Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Veganism for weight loss

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    It is worth mentioning there are some people (who I'll say are wrong) that believe a person cannot become overweight or obese on frugivore / fruititarian diet. In particular DurianRider and Freelee the Banana Girl - both of whom I detest for both their trolling, insulting the overweight, and lying about health and nutrition - are known to promote this view.

Crackpots gonna crackpot . . .

I can't stand either of them.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    It is worth mentioning there are some people (who I'll say are wrong) that believe a person cannot become overweight or obese on frugivore / fruititarian diet. In particular DurianRider and Freelee the Banana Girl - both of whom I detest for both their trolling, insulting the overweight, and lying about health and nutrition - are known to promote this view.

Yeah, but enough vegans get crap for being vegan without people like that causing spotlight fallacy about what most vegans are like.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

Yeah, but enough vegans get crap for being vegan without people like that causing spotlight fallacy about what most vegans are like.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the crap vegans get is from the over-zealous newbies who think the whole world should following their lifestyle. Kind of the same reason why I know so many people who stay away from crossfit as they don't want to get "forced" into following paleo.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I'm watching "vegucated" on Netflix right now! Interesting watch!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the crap vegans get is from the over-zealous newbies who think the whole world should following their lifestyle. Kind of the same reason why I know so many people who stay away from crossfit as they don't want to get "forced" into following paleo.

Yeah, it's a shame. I just try to remember that the over-zealous advocates for whatever diet or workout program is being discussed are not necessarily representative. It's easier when you know some counter-examples, of course.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    ARGriffy wrote: »

This is an interesting "documentary" and definitely some food for thought. Unfortunately, most of the "facts" that get touted in these types of films, (Vegucated, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Forks over Knives, etc) are either far from being actual facts, or usually some kind of agenda biased view of the information that presents conclusions that can't generally be taken from the data.

I'd love to see a valid, non-propagandic documentary that presents real information that is useful and actionable... but unfortunately, if one exists I have yet to see it.
  • janejellyroll

That's true. Other than their hateful speech, bullying, and promotion of dangerous lies, it's the fact that I will meet people who associate me with them that annoys me most about them.
  • senecarr

This is an interesting "documentary" and definitely some food for thought. Unfortunately, most of the "facts" that get touted in these types of films, (Vegucated, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Forks over Knives, etc) are either far from being actual facts, or usually some kind of agenda biased view of the information that presents conclusions that can't generally be taken from the data.

I'd love to see a valid, non-propagandic documentary that presents real information that is useful and actionable... but unfortunately, if one exists I have yet to see it.

Yeah, every vegan group that pulls these "facts" kind of things just causes me to think of the term "lying for Jesus" (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lying_for_Jesus) because the parallel.

All I can think is make veganism about the ethics. If you're tricking and lying to human beings to because you believe in animal dignity and ethical treatment, you've just contradicted yourself by denying the dignity of the intelligence of the human animal and acting unethically towards human animals.
  • DaddieCat

Yeah, every vegan group that pulls these "facts" kind of things just causes me to think of the term "lying for Jesus" (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lying_for_Jesus) because the parallel.

All I can think is make veganism about the ethics. If you're tricking and lying to human beings to because you believe in animal dignity and ethical treatment, you've just contradicted yourself by denying the dignity of the intelligence of the human animal and acting unethically towards human animals.

I feel you there. Personally, it's a ethical religious choice for me and I give not one care what choices others make. I also don't feel the need to belittle anyone, lie to them, etc. Frankly, I'm disgusted by this type of behavior for all of the reasons that you point out.

Unfortunately, based on the number of other vegans I've met in my life, I'm in the minority. (I hope that's not true, but current data sample in my life doesn't give me hope.)
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I believe there is such a thing, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the vegan lifestyle would help or hurt weight loss/ muscles in any way, but I do know that one would have to search extra-hard for palatable protein sources other than meat.

It wouldn't require a hard search -- vegans can get protein from beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and protein powders. I can even get tofu, pre-cooked lentils, tempeh, and vegan protein powders at my local (non-health food) grocery store now. Once these foods are in the diet, protein needs can be rounded out with nuts/nut butters and the protein that is vegetables.
    Keyword: palatable. Although you definitely have a point there regarding some of those items, in my humble opinion, those foods can be described as follows:
    Beans=yum but can cause digestive blues later
    Grains=yum but better known as carbs than protein
    Tofu =Ewww!
    Tempeh=sounds nasty
    Seitan=sounds very nasty, actually downright evil. (Waits for others to get the pun)
    Protein powder=IMO, only good as a snack and with whole milk, which is indeed not vegan. Also causes digestive distress. Meh.
    Nuts/nut butter=yum unless you're allergic to it (which is, like, a good chunk of the world population)
    Vegetable= I didn't even know that, but sounds yuck.
  • senecarr
    I believe there is such a thing, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the vegan lifestyle would help or hurt weight loss/ muscles in any way, but I do know that one would have to search extra-hard for palatable protein sources other than meat.

It wouldn't require a hard search -- vegans can get protein from beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and protein powders. I can even get tofu, pre-cooked lentils, tempeh, and vegan protein powders at my local (non-health food) grocery store now. Once these foods are in the diet, protein needs can be rounded out with nuts/nut butters and the protein that is vegetables.
    Keyword: palatable. Although you definitely have a point there regarding some of those items, in my humble opinion, those foods can be described as follows:
    Tofu =Ewww!
    Tempeh=sounds nasty
    Seitan=sounds very nasty, actually downright evil. (Waits for others to get the pun)
    Protein powder=IMO, only good as a snack and with whole milk, which is indeed not vegan. Also causes digestive distress. Meh.

Nuts/nut butter=yum unless you're allergic to it (which is, like, a good chunk of the world population)

Them's fightin' words in some jurisdictions.
  • zcb94
    ^Hm? How so?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

I feel you there. Personally, it's a ethical religious choice for me and I give not one care what choices others make. I also don't feel the need to belittle anyone, lie to them, etc. Frankly, I'm disgusted by this type of behavior for all of the reasons that you point out.

Unfortunately, based on the number of other vegans I've met in my life, I'm in the minority. (I hope that's not true, but current data sample in my life doesn't give me hope.)

@BecomingBane, I have to offer kudos to you. You're undoubtedly the most sensible, rational and evidence-based vegan I've ever run across. My data sample would say you're (unfortunately) in the minority too, but it's refreshing to read your posts.

I have no problem with how other people choose to eat, whether it's for ethical reasons, satiety/adherence or whatever. But I do have a problem when people misrepresent (or blatantly ignore) the facts and get on their high horse or start attributing magical powers to their diet/WOE - whether it be vegan, paleo, low-carb/keto, omnivorous or whatever. From what I've seen, you have a very honest, straightforward and factual point of view even toward your chosen path, without all the woo and preaching.
  • DaddieCat
    AnvilHead wrote: »

@BecomingBane, I have to offer kudos to you. You're undoubtedly the most sensible, rational and evidence-based vegan I've ever run across. My data sample would say you're (unfortunately) in the minority too, but it's refreshing to read your posts.

I have no problem with how other people choose to eat, whether it's for ethical reasons, satiety/adherence or whatever. But I do have a problem when people misrepresent (or blatantly ignore) the facts and get on their high horse or start attributing magical powers to their diet/WOE - whether it be vegan, paleo, low-carb/keto, omnivorous or whatever. From what I've seen, you have a very honest, straightforward and factual point of view even toward your chosen path, without all the woo and preaching.

Thanks. I try. Personally, I don't believe any WOE is right for everyone... the world is too diverse for that. I just tend to approach this particular issue like I approach everything in my life to one degree or another, by educating myself but as you stated and as was stated previously, misrepresenting something via woo or whatever method is not only disrepectful to those on the receiving end, but also to the group being misrepresented and the person confused enough to be misrepresenting. ( I say confused because I'd like to believe that it's simply lack of knowledge that leads to this behavior... just my personal preference of outlook)

Additionally, people on any kind of restrictive diet, whatever the reasons, ethical or otherwise, are putting themselves in a position where their health is directly influenced by their choices. I think everyone should have at least a basic understanding of what that actually means as far as nutrition and health and it pains me that there are so many out there who either capitalize on this or intentionally mislead for one agenda or another.
  • janejellyroll

I care what choices others make (I do wish more people would choose veganism), but I agree with you that belittlement and lying is disgusting. Not only are they inappropriate morally, they are often counter-productive.

• janejellyroll

Tofu =Ewww!
    Tempeh=sounds nasty

This is a very subjective rundown.

Beans = do cause digestive distress for some people, but this often goes away when people get used to the fiber. Even if they do cause distress, smaller amounts can be tolerated by most people.

Grains = nothing wrong with having carbohydrates mixed with protein.

Tofu = Your personal dislike for it isn't significant for other people who may enjoy it.

Tempeh = Not sure how to respond to something "sounding nasty." Liver "sounds nasty" to me, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a perfectly acceptable and nutritious food for people.

Seitan = Really?

Protein powder = Again, your opinion of a food or what it is good with isn't that useful for others. I often consume it without whole milk.

Nuts = A good chunk of the world is allergic to nuts? I'd like to see the statistics on this.

Vegetables = If all vegetables sound "yuck" to you, then focusing on meeting your own nutritional needs may be more productive than worrying about how vegans have to search "extra-hard" for protein.
  • zcb94
    @janejellyroll, I apologize for unnecessarily heating up the conversation. Let me explain:
    I don't mind tofu but wouldn't catch myself living on it. I didn't say that no one had a right to enjoy some, though.
    Tempeh sounds to me like the byproduct of someone's high school lab experiment.
    Seitan sounds too much like the name of my mortal enemy. Yikes!
    I'm in no way trying to present my opinion as fact regarding powder, but I wouldn't recommend living on it day in and day out. I snack on it with whole milk for the healthy fat.
    ASCIA says that
    Peanut and tree nut allergy is most common in infants and young children, but may appear for the first time in adults. Peanut allergy often receives greater attention because it is common (3% of infants), exposure is hard to avoid and in some cases even trace amounts can trigger symptoms. Around 20% of cases resolve, and while severity may occasionally lessen with age, around 20% of cases can become worse with time.
    . Please feel free to use this as a springboard for your own research!
    Veggies are usually delicious, but I didn't know that any were sources of protein, and those that are probably had to be GMOed. That's what I meant there.
    I hope I didn't overheat the discussion! :innocent:
  • janejellyroll
    @janejellyroll, I apologize for unnecessarily heating up the conversation. Let me explain:
    I don't mind tofu but wouldn't catch myself living on it. I didn't say that no one had a right to enjoy some, though.
    Tempeh sounds to me like the byproduct of someone's high school lab experiment.
    Seitan sounds too much like the name of my mortal enemy. Yikes!
    I'm in no way trying to present my opinion as fact regarding powder, but I wouldn't recommend living on it day in and day out. I snack on it with whole milk for the healthy fat.
    ASCIA says that
    Peanut and tree nut allergy is most common in infants and young children, but may appear for the first time in adults. Peanut allergy often receives greater attention because it is common (3% of infants), exposure is hard to avoid and in some cases even trace amounts can trigger symptoms. Around 20% of cases resolve, and while severity may occasionally lessen with age, around 20% of cases can become worse with time.
    . Please feel free to use this as a springboard for your own research!
    Veggies are usually delicious, but I didn't know that any were sources of protein, and those that are probably had to be GMOed. That's what I meant there.
    I hope I didn't overheat the discussion! :innocent:

You wouldn't have to live on tofu in order to eat it sometimes for protein. Some vegans eat it often, some sometimes (I'm in this category), and some eat it never.

Your personal reactions to tempeh and seitan just aren't relevant for anyone besides yourself.

Like tofu, you wouldn't have to "live on" protein powder to have it sometimes for protein.

I wouldn't, personally, want to "live on" chicken, but I know many people eat it often and enjoy it. I'm curious as to why you would look at eating tofu or protein powder in such a negative light (other than your personal preferences, which are valid for you, but not of much use for anyone else).

3% of infants doesn't sound like "a good chunk of the world," especially if 20% of that group resolve over time. This means that relatively few people have a nut allergy and those who do -- and want to be vegan -- can use the other plant sources for protein.

Many vegetables contain protein, although not in huge concentrations. This isn't due to GMO, it's how they grow. While vegetables themselves probably couldn't allow someone to meet their protein needs, someone who was including them in their diet would get the benefit of the protein in them.

I'm not sure why you think this is heated. This is a section of the website for discussing nutrition and that's what we're doing.

What I hear you saying is that you would find it a personal struggle to find palatable options on a vegan diet. While your personal experience is absolutely true for you, I'm responding because you seem to be assuming it would be an issue for others. But there are many people who enjoy plant-based foods and have no trouble meeting their protein needs on foods they enjoy. It doesn't even sound like you have tried some of the foods I mentioned, which is something to keep in mind before you decide that it would be hard to find palatable options as a vegan.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

I care what choices others make (I do wish more people would choose veganism), but I agree with you that belittlement and lying is disgusting. Not only are they inappropriate morally, they are often counter-productive.

You are the perfect example of an awesome vegan. I get so much flack in real life because of my choices for medical reasons (the meds from mouse protein we discussed before) and the fact that my diet for Crohn's is super restrictive (bananas, apple sauce, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots well cooked and pureed being the only fruits and veggies I can digest without pain. I also can't eat seeds, nuts and legumes and am on low residue/ low fibre so white carbs only) which makes becoming a vegan almost impossible unless I want to basically live on white carbs. I don't eat much meat as I can't digest much anyways except fish, chicken and turkey but not being able to eat most plant based protein sources and being lactose intolerant makes it difficult. I would love to be able to but now I can't.

I have a few die hard vegan friends who I love but they post articles about how becoming vegan will cure my Crohn's (no cure unfortunately and it would put me in the hospital on tpn if I tried to eat that way). I said something the first time but on subsequent postings I smile and nod.

I hate the guilt and pressure since I would love to have a vegan lifestyle but I don't want to have to choose between hopefully keeping my intestines and staying alive with making my health way worse.

It makes me happy to know that most vegans are understanding :)
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    It's possible,but the vegans I've seen look frail
This discussion has been closed.