Do you eat peanut shells?

Options
When eating peanuts served in the shell, do you shell them and only eat the nut, or do you eat the shell?

Replies

• curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Uhhh no.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I didn't know you could eat the shell. Do you mean the papery brown covering between the shell and nut, or the actual outer shell?
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lmao wut no??
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The outer, thick grey shell goes in the trash, unless you're an elephant; I eat the inner red papery layer, but most people discard that as well.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The outer, thick grey shell goes in the trash, unless you're an elephant; I eat the inner red papery layer, but most people discard that as well.

This
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could eat the shell. Do you mean the papery brown covering between the shell and nut, or the actual outer shell?

I mean the shell that holds the (usually) 2 nuts. Like if you went to a steakhouse that provides buckets of shelled peanuts you'd just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

I did just yesterday with some friends and they were both eating the whole thing. Despite the obvious germs that are probably on these in a steakhouse setting, I'd never seen anyone do it. Just wondering if my friends are psychos (as suggested above) or this is something many people do.

After a few beers I did give it a try. It was surprisingly not bad. Crunchy and very salty, but easily chewed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Really? People do eat these card boardy shells? Is there any nutritional value to it?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Really? People do eat these card boardy shells? Is there any nutritional value to it?

Good question. I looked on the USDA nutrient site but they don't seem to have it (which likely means they don't consider an 'edible portion'). I would imagine it has a good deal of fiber judging by the feel of it when chewed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Fiber?

And, I guess, if you like the taste and/or texture, sure.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There's fiber in them but you also run the risk of blocking up your intestines.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If it's not harming you...whatever floats your boat lol
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat them hahaha tried to eat sunflower shells too once... let's just say the end result wasn't a good one :s

ETA: I do it cause that's where the salt is :/ maybe I'm a bigger weirdo than I thought?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Uh, wow, I've never heard of that. If I was at Texas Roadhouse (assuming that is the restaurant you are referring to, or similar) and saw people eating the whole thing I would assume they had a few too many alcoholic beverages.

Don't think that's something I'd like to try, but thanks for trying it for us and letting us know!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

I mean the shell that holds the (usually) 2 nuts. Like if you went to a steakhouse that provides buckets of shelled peanuts you'd just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

I did just yesterday with some friends and they were both eating the whole thing. Despite the obvious germs that are probably on these in a steakhouse setting, I'd never seen anyone do it. Just wondering if my friends are psychos (as suggested above) or this is something many people do.

After a few beers I did give it a try. It was surprisingly not bad. Crunchy and very salty, but easily chewed.

I vote psychos :wink:
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That just sounds awful. Reminds me of the kiwi's we just bought. The package said you can even eat the peel. :o
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    There's fiber in them but you also run the risk of blocking up your intestines.

Oh? Why/how?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it's not harming you...whatever floats your boat lol

You can probably even build a boat with the stuff :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Once, when I was in GA, I got some boiled peanuts at a convenience store (because they are in every convenience store in GA). On the first few, I ate the shell because it was soft from being boiled and less messy than removing the soft shell. It was also very tough and stringy. I won't be doing that again.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When eating peanuts served in the shell, do you shell them and only eat the nut, or do you eat the shell?

I thought that was a health risk due to aflatoxin?