Embarrassed myself at the gym

Ok, so I'm writing on here basically because I am so embarrassed to tell anyone I know personally.
So I've been working out The gym again for about 6 months. 2 months ago I finally gained the courage to go into the weight side of the gym, it's a military gym so it is quite intimidating. Today I decided to use the squat rack for the 2nd time, instead of the smith machine, for my squats. I used the squat rack wrong, as the levers weren't on it and I used the deadlift portion to put the weight down and lift it back up, ultimately I could have hurt myself. A guy came up to help me set it up properly. Really nice of him. However, now I am just so embarrassed, like I don't even want to set foot in the gym again. How am I supposed to build my confidence back up ? I feel like such an idiot lol

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    You'll get over it. We've all done embarrassing things in the gym. Good for you for trying something new! I flew off the stairmaster once. I laughed and got back on. :*
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I've done that and more! You live and you learn ! We where not born knowing how to lift and proper form , this takes learning and time. Trial and error sometimes. I bet 98% of the members of your gym have made mistakes also when they where new ! It happens to the best of us !
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I fell off the treadmill at my work gym, where at least 3 of my coworkers got to witness my clumsiness lol. Hey, you're at the gym working out. Feel proud of yourself. You're trying. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    IF everyone stopped doing something because of an embarrassing moment, nobody would be doing any activity what so ever.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I didn't wanna admit this but here it goes -
    I used to leave the gym with bleeding shins. I would literally cut my legs with the bar because I was doing it wrong.
    One time a trainer came up to me and said " if you leave the gym bleeding then you have a problem !" I was mortified! But I went home and researched why I was doing this and how to correct it.
    We all do embarrassing things in life. Don't let this stop you from achieving your goals!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You learned. Now you know the correct method. Does that give you confidence? Perhaps you could work with a trainer of stuff member to learn proper use of the equipment. Beyond tha,. I doubt anyone else noticed, remembeted, or cares. Carry on!
  • heatherdear18
    heatherdear18 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks everyone lol. I don't think I need a trainer, I know how to use everything else, but that, well I'm sure I could benefit from one but they're expensive. I guess I'll just have to continue on, I mean it's funny, don't get me wrong. Just ugh lol
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    We all do dumb things when we're learning, I was on the bench press without a spotter last week doing relatively lightweight when on my last rep I just lost all strength and couldn't get the bar back up on the rack, struggled for prolly 30 seconds of panic before I was able to get the bar back up finally. I knew people were watching but whatever next time I know to tune it down when I don't have a spotter. Live and learn and then get lean!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Why should that be embarrassing? The person that helped you was new at one time and someone showed him/her.
  • amazingames82
    amazingames82 Posts: 11 Member
    Military gyms are no joke I used to work out at the one at my last base and the weight room can be intimidating as hell to walk into! Hold your head up and be confident we all make mistakes. You got this!!
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    There are muscle heads in every gym, and I see so many that don't have the right form when they lift....yours was just a mistake....No big deal, and no reason to be intimidated.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    I was really hoping for something that was actually embarrassing, like "I did a squat and split my pants" or "I was straining so hard to lift that weight that i shat myself." Or even "I was flirting and I tripped and did a faceplant." lol. What you did isn't even a little embarrassing. For future reference, most gyms will have an attendant, or even a trainer, that will be glad to spare a moment to help you learn how to use equipment. And if you are wanting to use free weights, then paying for a session with a trainer, in order to set you up with a safe routine, is probably a good idea.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2016
    I got stuck in the leg press machine once. It was slightly different machine than I'd use in the past and i couldn't figure out how to latch the weight back in place when I was done. And I was a 30 year old, just had a baby 6 weeks ago (so squishy), grad student working out at a engineering university gym. I had to call the 20-year-old engineer/football player that worked there over to help me.

So yeah, many of us have done stupid things at the gym. Shake it off.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Once I was looking for some weights for my bar and I actually took one off a bar some guy was about to bench press. His eyes nearly popped out of his head!! Hilarious!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    I was really hoping for something that was actually embarrassing, like "I did a squat and split my pants" or "I was straining so hard to lift that weight that i shat myself." Or even "I was flirting and I tripped and did a faceplant." lol. What you did isn't even a little embarrassing. For future reference, most gyms will have an attendant, or even a trainer, that will be glad to spare a moment to help you learn how to use equipment. And if you are wanting to use free weights, then paying for a session with a trainer, in order to set you up with a safe routine, is probably a good idea.

^^This. Go eat some bran muffins, drink black coffee, and run 5 miles on the treadmill. I'll wait.

In all seriousness, you're fine. Blush if you've got to, but go back. It's the better end to the story.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I've been embarrassing myself in gyms for 40 years - the ability to laugh at yourself helps.
    As does a loud voice when you go for one rep too many on bench press..... HELP!

It was your turn this time, next time someone else will take their turn in the spotlight.
  • Deadcat66
    Deadcat66 Posts: 18 Member
    I embarrass myself every time I go! My local gymn is attached to a school and I'm 48! 99% of the people are under 20 and already fit. but... they don't care how fat and old I am. The guy who helped you probably forgot all about it in 2 minutes. You should do the same.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i embarrass myself on a daily basis at the gym.

laugh at yourself and move on ;)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I banged my forehead on an Olympic bar and it cut my scalp. I bled all over the gym and bathroom. I was trying to stop the bleeding while simultaneously trying to clean up the blood. It looked like a war zone!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I'm unimpressed with the level of embarrassment in OP. I saw a lady fall on a treadmill and be shot into the wall behind it. Now, that is embarrassing. I saw her the next day at the gym (not on the treadmill though).