Options
12346»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    He was a cardiothoracic surgeon who got dollar signs in his eyes and sold out to become nothing more than a snake oil peddler.
    I am not a fan of Dr. Oz's forays into fads and alternative medicine, but if you are going to spew poison, then at least get your facts straight:

He IS a CT surgeon; in fact he has an academic appointment as a Professor of Surgery with Columbia University. I can only guess at his motivations to appear on TV but money seems to be the least likely.

I also find it troubling to read all these attacks, yet not one person has bothered to watch the show and counter any statements with science. Irony. Perhaps he was simply pointing out that a person can eat low caloric density foods to satiety and be under BMR.

Also, never underestimate a person's willingness to make even more money. Being a TV star pays pretty well.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes I saw it too. I believe it, however a person would need to consume approx. 500 cals of these foods (Celery, carrot, lettuce, cuke....and the list goes on and these would have to be raw.) That just does not appeal to me. My jaws would be killing me after all that crunching. LOL!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Disclaimers:
    1. I am not trying to defend Dr. Oz
    2. I don't know what that show was calling a 'negative calorie,' but I consider the entire notion more than a bit silly

But just as an exercise in thinking, is it possible for a person to burn more calories than they digest from a food ? Well, it probably for the most part depends on how one defines food. E.g., say that a person actually absorbs a very small amount of energy from eating lawn grass. Most people would not call it 'food' for humans precisely because the work to get that energy is more than obtained. So this becomes a tautology.

How about chewing gum ? Is it a food ?
    How about celery eaten by a person with no teeth ?
    How about a mite of sugar encased in an envelope that takes an hour of chewing to break down ? Certainly net negative!

The Mayo clinic blog linked above got it right: "negative calories" as defined above (and by them) is possible but is not a reasonable way to live or diet.

However, it is reasonable to advocate eating low caloric density foods as a majority of the daily diet. From that POV Dr. Oz is pointing people in a good direction, towards an unprocessed, plant based diet rather than refined sugars and fat wrapped up in plastic.

Now, something of a defense of Dr. Oz:
    Frankly I view him the same way I view this forum: 90% noise related to fads and hokum, but a net positive because people eat healthier and lose weight when they have community, when they can talk about their diet rather than simply eat less and move more. Both jump into the deep end precisely because humans (and overweight dieters in particular) are psychological works in progess and the solutions are a case of "don't let facts get in the way of improvement." So if Dr. Oz's viewers find motivation to eat a healthier diet from believing that vegetables are making them smarter or sexier or whatever, I try to not lose sight of the actual beneficial result. And if they eat a placebo 'supplement' along the way as a support mechanism, well that is a whole lot better than the alternative.

My wife occasionally watches his show while at the gym and brings home tidbits. I change the subject because I find fads and hokum annoying, but then I avoid the "ketogenic" and "metabolism" diet threads too. At least to me, a more palatable MD on TV is Dr. Fuhrman, of the "nutritarian" movement. I read a good part of one of his books and while most is repetition and salesmanship and a fair bit is hokum, he gets the important things right:

1. Hunger is a complex physiology and psychology, and not well understood. Support, community, exercise, and food choices all have their roles to play in not having it become an unhealthy part of our lives.
    2. Eat vegetables. Lots of them
    3. The less processed food, the better
    4. Move!

Dr. Oz gets this too, which is much more important than the hokum.

So pika is a negative calorie habit? I don't think that was what the segment was about, and I'm not about to tacitly endorse Oz's show's existence by viewing it to make a completely informed rebuttal.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz put out good books before he had a show. I agree that he knows what he's talking about overall. He just is now making a daytime tv show about health and that means having guests that write diet books and those pretty much all have some exaggerated claims or attention-getting terms like this one does.

Hardly anyone in the weight loss industry doesn't rely on some mythical magic words to sell books and DVDS, including some authorities popular here. Alan Aragon's "Lean Muscle Diet". Lean muscle, seriously? Jillian Michaels sells fat burners. Beachbody is a pyramid scheme of b.s. All the books pretty much talk about firing up your metabolism. I think Chris Powell's had that. They almost all use diet catch phrases, usually right in the title or on the cover.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    However, it is reasonable to advocate eating low caloric density foods as a majority of the daily diet. From that POV Dr. Oz is pointing people in a good direction, towards an unprocessed, plant based diet rather than refined sugars and fat wrapped up in plastic.

So why not simply stick to the simple, correct message rather than all this smoke and mirrors nonsense?

Because it doesn't sell. It doesn't attract fame. It doesn't attract followers.

He's no different from those fake psychics who exploit desperate people's vulnerability towards supernatural thinking. He's given up being a man of science to be a preacher.

• nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I saw a show in London that really convinced me how different our cultures were about certain topics. A doctor's booth was set up in the middle of the street and people were invited to come in and speak with a medical professional about anything that might be troubling them, provided they were willing to appear on the show. Not a bad premise, as a doctor's appointment can be expensive and time-consuming, and this provided them with instant answers and/or advice.

One lady walked into the booth having trouble with her - let's just say "Exit Door" since I don't know what will be censored.

She dropped trow and spread cheek - and they showed everything. I promptly changed the channel.

Now, I get that the British sense of shame and nudity is different from US standards. HOWEVER - this woman said that the reason she hadn't gone to her normal doctor was because she was too embarrassed. Too embarrassed to go to a private doctor's appointment, but she happily went on a national television program (which revealed her face, first name, etc...)? I was so confused.

(To avoid derailing, I will say that Dr. Oz says a lot of common sense things... but if it's old and proven, it's probably already somewhat common knowledge. If what he says is new and different, he's probably speaking out of his "Exit Door".)
    I'm in the UK. I have a love/hate relationship with embarrassing bodies. However, let me be clear, I don't understand why people go on that show. We have the nhs! lol
    Ps everyone with the dr title doesn't deserve the title, or have any sense!
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

So why not simply stick to the simple, correct message rather than all this smoke and mirrors nonsense?
    For the exact same reason that this forum is a lot larger than one single post that says:

1.Eat more vegetables
    2.Eat less processed food
    3.Move more!
    4.Ignore non-physiological hunger

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

For the exact same reason that this forum is a lot larger than one single post that says:

1.Eat more vegetables
    2.Eat less processed food
    3.Move more!
    4.Ignore non-physiological hunger

Which is what reason? I am not being deliberately obtuse here, I promise.

It seems to me that a Person A may, in the long run, do Person B a disservice by indulging Person B's need for fantastical thinking so that Person B may obtain a short term benefit (such as temporary weight loss but without knowledge of the exact reasons why).

• byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lydcot58 wrote: »
    Wow!!! I came back on and cannot believe all the Dr. Oz haters. Yeesh! I don't know if any of you watched the segment. I guess not since why would you watch him. I admit he does flip-flop a lot, who ever is his guest he usually goes with, not always. He was saying how some foods, mostly vegetables and some fruit actually use up more calories to digest in the body than they add to your caloric total. Hence, being negative calories. I'm still logging my calories and I am counting fruits and vegetables. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

I don't think Dr. Oz is legit, but I have heard this since I was little..... Celery is a perfect example. It burns more calories to chew and digest celery (which is mostly made up of water) than are actually contained in the celery itself. So, everybody just calm down and shove a celery stick in their pie hole ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lydcot58 wrote: »
    Wow!!! I came back on and cannot believe all the Dr. Oz haters. Yeesh! I don't know if any of you watched the segment. I guess not since why would you watch him. I admit he does flip-flop a lot, who ever is his guest he usually goes with, not always. He was saying how some foods, mostly vegetables and some fruit actually use up more calories to digest in the body than they add to your caloric total. Hence, being negative calories. I'm still logging my calories and I am counting fruits and vegetables. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

I don't think Dr. Oz is legit, but I have heard this since I was little..... Celery is a perfect example. It burns more calories to chew and digest celery (which is mostly made up of water) than are actually contained in the celery itself. So, everybody just calm down and shove a celery stick in their pie hole ;)

This has already been proven false earlier in this thread.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    He was a cardiothoracic surgeon who got dollar signs in his eyes and sold out to become nothing more than a snake oil peddler.
    I am not a fan of Dr. Oz's forays into fads and alternative medicine, but if you are going to spew poison, then at least get your facts straight:

He IS a CT surgeon; in fact he has an academic appointment as a Professor of Surgery with Columbia University. I can only guess at his motivations to appear on TV but money seems to be the least likely.

I also find it troubling to read all these attacks, yet not one person has bothered to watch the show and counter any statements with science. Irony. Perhaps he was simply pointing out that a person can eat low caloric density foods to satiety and be under BMR.

Just a note, my boyfriend's sister is a nurse at Columbia-Pres and has seen Dr. Oz on her floor since she works with open heart surgery patients, heart transplant patients, etc. So he's kept his MD license and sometimes does surgeries. So everyone saying that is not a CT surgeon, you are wrong.