_Waffle_ wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    litsy3 wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I remember reading an article years ago about how real runners only wear shorts, no matter how cold it is outside. This is the first time I've ever heard of the light stopping controversy.

I always stop at lights. I sometimes don't wear shorts. I'm half a real runner I suppose.

Do capris come close to shorts in the winter? I'd like to know where I stand with the real runners? I think I am now having an identity crisis at the moment.. hep me

We just don't stop for lights here and we run from the police.. We're runners for heaven sakes.

That's a very good question. Can one be 3/4 of a real runner?

Sorry. I'm afraid capris are worse. Either it's cold enough for full-length tights or it isn't. I don't make the rules. :(

Please post a link to this rule... What country is this as well?

And how about being short enough that the capris are full length? Post rule..

http://laurenmessiah.com/2015/06/why-you-should-never-wear-capri-pants/

Thank god I am NOT trying to make a fashion statement. I am so scared of the freaking fashion police!! eeeeewwwwwwww!

Fashion Police? Pffftttt! Run in place at a red light and the Running Police will get you.

I already said that we don't stop for red lights..
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article years ago about how real runners only wear shorts, no matter how cold it is outside. This is the first time I've ever heard of the light stopping controversy.

I always stop at lights. I sometimes don't wear shorts. I'm half a real runner I suppose.

Do capris come close to shorts in the winter? I'd like to know where I stand with the real runners? I think I am now having an identity crisis at the moment.. hep me

We just don't stop for lights here and we run from the police.. We're runners for heaven sakes.

Sorry. I'm afraid capris are worse. Either it's cold enough for full-length tights or it isn't. I don't make the rules. :(

:'( and all this time, I thought I was a real runner.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I just run through the red lights. Nothing gets your HR up like a game of Frogger!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

So where do you stand on skorts?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Just. NO.

I bet my refusal to wear anything related to skirts/dresses makes me an unfeminine fake runner. :'(
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Once I get them off of her, I'll stand on them anyway I please! ;)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I don't stop, I play frogger.

Do what you do.

Lol - I do the same thing :)

Actually, I try to time my pace with the light. So I might start slowing down or speeding up to make the light. I don't necessarily wait for a green light and will go as long as the traffic is clear enough to make it across. If I must stop, I stop. I don't jog in place cause it makes me think of Sheldon on the big bang theory when he decides to be healthy and exercise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Next people will start bad mouthing......

bicyv492uhve.jpg

OMG what the feck are them things????
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Next people will start bad mouthing......

bicyv492uhve.jpg

OMG what the feck are them things????

A way to keep podiatrists busy.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    OP it's because once the light turns green, you hop back in your car, start it and take off people get upset at this
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Sometimes I have to jog at red lights because if I allow myself to stop it's harder to get my lazy backside moving again.
    This it for me. If I am at mile 8, and I stop, will I be able to keep my momentum going for mile 13?

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Anyway - why is it so frowned upon??

Because it's pretty dang 'ghey'! B):D

Do you see people walking in place, or a bicyclist doing a track stand and pedaling backwards while waiting for the light to change?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    The worst crossing for me is 2 lanes each way, and invariably the lane closest to me will stop for me and wave me across, without considering what the next lane is doing - which isn't stopping!

Or when one car stops but you see a car quickly approaching them from behind showing no signs of stopping so you're reluctant to step into the path of the impending collision.

Been there, done that too late. I don't recommend it.

I always thought "real" runners bounced at red lights. I'm so confused. In my book, red lights are a legit reason to stop. I curse at the green lights, I need a break.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with heart rate. Running elevates the heart rate. Some people don't realize that resting at a light for a few seconds isn't enough to lower the heart rate noticeably, so they jog in place to maintain it. I only have a couple routes that takes me through lights so it is mostly a non-issue. I choose my routes specifically to have no lights. But when I come to one, I rest.

The reason I hate lights has to do with GPS issues. When I'm stopped at a light, my GPS calculates that into my pace, making it appear much slower than it actually is. And coming to a light while doing fartleks can mess up a whole running session.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options

The reason I hate lights has to do with GPS issues. When I'm stopped at a light, my GPS calculates that into my pace, making it appear much slower than it actually is. And coming to a light while doing fartleks can mess up a whole running session.

My GPS lets me stop it at lights. :p
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

What program do you use? I've been using MiCoach for years and it doesn't have that build in. Lately I've been using my Garmin that I can stop manually, but my routes are so ingrained I don't see a need to change them.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those obnoxious people who bounces around between tracks in bodyattack classes, so of course I can't keep still at lights. I don't jog in place though, I just tend to bounce or pace in circles or something. Once I get my momentum going I don't like stopping...
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know. Me too. Sorry. I was so confused by all of the one million threads saying 'can I call myself a real runner?' (why wouldn't you? why does it matter what you call yourself?) that I wrote a secret giant rulebook because it seemed like 'do you do running or not?' wasn't enough for most people. I actually wore capris the other day so have had to disqualify myself. :/
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

What program do you use? I've been using MiCoach for years and it doesn't have that build in. Lately I've been using my Garmin that I can stop manually, but my routes are so ingrained I don't see a need to change them.

Depending on the Garmin model, it should have an 'autopause' feature you can turn on, that will automatically stop when you stop.

Not sure if real runners use autopause or not though, I'll have to get a ruling from the judge.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'm one of those obnoxious people who bounces around between tracks in bodyattack classes, so of course I can't keep still at lights. I don't jog in place though, I just tend to bounce or pace in circles or something. Once I get my momentum going I don't like stopping...

and here i thought i was the only weirdo who paced in circles