Favorite pre and post workout supplements?

Options
I take creatine and nitric oxide prior to my workout and BCAA's/protein powder within 30 minutes after. Curious what others are taking and is producing results for you?

Replies

• ro55ymac
    ro55ymac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take a double espresso 20-30 minutes before a work-out. The whole 30 minute anabolic window thing has been shown to be bro-science (the window is more like 4 hours), but nonetheless because of when I tend to workout, I eat a pretty solid meal (1000 cals) shortly after training.

I take a protein shake before bed, with some creatine (again there is no need to take creatine immediately pre-workout, but no harm in doing so).

What are you using for nitric oxide pre-?
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Normally about an hour before workout I'll have a shake made up of oats, bananas, protein, creatine and milk. After workout I'll have another protein shake followed by lunch which is normally rice and chicken in some kind of sauce.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most supplements will provide little to no effect. Creatine only works for a subset of individuals and generally is those who dont' have a diet very high in meat (doesn't work for me). Outside of creatine, caffeine works for some people and provides a boost in workout performance (again, doesn't effect me). Whey/BCAA is only needed if you can't eat enough protein or enough calories. But getting 2.2g/kg of protein / kg of mass is fairly easy during a bulk.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've taken pre workouts in the past but they really are no more effective than strong coffee or a caffine pill that you can buy at the pharmacy for a few bucks so I would save your money there. Currently, if I take anything before a workout it's going to be coffee and a fast carb like gummies or dextrose (corn sugar) mixed into water with some flavour shot like Mio.

Afterwards I'll either eat something like tuna and gummies or have a whey protein shake depending on my mood and how many calories I can still have for the day. Suppliments are a waste of money for the most part and even if they did magically work based on the ingredients there is a lot of spot testing by media that has shown that you never know what you are actually getting. Save your money and eat real food would be my recommendation.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've tried pre-workouts before (Pre-Jym, C4, etc.), but I didn't feel like they did anything for me. They did make me feel flushed and like my skin was tingling, which is not a feeling I enjoy. Now-a-days, if I need a "pick me up" before my workout, I'll drink a cup of coffee.

I used to take creatine, but I didn't notice much of anything. I may be in the subset of people who get no benefit from it.

Post-workout I eat a meal. I workout after getting off work but before we have dinner in the evening. The only time I use a protein shake/bar is when I need a quick protein boost or I'm on the run and don't want to/have the time to stop for a full meal. I only really use them to tide me over for a little bit longer until I can get a full meal.
  • ro55ymac
    Options
    I am interested for those reporting no effect from creatine how you have judged this. As I understand its effect, it would be that you may be able to manage a little more work in the gym than without, but I'd be quite surprised if the effect was noticeable. I am currently taking it because I got a freebie bag to review. There is no noticeable super-charged effect, but then I wouldn't expect there to be.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ^ I think it takes 4-6 weeks of continuous use to get the effects of creatine. I started taking it in late December and have been bulking since then and have only noticed my performance in the gym increase greatly in February. Nothing has changed since January to February in the amount of food intake so I can't really say it's due to more calories or something. And since I've noticed the increase in energy in the gym, I have also upped my volume and intensity and still don't get gassed like I normally would. Plus I don't take in any other supps like pre workout.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ro55ymac wrote: »
    I am interested for those reporting no effect from creatine how you have judged this. As I understand its effect, it would be that you may be able to manage a little more work in the gym than without, but I'd be quite surprised if the effect was noticeable. I am currently taking it because I got a freebie bag to review. There is no noticeable super-charged effect, but then I wouldn't expect there to be.

A fairly large percentage of people are non-responders so will see no noticible effects from taking creatine. Those who do will generally report small but noticible gains such as an extra rep or two at a particular weight range. Jason Blaha ran the numbers and estimated the true effect at something like .8% per year in extra gains. Not sure how accurate that is but the real effects are pretty small in any event even for those who aren't non-responders.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ^ I think it takes 4-6 weeks of continuous use to get the effects of creatine. I started taking it in late December and have been bulking since then and have only noticed my performance in the gym increase greatly in February. Nothing has changed since January to February in the amount of food intake so I can't really say it's due to more calories or something. And since I've noticed the increase in energy in the gym, I have also upped my volume and intensity and still don't get gassed like I normally would. Plus I don't take in any other supps like pre workout.

This sounds more like an effect of your bulking diet, the differences can be amazing since you'll have a lot more glycogen just by eating over maintenance. Creatine shouldn't make you feel more energetic as it is a precursor to phosphocreatine which is readily converted to ATP as required but it's only a very short-term energy source for anerobic activity. I don't think you will notice a big energy difference overall just from the creatine, but the glycogen will make that difference. Bulking is fun!
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    preworkout - cellucor c4 or cobra lab's the curse. poptarts if i'm bulking.
    post - food! or whey protein. bcaa's if i have them.
  • ro55ymac
    Options
    A fairly large percentage of people are non-responders so will see no noticible effects from taking creatine. Those who do will generally report small but noticible gains such as an extra rep or two at a particular weight range.

And I guess there is no real way to separate any small gains from a general training effect (since I am very happily still gaining in my lifts). So, once I'm through this bag I suppose I will stop, run through my next four week training mesocycle and then compare my training diary and try and work out if there is any obvious difference on and off.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A lot of great feedback on this post, thanks to all of you for sharing! I am a big fan of research studies so where feasible post links to those studies as they help support a position. Of course studies can be biased depending on who is conducting them and how they choose to present the data. Regardless, a lot of great points on this topic as supplements in general are controversial. I do believe in nutrient based timing and taking some supplements but it is much more important to get your macro nutrients in the right portions to meet your goals.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    I take a double espresso 20-30 minutes before a work-out. The whole 30 minute anabolic window thing has been shown to be bro-science (the window is more like 4 hours), but nonetheless because of when I tend to workout, I eat a pretty solid meal (1000 cals) shortly after training.

I take a protein shake before bed, with some creatine (again there is no need to take creatine immediately pre-workout, but no harm in doing so).

It is a beet juice based extract with other vegetables mixed in such as red spinach. Feel free to message me or add me.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/14/448314966/why-you-might-want-to-be-drinking-beet-juice-at-the-gym
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »

It is a beet juice based extract with other vegetables mixed in such as red spinach. Feel free to message me or add me.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/14/448314966/why-you-might-want-to-be-drinking-beet-juice-at-the-gym

Interesting, but they were heart patients with a small and specific increase in muscle performance it's hard to say how generalizable it is. Not sure if it's worth it for people who don't like it but if you like beat juice it's certainly a good idea!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    examine.com should be your headquarters for all things supplementation. One thing to keep in mind, there are so many other things that need to be in place and down (calories, macronutrients, training, timing) before supplementation will really provide that extra edge.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    examine.com should be your headquarters for all things supplementation. One thing to keep in mind, there are so many other things that need to be in place and down (calories, macronutrients, training, timing) before supplementation will really provide that extra edge.

Thanks for the additional resource, I agree that supplementation is simply that, a little extra edge but the other factors should be the primary focus.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    A lot of great feedback on this post, thanks to all of you for sharing! I am a big fan of research studies so where feasible post links to those studies as they help support a position. Of course studies can be biased depending on who is conducting them and how they choose to present the data. Regardless, a lot of great points on this topic as supplements in general are controversial. I do believe in nutrient based timing and taking some supplements but it is much more important to get your macro nutrients in the right portions to meet your goals.

Glad someone is! Supplements labeling is controlled by FDA, but supplements aren't very well regulated otherwise and very few have good science backing them. Don't get me wrong-I love my BCAAs and STW pump formula, but you have to be a skeptical consumer.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

This sounds more like an effect of your bulking diet, the differences can be amazing since you'll have a lot more glycogen just by eating over maintenance. Creatine shouldn't make you feel more energetic as it is a precursor to phosphocreatine which is readily converted to ATP as required but it's only a very short-term energy source for anerobic activity. I don't think you will notice a big energy difference overall just from the creatine, but the glycogen will make that difference. Bulking is fun!

You sure? I didn't change my macros in February at all. I'm at the same level of surplus since the beginning of January and increased my workout volume again in February. Wouldn't that mean I would've had to up my surplus in February to keep up with the intensity change now? ....Which I did not do. Wouldn't my glycogen already be full since coming off my "diet" end of November? Please explain more.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

You sure? I didn't change my macros in February at all. I'm at the same level of surplus since the beginning of January and increased my workout volume again in February. Wouldn't that mean I would've had to up my surplus in February to keep up with the intensity change now? ....Which I did not do. Wouldn't my glycogen already be full since coming off my "diet" end of November? Please explain more.

It's hard really to put a finger on energy levels because there are so many factors both physically and psychologically but creatine isn't likely to be a difference maker or, at least, not substantially. There are many things that happen when you start moving out of a deficit and into a surplus and that includes changes in hormones and in mitochondria that will make you feel more energetic. Plus, you tend to feel better when you are eating better as well. I suspect that you are both adapting to your routine and experiencing changes in hormones due to diet rather than the creatine. You might want to try removing creatine from your diet and see what happens, it certianly can't hurt to try if you are curious.

I've also looked a little more into the literature and there seems to be some minor reistance to fatigue found in many studies but this isn't the same as increase in energy levels. Whatever it is that's causing it for you just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy it, just realize it's probably not the creatine.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    A fairly large percentage of people are non-responders so will see no noticible effects from taking creatine. Those who do will generally report small but noticible gains such as an extra rep or two at a particular weight range.

And I guess there is no real way to separate any small gains from a general training effect (since I am very happily still gaining in my lifts). So, once I'm through this bag I suppose I will stop, run through my next four week training mesocycle and then compare my training diary and try and work out if there is any obvious difference on and off.

I notice substantial changes from creatine, based on tracking my workouts very carefully. Mostly it's just the ability to do more work, so (as someone else mentioned) I can do 8-10 reps where I had been struggling with 6-8. This is true across my lifts, so the amount of volume being added is fairly substantial.

I also gain about 3-5 pounds of water weight when I'm on it, unrelated to fat/muscle gain.

It takes about 2 weeks to see the improvements, and they plateau pretty much immediately. They also go away within a week of stopping the creatine, but more volume is more volume. The weight gain also disappears in about a week.

Creatine is one of the most studied supplements, mainly because it's generally harmless. But as someone above mentioned, there are people who gain nothing from it. More info ...