The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Easiest 10 km of my life today. Well it's the second time I ran that much in my life but once I did first time today it seemed like a cakewalk. I didn't even payed attention to time and by the end Strava told me I beat my old time by 7 minutes. Also I ran in the countryside today. Dogs. Lot's of dogs. Luckily the mad ones were locked away. Like those guys who all barked like I was a thief or something. Also a lot of old people that I don't think ever saw someone running like a madman across the whole village for no apparent reason

YaQyfp2.jpg

But those were nothing compared to these 2. Good luck they were behind steel bars

it3dkc0.jpg

Also I stopped counting dead animals. And birds.

......Date................Distance..................................................Alive animals
    February 22.................0
    February 16.............10 km...........tens of dogs, 2 mad wolves (see pic), 3 cats, 1 rooster and 4 hens

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ddmom0811, @kristinegift, @WhatMeRunning, and Orphia for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
    @Stoshew71 re: training plans blog post--

The only thing I disagree with is the 25-33% long run during marathon training. Very few people training for a first (or even second, and possibly third) can manage the kind of mileage in which a 20 mile long run would be just 33% of mileage. I'm only just hitting that kind of mileage and I'm on my 4th training cycle. I think that it is better to aim for 33% being those 15-16 milers, which is ~45 mile peak, which is more reasonable for the average marathoner who is training using an open access plan. Most are running too slow to afford the time in their week to run 60+ a week, so I think the 18 and 20 mile training runs are sort of the outliers for that rule and are an exemption. I'd also argue that the 3 hour mark can be stretched to 3:15 or 3:20, but definitely NOT past 3:30. If it is taking someone 3:30 to run 20, then 10 is taking 1:45, so they're used to more time on their feet anyhow. I know my 20 milers -- until last fall -- were always over 3 hours, usually in the 3:10-3:20 range, and I recovered just fine from those. However, my experience is not going to be the same as someone else's, and someone else may have a harder time recovering due to age, experience, etc.
    My only complaint about the 25-33% rule for long runs is that this can not work for people who do 2 long runs per week (a lot of distance runners do this). In that case your total long run mileage will be well above that, but perhaps the individual long runs will fit that percentage. Even if the individual long runs fit the 25-33% rule, there is probably little chance of achieving an 80/20 time split of effort. It would probably be wise to do only one workout run in that sort of week, or just have those double long run weeks as part of base building. Recall I'm still newish and have learned by feel, and continuing to learn by feel for the most part. So I have no legs to stand on to suggest that, but I suspect I could be right and my training is moving towards this now so I guess I will "Guinea Pig" up and see if it has merit.

yes, the long run can be a very touchy subject. And I admit that on my first try at the marathon in 2014, my long run mileage started creeping up way too high of a percentage which forced me to concentrate real hard at building up the weekly mileage. There were some late middle weeks where I blown this rule. I know I blown the 2 and a half hour and even 3 hour rule that Daniels and others suggest as I got towards the end of my very first marathon training. I also ran my long run way too fast many times trying to fit it in and not take all morning or all day.

This year was much better. I only went beyond 3 hours twice (when I did my 22 milers). I can try and answer this, but will instead leave a Jack Daniels video that touches very much on this. I expect people to disagree with this like I did my first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo

@WhatMeRunning When you say 2 long runs per week, do you mean a smaller midweek long run plus a bigger main long run on the weekend? Or are you talking about 2 same sized long runs during the week? In either case, I wouldn't add both together then take the percentage? Like if you add both of these long runs together and found that it made up 45% of your weekly mileage, then that is not what I am talking about. Take one of the long runs (preferbably the bigger one) and ask the question, does this make up more than 35% of my weekly mileage? If not, then you should be good. The idea is to spread weekly mileage accross the week and not dump too much of it on a single run.

BTW, I was very regularly running 3 10 milers during the week plus a long run on the weekend which tired me out very quick. Especially if hills were involved. I noticed once I broke up 1 or 2 of those 10 milers into 2 a-days, I was much more efficient. Like on Monday, I would have no problem running a 10 miler (especially after a Sunday complete rest). Then Tuesday got really tough to run a 10 miler and towards the end of my run my pace would drop off rather quickly. Same thing on my Thursday run. Now, I will run an 8 miler instead in the morning then finish up later in the day with a 4 miler. I can run the entire 8 miler at a very good pace the whole way through. I then have more energy to complete the 4 miler at a very good steady pace and have enough recovery the next day to do it again.

Now I still have to read Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 book to see exactly how he describes it, but here is my gut feel on it from reading other stuff and from my experience. The 80% deals with mostly aerobic paces and 20% with beyond that. So if you do your long run entirely at an easy pace, all those miles will still make up your 80%. The 20% applies to tempo or threshold workouts and faster like VO2max and neurmuscular workouts. A long run in of itself is a quality workout. So if you feel like 2 long runs during the week plus 1 good tempo workout is all you can handle, then that is 3 very good quality days in my opinion.

I am currently reading a book written by Arthur Lydiard (the father of base building and modern long distance training) and his method for base building was many weeks of 160 km's/week just under your maximum steady state along with easier supplementary running, such as jogging. << his words. While all of this is still within your aerobic capability, it is still not quite easy conversational pace either. Granted, he was writing this for the world's best but it is still a plan followed by many today.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Easiest 10 km of my life today. Well it's the second time I ran that much in my life but once I did first time today it seemed like a cakewalk. I didn't even payed attention to time and by the end Strava told me I beat my old time by 7 minutes. Also I ran in the countryside today. Dogs. Lot's of dogs. Luckily the mad ones were locked away. Like those guys who all barked like I was a thief or something. Also a lot of old people that I don't think ever saw someone running like a madman across the whole village for no apparent reason

But those were nothing compared to these 2. Good luck they were behind steel bars

Also I stopped counting dead animals. And birds.

......Date................Distance..................................................Alive animals
    February 22.................0
    February 16.............10 km...........tens of dogs, 2 mad wolves (see pic), 3 cats, 1 rooster and 4 hens

Aww to cute! I have a helluva time with math while running. My brain is like "Wholly F bomb, I'm gonna forget how to breath if you don't quit!"
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    In fact @WhatMeRunning I think your method of breaking a long run up into 2 long runs is probably a way I would suggest to a less experienced runner who couldn't complete a 20 miler in 3 hours. But here is the catch. Both individual long runs would have to be at least 90 minutes in length each & ran at an easy conversational pace. The purpose of the long run is to stimulate your body to switch over from mostly carb burning to mostly fat burning. It takes at least 90 minutes per long run to train your body to effectively instill this stimulation. Doing it twice a week is bonus. After running for 2-1/2 hours, Daniels and many others say you no longer are developing any pysiological stimulus and just causing body trauma that requires too much recovery time before your next workout. Many coaches however will argue that it's OK to go as long as 3 hours before this happens. You would have to play around with this. As @kristinegift argued, she saw no problems going for 3:15-3:20 and still felt fine by the time her next workout. But not everyone is this durable.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Haha yea if I run like in a race all I can think off is "breath, 1,2,3, 1,2,3, don't die now, left, right, please help"
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your son, so scary!! Went through that 3 times with my dad(all 3 his numbers went to the 1200's!!) , I can't imagine going through it with kids. Hope things get regulated quick and stay regulated! And your son gets back home soon.

Congrats on your half!
    I haven't dropped of the face of the planet...yet.

The half marathon went well. Even with walking through the water stations into short bathroom breaks my GPS said my time was 249 for 13 1/2 miles. I'm guessing my official time is a little over 245.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my trip short and rush home yesterday because my oldest son (19, and autistic) was rushed to the hospital with dka and the onset of type 1 diabetes. So here we are in the hospital and will be for a few days. :(

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 I am enjoying your animal count addition to your mileage tracking. And those dogs look way too cute to seem threatening.

@5BeautifulDays Awesome job on your half and so sorry about your son. I hope everything is OK.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I loved your description as a hot and wild romance! Totally fits lol. In my head I can run like I was before...still wasn't fast, but getting better with distance and feeling GREAT when finished. Right now I feel like an old clunky junker with my endurance severely tested at only a minutes worth of feet moving faster than a walk.

@7lenny7 I followed your advice yesterday with my lunch run. I can honestly say that while I didn't feel the euphoria that I did when running before the injury, I DID feel some of the *freedom* (don't know a better word) that I used to. I get enough of a taste to want to do it again immediately!

@Stoshew71 Thank you!
    @shanaber The video you posted was PERFECT for how I've been feeling when I try to run!!

The muscle injury is definitely talking to me today, but I realize that's just something I'm going to have to work thru. I'm never going to get back to the running I was doing if I don't get out and start running again. I didn't start with the endurance and stamina, I had to build it. I have to accept that a re-build is part of the process of recovery from injury. Knowing that I'm almost back at ground zero is where I've had such a hard time getting myself back out there and feeling so clumsy and awkward because I've regained a significant amount of weight. But, to get where I want to be, I have to start somewhere and if that means I start at the beginning, then so be it. Yesterday I ran, today I walk, tomorrow I run again. Yay!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - Oh no! That sounds pretty bad. I hope there was no major damage to any organs or anything! That is scary, particularly with the autism angle. I know my 15 year old worries me for being able to be on top of his needs later due to how he pretty much does not notice anything about signals from his body. No pain, etc. Prayers for the best!!

@Elise4270 - Thanks, but I assure you there is nothing superhuman or at all special about me. :smile: I had practically no strength or experience at running. If I have anything above average, it might be willpower, but I even doubt my willpower is really all that much more than most people. Part of it might have just been luck.

@AdrianChr92 - I have no idea how you braved your way past those two fearsome beasts!! :lol:

@Stoshew71 - Yes, I was really inferring a shorter mid-week long run in addition to the longest run over the weekend. Thanks for the clarification about each being within the 25-33% range, that makes sense.

I was trying to formulate a sample week to illustrate where I felt it would be shown to be basically impossible to do an 80/20 split of running time between easy pace and workout pace, but I think I wound up only showing it IS possible (provided you truly get to that base mileage and can maintain it).

Here was my example. I was taking it a step further and doing 3 long runs per week based on what a number of ultra training plans call for with some "back to back" long runs plus the mid-week lng run. These would not be your regular weeks as these back to back long runs are not something you shoudl do with regularity, but should do (around peak mileage) to help train your body and mind for running on tired legs.

Last year when I hit my peak mileage of 52 miles/week I did two consecutive weeks of a 16 mile long run on Saturday followed by a 12 miler on Sunday, and a midweek 12 mile long run. Using these run distances, my current paces (projected against those distances) plus the 52 mile/week total distance here is how it would break down.

16 mile long run in 3:05
    12 mile long runs in 2:20

Assuming these 3 runs were the only easy paced runs for the week that is 7:45 total in easy paced runs. An 80/20 time split would mean there should be 1:56 total time doing workout paced activity. Splitting that up in two workouts seems reasonable (58 minutes each) and to hit the 52 miles/week distance those workouts would need to be 6 miles each, which is definitely reasonable at my average paces on workout runs, and 56 minutes of workout runs is certainly realistic. So in the end I could see a 5 day running schedule with these 3 long runs and 2 workouts as within some sort of possibility.

Except...

I would not have had enough recovery then (or now) to fit that in. But that is just because I did not condition myself to that mileage then, and am not conditioned to it now. What would be required might be a plan like:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 58 minute Workout run
    Wednesday: 2:20 Long Run
    Thursday: 58 minute Workout
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3:05 Long Run
    Sunday: 2:20 Long Run

I have to admit, that looks a bit brutal, and maybe it could be adjusted to something a bit more sensible, but I'm not sure there is any room for it not being brutal in those weeks. :smile: But since these are not supposed to be "regular weeks" anyway, I'm probably wasting time wondering about it anyway.

What I am taking away from this is...based on my current schedule and goals, I should probably switch to just base building and come back to the workouts later. Especially since I have planned to have mid-week long runs in the summer, and some occasional back-to-back long run weeks on top of that.

This cat has way too many skins, I can't decide which way to go and feel like I am always changing m mind! :lol:
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 You're a little jealous of me?! haha I'm jealous of you and all the others that are on track for 100+ miles (and you're fighting a bad knee). Thanks for making me feel good though.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive words on before and after pix. That represented about 75 pounds of weight loss. Overall, I lost 100. Had the flu yesterday, managed 3 slow miles. Feeling better today, will try some more.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @JohnONE29 - I can't see your photos, but it sounds like you have made amazing progress! Keep it up, it is inspiring! I still have a lot of weight to lose so I love seeing success stories like that.:smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    This cat has way too many skins, I can't decide which way to go and feel like I am always changing m mind! :lol:

I feel your pain. I am constantly re-evaluating and second guessing myself.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    I had to pass on the speedwork I had planned for today due to some muscle in my side/core that was feeling stiff and sore overnight and this morning. So I did another 5 easy paced miles instead. I was a bit bothered by that pain, not knowing what brought it on until I hit about the second mile on my run. That is when I remembered I was carrying around a squirming 4 year old for a couple hours yesterday on that very side. By the end of the run I had forgotten about that sore muscle and when I hit the last mile decided it would be brilliant to add some strides in. On the first stride that muscle reminded me it was still there, so I stopped doing the strides.:smile: Hopefully this soreness goes away. I am thinking it is more of a DOMS pain than a strained muscle.

2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles
    2/8 - 9.5 miles
    2/10 - 4.5 miles
    2/12 - 5.3 miles
    2/14 - 9.2 miles
    2/15 - 4 miles
    2/16 - 4 miles
    2/17 - 4.3 miles
    2/18 - 4 miles
    2/20 - 10 miles
    2/21 - 4 miles
    2/22 - 5 miles
    2/23 - 5 miles

92.2 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City half marathon Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @elise4270 You're a little jealous of me?! haha I'm jealous of you and all the others that are on track for 100+ miles (and you're fighting a bad knee). Thanks for making me feel good though.

Thanks. I'm slogging a 10 pace. Would trade ya some miles for some minutes!

The knee is coming along. I think @7lenny7 (?) suggested through March, he maybe right.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    02/09 3.25miles - found it hard after the break
    02/10 3.25miles - same route, much better 30 sec faster
    02/15 3 miles
    02/23 3.5 miles

13 done of 30miles

Not having a great month running wise, I'm going to try and get as many runs in before end of month and just maybe will hit target.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (km)
    2/1- 3.5 (3.5/30)
    2/2- 3.63 (7.13/30)
    2/3- 1.36 (8.49/30)
    2/4- 1.34 (9.83/30)
    2/5- Rest following surgery
    2/6- Rest following surgery
    2/7- Rest following surgery
    2/8- Extra rest day
    2/9- Still resting...
    2/10- 1.29 (11.12/30)
    2/11- Life
    2/12- Life
    2/13- Life
    2/14- 2.16 (13.28/30)
    2/15- 2.21 (15.49/30)
    2/16- 2.59 (18.08/30)
    2/17- 1.22 (19.30/30)
    2/18- Life
    2/19- 2.54 (21.84/30)
    2/20- Girls Weekend
    2/21- Girls Weekend
    2/22- Recovery from girls weekend
    2/23-
    2/24-
    2/25-
    2/26-
    2/27-
    2/28-
    2/29-

Races
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Feb: 8.61 miles
    02-Feb: 4.26 miles
    03-Feb: 3.11 miles
    04-Feb: 4.32 miles
    05-Feb: 4.75 miles
    06-Feb: 9.28 miles
    07-Feb: <Life Day>
    08-Feb: 4.78 miles
    09-Feb: 7.48 miles
    10-Feb: 3.47 miles
    11-Feb: 0.00 miles plus 2.12 miles (walk)
    12-Feb: 4.69 miles
    13-Feb: 7.62 miles
    14-Feb: <Life Day>
    15-Feb: 6.74 miles
    16-Feb: 7.52 miles
    17-Feb: 3.29 miles
    18-Feb: 8.80 miles
    19-Feb: 4.40 miles
    20-Feb: 9.91 miles
    21-Feb: <Life Day>
    22-Feb: 7.64 miles
    23-Feb: 4.44 miles
    24-Feb: <Surgery>
    25-Feb: <Recuperation>
    26-Feb: <Recuperation>
    27-Feb: <Recuperation>
    28-Feb: <Life Day>
    29-Feb: <Maybe a little walky-poo?>

Nearly there for the month - boosted the last week or so in order to get it in. Not sure what March is gonna hold - I've not only got this challenge, but my local run club has a year-long challenge, and I need to average 120+/month to make that one, so if I lose a significant part of March to recuperation...

Weather permitting (the rain at home is supposed to end after supper), I'll get that last 2.75 tonight.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    2/1.....................REST..................0.00
    2/2.......................6.50...................6.50
    2/3.......................5.00.................11.50
    2/4.......................5.00.................16.50
    2/5.....................REST.................16.50
    2/6...................... 7.50..................24.00
    2/7.....................20.00..................44.00
    2/8.....................REST.................44.00
    2/9.......................6.25..................50.25
    2/10.....................4.00..................54.25
    2/11...................REST.................54.25
    2/12.....................6.00..................60.25
    2/13.....................4.75..................65.00
    2/14...................12.75..................77.75
    2/15...................REST.................77.75
    2/16.....................5.25..................83.00
    2/17...................REST.................83.00
    2/18...................REST.................83.00
    2/19.....................4.25..................87.25
    2/20.....................3.00..................90.25
    2/21...................REST.................90.25
    2/22...................REST.................90.25
    2/23.....................8.00..................98.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile Night Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100 Mile (Pine Mountain, KY)

• Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    chipping away at my month.

exercise.png