If I hear Oprah say she loves bread one more time.....

Options
12346»

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    WW is rubbish now it's like SW to restrictive too expensive when all it is is calories in calories out
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I just don't like how it makes it sound like WW is the reason she can eat bread. And now, from what I understand from this new point system or whatever people are talking about, WW is severely restricting fats? How is that better? How does that encourage flexible dieting, which is what WW purports to be all about?

Bread is very high on ww now any carb product is
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Here's what I don't get. If counting points is a game, why isn't counting calories a game? Why is that so impossible? It's the same idea. You get a pot of points/calories, eat and stay under that number.

I think they would say that counting calories can be viewed like a game, too. Though they've simplified the game by using smaller numbers and making the numbers steer you toward more filling, less caloric choices. And by providing a scorekeeper of sorts (scheduled weigh-ins) and a field of co-players, if you go to meetings and a set of carrots to motivate you (charms and stuff for hitting goals if you're a meetings member).
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Here's what I don't get. If counting points is a game, why isn't counting calories a game? Why is that so impossible? It's the same idea. You get a pot of points/calories, eat and stay under that number.

I think they would say that counting calories can be viewed like a game, too. Though they've simplified the game by using smaller numbers and making the numbers steer you toward more filling, less caloric choices. And by providing a scorekeeper of sorts (scheduled weigh-ins) and a field of co-players, if you go to meetings and a set of carrots to motivate you (charms and stuff for hitting goals if you're a meetings member).

+1. My weight watcher friend said the same thing. It's more of a game with the daily, weekly, and exercise points you can play around with and juggle in a week (she still incorporates her activity points even though they frown upon it now). Plus then you get fun stickers and charms. When she hit goal they rolled out a red carpet for her, so community recognition is huge. For me, juggling those things just seems like a headache but to each their own.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I find counting calories/macros like a game. I pre-log each evening for the next day and it feels fun -- like a puzzle game. But maybe I'm just weird.

Then I'm weird, too :p It's like Tetris and The Price is Right all rolled together. I fit foods together to match and reach my macros/micros, etc., all while keeping the calories as close to the goal without going over. Now where's my new jet skis and outdoor barbecue, Bob Barker?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I find counting calories/macros like a game. I pre-log each evening for the next day and it feels fun -- like a puzzle game. But maybe I'm just weird.

Then I'm weird, too :p It's like Tetris and The Price is Right all rolled together. I fit foods together to match and reach my macros/micros, etc., all while keeping the calories as close to the goal without going over. Now where's my new jet skis and outdoor barbecue, Bob Barker?

Come on down!

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What I'm confused about is that from what I hear, the new WW program actually makes it near impossible to indulge and makes it so you are only supposed to eat stereotypically "healthy" foods... So not promoting eating everything in moderation, but only eating the things WW wants you to eat.

That seems to be it, was talking to my sister who is on the program. A 20 oz pepsi is 16 points, she eats a breakfast of 3 egg whites, a pouch of tuna, and an ounce of cheese and that is 1 point...... She knows she is gaming the system by finding the low and no point foods, but it just seems a really unbalanced system with a good bit of food shaming in it. Really anti sugar, which just doesn't seem sustainable.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Pepsi is probably around 6-8 points. Three egg whites is 1 point, 3 oz. tuna is 2 points, an ounce of regular (not lowfat) cheese is 3. So 6 points total.

She's not gaming the system. She's eating how they want her to learn to eat to maintain a healthy weight and good nutrition.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    What I'm confused about is that from what I hear, the new WW program actually makes it near impossible to indulge and makes it so you are only supposed to eat stereotypically "healthy" foods... So not promoting eating everything in moderation, but only eating the things WW wants you to eat.

That seems to be it, was talking to my sister who is on the program. A 20 oz pepsi is 16 points, she eats a breakfast of 3 egg whites, a pouch of tuna, and an ounce of cheese and that is 1 point...... She knows she is gaming the system by finding the low and no point foods, but it just seems a really unbalanced system with a good bit of food shaming in it. Really anti sugar, which just doesn't seem sustainable.

I think the anti-sugar stuff is actually really good. Who knows if it will change in another 10 years, but obviously they are figuring out fat isn't really that bad for you. And cholesterol in food and some amount of sodium aren't killers either. But eating a lot of added sugar seems to be linked to some problems. New USDA regulations are along the lines of less than 10g of added sugar a day. I don't always hit this, but I consume less sugar than I used to for sure. WW still needs to fix their weird "low fat" thing though.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Points Plus system was pretty manageable, I did it for a while and I have a coworker who lost 40+lbs on it. But this new system they changed to for 2016? It's still pretty new but I haven't found anyone yet who really likes it. What's weird is my friend has been Lifetime for a year, and the same food she was eating on Points Plus for her maintenance total is NOW "over" her points on the new system. So according to WW, what was working for maintenance for her is now too much and she'll "gain weight." But it's the same food. That says to me the calculations are flawed.