 5. I later heard that they collected over a ton of clothing from the race.

When I was running in the Marine Corps 10K last fall, someone stopped dead in her tracks in front of me to pick up some gloves dropped by an earlier runner. Her running group was all, "hey--keep moving! we're in a race!" and she just laughed and said "but they're North Face!" It was pretty funny, although almost tripping over her wasn't! I don't intend to drop anything super expensive, but I do like the idea of wearing something nice enough to be useful to someone if it gets donated.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Guys, I'm concerned. My knees hurt like I've twisted them. My run yesterday was long for me, but slow and uneventful. I did squats and wall sits at PT on Tuesday, but again, nothing out of the ordinary. Is there anything I can do to make them feel better? I didn't ice when I got home (I know--that's probably part of the problem) is it too late to do so now? I'd prefer heat, but don't want to do that if it might make it worse...

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

2/7 Rest
    2/8 5 @ 11:23 on the treadmill. Knees were giving me a little trouble at the beginning but warmed up ok.
    2/9 3.25 @ 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    2/10 11 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. Dear goodness golly that was awful.
    2/11 Rest
    2/12
    2/13
    (19.25/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - If the run only set you back one day, that's pretty cheap tuition in the school of hard knocks. Now you have an example of what "shouldn't run today" feels like.

Yes, definitely get the hinge brace. I have no idea how it supports the knee, but I've learned that when a medical professional tells me to use something to support an injured part of my running chain, there's a good reason to use it. I might not understand the reason, but that doesn't mean I don't need it.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @virkati how was the run?
    @elise4270 thanks for playing mailman
    @kristinegift love the new kicks
    @adrianchr92 sorry you aren't feeling well feel better
    @moyer566 I won't complain about the 19F it's supposed to be at the start of my 5K this Saturday since you are looking at 1F
    @stoshew71 Skip and I were going to come down to FF tonight, you know I want to see the dog LOL, but she's got some health issues that are keeping her home and I don't want to be that far away from her.

PT was great today, after next week I'm going from twice a week to once a week. I haven't had any pain doing normal things (like moving) some discomfort when I run, but I haven't run since Saturday. Life has been a bit of *kitten* lately so I need to make sure I get my run done in the morning from now on.

You have to love my PT's KT tape, that's looking down at my knee.

o7cazf9hieb5.jpg

Upcoming runs:

2/13 - Hug a Cub 5K
    4/10 - Bridgestreet HM
    5/30 - Cotton Row 10K

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Still on running hiatus (only one 5 miler this month, so far). I did, however, do my first ever spin class today. It was an intense workout, and didn't bother my ankle, so I'll call it a win. Anything to keep my legs in shape while coddling my gimpy ankle. And I'll stick that class in my repertoire of things to do on occasion--wasn't the most exciting thing I've ever done, but it was a solid workout and good cross training.

This injury has been great for one thing--broadening my horizons. Did a yoga class on Tuesday, then spin today. I'm branching out all over the place!