Afraid to eat :(

Options
After 6 disastrous weeks on WW, I've just started calorie counting with MFP. However, due to my lack of weight loss since the new year, despite being 100% on the plan, I am now finding myself scared to eat :( I know starvation mode is real because I've been through it several times, yet my brain is screaming, 'you're not losing weight, stop eating!' Supposed to be having a day out with my DH today, shopping, lunch and cinema. He's very supportive and is researching the restaurants for me, but I feel like throwing my hands in the air and saying, 'what's the point, I should just go without'. How do I overcome this fear???

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you think starvation mode is real and think you've experienced it as well as are afraid to eat then you might need more help than random people on the internet can provide.
  • Thomaskerrya
    Thomaskerrya Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is real. I tried a VLCD twice; 600 calories a day meal replacements, and I didn't lose hardly any weight. I've calorie counted before, and if I go below 1000 calories, I don't lose weight. If I eat between 1200-1300 calories, it drops off! I've had all the doctors blood tests going, I'm as healthy as an ox, despite being overweight; low cholesterol, low BP, etc. I am partially disabled so exercise is difficult. But still, for a 4st overweight woman, being on the WW plan and not losing weight should be an impossibility. Hence moving back to calorie counting. Just a bit traumatised, thanks Oprah!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    To find out what "starvation mode" really is, google ---Minnesota study, starvation mode. If you fit those criteria, then you've had it.. Relax. This is something you'll be doing for the rest of your life. You want to change eating habits and that takes a while. Take things slow. Buy a digital scale, weigh and measure all food and sauces, plug your stats into MFP, stay within your calorie goal everyday. If you go over now and again--no panic. Pick up the next day and go on. Be consistant, move as much as you can. If you are still in a panic, as Beachgod said-get professional help.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    People on 600 calorie diets are not overweight. Not physically possible. Not even if you are in a coma.
    You have only logged for a few days. These days of your diary show (1) you are not below your goal and one day you were actually way over your goal (which is reasonable since your goal is very low, but makes no sense for someone afraid to eat) and (2) many entries that do not seem accurate (in pieces, cups rather than grams).
    Tighten your logging, set a goal you can keep up with, and reevaluate after a few weeks.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, we never encourage very low calories here, anyway, so it should work out :) Most people here try to lose 1 or even 0.5 lbs a week. Eat to your calories (very accurately) for a while and just see how it goes. Only eat back about half of your exercise calories, though, because the burns listed on here tend to run high. Welcome and good luck!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Hi I've done vlcd many times all they do is make you fatter hence profile pic of myself
    I don't lose fast & I weigh measure everything but I don't drink much water and water is the key plus weighing measuring everything.

Go on healthyeater.com be honest with your activity level use calculators to work out your calories & macros
    Eat protien and healthy foods one treat a day
    Drink 8 glasses water a day
    Exercise your body need muscle to burn calories quickly
    Don't eat under 1400 calories
    Tape measure is more accurate than scales measure once a month

I lose slow mines through yoyoing weight you need time to let your body adjust to a plan
    Stop fad diets
    Stop diets
    Find a lifestyle plan
    Drop the word diet it makes you feel deprived if you think your on a diet

I'll add you and support you as I've 4 to go too
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    q0pc9vaotknu.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have quite a number of questions for you that I'm genuinely curious about.

"I know starvation mode is real because I've been through it several times, yet my brain is screaming, 'you're not losing weight, stop eating!' I tried a VLCD twice; 600 calories a day meal replacements, and I didn't lose hardly any weight. I've calorie counted before, and if I go below 1000 calories, I don't lose weight. If I eat between 1200-1300 calories, it drops off!"

1. If the weight "dropped off" eating between 1200 and 1300 calories, why is your brain telling you not to eat?
    2. If you "know starvation mode is real", why is your brain telling you not to eat?
    3. If you lost weight easily on 1200 to 1300 calories, why did you join Weight Watchers to lose weight?
    I'm not going to armchair diagnose you with an eating disorder, but I will say that your line of thinking is disordered. Others have told you starvation mode is not real and I'm going to echo that statement. You said that you "hardly lost" on VLCDs. The word "hardly" is subjective. It could mean you lost half a pound in a month or it could mean you expected to lose something like five pounds per week and you only lost two which is actually a normal rate of loss. The fact of the matter is that if you lost weight on 1200 calories, you'd lose on 600. If you tried VLCDs and ate at 600 for four days, then binge ate on the 5th day, that changes the diet completely hence you "not losing". Most people would binge eat on such a VLCD because it's not sustainable. Due to your partial disability, something like 1200 to 1300 is more sustainable for you since exercise is difficult and you'd be less prone to binge hence the notion that you lost more weight in that calorie range.

You need to be honest with yourself about the methods that you've used so far. Regardless of what may or may not be accurate in your posts, the fact of the matter is that you clearly state you lost more weight when eating between 1200 and 1300, so why in the world would you not want to eat knowing it didn't bring you any success?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Coming off WW is the best thing you can do....
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Hey, ill offer some help as you actually asked for help not to be told that your opening statement is wrong! ;)

Firstly do not fear, eating does not make you fat. Eating too much will! You can eat lots and still loose, you can eat pretty much all veg to your hearts content. Just log everything you eat and there is no way to overeat! Getting a little obsessive with it is good for some, it's you taking control of your food and nutrition and body, not letting your 'fat' control you anymore!

Put it this way, using MFP accurately will not make you gain more, your current way isn't working so what do you have to lose? No pun intended! If you need ideas look at other people's diaries but I wouldn't recommend looking at super buff people's as all the protein suppliments may be confusing at the beginning for you!! Add me if you like! Good luck!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whoever invented the term 'starvation mode' has a lot to answer for. It has done nothing but create confusion amongst frustrated and naive dieters. The body cannot overcome its own energy balance requirements and make you hold onto or gain weight when you take in less than you require. If you could manage that, you'd be getting studied by scientists to try and find out how you produce energy with no fuel source.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Well it is help to be told when the way one is thinking about something is messed up. OP you need to really be honest with yourself. And you may need counseling to figure out a proper relationship with food.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had spells where I've reduced to VLCD in my life. I've lost weight using them, and maintained on around 1000 - 1200 cals a day. Then I started gaining and lost it. I couldn't sustain that low level of food for life, and it was damaging my health. I ended up with T2 diabetes as well.

One diagnosis of underactive thyroid later, and medication for it, and I am losing weight on a steady approx average 1200 or so calories a day. I sometimes eat back half my exercise calories, sometimes I don't. I had some silly spells a few months ago of eating too little, but I've got my sensible head on now and am doing C25K and some weights now.

My mother, however, lives with us, and is largely immobile. It depends on the disability, but I've had to also get her to reduce her weight. I got to the point that I could no longer lift her off the floor if she fell.

I walk her round the room a few times a day, and we do light exercises with her arms while sitting. If her arms are a little weak, I help support the weight, as the movement is what's important, not the weight she can hold. She's losing at a steady couple of pounds every month or two. It's not a lot, but over time, it adds up to a saver for my back, and she doesn't feel deprived or hungry, although she does sometimes make a face at whichever healthy food I give her for meals. She's not adventurous, and yes, I do make sure she has her desired chips, chocolate and crisps within her food, as she likes them.

My recommendation would be to weigh all food, log it, and don't weigh more than once a month if the scales worry you. Go slow, and recognise that your body might be adjusting to your life change. Take your measurements with a tape measure instead. For my first 2 stone of weight loss last year, I did not weight once. I only know my highest weight, as my doctor recorded it, and I asked him once he said I'd lost 2 stone. I can cope with the scales now, but at the beginning, it would have demoralised me to do it. I even got rid of my scales by giving them to a friend until I was ready to cope with weighing myself.

I still feel that temptation not to eat at all when my scales don't move for a couple of weeks, but I've just pushed on, and they've dropped weeks later. All my body had done, was hold water in the fat cells that were lost, possibly in case I fill them up again quickly. After a while, that water goes, and it makes me look like I've lost nothing for weeks, then perhaps 2-3 pounds in the space of a couple of days.

Go easy on yourself, and enjoy the process, focusing on health before weight loss, and the rest will come.

Good luck.
    :-)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is real. I tried a VLCD twice; 600 calories a day meal replacements, and I didn't lose hardly any weight. I've calorie counted before, and if I go below 1000 calories, I don't lose weight. If I eat between 1200-1300 calories, it drops off! I've had all the doctors blood tests going, I'm as healthy as an ox, despite being overweight; low cholesterol, low BP, etc. I am partially disabled so exercise is difficult. But still, for a 4st overweight woman, being on the WW plan and not losing weight should be an impossibility. Hence moving back to calorie counting. Just a bit traumatised, thanks Oprah!!!

Could you clarify your height, weight and weight loss goal?
    4 st = 56 lbs and unless you are shorter than 3'4" that is not overweight or even a healthy weight at all. Is this a typo?

Calorie counting is a great tool. Choose a reasonable goal of 1 lb a week. With MFP you are supposed to eat all the calories they give you. If you earn calories from exercise you might eat only half in case your calorie burn is overestimated. Log as accurately as you can. Weigh and measure everything. Choose correct entries. If you aren't losing check your logging first. If you are sure that is as accurate as can be then see your doctor.

I find pre-logging my whole day helpful. It requires planning your meals for the day but you can see that food fits your goals and not be afraid to eat. You can plan what you will eat from restaurants as well.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    But still, for a 4st overweight woman, being on the WW plan and not losing weight should be an impossibility.

4 st = 56 lbs and unless you are shorter than 3'4" that is not overweight or even a healthy weight at all. Is this a typo?

She means she is 56 pounds overweight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the 4 stones is the overweight, not the total body weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I have quite a number of questions for you that I'm genuinely curious about.

"I know starvation mode is real because I've been through it several times, yet my brain is screaming, 'you're not losing weight, stop eating!' I tried a VLCD twice; 600 calories a day meal replacements, and I didn't lose hardly any weight. I've calorie counted before, and if I go below 1000 calories, I don't lose weight. If I eat between 1200-1300 calories, it drops off!"

1. If the weight "dropped off" eating between 1200 and 1300 calories, why is your brain telling you not to eat?
    2. If you "know starvation mode is real", why is your brain telling you not to eat?
    3. If you lost weight easily on 1200 to 1300 calories, why did you join Weight Watchers to lose weight?
    I'm not going to armchair diagnose you with an eating disorder, but I will say that your line of thinking is disordered. Others have told you starvation mode is not real and I'm going to echo that statement. You said that you "hardly lost" on VLCDs. The word "hardly" is subjective. It could mean you lost half a pound in a month or it could mean you expected to lose something like five pounds per week and you only lost two which is actually a normal rate of loss. The fact of the matter is that if you lost weight on 1200 calories, you'd lose on 600. If you tried VLCDs and ate at 600 for four days, then binge ate on the 5th day, that changes the diet completely hence you "not losing". Most people would binge eat on such a VLCD because it's not sustainable. Due to your partial disability, something like 1200 to 1300 is more sustainable for you since exercise is difficult and you'd be less prone to binge hence the notion that you lost more weight in that calorie range.

You need to be honest with yourself about the methods that you've used so far. Regardless of what may or may not be accurate in your posts, the fact of the matter is that you clearly state you lost more weight when eating between 1200 and 1300, so why in the world would you not want to eat knowing it didn't bring you any success?

I am with this!!!!

You lost weight eating 1200 - 1300? What's the issue?

Stay completely way from VLCD period.

I too will not arm chair ED either, but I clearly see by the post, there is disordered thinking at bay.

All I am going to say is take care of your body and its nutritional needs otherwise loosing weight is pointless.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    But still, for a 4st overweight woman, being on the WW plan and not losing weight should be an impossibility.

She means she is 56 pounds overweight.

That certainly would make more sense wouldn't it? I'd like to believe that no one thought themselves overweight at 56 lbs.
    It would be nice if she could clarify her actual height, weight and her weight loss goal if she wants help figuring this out though.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Ok, let's ignore everything else about this entire conversation for a second.

If you know that you lose weight eating 1200-1300 calories per day then eat 1200-1300 calories per day.
    There. Glad we got that cleared up.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Ok, let's ignore everything else about this entire conversation for a second.

If you know that you lose weight eating 1200-1300 calories per day then eat 1200-1300 calories per day.
    There. Glad we got that cleared up.

You always cut to the quick. B)