Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much thought/money do you put into the water you drink?

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    'If that was true the human race would have died out thousands of years ago!! I know it sounds rank but fact is our bodies are equipped to build immunity to bacteria like that! I'm talking clean creek water here like nature intended!'

This is true... Probiotics are a very important part of older nutritional lifestyles. I'm glad your body can handle that water. However many normal people nowadays couldn't handle this type of water.

Call it evolution or just dietary changes, but our bodies really can't handle that bacterial disaster unless we eat the right things.

Sure, we could make it a possibility. What with the probiotics in kombucha, yogurt, kefir, vinegar, fermented foods, etc. We can build a stronger immunity.

People today have it easy, with tap water that's precleaned and fancy vegetable washers and scrubbers and refrigerators.

And isn't that the truth!!! Firm believer in apple cider vinegar daily, homemade yogurt and all our veggies are home grown geez my kids pull carrots and brush them off then eat them....remaining dirt and all lol they all sit in the veggie patch and eat to there hearts content not a wash in site! We do have a refrigerator though hahaha
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm not afraid of our tap water. The house came with the setup I described. A non - softened spigot is fairly common here, we have very hard water and so softening is routine but makes tap water a bit salty. The reverse osmosis setup is nice because I'm not dealing with lime scale buildup on the coffee pot by bit needing to use salty (softened) water either.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    'If that was true the human race would have died out thousands of years ago!! I know it sounds rank but fact is our bodies are equipped to build immunity to bacteria like that! I'm talking clean creek water here like nature intended!'

This is true... Probiotics are a very important part of older nutritional lifestyles. I'm glad your body can handle that water. However many normal people nowadays couldn't handle this type of water.

Call it evolution or just dietary changes, but our bodies really can't handle that bacterial disaster unless we eat the right things.

Sure, we could make it a possibility. What with the probiotics in kombucha, yogurt, kefir, vinegar, fermented foods, etc. We can build a stronger immunity.

People today have it easy, with tap water that's precleaned and fancy vegetable washers and scrubbers and refrigerators.

Considering that many people around the world survive just fine on less-than-ideal water, it's less "evolutionary" on the human DNA scale than it is on the scale of our own microbial ecosystem's evolution (like..what's in our bodies and guts)...you train it to be hardcore, it will be hardcore for you. While some basic sanitation is great (not dying before the age of 5 from diarrhea is pretty awesome), living in an over-sanitized landscape is awful for us too, IMO. We're delicate, and creating super-bugs that can kill us.

Also bottled water (especially in plastic water bottles, and no "BPA free" doesn't mean it doesn't have other cancerous alternatives) isn't good for you.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have a well connected to an aquifer. The water is tested all of the time and is unchlorinated. On top of that, I have a filter attached to my kitchen sink, so I really don't think too much about it.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    We drink creek water.....no filter, no testing! Our water is tannin stained so it's a brown color, the cows poo in it lol, animals drink from it and yup we drink it!......we also have very strong tummies and excellent immune systems.....ours kids have only had gastro once in there lives (as young kids when we were living in city) even when gastro and bugs go around school the kids don't pick them up! We think it's because they are exposed to the bugs and it's enough to build up our immune systems! We do buy bottles water if we are staying in the city because we can't handle the taste and smell of the chlorine!

I guess contracting intestinal parasites is one way to lose and maintain a resonable weight.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Considering that many people around the world survive just fine on less-than-ideal water, it's less "evolutionary" on the human DNA scale than it is on the scale of our own microbial ecosystem's evolution (like..what's in our bodies and guts)...you train it to be hardcore, it will be hardcore for you. While some basic sanitation is great (not dying before the age of 5 from diarrhea is pretty awesome), living in an over-sanitized landscape is awful for us too, IMO. We're delicate, and creating super-bugs that can kill us.

Also bottled water (especially in plastic water bottles, and no "BPA free" doesn't mean it doesn't have other cancerous alternatives) isn't good for you.

Citation needed.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Not really how immunology works.
    To start with, being in the country with low population density is probably subject the immune system to less work - humans are pretty big disease carriers for human diseases.
    Secondly, a beefed up immune system is not a good thing. Our immune system is a hair's breadth away from attacking us. It is a knife'a edge balance that is between under active or over active.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I just stick to coffee so I don't have to worry about it.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Beer is made with safe, potable water also. Just sayin'.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Not really how immunology works.
    To start with, being in the country with low population density is probably subject the immune system to less work - humans are pretty big disease carriers for human diseases.
    Secondly, a beefed up immune system is not a good thing. Our immune system is a hair's breadth away from attacking us. It is a knife'a edge balance that is between under active or over active.

auto-immune disorders are a total *kitten*

I do get the concept behind running water being better than stagnant in terms of survivalism ...and great that you can drink your creek water ...but I wouldn't want the first sign that livestock have developed some kind of disease to be a symptom in my children from their only drinking water being creek water that can be compromised by being open to livestock

Personally not a risk I would happily take

But that's the beauty of evolution I suppose ..only the strong survive, well the strong and the lucky
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm in the UK in a soft water area. It is pretty much all I drink water wise. I think bottled water is nothing but a rip off.

And the industry also creates an awful lot of plastic waste. :(

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jul/09/bottled-water-shipped-halfway-round--world-madness
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Our water is disgusting here (small rural NC town) so we filter it with Brita pitchers. Occasionally I buy bottled water.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I turn the tap on
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Tap water. It has 2 hydrogen atoms to every oxygen atom as any other water and that works for me.
    Lol, just make sure it doesn't have an extra oxygen atom (that would make it hydrogen peroxide) and you'll survive.

385500_10150551771549966_167774004965_11710705_1678899955_n.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Beer is made with safe, potable water also. Just sayin'.

This wasn't always the case.

a lot of people forget that water was unsafe to drink whenever we were forming civilizations and coming together,” Traw said. “What’s interesting is that the documentary talks about how beer sprang up on every continent way before the wheel, or any real grasp of civilization.”

In the documentary, Charlie Bumforth, professor of brewing science at the University of California, Davis, and his team address a very interesting idea: that rancid water polluted by sewage in medieval Europe was used to make beer—with intent of water purification, turning undrinkable water (in a time when water itself was hard to come by) into delicious, hydrating beer.

http://m.the-standard.org/life/entertainment/how-beer-saved-the-world-brings-light-to-age-old/article_cea4b7e8-56b2-11e1-a1e9-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm
  • Mapalicious
    edited February 2016
    Options

Citation needed.

Sure, @FunkyTobias

BPA is Bisphenol A...it's easy enough to look up on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A) where you can read about it's estrogen-like activity, and why it's been banned from baby bottles. As it also says...current research is still in process (as always...science!!), and that's what I find most interesting.

So, BPA is tricky because it affects the endocrine system (as in it affects your estrogen and androgen receptors: it can mess with your reproductive system, among other things). Also, recent studies show that the dose-response relationship of BPA is entirely against common sense: high doses don't affect health, but low doses do. Unfortunately, the CDC's current stance is based on animal studies in which they were given extremely high rates.

I know this stuff because I work in envt'l and food health (MPH, PhD-in-process). Also, my fiance is a chemist/toxicologist researching this right now in a university/govt partnership. It's interesting to be at the forefront of this research. We'll likely see changes in CDC recommendations in the next few years. There are a few papers out about this in animal studies, but thanks to the Nazi Holocaust & Tuskeegee trials we don't really test things on people anymore. Working on doing other kinds of epidemiological studies though.

BPA is often replaced w/ BPF or BPE, (also byproducts of oil refinement processes - just like most plastics - which is why they were suggested as 'replacements' for BPA when studies about its danger started coming out). These replacement compounds, unfortunately, have also been linked to the same issues, and also carcinogenicity, DNA damage, and metabolic effects. The search goes on!

Here is a good citation w/ good review of other recent work: https://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/27/toxsci.kfu030.full.pdf

TL;DR - probably best to use glass/ceramic containers, or at the very least do not put hot food in plastic, not even "bpa-free" plastic.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I'm working in London I drink tap water that has been filtered by the kidneys of several other people already - delicious!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    What is RO?

We drink a combination of filtered and bottled water. The bottled water is a necessity because our cats are jerks and I have a thyroid med to take before I get up.

Wait...why not just have a re-fillable water bottle with a top?

Also, plastic water bottles are pretty awful for you.

Because when the cats inevitably knock the refillable water bottle off the night stand, it makes a much louder noise since they tend to be bigger and more bulky. It also doesn't help that I'm a pretty light sleeper.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Citation needed.

Sure, @FunkyTobias

BPA is Bisphenol A...it's easy enough to look up on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A) where you can read about it's estrogen-like activity, and why it's been banned from baby bottles. As it also says...current research is still in process (as always...science!!), and that's what I find most interesting.

So, BPA is tricky because it affects the endocrine system (as in it affects your estrogen and androgen receptors: it can mess with your reproductive system, among other things). Also, recent studies show that the dose-response relationship of BPA is entirely against common sense: high doses don't affect health, but low doses do. Unfortunately, the CDC's current stance is based on animal studies in which they were given extremely high rates.

I know this stuff because I work in envt'l and food health (MPH, PhD-in-process). Also, my fiance is a chemist/toxicologist researching this right now in a university/govt partnership. It's interesting to be at the forefront of this research. We'll likely see changes in CDC recommendations in the next few years. There are a few papers out about this in animal studies, but thanks to the Nazi Holocaust & Tuskeegee trials we don't really test things on people anymore. Working on doing other kinds of epidemiological studies though.

BPA is often replaced w/ BPF or BPE, (also byproducts of oil refinement processes - just like most plastics - which is why they were suggested as 'replacements' for BPA when studies about its danger started coming out). These replacement compounds, unfortunately, have also been linked to the same issues, and also carcinogenicity, DNA damage, and metabolic effects. The search goes on!

Here is a good citation w/ good review of other recent work: https://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/27/toxsci.kfu030.full.pdf

TL;DR - probably best to use glass/ceramic containers, or at the very least do not put hot food in plastic, not even "bpa-free" plastic.

Re: bold.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of statistics could tell you that you're dealing with a statistical artifact, not a real result.

And I find it hilarious that you are more worried about the trivial risk of plastic than the very real risk of contaminated water.
  • Mapalicious
    edited February 2016
    Options

Citation needed.

Sure, @FunkyTobias

Re: bold.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of statistics could tell you that you're dealing with a statistical artifact, not a real result.

And I find it hilarious that you are more worried about the trivial risk of plastic than the very real risk of contaminated water.

No worries, mate. I'll trust my ivy-league trained chemist over you at the moment. And changing to glass is no biggie for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying you "find it hilarious." Is that sarcasm? I don't believe I ever said anything about not being also concerned with "contaminated water" - what are the contaminants you care about, @FunkyTobias ?