Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why do people even do Paleo? It looks ridiculous

People do lots of things that are ridiculous
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Honestly Clean eating is getting so convoluted why can't people stop breaking into the hype of all these dad diets and realize that it is good if you were going to want to eat like that already. But generally you do not need to conform to rules to lose weight.

Except for the one rule that rules them all.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why do people even do Paleo? It looks ridiculous

People do lots of things that are ridiculous

Like drink ACV becau... oh, wrong thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Honestly Clean eating is getting so convoluted why can't people stop breaking into the hype of all these dad diets

Dad diets are so lame. Tell silly jokes and jog to Wilco.

Hey, I jog to Wilco all the time! :'(
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tzsewctdltbb.png

Okay, so we have no chemicals, no processing, mostly plant-based and whole foods all combining into a definition of clean eating in this recent post. The wanting clean eating friends for sharing recipes I understand, but I'm not sure what workouts have to do with eating style. Apparently clean eaters have their own special exercise regimen too? (And yes, I do know that Paleo and Crossfit often cross paths.)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Honestly Clean eating is getting so convoluted why can't people stop breaking into the hype of all these dad diets and realize that it is good if you were going to want to eat like that already. But generally you do not need to conform to rules to lose weight.

Except for the one rule that rules them all.

60371025.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's about the silliest word ever for food. We all know what healthy is. Just do it.

"Healthy" is no less a vague, subjective term. There are people who believe that "healthy" means eating nothing but plant-based foods. There are others who believe that "healthy" is coffee with a huge dollop of butter in it for breakfast and a diet consisting of 80-90% fat. Some seem to believe that if you even go near anything with HFCS, GMO or sugar, you'll immediately bloat up with huge tumors. There's just as much woo and derp about "healthy" as there is about "clean". The thing they have in common is that context and dosage are usually not taken into consideration.

Proof is in the pudding then isn't it. If you are healthy people can see it and tell the difference. It is harder to spot in profile pictures online as everyone on here seems to be quite private...which is fair enough.

07e514e049c2698d6d87ac35be661a40.jpg
    Mmmmmm, buttery, meaty pudding.
  • senecarr
    Options
    There was a Facebook thing going round here with Ash Bines- clean eating plan. Not particularly useful as everyone knows vegetables and fruit legumes nuts are good for you. I honestly think the health and fitness industry enjoys making it confusing and seem more complicated than it actually is.

Balanced eating would be a better slogan or catch phrase. Or even moderated.

Re: the bolded section. I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the Paleo Diet?

Please insert or make a point.

Paleo Diet purports that legumes are unhealthy.

Yeah, tell a Paleo-er that legumes are healthy, and they'll Phyto you about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It's about the silliest word ever for food. We all know what healthy is. Just do it.

"Healthy" is no less a vague, subjective term. There are people who believe that "healthy" means eating nothing but plant-based foods. There are others who believe that "healthy" is coffee with a huge dollop of butter in it for breakfast and a diet consisting of 80-90% fat. Some seem to believe that if you even go near anything with HFCS, GMO or sugar, you'll immediately bloat up with huge tumors. There's just as much woo and derp about "healthy" as there is about "clean". The thing they have in common is that context and dosage are usually not taken into consideration.

Proof is in the pudding then isn't it. If you are healthy people can see it and tell the difference. It is harder to spot in profile pictures online as everyone on here seems to be quite private...which is fair enough.

Gillian McKeith doesn't look so horrible when she's gussied up either.
    http://gillianmckeith.com/
    And Nigella (who I am a fan of) is overweight, maybe even obese.
  • senecarr
    edited February 2016
    Options

So you can't tell who's healthy by looking at that, particularly in one online picture?
    You've said somethings I've disagreed with in the past, but now you're just spouting utter nonsense. Clearly single pictures of people is the only way to tell who's healthy. >:)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Obese??
    Nigella-Lawson.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Obese??
    Nigella-Lawson.jpg

I am a big consumer of food media and television. Her weight seems to fluctuate a bit. She may sometimes go into the "overweight" category, but I've never seen an image of her that made me think she was obese.

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2016
    Options

Obese??
    Nigella-Lawson.jpg

Maybe she's lost weight or maybe that's not a recent pic, but I've watched her show for years. She's definitely been overweight and very much so at times. But I do see that she's eating veggies here instead of meat, butter, chocolate or desserts so maybe she's changed her ways. :p
  • senecarr
    Options

Obese??
    Nigella-Lawson.jpg

Apparently her weight has fluctuated at some points, so she might have been obese at some point.
    She was a size 16 (UK?) at her largest according to the Daily Fail, and might now be a 12 (UK?). I don't know, women's sizing is arcane sorcery to me even when it isn't measured in Limeys.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Obese??
    Nigella-Lawson.jpg

Apparently her weight has fluctuated at some points, so she might have been obese at some point.
    She was a size 16 (UK?) at her largest according to the Daily Fail, and might now be a 12 (UK?). I don't know, women's sizing is arcane sorcery to me even when it isn't measured in Limeys.

It is the darkest of dark magics.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Washing your food before you eat it... like raccoons.
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is a myth. Ask what is dirty eating. It's a stupid turn of phrase.
  • senecarr
    Options

So you can't tell who's healthy by looking at that, particularly in one online picture?
    You've said somethings I've disagreed with in the past, but now you're just spouting utter nonsense. Clearly single pictures of people is the only way to tell who's healthy. >:)

I might be biased though, as I'm willing to not just use my image, but pit my results against Batman.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

A myth? In what way?
  • senecarr
    Options

A myth? In what way?

About 70% Yeti, 30% El Chupacabra.