I swear my metabolism knew when I turned 40 and shut down.

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I was much more successful losing in my 40s than I was when I was younger.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    steph124ny wrote: »
    I'm on my feet a lot at work and I lift heavy things (I'm a funeral director....LOL!!!) and I started back on the workout path last summer.I went from total couch potato to being able to complete 5 ks without too much whining. I'm up to about a 10 minute mile which I'm proud of. Bu my diet just sucks and I'm working on it.

Veggies.....protein....healthy fats.....track fiber....not too much of carbs/sugar. I went to the store tonight so I can practice what I preach! Don't look at my wonky diary today lol
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Try lifting weights in order to maintain muscle mass.

I'm 44 and the only memo I got was from my grandmother... Use it or lose it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Age brings stubbornness and hopefully an ability to educate oneself

You've lost muscle mass from inactivity and gained weight from overindulgence

Reverse both and you'll be fine ...your metabolism is not that much lower and most of it is correctable
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My metabolism didn't get the memo either. I make sure I retain a good set of muscles, which both help prevent osteoporosis and give me a higher BMI than I probably had at 35.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and even my metabolism didn't get the memo - 34lbs down in 6 months.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My metabolism didn't get the memo either (and I'm post-hysterectomy). 44 in a few weeks and 35lbs down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I crossed 40 with a six pack. Yes, our metabolisms do slow down as we age, but not nearly as much as we would all like to believe. The vast majority of the weight gain is caused by too much food and not enough exercise. That can be fixed.

^^ +1 ( minus the 6 pack, but perhaps a 4 pack :smiley: )
  • Theresad2707
    Theresad2707 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So true, if I were to eat n drink like I used to I would be huge, now I just need to smell it to gain weight, at 43 I've decided enough is enough and gonna push through the flab and get stuck in to healthy eating and exercise
  • Lee_Fitnesspla
    Lee_Fitnesspla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 - it does not get any easier, trust me.

Stay diligent and take CHARGE! It's your body and you only get one of them.

Yikes! You mean it gets worse?

I was complaining to my cardiologist (she happens to be a good friend) about my metabolism shutting down almost overnight at 40. She said "wait to you get to be my age.....you'll eat a salad and gain weight". I told her she was quite the ray of sunshine :/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @simone0001 build muscle as that really revs up the metabolism :smile: there is hope for us, we just have to work a bit harder, but its worth the effort :smile:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    simone0001 wrote: »
    Wait until you're 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 - it does not get any easier, trust me.

Stay diligent and take CHARGE! It's your body and you only get one of them.

Yikes! You mean it gets worse?

I was complaining to my cardiologist (she happens to be a good friend) about my metabolism shutting down almost overnight at 40. She said "wait to you get to be my age.....you'll eat a salad and gain weight". I told her she was quite the ray of sunshine :/

Yes as you get older your metabolism requires less energy. I figure I needed about 2500 calories in my early 20s, now I'm around 1900-2000.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think the OP an others on this post didn't get the memo:

To: All
    Subject: Metabolism and aging.

Although its true if you plot metabolism and age, you will see a decrease in metabolism associated with an increase in age, this is a correlation, not a causation--at least not directly. As we age, we lose lean body mass (LBM) for various reasons, generally decreased activity. The loss of LBM is the reason for the decrease in metabolism in the general population.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is hard at any age. It was hard for me in my twenties. I don't think that metabolism slows very much until you're much older, like 70. You can lose a lot of muscle mass in a few decades if your job and lifestyle are sedentary, and, barring physical disability, loss of muscle mass is entirely within your control. One thing that I did in my twenties, thirties, and forties, that is still paying off, is regular strength training.
  • Lee_Fitnesspla
    Lee_Fitnesspla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @simone0001 build muscle as that really revs up the metabolism :smile: there is hope for us, we just have to work a bit harder, but its worth the effort :smile:

I hear ya and completely agree. I have always enjoyed working out and the gym environment but always used it as my 'mental zen place'. Now I find I have to be more goal oriented. :)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Some of the responses here are not taking into consideration the hormone changes that go on in a woman's body during the pause. Its not just a slowing of metabolism. The lowering of estrogen and progesterone in the body make it more difficult to lose weight. Not to mention some of the lovely other side effects that increase stress, anxiety, cause sleep problems, nausea, constipation, etc. Many women don't even realize what is happening and all of the issues it can cause.

That being said, it is STILL possible to lose weight. Exercise is important (maintaining or increasing your muscle mass) and burning off calories. Proper nutrition is important as well. Losing the weight can help alleviate many of the symptoms of the pause. I'm down 70lbs and still going. I had to totally revamp the way I eat but its been worth it. It can be done!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    That being said, it is STILL possible to lose weight. Exercise is important (maintaining or increasing your muscle mass) and burning off calories. Proper nutrition is important as well. Losing the weight can help alleviate many of the symptoms of the pause. I'm down 70lbs and still going. I had to totally revamp the way I eat but its been worth it. It can be done!

Good for you! That is the thing, yeah, aging is a *kitten*, but what are you gonna do? Just quit?

IIRC mortality charts peak in middle age then level off for quite a bit until over 75 or so. So I figure if you can roll into 55 in good health odds are good of making it to 75.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. And dudes...you wouldn't weigh in on a thread about someone's menstrual cycle would you? This is one of those things that women have to deal with...it's different for you guys. But it's possible to be successful. Build muscle, eat lots of protein, eat less carbs. The usual stuff.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Uh, the OP said nothing about lady stuff. That came later.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I think the OP and others on this post didn't get the memo:

To: All
    Subject: Metabolism and aging.

Although its true if you plot metabolism and age, you will see a decrease in metabolism associated with an increase in age, this is a correlation, not a causation--at least not directly. As we age, we lose lean body mass (LBM) for various reasons, generally decreased activity. The loss of LBM is the reason for the decrease in metabolism in the general population.

You got it!

I was much stronger in 2004 when I was a full time yoga teacher with an active lifestyle. I've had deskjobs since 2005. It's not the passage of time that's the problem, but the difference in activity.