Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Splenda is an artificial sweetener. Stevia is natural so you're better off going with stevia.

Be under no illusion, you have been duped by marketing. Most stevia products, especially truvia ARE artificial sweeteners.

Ask yourself this, how did they make granulated sweetener from a plant?

In any case, OP, I personally wouldn't worry about these sweeteners as we've studied them for many years and they seem to be safe.

I personally prefer the taste of sweet n low, but i don't mind splenda. In my opinion, stevia (in drop form) tastes awful and should be avoided. The granulated stevia like Truvia tastes okay, but it's far too expensive considering it's just another artificial sweetener and there is nothing more "natural" about it other than Coca Cola's marketing. :)

Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the Stevia rebaudiana plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A. The various glycosides are separated and purified via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent.

Water and alcohol. Then drying them.

edited my post. The real answer in the case of these products is, they mixed it with an already existing sugar alcohol. According to the FDA-

In December 2008, the FDA gave a "no objection" approval for GRAS status to Truvia (developed by Cargill and The Coca-Cola Company) and PureVia (developed by PepsiCo and the Whole Earth Sweetener Company, a subsidiary of Merisant), both of which use rebaudioside A derived from the Stevia plant.[63] However, FDA said that these products are not Stevia, but a highly purified product.[64] In 2012, FDA posted a note on its website regarding crude Stevia plant: "FDA has not permitted the use of whole-leaf Stevia or crude Stevia extracts because these substances have not been approved for use as a food additive. FDA does not consider their use in food to be GRAS in light of reports in the literature that raise concerns about the use of these substances. Among these concerns are control of blood sugar and effects on the reproductive, cardiovascular, and renal systems."[65]

My point is simply that this is not a "natural" "better" "more wholesome" sweetener but infact an artificial sweetener with great marketing.

It is not worth more money, and doesn't taste as good.

Even if it was just natural stevia it wouldn't be better. A lot of natural things are poisonous to us.

Only because you've already broken that mentality. Look at the above posts...

"Splenda is an artificial sweetener. Stevia is natural so you're better off going with stevia."

"It had a really weird taste to us, almost like no taste (sweetness) at all. I guess I'm just so used to the chemical taste of splenda, but regular sugar doesn't bother me. When i made my husband coffee he says splenda tastes like card board. I've been mixing them half and half, I intitally was hoping to switch to truvia since i figured, yeah, natural may be better down the road as they learn more about sucralose."

"I have used NuNaturals Pure Liquid Clear Stevia from the health food store for about 5 years now. Truvia is powdered stevia...which is a natural sweetener. I used to use Equal and I just didn't feel right after using it. I was bloated and sluggish. Natural works for me and cuts out the sugar calories."

"I wouldn't touch sucralose with a ten foot pole. Personal choice, I can taste the chemical/chlorine taste"

"Does anyone have personal testimony on their experiences with truvia/splenda (not the kinds like aspartame that clearly have their issues)?"

Almost every single post is running on the idea that chemicals = bad and "natural" = good

True dat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As a diabetic in remission, I have lots of reasons to avoid both the calories and the insulin spike that I get from adding granulated sugar to my drinks. I, also, get bored with plain water. I use whatever artificial sweetener is on hand; truvia, stevia, splenda, aspartame, sugar alcohols, sweet-n-low, whatever is in Crystal Lite, and whatever is in Mio.

No noticeable adverse health effects so far. I do suffer if I don't drink enough water.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I decided, to stay ahead of health issues, to cut coffee back to one cup (decaf)

No reason to do that. Mayo says up to 4 cups. I have seen other studies that say more is fine and there is no amount that is "bad."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Does anyone have personal testimony on their experiences with truvia/splenda

I use splenda and like it. I switched from sweet and low as I was finding S&L harder to find and started getting use to the taste of splenda.

I've seen some debate on this and wanted some further insight on this subject.

(not the kinds like aspartame that clearly have their issues)?

No, they don't.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

The war on artificial sweeteners has no basis in science. If you have reaction to one, don't use. If you don't like the taste, don't use it.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    What Nuke says. Use whatever tastes better, if you need to. I am a diabetic, so I avoid sugar, since I count carbs, and generally use Splenda, and have for years to no ill effect, because I like my coffee (lots of it) sweet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, have you tried flavored tea? I'm not sure where in the world you are, but there are lots of black and green teas available with either mint leaves or fruit rinds added in to give a "sweet" flavor with no calories. If you start with that, you may be able to get away with lots less sweetener. And in general, you can try cutting back a little on how much sweetener you add, and then give yourself time to get used to that. Then cut back a little more.

Having said that, there is no proof that any artificial sweeteners are harmful, and any studies that question that usually involve ridiculous amounts of the stuff. It's understandable though that you don't want to be using 15 packets a day or whatever, so maybe just try slowly but surely cutting back a little at a time.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Any kind of artificial sweetener leaves a bad taste in my mouth- like chemicals (I can usually taste it immediately) and I get major headaches/bloating. Granted since stevia is natural does not cause headaches/bloating, but still leaves that weird taste. So I don't take sweeteners in any of my drinks.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    To the OP - what does your Endo have to say about sugar and artificial sweeteners and thyroid disease?
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cant stand anything with the taste of "diet". Aspartame, sucralose, stevia etc all taste horrible to me. I have found that no sweetener is better than that. I now prefer things unsweetened and even if a drink has regular sugar in it I have grown to dislike it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I've seen some debate on this and wanted some further insight on this subject.

About two years ago I started drinking coffee and I have to have it sweet so I've always used (4) Splenda (until I run out, then its sugar). I was having as many as 2-5 cups (usually caffeinated) a day. I decided, to stay ahead of health issues, to cut coffee back to one cup (decaf) a day in the morning and all other times drink tea in which I ALSO use 3-4 packets of Splenda/truvia. Part of this is because I cannot (or rather do not like to) drink plain water (never have liked drinking it)...so my water intake was maybe 1 cup a day and thats not healthy. Tea gives me much needed H2O and it has additional benefits that coffee doesnt. Way better choice than soda, right?

Does anyone have personal testimony on their experiences with truvia/splenda (not the kinds like aspartame that clearly have their issues)?

I have hypothyroidism treated with synthroid and I've been doing some further reading on it and have found differing opinions on sugar and sweeteners in relation to thyroid disease.

That is a LOT of sweetener, both per cup and per day. Did you switch from soda or juice to coffee? When you use sugar in coffee, how much do you use?

I started with one rounded teaspoon of sugar per cup of tea and gradually tapered down to a level 1/2 teaspoon. I don't miss the extra sugar. I was never a soda or juice drinker, so never had an expectation that beverages need to be super super sweet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch sucralose with a ten foot pole. Personal choice, I can taste the chemical/chlorine taste, plus as a chemist I have an abiding distrust of pretty much all organochlorine compounds as food.

@tomteboda - I have a distaste for the chemically taste as well.

Would you please expand on the bolded?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    As a diabetic in remission, I have lots of reasons to avoid both the calories and the insulin spike that I get from adding granulated sugar to my drinks. I, also, get bored with plain water. I use whatever artificial sweetener is on hand; truvia, stevia, splenda, aspartame, sugar alcohols, sweet-n-low, whatever is in Crystal Lite, and whatever is in Mio.

No noticeable adverse health effects so far. I do suffer if I don't drink enough water.

Crystal Light is aspartame, Mio is sucralose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Crystal Light is aspartame, Mio is sucralose.

Love them both.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes bitter to me, easily the worst of all non-sugar sweeteners. Sucralose is probably my favorite followed by aspartame and then saccharine. I've been consuming all of them for years and years with zero side effects.

Another alternative is sugar alcohols. They occur naturally in food but can also be synthesized in a lab. You'll have to decide for yourself whether that makes them natural or artificial - assuming that sort of thing matters to you. Sugar alcohols, IMHO, taste better than all other sweeteners except sugar itself, however they are not calorie free. They also tend to have a laxative effect on most people so you'll be sorry if you overindulge.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have. They're all more or less ok. I prefer aspartame the most, however.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    303lissy wrote: »
    Straying a bit from the original post, but I used to put a lot of sugar/splenda in my coffee (liked it extra sweet too). I realized all that extra sugar definitely wasn't good for me, and probably neither was the splenda, so I forced myself to drink black coffee for a week. I'm 100% caffeine addicted and would be a monster with a migraine without it. After the week, I switched back to adding milk and 1 packet of splenda or a little sugar, and now I'm happy with the sweetness. Something to consider if you're looking to decrease the sugar/sweetener intake in general.

Thanks for that idea! I actually have been thinking about that. I've cut way back on sweet things (like dessert) and am at the point where some things if I eat to much I get sick of the sugar. I started today with less sugar in my coffee (truvia, and it tasted better in my coffee w/ milk vs. tea with water) and it actually still tasted really sweet. I think I will continue to ween myself down. Maybe that will help with other sweet cravings once in a while.
  • blancoms
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hey OP, have you tried flavored tea? I'm not sure where in the world you are, but there are lots of black and green teas available with either mint leaves or fruit rinds added in to give a "sweet" flavor with no calories. If you start with that, you may be able to get away with lots less sweetener. And in general, you can try cutting back a little on how much sweetener you add, and then give yourself time to get used to that. Then cut back a little more.

Having said that, there is no proof that any artificial sweeteners are harmful, and any studies that question that usually involve ridiculous amounts of the stuff. It's understandable though that you don't want to be using 15 packets a day or whatever, so maybe just try slowly but surely cutting back a little at a time.

Oh yeah, I have about 12 different kinds of black, green, and herbal tea in my kitchen! Although you are right, the more naturally sweet teas I probably could add less sugar than normal and I wouldn't notice. I think I just had this idea in my head that normally I use 4 packets so I need 4 packets in every cup for each flavor. Time to experiment with that!
  • blancoms
    Options
    To the OP - what does your Endo have to say about sugar and artificial sweeteners and thyroid disease?

I've never seen one actually. I had a primary care doctor who had hypo too, but after two visits I had serious concerns about her medical training. My mother is a doctor of osteopathic medicine and anytime I talk to her about food/diet/losing weight she pretty much says what everyone says, work out and watch what you eat!
    I had complete blood work done 10 months ago (gonna get it redone soon) and everything came back in normal range (glucose, cholesterol, and all other normal type panels).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch sucralose with a ten foot pole. Personal choice, I can taste the chemical/chlorine taste, plus as a chemist I have an abiding distrust of pretty much all organochlorine compounds as food.

Sucralose is sugar that's been modified to bear chlorine atoms in place of the hydroxyl functional groups that would naturally hang from the carbon backbone. Having greater electronegativity at these points, but a slightly more compact molecular electronic density surface (cloud), sucralose binds more tightly & bonds more strongly to taste receptors. That's why it's "sweeter". It's marketed as being non-digestible, but approximately 1/3 of the population has enzymes that can and do break apart the chlorine atoms from the main backbone and allow for metabolism of the carbohydrate. Because its present in much smaller quantities than an equivalent sweetening power of sugar, the calories associated are, under most human intake patterns, very small.

The thing is, organochlorine compounds are frequently DNA intercolators, leading to a variety of problems (tetragenicity, carcinogenic effects, metabolic interferences etc). While mouse studies on the safety of sucralose have not indicated this problem, I have been unsatisfied with the thoroughness of the conclusion that they are entirely safe. Study design and scope are important, and I am not convinced by what I've read.

I have some professional expertise, as I'm a scientist with peer-reviewed publications in major journals on carbohydrate metabolism, protein/protein & protein/ligand & protein / DNA interactions and also in DNA binding of drugs and have spent 20 years studying these things.

This body of knowledge makes me uncomfortable with sucralose, and so I personally avoid it. I have the suspicion it's going to eventually be found as one of those things we thought were benign my turned out to be not so great. As a case in point, look at bisphenyl-A (which is itself the victim of a great deal of anti - chemical hysteria as it only leaches under very specific conditions).

I'm no anti-chemical hysterist, but personally I'd rather avoid sucralose. I recognize that I could be wrong. However, this is not a gamble that I find myself willing to take at this time.

N.B.
    A cell phone is a very non-optimal tool for writing any detailed post using scientific terms.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Sucralose is sugar that's been modified to bear chlorine atoms in place of the hydroxyl functional groups that would naturally hang from the carbon backbone. Having greater electronegativity at these points, but a slightly more compact molecular electronic density surface (cloud), sucralose binds more tightly & bonds more strongly to taste receptors. That's why it's "sweeter". It's marketed as being non-digestible, but approximately 1/3 of the population has enzymes that can and do break apart the chlorine atoms from the main backbone and allow for metabolism of the carbohydrate. Because its present in much smaller quantities than an equivalent sweetening power of sugar, the calories associated are, under most human intake patterns, very small.

The thing is, organochlorine compounds are frequently DNA intercolators, leading to a variety of problems (tetragenicity, carcinogenic effects, metabolic interferences etc). While mouse studies on the safety of sucralose have not indicated this problem, I have been unsatisfied with the thoroughness of the conclusion that they are entirely safe. Study design and scope are important, and I am not convinced by what I've read.

I have some professional expertise, as I'm a scientist with peer-reviewed publications in major journals on carbohydrate metabolism, protein - protein & protein/ligand & protein / DNA interactions and also in DNA binding of drugs and have spent 20 years studying these things.

This body of knowledge makes me uncomfortable with sucralose, and so I personally avoid it. I have the suspicion it's going to eventually be found as one of those things we thought were benign my turned out to be not so great. As a case in point, look at bisphenyl-A (which is itself the victim of a great deal of anti - chemical hysteria as it only lakes under very specific conditions).

I'm no anti-chemical hysterist, but personally I'd rather avoid sucralose.

Is sucralose the only one you have issue with?
  • blancoms
    Options
    That is a LOT of sweetener, both per cup and per day. Did you switch from soda or juice to coffee? When you use sugar in coffee, how much do you use?

I started with one rounded teaspoon of sugar per cup of tea and gradually tapered down to a level 1/2 teaspoon. I don't miss the extra sugar. I was never a soda or juice drinker, so never had an expectation that beverages need to be super super sweet.

A long time ago (years) I drank juice and soda in limited quantities, but now its hardly ever even in the house. I wouldn't say I traded anything for it. Sugar, I probably use 3 tablespoons in drinks (although its beginning to be too sweet). I definitely will be trying to decrease the sweetener no matter what I use.