Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options

[*] Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.

So.. I'm assuming any and all with commercials... so no fruits or veg with commercials.

[*] Don't eat foods that have a mascot.

Again with the fruits and veg included. The little Halos orange is a mascot of sorts. And goodbye Chiquita banana lady!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When someone says clean eating I assume they mean eating foods that are, or are made from ingredients that are, close to their natural state without synthetic or many additives, unless they clarify otherwise. If the food has no natural state then it would not be clean*.

*not being clean does not make the food dirty or evil or bad or immoral.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Now here's a question. I like fries.
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    x311Tifa wrote: »

So.. I'm assuming any and all with commercials... so no fruits or veg with commercials.

Again with the fruits and veg included. The little Halos orange is a mascot of sorts. And goodbye Chiquita banana lady!

Or eggs. Or Beef. Or Pork. anyone ever 30 in the US should remember "The incredible edible egg", "Beef; it's what's for dinner", and "Pork; the other white meat" ad campaigns that bombarded us.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I just heard a commercial for fish. I'm glad that's out; I don't like fish.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I never really thought of eating as being "clean" or not until I came on these forums. For me, the word I would always use would be "healthy". And this begs the question, is "healthy" and "clean" eating synonymous?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I always thought clean eating was: Take a food or group of foods, and for arbitrary reasons that you have convinced yourself are not actually arbitrary, exclude that food or group of foods from your diet.

Sounds pretty accurate. But make sure to include "...and feel that you are morally superior to others because you arbitrarily exclude <insert demonized foods/food groups here> from your diet".
  • auddii
    Options

Or eggs. Or Beef. Or Pork. anyone ever 30 in the US should remember "The incredible edible egg", "Beef; it's what's for dinner", and "Pork; the other white meat" ad campaigns that bombarded us.

Except that pork is red meat. But you definitely have a point.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Or the California dairy commercials and pistachio commercials that are everywhere nowadays.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.

I could see that. It rides a fine line with my familiarity with the term clean. I'd say it's not totally clean but it's cleaner than most packaged fries.
  • sullus
    Options

Clean or not?

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd define "clean eating" as a shibboleth for its particular branch of dietary tribalism. This is why the phrase is frequently capitalised by its core proponents.
  • sullus
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Not according to my TV it's not. Who am I going to believe? The talking picture-box which soothes me in the evenings, or a bully like you?
  • auddii
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Not according to my TV it's not. Who am I going to believe? The talking picture-box which soothes me in the evenings, or a bully like you?

*sigh* I'd side with the talky box too...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I never really thought of eating as being "clean" or not until I came on these forums. For me, the word I would always use would be "healthy". And this begs the question, is "healthy" and "clean" eating synonymous?

Not in the way I'm used to them being used. Clean is about how natural the food is, healthy is about how the food affects our health.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    An apple would be 'clean' based on it not requiring preparation, can be eaten in its natural state etc. But what if it was covered with pesticides? What about meat from animals who were pumped full of hormones to get bigger. Are those still 'clean'?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    To me, it means foods that are not processed, that you can take directly from nature and eat or drink with 0 to minimal preparation.

How would you define preparation?

Cooking time? Some other factor?

Animals are natural, right? I know many people don't eat them, but I require more than 0 preparation when it comes to a chicken running around in the yard.

Just about everyone likes *some* kind of processing and preparation for their meat, even if they are doing it themselves.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Clean or not?

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.

Fritos are pretty far from the natural state of corn.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Fritos are pretty far from the natural state of corn.

Because they're ground?

Does that mean that corn tortillas aren't "clean"? What about polenta?

Or is it something else?
  • sullus
    Options
    Another one that really gets me is the honey vs high fructose corn syrup debate ... one is awesome and clean and great for you, and the other is the processed scourge of the earth, killing us all.

But they're nearly the same thing. Their Glucose to Fructose ratios are quite similar and they act the same way in the body.

They're both made pretty much the same way too. Both start with sugar water from plants, add enzymes to convert about 45% of the sugar to fructose, evaporate until sticky.