Funny excuses for not losing weight or dieting

Options

Replies

• tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    "I have big bones... it runs in my family!"
    Plus I have got more wrinkles now I don't have such a fat face, but no-one is looking at my wrinkles now... :D
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I not want loose saggy skin. Um, ok not everyone who loses weight has loose saggy skin, but ok.

That's the excuse I notice the most on MFP. "I'm so afraid I'll get loose skin!" Well, okay you might, if you've let yourself get big enough and your genetics haven't blessed you with great elastin. But seriously... skin can be hidden. Fat is out there for everyone to see. Skin doesn't (usually) affect your health. Fat can give you a variety of problems.

It's especially eyeroll-inducing to hear it from the people on My 600lb Life. They let themselves get so big, they can't bathe without assistance... but when it comes to loose skin, they're just too vain?

Makes no sense to me. (And yes, I'm sagging in a few places I'd rather not be after my weight loss - but if given the choice, I'd lose the weight again, every time.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,152 Member
    Options
    "People our age can't lose weight." (A whole table full of fat middle-aged people then all nod solemnly.)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I am not overweight just underheight

For fun I calculated how tall I'd have to be to not be counted as overweight at my current weight...

Current weight: 99kg (217lbs)
    Current height: 170cm

To reach a BMI under 25 I'd have to be 200 cm (6ft 6.7 in) tall. I'm not sure I'd fit through my bedroom door without hitting my head :open_mouth:

The one I've heard recently: I don't bother losing weight because I'll just get it all back with friends...
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    On a serious note: I was afraid to loose weight because I was afraid that if I did I wouldn't have anything to throw around, and I wouldn't be perceived as strong. I finally decided that I'd rather be healthy, joined MFP, found the fitness forums, and was ecstatic to find out that lifting won't bulk me out as I had previously thought, and I'd get even stronger than I am now.

Best day of my life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,152 Member
    Options
    This really was intended as a joke, but I remember going to see the US women's hockey national (i.e. Olympic) team, noticing that the goalie was approximately my height/weight, and telling a friend "I don't have to lose weight; I just have to become an elite level athlete."
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The absolute worst I've heard came from a feminist blog. It said that losing weight was tantamount to supplicating the male patriarchy, or something like that. They also said that being overweight was something people didn't really have much control over. Talk about dis-empowerment from the feminists!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The absolute worst I've heard came from a feminist blog. It said that losing weight was tantamount to supplicating the male patriarchy, or something like that. They also said that being overweight was something people didn't really have much control over. Talk about dis-empowerment from the feminists!

Oh yeah, tell me about it! >:)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm too tired.

I'm too busy raising my kids, I don't have any time for myself. (not true from anyone I've heard it from)

I have a lot of medical conditions.

I have some back problems.

I'm not as strong as you.
    "The kids don't like anything but junk food. Maybe when they're grown up..."

Umm... if you don't give your kids McDonalds, they won't eat McDonalds, will they? And just because they eat junk doesn't mean you have to, does it? Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have kids?

Your reaction is probably partly because you don't have kids. As long as my son's intake was 100% under my control, he ate well, but once he went to school, over friends' houses, etc., he developed a taste for food I'm less happy with. As a parent, it takes energy to hold firm, prepare only wholesome meals, endure the complaining or (worse, imo) polite declarations of distaste for the food I lovingly prepared. They have this amazing power to eat nothing until the food they want becomes available. Tracking intake and sticking to wholesome grownup foods is harder with kids in the house.

I don't worry so much about the people eating junk food because their kids are healthy and eating junk...but those who instill junk food habits into a kid from an early age. Family member of mine has a 2 y/o that is still drinking from a bottle half the time and eating fast food and candy plenty of times a week. The kid is young enough they can absolutely control what he's eating. I think it's one thing when the kid is older, yeah you don't know when he eats pizza at his friends house, or refuses to eat the chicken you cooked him. But now he doesn't know any better, so you're training him to think all this stuff is 'normal'. Do I eat a lot of fast food myself? For sure, it's a staple in my diet. But I'm not forcing anyone else to eat it, or teaching young children that it's normal or expected.
    I not want loose saggy skin. Um, ok not everyone who loses weight has loose saggy skin, but ok.

That's the excuse I notice the most on MFP. "I'm so afraid I'll get loose skin!" Well, okay you might, if you've let yourself get big enough and your genetics haven't blessed you with great elastin. But seriously... skin can be hidden. Fat is out there for everyone to see. Skin doesn't (usually) affect your health. Fat can give you a variety of problems.

It's especially eyeroll-inducing to hear it from the people on My 600lb Life. They let themselves get so big, they can't bathe without assistance... but when it comes to loose skin, they're just too vain?

Makes no sense to me. (And yes, I'm sagging in a few places I'd rather not be after my weight loss - but if given the choice, I'd lose the weight again, every time.)

That show is messing with my mind. I'd like to think if that was one of my family members I'd basically put them on a diet if I was the one bringing them all the food. Wouldn't have to even be a low number. They are so heavy they should lose on 2000-2500 calories a day! Some of the ones I watched were still mobile/getting their own food, but the ones where someone brought them ALL their food sorta blew my mind. Also I watched a couple episodes and then saw myself in the mirror and was like 'whoa I look so small' even though I'm obese. Like the opposite of seeing all the skinny models I guess. But I don't think it's good for me to think I am small at this stage, I still have a lot of weight to lose to get healthy.
  • MABMomma
    MABMomma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "The kids don't like anything but junk food. Maybe when they're grown up..."

Umm... if you don't give your kids McDonalds, they won't eat McDonalds, will they? And just because they eat junk doesn't mean you have to, does it? Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have kids?

Your reaction is probably partly because you don't have kids. As long as my son's intake was 100% under my control, he ate well, but once he went to school, over friends' houses, etc., he developed a taste for food I'm less happy with. As a parent, it takes energy to hold firm, prepare only wholesome meals, endure the complaining or (worse, imo) polite declarations of distaste for the food I lovingly prepared. They have this amazing power to eat nothing until the food they want becomes available. Tracking intake and sticking to wholesome grownup foods is harder with kids in the house.

I don't think this is true. You eat what I cook or you don't eat. Period. After a couple of nights of forgoing dinner, they'll eat whatever you put in front of them.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I love this one! "Men's expectations are forcing us to be thin!" ... Not a word about who has the expectation that it's okay to be unhealthy.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My mum said to me this afternoon "I can't loose weight cos I can't exercise" then goes on to blame my dad for adding tonnes of fat when cooking. She's recently been diagnosed with diabetes (dad has diabetes too) she also had a pacemaker, it worries me how big she's getting but I don't feel I can do or say anything.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

I've heard things like this too. It makes me sad that some women might use this as an excuse to remain unhealthy.

My favorite was someone telling me "I can't waste any food." Ok, but you don't have to eat it all at once, or buy it all in the first place.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i hear lots of girls say they can't lose weight because they are just naturally big boned.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My excuse was, "I don't have diabetes yet." I still don't, but now that I've learned how easy it is to lose weight, why not?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I stay fat so I dont cheat on my husband.

I find that ridiculous because if you love him you wont cheat.

My other excuse was "I stay fat so women won't invite me to cheat on my wife."

Even if I do lose the excess, don't invite me.
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Because curves are attractive....
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    "I don't like the gym"

"I like beer and pizza too much to give them up"
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options

AMEN