You don't have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is pertinent to this discussion, but what about those women who can't give birth naturally because their pelvis is too narrow. Obviously these women have a smaller frame then the women who have no problems popping out babies.

Actually, what you are referring to is called Cephalopelvic Disproportion, and while it is common for doctors to over diagnose this in cases of "failure to progress" during childbirth, it's actually incredibly rare and usually accompanied by other abnormalities in her structure or anatomy. One such situation is when the pelvis fails to open to allow birth, which can be caused by diabetes and genetic factors. The pelvis has joints that loosen and open to allow the child to pass through, just as the baby's skull has the soft spot, to allow it to shrink down to fit.

"Cephalopelvic disproportion is rare. According to the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM), CPD occurs in 1 out of 250 pregnancies."

In addition to being a very over-used and misapplied excuse for "failure to progress, it's also near impossible to diagnose until DURING labor. Ultrasounds are only guesstimations of fetal weight and size.

http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/cephalopelvic-disproportion/

I'm a certified doula, was working my way toward midwife when oops, got married, had baby, stayed home with him:)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation @CoffeeNCardio .
    The reason I asked is because my daughter in law recently had her first baby via a C section and her doctor informed her that any future bubs will have to be delivered this way as her birth canal is too narrow.
    This was her simplistic way of trying to explain it to me.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Women with linebacker shoulders represent! I have a huge rib cage too. It was like that when I was 13 years old and weighed 104 pounds, and it didn't get any smaller as I aged. I always have to buy blazers a size up and have them tailored in. I always feel like God intended me to be six inches taller than I am and had to cram everything downward at the last minute.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    I have a large frame too. Big hands and feet are a simple sign!!

It's more complicated than that. You can have bigger hands/feet, but smaller pelvis or other skeletal parts.

At 5'5", I have giant paws, require a size 10 ring (usually have to buy men's), a big head (literally - 7.5 or bigger hat size - and maybe figuratively, too), good-sized feet (9.5 or so), and broad shoulders (nothing smaller than a large fits the shoulders).

Just fat? Mmm, not so much, I think: BMI 20.3, weight 122 pounds. I'm still wearing the size 6 jeans, but I think size 4 would fit (I can put both giant fists inside the 6 without strain). Just crazy thin? Not that, either, I'd say. Built like a boy: Broad shoulders, narrow-ish hips (35"), no booty by nature despite being fairly strong, no breasts (post-mastectomy, not that that's skeletal).

IMO, that's why the BMI ranges have to be so wide. You can mix a bunch of different skeletal details on any given human body, and that will influence what weight looks and feels best (along with muscularity, where fat is carried, and personal preference). Even then, BMI has outliers. "Big boned" can be an excuse for some overweight people, but isn't necessarily an excuse (i.e., an incorrect explanation) for variations in healthy weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sorry but tell me again how there is no such thing as a large frame.

Dave-bautista.jpg

Well hello!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's more complicated than that. You can have bigger hands/feet, but smaller pelvis or other skeletal parts.

At 5'5", I have giant paws, require a size 10 ring (usually have to buy men's), a big head (literally - 7.5 or bigger hat size - and maybe figuratively, too), good-sized feet (9.5 or so), and broad shoulders (nothing smaller than a large fits the shoulders).

Just fat? Mmm, not so much, I think: BMI 20.3, weight 122 pounds. I'm still wearing the size 6 jeans, but I think size 4 would fit (I can put both giant fists inside the 6 without strain). Just crazy thin? Not that, either, I'd say. Built like a boy: Broad shoulders, narrow-ish hips (35"), no booty by nature despite being fairly strong, no breasts (post-mastectomy, not that that's skeletal).

IMO, that's why the BMI ranges have to be so wide. You can mix a bunch of different skeletal details on any given human body, and that will influence what weight looks and feels best (along with muscularity, where fat is carried, and personal preference). Even then, BMI has outliers. "Big boned" can be an excuse for some overweight people, but isn't necessarily an excuse (i.e., an incorrect explanation) for variations in healthy weight.

For me, 122 is not fathomable. I'm also 5'5.

I think I was 140-145 in this pic (barely within healthy BMI). I didn't have a scale that day and some of it as dehydration. I also will never be a size 6 pant.
    2c01cc5b-00a7-4e0b-859f-535d892146ce_zpsee52b727.jpg

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sandera2 wrote: »
    I thought I was a big boned-woman before I lost weight. I felt solid, and thought I just had a little weight to lose. Now, after losing some weight, I realize I'm a much smaller woman than I thought, and need to keep losing. I lift weights, so I have a lot of muscle, but it was really kind of shocking to see the smaller person that was living under that hard fat.

Exactly. I am still shocked to see just how tiny I was at a respectable 60kg. I looked very different, very solid at 78kg. My shoulders are "broader" because of the extra fat on them. My back is "broader", everything about me is broader.

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Sandera2 wrote: »
    I thought I was a big boned-woman before I lost weight. I felt solid, and thought I just had a little weight to lose. Now, after losing some weight, I realize I'm a much smaller woman than I thought, and need to keep losing. I lift weights, so I have a lot of muscle, but it was really kind of shocking to see the smaller person that was living under that hard fat.

Exactly. I am still shocked to see just how tiny I was at a respectable 60kg. I looked very different, very solid at 78kg. My shoulders are "broader" because of the extra fat on them. My back is "broader", everything about me is broader.

What so just because you lost weight and it didn't show you have a big frame, that means it's the same for everyone!? I don't think so, honestly a thread full of posts and yet you're still right? Jeez
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Some of the responses here make my head hurt. Lemme go get some fresh air.

Of course women can have broad shoulders and larger bones. I am nearly 6' tall, over 200 pounds and built like an Amazon. Still, I wear smaller sizes than you do...so what is your excuse?

You are around 20cm taller than I am. Your shoulders are proportional to your height so yes, they're broader than mine. But are they broader than one would expect for a woman of your height? I doubt that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

For me, 122 is not fathomable. I'm also 5'5.

I think I was 140-145 in this pic (barely within healthy BMI). I didn't have a scale that day and some of it as dehydration. I also will never be a size 6 pant.
    2c01cc5b-00a7-4e0b-859f-535d892146ce_zpsee52b727.jpg

Yup. Very different. You look great at that weight, obviously. You're leaner and more muscular than I (and way younger - I'm 60), as well as having a more 'womanly' shape (even ignoring the no-breast thing in my case). I was quite fat at 140-145 still. Sorry I don't have a sensible photo to share.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Of course women can have broad shoulders and larger bones. I am nearly 6' tall, over 200 pounds and built like an Amazon. Still, I wear smaller sizes than you do...so what is your excuse?

You are around 20cm taller than I am. Your shoulders are proportional to your height so yes, they're broader than mine. But are they broader than one would expect for a woman of your height? I doubt that.

That's just such a weird thing to doubt about someone. Do you also doubt shoe sizes of folks at the same height? It's just a little bizarre.

Can't you look at images of thin famous people and tell when it comes to shoulders? They aren't exactly hidden, and when you can see the shoulder bones it should be pretty clear what's going on. That's if you can't trust science on the matter, lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Only one post so far made my head hurt.

I'll give you a clue: it was very *VERY* early in the thread.
    It was the very first post in the entire thread.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There you go OP: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
    Drs believe that bones come in different sizes.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    But different people are different? This is me 3 pounds away from 'overweight' for my height, BMI wise.
    OoGYPYr.jpg?2

My hip bones are jutting out because *drumroll please* I got wide hips. Some people ain't got wide hips and would, conceivably, not look so pokey at this weight/height.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't really mean to bring up this again but how big are those differences anyway?
    I mean, we constantly say "no your metabolism isn't high/low" here too, right? We know metabolisms vary between people obviously, what we mean is that it isn't that different between two people except for fringe cases of <5% of people.
    So, is there huge differences between frame sizes for people of the same size to be able to say stuff like "I'm build like an Amazonian" and stuff like that?
    I'd almost think that posture and muscle mass/definition is going to create bigger differences in perceived frame size than your actual frame size.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    linnellal wrote: »
    Remember the 80's when it was all the rage to wear shoulder pads in your jackets or blouses? I actually had to take mine out because they looked ridiculous my shoulders are so broad. And that was back before I gained weight and I was looking very good. I still had to buy clothing in larger sizes, 14 - 18 US, because my hips were so wide and my shoulders were so broad. Then we would take the jeans that I would buy home and alter the waistline a couple of inches so that they wouldn't fall down. Yes. I have a large frame. No I have not always needed to lose weight. But now I do. What's the big deal.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I had maybe one dress that had really thin shoulder pads that I kept in because it sagged a little funny without them.

For casual wear (tees, polos, sweats, etc) I always go to the mens department because they are cut a little broader in the shoulders and the sleeves tend to be longer.

When I first learned to sew, the first pattern adjustment I learned was how to lengthen sleeves. The second was how to adjust for broad shoulders. You have to cut the top of the armhole wider, but on the back you also need to cut the back wider from just below the bustline to accommodate the wider shoulder blades. From the mid-eighties on, I finally had clothing that actually fit and was comfortable.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Of course people have different frame sizes. They also are genetically predisposed to gain fat in different areas which determines their body shape.

Unfortunately, despite this, most people who claim that someone is just "big boned" are wrong.

146147.jpg
    bigboned1.jpg?w=536
    cfY7Bu9.jpg

People of a relative height may experience some variation in bone size, however, the human skeleton only accounts for about 10% total weight of a healthy (BMI) individual. So even if someone has a small frame vs a large frame of the same height, we're talking a weight difference of.. what? 10-15 pounds?

But let's not pretend that there is SUCH a wide variation. It is simply not the case.

Also, considering most people are referring to body shape (where we gain fat/soft tissue) let's also not confuse this as being "big boned". Most of our skeletons looks remarkably similar. And most of our bodies will look similar at low body fat percentages.

You would think with the way people are on here talking, that the difference is as big as human vs. gorilla or something. -_-

393px-Skelet_mens__gorilla_vooraanzicht.jpg

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't really mean to bring up this again but how big are those differences anyway?
    I mean, we constantly say "no your metabolism isn't high/low" here too, right? We know metabolisms vary between people obviously, what we mean is that it isn't that different between two people except for fringe cases of <5% of people.
    So, is there huge differences between frame sizes for people of the same size to be able to say stuff like "I'm build like an Amazonian" and stuff like that?
    I'd almost think that posture and muscle mass/definition is going to create bigger differences in perceived frame size than your actual frame size.

I think this is a valid comment but I don't think one can isolate frame size really

Because I have a larger frame and a specific body type I would look less than healthy if my weight or musculature dropped below a certain level ...I know this partly because I have an eating disordered sister with a similar body type but a very different look

At my height the BMI weight range spans 125 to 165lbs ...that's 40lbs made up with bones, muscles and fat

I think it may be different to metabolism
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    But different people are different? This is me 3 pounds away from 'overweight' for my height, BMI wise.
    OoGYPYr.jpg?2

My hip bones are jutting out because *drumroll please* I got wide hips. Some people ain't got wide hips and would, conceivably, not look so pokey at this weight/height.

Sorry, but your weight has to do with your muscle mass and where you gain body fat.

Why do you look that way at that height/weight/bmi? Hint: it has nothing to do with your bones.

Also, i don't see any "jutting". I see normal hips.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    linnellal wrote: »
    Remember the 80's when it was all the rage to wear shoulder pads in your jackets or blouses? I actually had to take mine out because they looked ridiculous my shoulders are so broad. And that was back before I gained weight and I was looking very good. I still had to buy clothing in larger sizes, 14 - 18 US, because my hips were so wide and my shoulders were so broad. Then we would take the jeans that I would buy home and alter the waistline a couple of inches so that they wouldn't fall down. Yes. I have a large frame. No I have not always needed to lose weight. But now I do. What's the big deal.

Oh God, shoulderpads - I cut them out too.