Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Now here's a question. I like fries.
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.

I can go a step further than that: I just looked in our freezer at a bag of Pictsweet frozen steam-in-the-bag Asparagus spears. They're packaged, thus have obviously been "processed", and have a bar code too, which would make them off-limits by some definitions of "clean eating". Yet when I look at the ingredients list, this is what it says:
    Ingredients: Asparagus

One ingredient. A vegetable. A plant-based food. Veg*an friendly, gluten-free, nonfat, no added preservatives, coloring or flavoring. But it's processed, packaged and has a bar code. Oh, and it didn't come from the outside aisle of the grocery store. So un"clean". Yet it has the exact same ingredient list as the fresh asparagus spears over in the produce section on the outside aisle of the grocery store.

That's how silly, nonsensical and arbitrary "clean eating" can be.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.

Fritos are pretty far from the natural state of corn.

The only processing is grinding, shaping, cooking. They're pretty close to the natural state of corn.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    breakfast after my shower. clean eating. :/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.

Because they're ground?

Does that mean that corn tortillas aren't "clean"? What about polenta?

Or is it something else?

Yes, because they are ground. Technically, shucked, decobbed (or whatever you call removing the kernels from the cob) and ground. I don't see how tortillas any different, polenta maybe a little cleaner as a single food.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Clean or not?

I can go a step further than that: I just looked in our freezer at a bag of Pictsweet frozen steam-in-the-bag Asparagus spears. They're packaged, thus have obviously been "processed", and have a bar code too, which would make them off-limits by some definitions of "clean eating". Yet when I look at the ingredients list, this is what it says:
    Ingredients: Asparagus

One ingredient. A vegetable. A plant-based food. Veg*an friendly, gluten-free, nonfat, no added preservatives, coloring or flavoring. But it's processed, packaged and has a bar code. Oh, and it didn't come from the outside aisle of the grocery store. So un"clean". Yet it has the exact same ingredient list as the fresh asparagus spears over in the produce section on the outside aisle of the grocery store.

That's how silly, nonsensical and arbitrary "clean eating" can be.

I went with fries because I can imagine many clean eaters going "Not clean" for the fact it's fries alone already without caring about the rest. They're available at Fast Food joints after all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

Yes, because they are ground. Technically, shucked, decobbed (or whatever you call removing the kernels from the cob) and ground. I don't see how tortillas any different, polenta maybe a little cleaner as a single food.

Would all ground foods be unclean or is this specific to corn?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

Whelp .. that knocks coffee and tea off the list of clean foods.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    bottled water....gone! well just all water..unless you suck it right out of the creek or your own well.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

It would also remove nut butters, which I think are generally considered okay for clean eaters (but I'm not sure). Also ground meats and everyone I know personally who eats clean will eat ground meats.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

It would also remove nut butters, which I think are generally considered okay for clean eaters (but I'm not sure). Also ground meats and everyone I know personally who eats clean will eat ground meats.

Wouldn't it get rid of steel cut oats, too?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

That's it...I'm out...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

I'm not overly comfortable with the term 'unclean' when it comes to food. I'm old school and never heard it described as anything other clean in varying degrees (clean, sort of clean, not clean, stuff like that). And there is plenty of room for argument even amongst those that share my definition as it's not a black and white type definition. Lots of gray.

But to me, no. Ground foods would not be clean. Those ground with the bran and germ included would cleaner than those with it removed. Those with it removed that are then bleached (e.g. white flour) are not clean.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

Ground beef, salt, pepper, or any spice.

I'm willing to concede on riced cauliflower; that's the work of the devil.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    bottled water....gone! well just all water..unless you suck it right out of the creek or your own well.

But if animals dedicate in it, it would have lots of added ingredients.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    clean eating = preparing everything you eat yourself, knowing every single ingredient in your food because you put it there. Nothing premade at all. You start with raw ingredients (preferably bought from local sources you know). It is pretty much a meaningless term, but this is my definition of it.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    For me, those foods that promote the improvement and/or help to maintain you good vital health markers, such as cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides etc etc. obviously its darn near impossible unless you in the Alaskan wilderness and off the grid gathering and/or growing your own foods organically clean eating will have varying degrees.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

I'm not overly comfortable with the term 'unclean' when it comes to food. I'm old school and never heard it described as anything other clean in varying degrees (clean, sort of clean, not clean, stuff like that). And there is plenty of room for argument even amongst those that share my definition as it's not a black and white type definition. Lots of gray.

But to me, no. Ground foods would not be clean. Those ground with the bran and germ included would cleaner than those with it removed. Those with it removed that are then bleached (e.g. white flour) are not clean.

I understand you're not comfortable with it, but if certain foods are clean, what would you call the rest? "Not clean" doesn't seem that different from "unclean."

But I don't want to get on a tangent with the "unclean" thing.

You would consider almond butter, ground beef (let's say it's grass-fed for good measure), coffee, pepper, and oat milk (made from ground oats) to be "not clean" foods?

• T0M_K
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

But if animals dedicate in it, it would have lots of added ingredients.

true...
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    clean eating: washing my vegetables before cooking them
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's about the silliest word ever for food. We all know what healthy is. Just do it.