Juicing

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    grumpylupe wrote: »
    Wow, this community is kind of a bully when you're not doing things their way. I get it, you don't approve, but I'm still going to do my juice fast either way. Some comments were actually nice, but most are very negative and rude. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll know better next time when i have a question.

If you see the presentation of facts as bullying it is probably a good indicator of a need to reevaluate your actions. Your log told you the truth about your unhealthy intake. The films you watched are countered by science. As already noted, you are neither detoxing nor rebooting no matter what fallacies the pseudo documentaries claim.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Science.....yes!
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Juicing does not work for everyone if they don't stick to it and consuming too few calories is the whole point to reboot your system so that I can recharge detox and start again but from a better place. Hence "juice fast". There is a lot of fiber in some fruits such as apples. I have added supplements to make sure I'm not in danger of any vitamin or mineral deficiencies. I just wish they had a juicing option.

If your body were a computer, you could reboot it. If it had batteries, you could recharge it. But it isn't a computer, and it doesn't have batteries, so you don't need to do either of those things.
  • grumpylupe
    grumpylupe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have a problem with facts, you have a problem with the manner in which you tell me your facts. And to presume you know more than some doctors who approve this method is ridiculous.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • db34fit69
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "some doctors who approve this method"

"Your logical fallacy is... appeal to authority"
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have a problem with facts, you have a problem with the manner in which you tell me your facts. And to presume you know more than some doctors who approve this method is ridiculous.

No doctor would approve. And if they do I would find a new doctor. The science is quite clear.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Science is conducted by humans, that's the only drawback. "To err is human...." and boy do they get it wrong!

fat is evil...no, fat is ok
    eggs are bad for you...no, eggs are good for you
    coffee is bad for you...no, coffee is good for you
    wine is bad for you...no, actually some wine is good for you
    eat fish...but beware of mercury
    eat chicken..but beware of all the antibiotics they are pumped full with etc etc etc

Pluto is a planet... Pluto is no longer a planet...Pluto is back as a planet

why can't they make up their minds?

It all depends who you listen to and when you listen to it. What today is truth, tomorrow might be very wrong.

Lupe... just do what you like. It is your life. Everything works for someone. Nothing works for everyone the same way
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Emi1974 wrote: »
    Science is conducted by humans, that's the only drawback. "To err is human...." and boy do they get it wrong!

eat chicken..but beware of all the antibiotics they are pumped full with etc etc etc

It all depends who you listen to and when you listen to it. What today is truth, tomorrow might be very wrong.

Lupe... just do what you like. It is your life. Everything works for someone. Nothing works for everyone the same way

Are you saying juicing for months is a good healthy way to lose weight?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

As far as I know, starving yourself has always been a bad thing.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Without more details, it's really hard to say the impact that the juicing will have on you. But the MFP warnings exist to help promote healthy and sustainable weight loss goals. That is the reason they give warnings for any diet that falls below certain levels, in an effort to help people lose weight in a safe and healthy manner.

Most juicing diets would be considered very low calorie diets (VCLDs) and are not allowed to be promoted here on this site, nor are they considered safe without having a doctor or other professionals involved. This is due to the fact that any extremes of calorie reduction, even when under medical supervision, should be done with modified diets that often increase protein levels in an attempt to preserve muscle.

Depending on how low your calorie intake is your water and carb levels will be depleted, and at that point your body will essentially start using muscle for fuel if it reaches that extreme.

Please reconsider using the low calorie methods. If you want to juice, you can do it in much more healthy ways, such as the protein you mentioned. You could also make smoothies rather than juice, and that would give you the added benefit of keeping the fiber in the fruits and veggies you are juicing.

I do agree that tact should be used in communication, but people are attempting to give you information that would promote doing things in a healthier fashion, and one that you can keep up for a longer period of time.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

No Wetcoaster, I am not. :) The ideal way to lose weight is CICO.

Mostly I just wanted to comment on "SCIENCE" in general.

However, there are people out there who have lost massive amounts of weight with inadvisable diets and managed to keep the weight of long term. I cannot comment on how healthy or unhealthy they were as obese humans and I don't know how healthy they are once they got into the "healthy range".

I am just open minded... Just because I don't want to run because personally I believe it harms my knees, I would never advise for or against it. Running works well for some and not for others. Of course this is only my opinion :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Options

However, there are people out there who have lost massive amounts of weight with inadvisable diets and managed to keep the weight of long term. I cannot comment on how healthy or unhealthy they were as obese humans and I don't know how healthy they are once they got into the "healthy range".

I am just open minded... Just because I don't want to run because personally I believe it harms my knees, I would never advise for or against it. Running works well for some and not for others. Of course this is only my opinion :)

Inadviable diets are against the rules here. If you think juicing is "healthy" for months all the power to you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you are juicing

And you are adding a protein supplement as you realise protein is an important macro ...if you are in sensible defecit you should reach for a minimum of 0.65g protein per lb of bodyweight daily ...that's a minimum

I assume you also know that fat is a minimum macro in order to absorb nutrients so you need to ensure you reach 0.35g fat per lb of bodyweight at a minimum

Also a fibre supplement ...roughly 35g per day on average

Now if you want to blitz all these up so you drink your calories and your defecit is not greater than a weight loss of 1% current bodyweight per week, and you are hitting essential iron, calcium, minerals, vitamins through your juicing products you may go partway to achieving a balanced, nutritious diet

To me this would be a miserable existence to be honest, I would worry about my dental health and experience constant gnawing hunger but each to their own

• db34fit69
    Options

I'm not sure you quite understand how "science" works. There is no authoritative body that determines what the truth is. Two groups of researchers can come to different conclusions and this is still "science". This allows for further exploration.

I would recommend visiting this simple explanation:

UC Berkeley Science Flow Chart

to get a better understanding.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I started juicing, but when I complete my entry for the day, it says I'm not eating enough. Can't they accommodate for people who are juicing?

you don't need to complete / close your diary at the end of the day, that's the only thing that generates the warning. Premium allows you to change goals by day eg for 5:2 fasting but I don't recall if that kills the warnings on low days.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    With juicing, you're getting all of the calories without any of the fiber, and you are left hungry. Why not just eat the whole fruit and vegetable that you are juicing? You'll need less and get much more out of it.

Think about it. Juicing a carrot or eating a carrot? If you eat the carrot, you get everything the carrot has to offer. By juicing it, you need to use more carrots, which adds a lot more calories and you're leaving out all of the satiating fiber. Just eat the carrot. Eat the same foods you would juice with, and fit them in to your daily calories along with other healthy foods to meet all your nutritional requirements. That's the advice I have. This way, you're losing weight in a healthy, sustainable way while learning how to properly use food as fuel, as is intended.

People here aren't being bullies, they're letting you know that what you're doing is unhealthy.

And the guy in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead gained all his weight back. That "movie" wasn't factual or scientific, it was biased propaganda.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    You can't juice forever, and it's not teaching you anything about portion control. What happens when you start to eat real food again?
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wow, this community is kind of a bully when you're not doing things their way. I get it, you don't approve, but I'm still going to do my juice fast either way. Some comments were actually nice, but most are very negative and rude. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll know better next time when i have a question.

It happens, keyboard warriors abound.

If the manner in which you present information offends and detracts from the likelihood your intended audience is going to be receptive of that information... then what was the point of presenting the opposing view?

I did the juice thing for a couple of months a few years ago. It was a really nice spring board into a getting me moving and ultimately dropping about 50lbs and feeling a lot better. I wasn't able to maintain the juice fast indefinitely as it all ended quite abruptly one day at a Lenny's Sub Shop.

What always bothered me about juicing though was the part of the vegetables and fruit I was throwing away. So now instead of juicing I just eat those vegetables and fruit with the added bonus of not being hungry.

I think as long as you're motivated and enjoying the results and have an exit strategy to the juicing you'll be fine but I also think you could just go ahead and eat that stuff instead of juicing it and be a little kinder to yourself in the process.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    "I want to live to see grandchildren and great grandchildren, I want to be around so that I can care for my family." Grumpylupe, I took this off your profile. If this is truly your goal, you should strive for a lifelong sustainable program that will actually help you achieve this in the long term. You may get a quick boost from "juicing," but this is not the way to your goal. There are no quick fixes. By choosing a healthy diet and balancing that out with exercise you can not only achieve your goals, but you can also set an example for your children and grandchildren. We all have obstacles to overcome and none of us are perfect, but we're all alike in our desire to better ourselves physically, not just for now, but well into the future. All of these people are trying to help, nothing more.