Friends who dance! Is lifting a must?

Options
124»

Replies

• eva_letsdance
    eva_letsdance Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I do pole dancing. I get my body weight and cardio in all at once. I would probably lose the weight quicker if I lifted, but my money goes to pole. I don't make enough money to go to pole and go to a gym. Pole is life. But I do believe that both strength training and cardio are important. I wouldn't ignore one. Even if you replace 1 or 2 of your dance classes a week with some form of strength training is better than no strength training.

lol love your pic! Never tried pole dancing but I heard it is a lot of fun! :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    I've been dancing my whole life (since I was 2). I was mostly lean mass when in my best shape using only dance, walking, and very small weights/body weight exercises. I find body weight way more interesting than lifting weights (like planking, power yoga, partnered ab exercises, barre work of various sorts, etc.). Some of that is incorporated into classes I go to. I need to add more, but in my limited experience, you can get lean and toned without lifting heavy. It just won't be as dramatic, and you won't be able to build huge, dramatic muscles without lifting heavy (unless you put in TONS of time/reps).

I have to agree that when I was partner latin dancing and instructing zumba, i was in the best shape of my life. Now, I am incorporating lifting three times a week, starting small weights. What type of dancing do you do or did?
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    cicamica77 wrote: »

I have to agree that when I was partner latin dancing and instructing zumba, i was in the best shape of my life. Now, I am incorporating lifting three times a week, starting small weights. What type of dancing do you do or did?

Ballet is my first love, and I dance en pointe. But I also do jazz, hip hop, and a little modern here and there. I did tap and acrobatics for many years, but can't find a class time that works for me now. I also did liturgical and clogging for a few years, but also don't have the opportunity to do that right now.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started ballroom dancing about 9 months ago (smooth and Latin) and I am HOOKED. Ideally, I dance for at least an hour, either in lessons or socially, at least 4 nights a week.

I don't find it quite enough work at this level (lots of basic group classes, which just don't get my heart rate up) to do a whole lot for me. And it has shown, as I've been lazy otherwise. I'm working on adding more cardio outside the studio (walking, cycling), and have slowly been putting in some body weight exercises.

I did Crossfit for awhile and had a serious love-hate relationship with it. I loved the feeling of accomplishing some pretty amazing things for myself, but I hate working out for the sake of working out (probably why I love dancing and cycling so much). I saw the benefits, but once warm weather and long days rolled back around, I wanted to be outside!

My goal is to keep up with the body weight and light weight stuff at home, with hopefully getting back into the swing of more yoga. I don't have the time or money to get to the gym, so I have to do it at home, when I can cram it in between things. I agree with you, OP! For me, lifting is boring. I do understand why it's necessary to do some strength training, but lifting just doesn't make me happy like other things do!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do pole dancing. I get my body weight and cardio in all at once. I would probably lose the weight quicker if I lifted, but my money goes to pole. I don't make enough money to go to pole and go to a gym. Pole is life. But I do believe that both strength training and cardio are important. I wouldn't ignore one. Even if you replace 1 or 2 of your dance classes a week with some form of strength training is better than no strength training.

Thanks. :smile: Pole is a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of hard work. When you get to the more difficult portions your hanging upside down, doing handstands, and other things like that. But it's some of the most fun I've ever had, especially while working out.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options

Ballet is my first love, and I dance en pointe. But I also do jazz, hip hop, and a little modern here and there. I did tap and acrobatics for many years, but can't find a class time that works for me now. I also did liturgical and clogging for a few years, but also don't have the opportunity to do that right now.

Nice variety of types! :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    I started ballroom dancing about 9 months ago (smooth and Latin) and I am HOOKED. Ideally, I dance for at least an hour, either in lessons or socially, at least 4 nights a week.

I don't find it quite enough work at this level (lots of basic group classes, which just don't get my heart rate up) to do a whole lot for me. And it has shown, as I've been lazy otherwise. I'm working on adding more cardio outside the studio (walking, cycling), and have slowly been putting in some body weight exercises.

I did Crossfit for awhile and had a serious love-hate relationship with it. I loved the feeling of accomplishing some pretty amazing things for myself, but I hate working out for the sake of working out (probably why I love dancing and cycling so much). I saw the benefits, but once warm weather and long days rolled back around, I wanted to be outside!

My goal is to keep up with the body weight and light weight stuff at home, with hopefully getting back into the swing of more yoga. I don't have the time or money to get to the gym, so I have to do it at home, when I can cram it in between things. I agree with you, OP! For me, lifting is boring. I do understand why it's necessary to do some strength training, but lifting just doesn't make me happy like other things do!

Have you ever went dancing at a latin club? When I go with friends, we dance our heart out and when you partner dance, even more strenuous! I love it! My heart rate is up for 4 hrs!!! lol
  • eva_letsdance
    Options

Thanks. :smile: Pole is a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of hard work. When you get to the more difficult portions your hanging upside down, doing handstands, and other things like that. But it's some of the most fun I've ever had, especially while working out.

A friend in costa rica goes to a great class snd loves it. I want to try it for sure!!!!
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift weights. I have a friend who will not lift weights unless she's doing a program like P90X because she just doesn't like it. Find what you like and do that.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    You don't have to lift weights. I have a friend who will not lift weights unless she's doing a program like P90X because she just doesn't like it. Find what you like and do that.

Very true! Great profile pic :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Everyone should do some form of strength training (it needn't be weights) for the very practical reason that we all (male and female) start losing lean muscle mass as we age and pretty much the only proven treatment is exercise.

On top of that strength training compliments almost every other type of activity.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    Everyone should do some form of strength training (it needn't be weights) for the very practical reason that we all (male and female) start losing lean muscle mass as we age and pretty much the only proven treatment is exercise.

On top of that strength training compliments almost every other type of activity.

Thanks for your response :)
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here. I used to lift on a regular basis, but a new job threw my schedule off and I fell out of it. I started ballet last year and was worried about my ankles that have always been troublesome. My teacher recommended strength training to help strengthen all around. Since I got back into lifting, my lifting form has been better because of what I have learned in ballet and my ballet form is better because I am stronger/more flexible and can hold poses longer from lifting. It's a win-win all around! Good luck!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    Options

Have you ever went dancing at a latin club? When I go with friends, we dance our heart out and when you partner dance, even more strenuous! I love it! My heart rate is up for 4 hrs!!! lol
    Social dancing and private lessons definitely get my heart going way more, but that's only about half of my dance time a week. Group lessons, while great for learning, are fairly easy, cardio wise. If I'm in a more advanced class and we're working a lot on advanced smooth frame, it is HARD work, and can leave me pooped. But still not the same as a couple of good hours of social dance!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Social dancing and private lessons definitely get my heart going way more, but that's only about half of my dance time a week. Group lessons, while great for learning, are fairly easy, cardio wise. If I'm in a more advanced class and we're working a lot on advanced smooth frame, it is HARD work, and can leave me pooped. But still not the same as a couple of good hours of social dance!

The difference is you're learning a skill rather than trying to work out.

The two are not the same thing- it's like when people say they dance- and they are talking about zumba. IMHO- it's not really dance class- you're "dancing" yes- but it's fitness oriented not really dance- because a dance class would have technique and focus on body alignment and technical steps. not just moving.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I promise you that you can maintain strength, muscle and bone density throughout your life without lifting weights. You do, however, need to provide some form of resistance. But there are many ways to do this that are not as boring as lifting weights (I too find it boring).

• eva_letsdance
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here. I used to lift on a regular basis, but a new job threw my schedule off and I fell out of it. I started ballet last year and was worried about my ankles that have always been troublesome. My teacher recommended strength training to help strengthen all around. Since I got back into lifting, my lifting form has been better because of what I have learned in ballet and my ballet form is better because I am stronger/more flexible and can hold poses longer from lifting. It's a win-win all around! Good luck!

Thanks!!!! :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    I promise you that you can maintain strength, muscle and bone density throughout your life without lifting weights. You do, however, need to provide some form of resistance. But there are many ways to do this that are not as boring as lifting weights (I too find it boring).

Thanks for your input! :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The two are not the same thing- it's like when people say they dance- and they are talking about zumba. IMHO- it's not really dance class- you're "dancing" yes- but it's fitness oriented not really dance- because a dance class would have technique and focus on body alignment and technical steps. not just moving.

It depends on the instructor. My class consists of actual dance moves from all over and my students loved it. They toned faster and found it more strenuous than other zumba classes. I incorporated some of the basic zumba steps, but I wanted ppl to dance. :)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I agree. Which is also why I have made a point to be sure and add other forms of cardio and some strength training into my days. It just hasn't been enough. I am sure if I danced 3 or 4 nights a week like I did tonight (a very intense private lesson plus two hours of social dancing) I would see a difference! But that's not the case. But the skill learning make the social stuff more fun!