Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Water only detox

I've read about water only detoxification (water fast)where people only consume water for a few days to flush out unwanted toxins, but should not over drink water. I know some people on some religions fast, but this is not religion related. Some websites say this is a real and simplest detox.. What do you think about water only detox?

Replies

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    What have you been eating/using that you need to flush horrible chemicals and toxins etc from your body?
    I don't believe in anything "detox"

It sounds ludicrous to me. I would never go a few days without eating. I never for a few hours (minus while I'm sleeping) without eating :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Nope, nope, nope
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The concept is idiotic
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Load of tosh.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The concept is idiotic

And that's actually being kind.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    It is a short term starvation plan that fails to do anything that the body isn't already doing.
  • Thank you all! I needed opinions before trying something idiotic. Thankfully I've never done it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've read about water only detoxification (water fast)where people only consume water for a few days to flush out unwanted toxins, but should not over drink water. I know some people on some religions fast, but this is not religion related. Some websites say this is a real and simplest detox.. What do you think about water only detox?

Assuming the water does not contain toxins I'm sure you would have less toxins than if you ate food, which does contain toxins (which a properly functioning gut will deal with just fine). But sooner or later you will need to eat food with all it's toxins, so not sure of the point. I do think that a one day water fast can be a good thing for many people but more than one day seems like punishment.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Ever try to eat and swallow a spoonful of cinnamon. Basically the same idiotic reasoning. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Thank you all! I needed opinions before trying something idiotic. Thankfully I've never done it.

Good for you OP. Being skeptical is a good thing.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Your liver is the only item you need for detoxing. Drink water, yes, but don't skip food. I try to go the clean natural food eating route to give my liver less work to do, less chemicals to process (I have liver issues). This detox craze is nothing more than another fad diet, like cabbage soup or intermittent fasting.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    ames105 wrote: »
    Your liver is the only item you need for detoxing. Drink water, yes, but don't skip food. I try to go the clean natural food eating route to give my liver less work to do, less chemicals to process (I have liver issues). This detox craze is nothing more than another fad diet, like cabbage soup or intermittent fasting.

Unfortunately, detoxing isn't a current craze; it tends to pop up a lot. >< As long as there are marketers able to sell the idea, it won't die. All we can do is educate people about it and let them make an informed decision.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Just no
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Detoxes are a scam and do nothing beneficial.

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    what food are we allowed to eat with this detox?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I believe in detoxing. Your probably right on track-I have only been able to do 1 25 hour stretch and I drink Fiji artesian-where I live water is *kitten* they put toxic chlorine in it and there are toxic chemicals present. Good luck add me I might join you if you do 5 days

Fabulous @DancingDarl I've been waiting for someone who believes in this to come along and explain the following

What exactly you are detoxing from your body? Can you name the most troublesome toxins and their effects on the body?

What is the method by which these said toxins are removed from the body?

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    what food are we allowed to eat with this detox?

Ice.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Detoxes are a scam and do nothing beneficial.

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

It's the opposite of a scam. If you go on a detox, you save money because you're not buying food. :D

Edit: ok, you might buy lemons if you go on a lemon water detox. Maybe this was a scam by the Lemon Farmer's Union?
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    I'm glad I looked this up before I did anything. I'd heard a group of girls talking about it in school, after never having heard it before, and did a full internet scan for the thing finding much the same things as many of you have said: the body detoxes itself, but still eat and drink as healthfully as possible.