How to stop looking so far into the future?

Options
So, i have A LOT of weight to lose. I started on December 29th at 435 pounds. On February 18th, i weighed in at 408 pounds. 27 pounds shed so far, but i have 258 more pounds to go. I get discouraged thinking about how long that it will take for me to reach my goal weight of 150 pounds. It's happened so many times before, i will get excited about a diet and think about how long i have left to go, and quit. I really want this time to be different. Any advice on how?

Replies

• Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, one pound at a time. It won't happen overnight. Don't put yourself under so much pressure.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Mini goals were important to me losing 60+ pounds, and will be really important when your goal is that large.

You're only 9 pounds from the 300s! That's exceptional! I rewarded myself at every ten pounds with something--getting bigger as I got closer to goal weight. My next nine, I'll be at my goal, and I'll get a new tattoo.

Figure out rewards and goals that work for you. At as much as you have to lose, 20 might be more doable, or you could do 20 until you're in the 200s, and then every ten. What works for you is what's important.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me it was a matter of how far along I could have been had I stuck with it instead of stopping and starting. I don't think there is any advice anyone is going to give you that is going to work better than the realization that you just have to do it or you will regret it. Maybe thinking of it as you'll never regret getting up every day and working out and eating right but you always know you'll regret laying on the couch binging on pizza all day. Also things get so much easier when you start seeing the results in your body, physical progress is the best form of motivation.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Shift your focus. Try making a short term fitness goal. Something like squatting XX lbs and then when you can do that, aim for more.

Goals I made to take the focus away from my weight:
    - Log everything I ate
    - (once I got a food scale) weigh all meals prepared at home including prepackaged single serve foods
    - walk 0.5 mile without needing to stop for a break (yes I was really out of shape when I started...not even making it 0.25 of a mile without a break)....that then evolved to 0.75 of a mile to 1 mile to 1.5 miles to 2 miles and eventually to 7 miles
    - once I achieved my walking goals, I switched to running a 5k and started using a Couch to 5 k app (I personally like the Zombies,Run!5k Training app)
    - (once I started using a Fitbit) get 5k steps a day. Once that was normal, I increased it to 6k then to 7k to where it's currently set at 12k (still working to make this goal a normal thing for me before I increase it again).
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You don't have 258 pounds left to go... you have 25... then 25 more... then 25 more. Also, agree with the above, you HAVE to have a non scale goal whether it be a measurement, fitness goal, new personal best weight, or like me.. my first? Do a damn pull up! I felt like the king of the world that day when I could do a single unassisted pull up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome start, way to get it! You're not on a diet, you're changing your lifestyle. You just get up each day and keep getting it.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Shift your focus. Try making a short term fitness goal. Something like squatting XX lbs and then when you can do that, aim for more.

- Log everything I ate
    - (once I got a food scale) weigh all meals prepared at home including prepackaged single serve foods
    - walk 0.5 mile without needing to stop for a break (yes I was really out of shape when I started...not even making it 0.25 of a mile without a break)....that then evolved to 0.75 of a mile to 1 mile to 1.5 miles to 2 miles and eventually to 7 miles
    - once I achieved my walking goals, I switched to running a 5k and started using a Couch to 5 k app (I personally like the Zombies,Run!5k Training app)
    - (once I started using a Fitbit) get 5k steps a day. Once that was normal, I increased it to 6k then to 7k to where it's currently set at 12k (still working to make this goal a normal thing for me before I increase it again).

This really mimics the goals I continually set for myself. I've found it has really helped to motivate me in making my lifestyle changes stick. I've also shifted my thinking to remembering that I am trying to live healthier, i.e. making a lifestyle change, instead of concentrating on the fact that I'm on a "diet" so I can lose weight. I intend for my weight loss to be permanent, and that I will keep up the healthy habits I've developed, such as walking or running every evening, almost without fail, and keeping my portions in check.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I started with 150 to lose and that was completely overwhelming. My trainer made clear from day1 that we were not gonna discuss the long term. Everything is mini goals, pound by pound. We weigh, take progress pics, measure, plus all the fitness progress. When one area isn't going so well another is. Always something positive to focus on. It's been 20 months and I have less than 20 lbs to go. Even now I can't think too much about when I will reach it time wise because it might take longer than I hope.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, don't look at the big picture, set small achievable goals. Take each day, each pound, each step as it comes. They all add up. Losing slowly lets the body & the mind adjust. You are doing great. It's not easy and at times it is discouraging, but don't think of this as a diet...it is a lifestyle change.

Check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The time is going to go by no matter how much you weigh. I've been at this for just about 2 yrs. I've come to the realization that this is a lifetime change. It's not .... so many days, months, etc. until I weigh a certain weight. It's my life everyday. Each day is a new chance to eat healthy and find time for activity, because TODAY is the day I'm living for. Good job on your progress so far. Keep at it...one day at a time.
  • curvybarbiie
    curvybarbiie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe set the goals into smaller ones? Instead of having 1 big goal to work towards, break them down. I have 35kg to lose (roughly 77lb) but to reach my first goal I need to lose 11kg. Also once I reach each small goal I have set I will be rewarding myself with a new tattoo or new outfit :) Also it helps to have friends on your list who aer also in the same boat so you can cheer each other on. I've sent you a friend request by the way :) x
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said. Start with smaller benchmark goals and work your way towards where you want to be. Don't make every goal about weight, but more about fitness and nutrition, and reward yourself for each min-goal you reach!
    You can do this. We're all here to help and support you. :)
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options

- Log everything I ate

This.

It's not easy not to think about the future and all that. But target behavioral changes or performance goals that keep you on track to your larger goal of losing weight, rather than weight changes. For me, it takes constant reminding...you can do it.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have said it but short term goals are key to not getting discouraged. Say, shoot for 30 pounds and you'll reward yourself with something non food related, like good seats to a sporting event, shopping spree, massage, whatever people like... the long term focus is hard but gets easier the closer you get.
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The time is going to go by no matter how much you weigh. I've been at this for just about 2 yrs. I've come to the realization that this is a lifetime change. It's not .... so many days, months, etc. until I weigh a certain weight. It's my life everyday. Each day is a new chance to eat healthy and find time for activity, because TODAY is the day I'm living for. Good job on your progress so far. Keep at it...one day at a time.

Yep.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice about taking things 1 day at a time but the fact that you have a large amount to lose works in your favour time wise {IMHO}

It's only taken you 7 weeks to lose 27lbs, so at the moment we're looking at 30lbs loss every 2 months. In six months you could lose another 90lbs + the 27lbs already lost = -117lbs, taking your weight down to 328lbs - almost half way to goal!!

As you lose weight your rate of loss will lessen but even so it is possible to achieve your goal of 150lbs in the same amount of time it takes for people who have much less to lose.

It's taken me six months to lose what you have lost in 7 weeks. Keep going, and good luck :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would also recommend to focus on behavior goals instead of just weight goals; if you do the right things, the weight WILL come off - get some structure to your eating, and get moving, if you can. You also need to work on your mindset. If you want to keep the weight off, and I think you do, you have to be mindful of your behavior every day for the rest of your life. That can seem daunting. But this doesn't mean a life of deprivation. It's about paying attention to yourself, and giving yourself what you need, not more, but not less, either. Don't follow some diet (an eating plan made by someone else that cuts out foods or consists of bizarre rules). Eat food you like in appropriate portions, several times a day. Enjoy your food. Try new foods from time to time, and if you like them, incorporate them in your diet (the way you eat) Do things with your body that makes you feel good. It can be walking or swimming in the beginning; when you become lighter, you can discover new ways to move and get stronger.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of MFP for over three years. I didn't have as much weight to lose as you do, but the process is the same. All that matters is you start.

You already know what to do. Everyone's ideas are great, but the only thing that will work is if you embrace what you already know about yourself - think about what in the past you have done that you were successful at and apply that to this.

Every time you fail, you are one step closer to success. Failure is a good experience to have because it shows you what not to do the next time. No one great, ever became that way without failing often.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Awesome start, way to get it! You're not on a diet, you're changing your lifestyle. You just get up each day and keep getting it.
    This!! Until you understand that this is a lifetime journey that there is no end to living your life in a different manner, it will be difficult. The only time it will be different is that u commit to this life change all your life
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Set yourself mini goals, I found the idea of needing to lose 150lb+ just too much to deal with, so I've set myself a lot of smaller goals over the short and medium term. My main goal is to lose 50lb this year and then I have my 10% weight loss goal that gets updated when smashed (I read somewhere that there are huge health benefits to losing just 10%). Finally I have my monthly goals that aren't always weight based, last month was but this month I have a distance goal, attempting to walk 400km over the month.