If I hear Oprah say she loves bread one more time.....

Options

Replies

• nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear Oprah say anything. Ironic that she has made her fortune telling the rest of us how to live our lives, yet she can't get a handle on her own demons.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers, slimming world!! Give me your money and I'll tell you what you can't eat arghhh.. It's money for old rope. Just get into the plan, then they change the bloody plan!!! More arghhh!!! Calories, plain and simple calories.
    Ok.. Finished now
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I also have a problem with her giving Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz a platform to stand on. Seriously, people should stop looking at that woman like an expert for anything physical or mental health related.

You are right I forgot that that's where those two clowns got their start. I don't think people are looking to Oprah as a psychological or medical expert. However, bringing Dr Oz into the limelight feels like a pretty bad sin.
    LINIA wrote: »
    It's a great business model, advertise that nothing has to be given up or changed..apparently it is what some people want to hear...eat the foods you most love but just control the portion sizes, and have bread everyday.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. That's why we're all here, right? I'm not "giving up" any foods. If I wanna eat bread or ice cream or octopus every day I'm gonna.
    whmscll wrote: »
    The high fiber ones are GREAT. I prefer them over the others. They are also marked "Light," though I'm not sure why.

Thanks you've sold me. Definitely gonna find these next time I'm at the grocery store.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Can I take this opportunity to ask if it's bread, magic, dermatology, plastic surgery, or all of the above that makes her skin so freakishly good for her age? Is she bathing in unicorn blood or sacrificing loaves of sourdough under a gibbous moon?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OMG - I HATE those commercials!!!! I'm like "uh-huh....I eat bread too. So do thousands of other people." Like someone else said - um yeah - let's pick someone almost known as much for her yo-yo dieting as her media empire - alrighty then. And the first commercial? Counting points is like a game??? ReALLY??? It so the F*** is NOT!!! I DUNNO about anyone else, but my weight loss is not like a game. Maybe other people look at it that way, but I don't. Yeah - I know - lighten up Francis....

Ugh - just not liking the commercials at all. Not inspired much at all by it.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    They could have picked someone so much better to be their representative. Someone who publicly lost a lot of weight and is keeping it off, like maybe Melissa Mccarthy. Have you seen her lately? She has made such a transformation! It's almost like some weight watchers executive's pitch was,"Well it's Oprah and women do whatever she says so it's a no brainer"! Right.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I really really really hate that commercial. Every time it comes on I yell at the TV "Shut up Oprah!!!" She is a yo yo dieter and what she says IS NOT the gospel contrary to what most think!

I don't hate Oprah but I don't listen to her in regards to losing weight.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    70's Bread and Doritos all blast's from the past. I think Doritos were created in the 70's.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wish Oprah the best of luck in trying to lose weight and find a healthy balance in life :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What I'm confused about is that from what I hear, the new WW program actually makes it near impossible to indulge and makes it so you are only supposed to eat stereotypically "healthy" foods... So not promoting eating everything in moderation, but only eating the things WW wants you to eat.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No WW says you can eat anything as long as you stay in your point range.. REALITY is.. if you eat healthy it certain is better for you altogether
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My aunt does weight watchers, and with the change she says a piece of cake is 3/4 of your points allowance for a day... Not very doable.
    I don't get why they would change a program that so many people have had successes with.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A slice of cake would have to be about 1000 calories to be 3/4 of even the smallest person's points allowance for the day, I think.

They update the programs because we learn more about the field all the time, plus people like to try new programs.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    They could have picked someone so much better to be their representative. Someone who publicly lost a lot of weight and is keeping it off, like maybe Melissa Mccarthy. Have you seen her lately? She has made such a transformation! It's almost like some weight watchers executive's pitch was,"Well it's Oprah and women do whatever she says so it's a no brainer"! Right.

Well, not trying to be a jerk, but how long ago did McCarthy lose the weight? Oprah has certainly kept weight off in the past. When she regains it's not that quick. We've just been exposed to her for decades so one year she is healthy weight and then a couple years later it's back on. Totally respect and love McCarthy but I wouldn't call her loss proof that she can maintain either (yet).
    What I'm confused about is that from what I hear, the new WW program actually makes it near impossible to indulge and makes it so you are only supposed to eat stereotypically "healthy" foods... So not promoting eating everything in moderation, but only eating the things WW wants you to eat.

This is what I've heard as well. That the point system sort of forces you to eat how some people on here would call 'clean'.
    cebreisch wrote: »
    And the first commercial? Counting points is like a game??? ReALLY??? It so the F*** is NOT!!! I DUNNO about anyone else, but my weight loss is not like a game. Maybe other people look at it that way, but I don't. Yeah - I know - lighten up Francis....

Well, I say whatever helps people to lose weight. If looking at it like a game helps, great. Some people like to use things like the Zombies, Run! app to start running. Other people just grab a timer and go out there and do it and see apps as gimmicks. But at the end of the day, if a couple people are healthier, that's a good thing, right?

Counting calories is SORT of like a game to me. I like stats, and numbers. I like keeping all my numbers. I like entering in my weights and my calories eaten and my exercise calories eaten and occasionally making graphs and seeing if there are trends when I change certain things. It keeps me motivated. But a lot of people probably hate all that math. So if counting points is portrayed more like keeping track of points scored in a basketball game and that helps them wrap their heads around it, I'm all for it. The only drawback of WW is that they charge $$. But a lot of people started with WW as the gateway drug to counting calories later.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used Weight Watchers successfully back in 2008 and lost 50lbs. I became a lifetime member so never had to pay to attend again. Then they changed the way points were counted and it was kind of dumb. They gave you more points, but foods increased in points as well. Made no sense to me so I left.

Since then, I believe there have been quite a few more WW "improvements". My own best improvement was finding MFP. Using the food diary, I realized there was a heckova lot more to ensuring you were eating well than WW ever explained.

I lost a further 15 lbs with MFP and have kept those off as well. I've recommended it to co-workers, and one of them has lost just over 100lbs in the past 13 months! She has about 20 more to go and we know with MFP she'll be able to do it.

Best of luck to Oprah, but I believe she'd do much better coming here instead!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    TL;DR the last 3 pages but I have heard a lot of comments on that commercial. I don't get why people are up in arms. Yes, Oprah has had a weight issue and it's played out on TV. Isn't she the same as a lot of us her on MFP who have struggled with similar issues? Doesn't that make her a relateable spokesperson? Is it really a big sin that she's saying you can enjoy bread, or anything else, if it's within your daily allowance? That's pretty much what we say on MFP every day.
    I guess I'm not getting the big deal here...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Here's what I don't get. If counting points is a game, why isn't counting calories a game? Why is that so impossible? It's the same idea. You get a pot of points/calories, eat and stay under that number.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Here's what I don't get. If counting points is a game, why isn't counting calories a game? Why is that so impossible? It's the same idea. You get a pot of points/calories, eat and stay under that number.

I find counting calories/macros like a game. I pre-log each evening for the next day and it feels fun -- like a puzzle game. But maybe I'm just weird.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Because they can't charge you money for doing your own math of course. How would they charge money to look at people and say "Hey you know that part of the nutritional facts where is says "calories"? Yeah, eat less then 2000 of those. Congratulations, you can write the check out to...."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    TL;DR the last 3 pages but I have heard a lot of comments on that commercial. I don't get why people are up in arms. Yes, Oprah has had a weight issue and it's played out on TV. Isn't she the same as a lot of us her on MFP who have struggled with similar issues? Doesn't that make her a relateable spokesperson? Is it really a big sin that she's saying you can enjoy bread, or anything else, if it's within your daily allowance? That's pretty much what we say on MFP every day.
    I guess I'm not getting the big deal here...

I don't think it's so much"OMG we can eat bread now?" as it is "How many times are stations allowed to play this freakin' commercial?"