A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    All I can think of is the scene from the movie Carrie.

tq7d4deu586p.jpg

It might help OP out if it were true.... "They're all gonna laugh at you". If everyone laughed at the trainer, they'd probably be so stupidly embarrassed that they'd never leave weights around again. Some embarrassment does wonders to those whose egos are out of proportion like that.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    He finished with his client and leaves - with plates still mounted (light plates, I might add, but still). I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off".

So he basically mocked his client's ability right in front of the client, and he thinks someone calling him a name is the problem that needs addressing?

I would keep hammering away at management about this. He may bring people into the gym, but those fees are going to pale in comparison to a lawsuit if someone gets hurt due to his negligence. Especially when there is documentation of people bringing it to their attention.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    "I'm sorry, were these too heavy for you? Did you need me to re-rack them?"

Loudly so everyone can hear.

Or the tampon thing.

Heck I'd probably follow him around all day and continue to drop them until he gets the hint.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you want to press the issue, I would find out what organization he received his personal trainer certification through and report him (I'm sure he hands out cards or has his information posted in the gym). Part of being a certified PT is positively representing the profession and practicing good etiquette in front of clients, which includes being polite, wiping down equipment, and returning the equipment and weights to their proper places.

Receiving a phone call or letter from his PT company following up on a complaint would likely be a big wake-up call.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    If you want to press the issue, I would find out what organization he received his personal trainer certification through and report him (I'm sure he hands out cards or has his information posted in the gym). Part of being a certified PT is positively representing the profession and practicing good etiquette in front of clients, which includes being polite, wiping down equipment, and returning the equipment and weights to their proper places.

Receiving a phone call or letter from his PT company following up on a complaint would likely be a big wake-up call.

I agree with this. This is a good idea. Sounds like the manager of the gym doesn't have the ability to enforce rules, which is their job. May need to go to the next level. Plus, as I said earlier, this PT isn't just negatively affecting others at the gym, he's doing a disservice to his clients.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Accidently drop a handful of tampons on the floor where he is between his sets. If he says anything, reply you thought he was done and tell him they don't weigh much.

I just spit out my water at this. OMG...this is perfect.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    ashleyylo wrote: »
    "I kinda think you stooped to his level by calling him a b*tch" - yeah. I know! I feel damn terrible about it! Cant stop thinking about it.

"But, you can't undo it. so you just move one. Continue to make it clear to this trainer that you don't appreciate his douchery, but be netural about it" - that's what I'm planning to do - move on. I'm planning not to address this guy and just communicate only with management from now on

We all do/say things we aren't proud of when upset! Its OK. :smile:
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Tell the manager that this "trainer" is ruining your gym experience and if he isn't able to correct this person's behavior you will take your business elsewhere. The manager is a businessman. Hit him where it hurts. If this d-bag is causing him to lose paying customers, he'll nip it in the bud. If not, you don't want to go there anymore, anyway.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't have let it get to that point. Would have talked to the manager as well as written a letter if need be.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Tell the manager that this "trainer" is ruining your gym experience and if he isn't able to correct this person's behavior you will take your business elsewhere. The manager is a businessman. Hit him where it hurts. If this d-bag is causing him to lose paying customers, he'll nip it in the bud. If not, you don't want to go there anymore, anyway.

OH! But before doing this, make friends with every other gym goer - as many as possible. And have them all sign a list saying they'll leave with you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If i'm going to confront someone, i wait until i have a solid case, like you did with the barbell. I wouldn't ask to rerack light plates, because that just looks like i'm going around antagonizing him over every little thing he does wrong.

But what ticked me is not the weight - the behaviour.

No it wasn't, it was his past behavior. If that was the first time you saw him, i doubt you would have confronted him over tiny plates, especially since it could be an honest mistake. If i confront someone, i discuss the present situation, and forget all my emotional butthurt over past actions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I've calld some REALLY big dudes out on this... and it usually is a giant announcement like this

<pulls 45 off the bar> drops it loudly
    pulls nother 45 off the bar- drop that on top of the plate...

and then make a HUGE announcement
    "HEY DON"T WORRY I GOT THIS I SEE YOU'RE REALLY BUSY WITH YOUR CLIENT- but DON'T YOU WORRY_ I"LL CLEAN UP AFTER YOU AND YOU"RE CLIENT"

I publicly shame people CONSTANTLY. It's effing annoying as hell.

I knew you'd have the best response to this.
    The DB trainer sounds like he needs a hint applied with a sledgehammer. Shaming the lunkhead is likely your only solution.

I was in the aerobics room dancing- and they came in with plate weights and did abs and then left the plate weight there.

I strolled across the gym with the plate as they were leaving and handed it to him as he was in the lobby and said- "here you- you left this."

I'm all about public shaming.

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    also- " if it's so light then you shouldn't have a problem putting it away"

PS you are teaching your client bad gym etiquette.

I just do it to effing annoy people
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

this would be the biggest waste of time that ever did waste time
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off".

What would've you done?

He seriously said that? He needs to crawl back under the rock that he emerged from in the first place!

I'd pull every string I had to have him permanently removed from a place that you are a paying customer. Contact not only the manager(s), but also the owner. Nobody wants somebody like that working for their organization.

:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off".

What would've you done?

He seriously said that? He needs to crawl back under the rock that he emerged from in the first place!

I'd pull every string I had to have him permanently removed from a place that you are a paying customer. Contact not only the manager(s), but also the owner. Nobody wants somebody like that working for their organization.

I seriously hope you intended this pun.

DAMMIT!

:angry:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Nobody should train on a smith-machine. It is more dangerous to the knees than a mean trainer.

Mechanically, how does a Smith differ from a leg press?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nobody should train on a smith-machine. It is more dangerous to the knees than a mean trainer.

I disagree. It's great for inverted rows and hanging blast straps from to do suspended pushups.

Frees the squat rack.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

What would've you done?

I seriously hope you intended this pun.

Yes, I attempted to choose my words to fit the situation... ;-)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I disagree. It's great for inverted rows and hanging blast straps from to do suspended pushups.

Frees the squat rack.

I also use it for shrugs