Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet

meekmoe85
meekmoe85 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
6 days no carbs. Cold turkey. High fat and protein diet is working wonders. Eventually, slowly introduce fruits back in and that's all you need. :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Wouldn't some vegetables be more important for your health and wellbeing than fruits? I always thought fruits were much more optional for a healthy life than vegetables.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    6 days is far too short of a time to determine success or failure.

• Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    Brocoli spinach cucumber very low carbs and nutritious and will break the borderm of pure meat
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    I can't give up my 2x daily cuppa and have tried Arla Lactose Free whole milk' the lowest carb milk I can find. At only 2 teaspoons per cup, I'm hoping it won't stall my keto start? Ideas please ☕
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    edited February 2016
    ^ my cousin makes bulletproof coffee on keto- adds coconut oil/butter. still creamy but high fat. I don't really know what to think of keto as shes focusing on only doing high fat, more so than protein, which imo, cant be good for organs.
    Clare0116 wrote: »
    I can't give up my 2x daily cuppa and have tried Arla Lactose Free whole milk' the lowest carb milk I can find. At only 2 teaspoons per cup, I'm hoping it won't stall my keto start? Ideas please ☕

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I like to see this debated. Recently had a friend switch to keto. He is a nutrition science major and bodybuilder. I was under the impression that the studies say at the end of the day keto makes no difference. In fact low fat diet did a little better in fat loss. CICO is king then macros.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    meekmoe85 wrote: »
    6 days no carbs. Cold turkey. High fat and protein diet is working wonders. Eventually, slowly introduce fruits back in and that's all you need. :)

Out of curiosity, how is this a debate thread? Do you wish to debate the merits of the keto diet? If you want support, there's a good low carb group, and the Motivation forum.

If you want to discuss keto, here's my view:

(1) Not necessary to lose weight or superior to other methods, and is not for everyone or even most people.

(2) Can be a great choice for people who find that they are more likely to have cravings or difficulty being satisfied on a higher carb or even moderate carb diet (I don't understand how this is, so it's obviously not for me) or for someone who simply prefers high fat foods to most carbs.

(3) Is often tried before someone tries just changing their carb choices, and if someone is eating a low nutrient diet and their carb choices are mostly sweets or refined grains or soda or the like and they don't eat many vegetables, they should probably fix that before deciding carbs are the problem.

(4) Can be healthy (although no more so than other diets), but is only healthy if someone makes good food choices and doesn't just lower carbs. Those good food choices frequently will include carbs -- specifically, I am skeptical that people are better off ignoring the dietary advice to eat a good amount and variety of vegetables (I do know there are some rare digestive issues that would be an exception).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Wouldn't some vegetables be more important for your health and wellbeing than fruits? I always thought fruits were much more optional for a healthy life than vegetables.

This is my reading of the various nutrition information out there.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how is this a debate thread? Do you wish to debate the merits of the keto diet? If you want support, there's a good low carb group, and the Motivation forum.

(1) Not necessary to lose weight or superior to other methods, and is not for everyone or even most people.

(2) Can be a great choice for people who find that they are more likely to have cravings or difficulty being satisfied on a higher carb or even moderate carb diet (I don't understand how this is, so it's obviously not for me) or for someone who simply prefers high fat foods to most carbs.

(3) Is often tried before someone tries just changing their carb choices, and if someone is eating a low nutrient diet and their carb choices are mostly sweets or refined grains or soda or the like and they don't eat many vegetables, they should probably fix that before deciding carbs are the problem.

(4) Can be healthy (although no more so than other diets), but is only healthy if someone makes good food choices and doesn't just lower carbs. Those good food choices frequently will include carbs -- specifically, I am skeptical that people are better off ignoring the dietary advice to eat a good amount and variety of vegetables (I do know there are some rare digestive issues that would be an exception).

I'm generally of this opinion, too. After watching someone try (and fail) many times to do keto, I've learned a few important facts:

- Reddit users have a screwed up definition of "healthy" (saying this because the Keto Reddit forum seems to be where a lot of Ketoers go for information)

- Keto flu sucks.

- The amount of grease one creates from all that HF cooking can really saturate a kitchen. We're still in the process of having to scrape the congealed fat off of our appliances and light fixtures. It got everywhere.

That being said, while the person I witnessed was able to stay on plan, he did lose weight. I've also heard it can be a life-changing diet for people with seizure disorders. Just... definitely not the diet for the majority, IMO.
  • exum235
    exum235 Posts: 30 Member
    Ketosis is to hard to maintain its a crash diet to failure
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wondering this too. If it isnt meant for debate, I can move it.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Not sure how this applies to debating yet, so I'm going to leave the keto portion alone and wish ANYTHING worked wonders in 6 days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

No carbs?

Hmm.

And if I were going to "introduce things back" to a keto diet I'd start with vegetables.

Are you sure you've read up on a keto diet?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    exum235 wrote: »
    Ketosis is to hard to maintain its a crash diet to failure

Nah, there's plenty of people who can manage it fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Maybe the OP checked her crystal ball and determined that any thread with "keto" in the title is going to end up resulting in debate so she just started her thread here rather than subjecting it to being moved later, in entirety or in pieces...
  • jamkelly10
    jamkelly10 Posts: 5 Member
    I wouldn't go overboard on following Ketogenic diets. They may be ok for dropping weight quickly in short run but in the long term could cause you harm. If you consume virtually no carbs I.e no glucose your body will make glucose because it needs it. It does this by a process known as gluconeogenisis whereby the proteins are converted into glucose to support your energy demands. If you want to loose weight, just reduce your pro, carb and fat levels and it shouldn't be a problem. Plus you'll be loosing your consumed protein... It's unlikely you will live the rest of your life avoiding carbs, so enjoy them in moderation.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    I like to see this debated. Recently had a friend switch to keto. He is a nutrition science major and bodybuilder. I was under the impression that the studies say at the end of the day keto makes no difference. In fact low fat diet did a little better in fat loss. CICO is king then macros.

Either way works, so I've heard.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Not sure how this applies to debating yet, so I'm going to leave the keto portion alone and wish ANYTHING worked wonders in 6 days.

Well some people believe that's all it took to make the world

Personally I'm in for evolution
  • mrbgraziano
    mrbgraziano Posts: 26 Member
    I am curious about the effects of keto diets on cholesterol levels. Any insight or literature welcomed!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I am curious about the effects of keto diets on cholesterol levels. Any insight or literature welcomed!

It depends on a lot of factors: genetics, how your body responds to fats, especially which fats you eat (unsaturated vs saturated). In general, any diet that helps you lose weight will improve your cholesterol levels; regardless if it's vegan, keto/lc, paleo, flexible etc.. But there are people out there who don't respond well to high fat diets.

Keep in mind, that high fat diets doesn't mean highly saturated. There are plenty of highly unsaturated sources of foods which have been shown to improve cholesterol, fish and nuts being the two main ones that I can think of.
This discussion has been closed.