Feminists and nonconformists - where do your goals come from?

Options

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »

A Feminist is someone who believes in and strives for equality across the genders. A man is just as capable of being a feminist as a woman. And any feminist who cannot tolerate male allies is not a feminist at all. I am sorry if you have experienced a bad reception in the past for this, cause that's not what feminism is about. Feminists marry men, date men, give birth to men, and in many happy circumstances ARE men.

I'm pretty sure I'm a feminist, but it can sometimes feel like there's always a bigger feminist out there waiting to tell me I'm wrong...

Anyway, my goals are (at 42) being the best I can be, an example to the young people I work with and some serious good mental health from exercising. And I think it makes me look good, too.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I know it's a lot more fun to have muscles and good health than to be over weight. I think I've always enjoyed hard physical work because no one expected me, as a 5 foot woman, to be able to keep up, let alone out do some on the job. Being fit enables me to do what I want, instead of just watching others. And now that I'm older I believe a body in motion, stays in motion. We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
    You have to do it for yourself, it's empowering to push yourself and compete against yourself and believe in yourself. For me it never had anything to do with the latest fashion or what society expected of me.
    More the joy of remembering when I wasn't able to do a certain physical task that over time, I've mastered.
  • Mercurialhens
    Mercurialhens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think for me the most important take away from feminism is that people of any gender should have freedom of choice. So while I, due to socialization, societal messages etc. strive to look a certain way and accomplish goals that relate to fitness, I am very aware that it is a personal choice. There is no one size fits all in life and of course that relates to nutrition, fitness and body image. I know that there is a societal preference for a specific body type, especially for women, which I pretty much adhere to. That's why I think that it's important to support variation from that very narrow definition of acceptable femininity, even when personally fitting that mold.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been following lots of 'fat activists' for a while now on Twitter, and I sort of feel like it had hindered my journey. I need to lose weight for my health, I have PCOS and it is imperative that I reduce my body weight if I want to reduce my symptoms and protect my fertility. I agree hat HAES and FA are kind of *kitten*, because most of the people I know who subscribe to HAES don't *actually* try to be healthy, they just exercise and eat absolute crap. That's not healthy! It can't be healthy if the nutrition is all over the place.

I don't believe that weight loss needs to be a 'feminist' issue. I consider myself a feminist and was really annoyed by the backlash I got from some of my Twitter followers when I mentioned how good I felt having quit sugar (added sugar, mind). "We don't want diet chat", "That's fat-phobic". Shut up. I gave up sugar and within 7 days, I had my period back, which I hadn't had for about a year. Can you imagine people trying to make me feel bad for improving my own health, just because of their own agenda? What you do with your body is your own business, and anyone who wants to make you feel bad about it has no right to; they're probably just still insecure about themselves even though they might crow on about 'fat acceptance' and whatever.

You do what you need to do for yourself! Everyone here on MFP will support you because we're in it together :)
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    My goals come entirely from what I want to look like and what I want my body to be able to do. I don't really give a damn what society thinks, although I was much more aware of it 150 lbs ago (I wasn't fond of being the largest person in any given room, it made me uncomfortable to be stared at). I love being fit, healthy and strong with well defined muscle and most of my goals relate to how much stronger I can be or how much faster I can move.

And don't get me started on HAES. If I had believed in that crap I'd probably be 400 lbs by now and still full of excuses.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you are bowing to society's views and pressures to try to obtain the "ideal" body or if your goals are more internally and personally motivated? Or does it even matter? I ask because I'm not sure for my own goals and was curious about others.

Well, you can lose weight or exercise for whatever reason you want. Be happy with who you are no matter what your outside looks like.
    I think it can be pretty negative for your self esteem if you are changing your body to fit someone else's mold or demand. I think it is sad if you feel you need to surgically alter yourself, change your skin color or do extreme things to look "perfect" or try to be happy.
    That "ideal body" is just a fad that will be different in a decade. I think lots of different body shapes are more attractive than everyone looking alike. I find it somewhat disturbing how much celebrities look alike- women and men. They are just people though no matter what they look like.

I am 41 years old and married for 16 years. I have a teenage daughter watching me. I'm not striving for society's ideal body. As an adult I have been from 100-180 lbs. I have some grey hairs now. I am always pale unless I am sunburned. I have never looked like a model at any weight. I'm still me and I'm okay.
    I am striving for a healthy body because I deserve a healthy body. I want to be able to live my life fully and I need to weigh less or be more fit to do that.
    I do care if my spouse finds me attractive and taking care of myself is a part of that. I don't care what my butt looks like or if I look great in a bikini on the beach though. A smaller dress size or a lower weight does not make me a more valuable person- it is just a number to me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Both @CoffeeNCardio and @bendyourkneekatie pretty much covered most of my thoughts on this verbatim.

Aside from aesthetics, I've noticed in the past 8 months of changing my lifestyle that a slew of other problems have pretty much gone away. Before I started exercising regularly and making better choices nutritionally, I would struggle to wake up every day. I'd go to work simply because I had to make money to live, then I'd come home, pig out and lie in bed until the morning. I never did much else. I was always upset and felt numb. Eventually I got tired of it and forced myself to make a change. Eight months and 27 pounds later, I'm a completely different person physically and mentally. I am up every morning at 5 am filled with energy, I'm a positive person and people around me feel that. I'm better at my job because of how I feel about myself and my life now. I'm only tired when I get home at night and it's time for bed. I sleep through the night and wake up well rested. I would have never imagined myself to change so much and I didn't know this is the person I always was.

That being said, I had a "friend" tell me that the only reason I'm happier now is because I fit society's ideal of beauty. They expressed a lot of vitriol toward my change in lifestyle and physique. It was hurtful and they were wrong. Some people will find me attractive and some people won't; every person has different standards of beauty. I wouldn't care either way, but as it turns out my brain isn't exactly wired for romantic relationships; I feel comfortable being alone and I always will. I didn't do this so that other people would find me physically attractive, I did it for my mental health. Daily routines and structure are what help me be the best person I can be. Every person here has a different story, therefore different reasons as to why they chose to change. Even if someone did it for the sole purpose of being "hot", that's completely within their rights to do so.

People will always find something to gripe about, especially people who call themselves feminists when they aren't. I was once told that since I shave, I'm "conforming to the patriarchy" when in reality I have sensory issues and that includes being extremely bothered by my body hair. I can only handle the hair on my arms and head, anything else makes me squeamish. As @CoffeeNCardio said, true feminists support equality of all genders. I don't hate men; my two best friends are both men and have as many complexities and societal pressures to face as I do. As long as what you're doing makes you happy and doesn't cause any harm to yourself or others, you should be free to do it. You only have one life and shouldn't feel shamed for wanting to live it the best you can.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 now and I can tell you at 23, it was all about vanity and trying to fit into some societal ideal, despite being a feminist and otherwise a nonconformist. I wouldn't have said it then, but looking back, it was a big blind spot I had. Then at 27 I had my first child and I went back to work and my husband stayed home and it became more about keeping my sanity and making sure I had enough energy to work all day and mother all evening with that child and then another. I don't think I really started thinking about that blind spot until I thought how I might influence my daughters' impression of their bodies, though. I started leaving society's opinions on the sidelines more and more, especially as the rise of the internet really started bombarding me with unrealistic ideals I could never compete with. Now I'm 50 and I'm fighting a family history of early deaths from lifestyle issues so my motivation has changed yet again. Vanity to sanity to health.

I don't think it really matters too much what motivates you, as long as you know what it is an are comfortable with it.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As a very outspoken advocate against body-shaming, and a born and bred feminist, I can happily say that it's MY body and I'll make it look however I dam well please. If that happens to mimic societal beauty standards, so be it. I know what I want to look like. I know how I want to feel (energetic and happy). And uterus notwithstanding, I'm perfectly capable of making that decision in spite of the fashion industry.

I also really like clothes I find pretty. I like to feel pretty. I have no issue existing in both spheres and cannot comprehend why I shouldn't.

Being a feminist doesn't mean you have to stop caring what you look like. It means you don't let other people decide that for you. Whether that be some guy saying you're ugly because you don't meet his standard of sexual desirability (cause you are more than a sexual object) or some other woman saying you need to meet standards to be socially acceptable.

I couldn't have said this better myself. I completely concur.

Also, my goals lately have been more centered around fitness. I'm not at my goal weight, but I know I'll get there; I just feel way better about myself when I achieve my fitness goals.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Things I love about weight loss:
    Increased energy
    Legs no longer rubbing together when I walk
    Periods are lighter
    Suffering less when it's hot
    Better times for running races
    Less risk of diabetes and other diseases

Goals don't have to be about what you see in the mirror! Your weight loss is about what feels good for you!
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is rampant in my family and, while I know it will probably get me eventually, I'd like to miss that boat for as long as possible. I don't want to be trapped in an unhealthy body for the rest of my life.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My impetus to lose weight was mostly based on health and comfort, although I'd be lying if I said appearance had nothing to do with it. As I gained weight, I lost confidence, which I think negatively impacted not only my social life but my career. It held me back from speaking my mind and inserting myself into important conversations. I'm a lawyer, and nobody trusts a lawyer without confidence.

At one time, I would have blamed "society" for making me feel that I didn't belong, for making me feel like everyone was judging me for being overweight. What I realize now is that I made myself feel that way, and that I had the power to change it. Empowerment- that is real feminism.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that the HAES and FA wasn't around when I was younger. I would have fallen for that hard. Those people aren't feminists. They are crabs dragging everyone they can into their bucket of self pity.

These days I'm all about being the best version of me. I compete only with myself.

Looking good is a side benefit of feeling good. And in order for me to feel good, I have to exercise and keep myself at a reasonable weight. When I slack off, I feel depressed and unmotivated to do anything. When I take care of my physical self, my emotional self is much more balanced and stable.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    A lot of my feelings on the topic have already been covered. I'm also glad to see men contributing to the discussion because, as mentioned, you don't have to be female to be feminist. Additionally, men benefit from feminism as well.

A big part of my goals do have to do with appearance. But it's what I like to look like, not what anyone else has said I should look like (My husband has commented that he loves how my back looks, which is really nice, but I didn't make these goals just to please him.) I also love feeling strong from my workouts, and knowing I can do whatever I set my mind to.

To me, feminism means we are all free and responsible to set our own goals, without having to bow to gender stereotypes or expectations. You don't have to set goals contrary to the mainstream ideas; just decide what you like and what you want (and yes, that may be influenced by media, etc. But you can still chose whether you like that or not)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're happy, does it really matter? That's how I feel about it.

Yes, we are going to be somewhat influenced by society, but the more you can recognise this, the more true yourself you will find. Will there still be some influence at the back of our minds, that we don't even realise? Probably. I'm happy though. If my views change I'm confident enough to admit it and grow as a person. My body ideals, whether stereotypical "beauty standards" or not, influenced or not, really do feel like my own. I personally don't think mine are pretty conventional - more size please! But I'm going for it because it makes me happy.

Away from the "feminist" label, because who knows what it really means now. I believe in equal rights, I'm against body shaming (fat or skinny or anything in between) and I wish people would stop pretending it's about health when they put bigger people down (can this HAES debate thing just end now?) Let's be honest here, it's not about health. Nobody gives a damn about the health of a large number of young, slim attractive young people going out binge drinking, smoking, with a poor diet, but with a fat woman and suddenly everyone think they're an expert "I'm just concerned about your health" Unless they're close to you (real concern doesn't involve nasty comments) that's BS.

You can be overweight (or underweight for that matter) and healthy. However, the more extreme you go either end the more chances you have of having health problems. That's obvious. But there's more to it than just scale weight, way more.

Love your body, love what it does for you, appreciate it when it does you well. Do what makes you feel good, physically and mentally. Be happy, be confident! Be you.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How do you know if you are bowing to society's views and pressures to try to obtain the "ideal" body or if your goals are more internally and personally motivated? Or does it even matter? I ask because I'm not sure for my own goals and was curious about others.

I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about my choices (on any subject) with respect to whether or not they make me a feminist. I also don't think about whether or not I should do things based on my gender. To me, that is the true aim of feminism. It shouldn't be about women attempting equality with men or superiority to men. It should be about doing what we want without thinking about it in terms of gender...because it doesn't matter.

ETA: This goes both ways for me. Men should be able to do things that are traditionally seen as feminine without receiving flak for it.

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Liking how you look in the mirror is not inherently anti feminist to me. Neither is necessarily wanting to look good for others. I think it becomes anti feminist if that is the only reason or you focus on that to the detriment of the rest of your physical and emotional health.

Some of my other goals include fitting into my clothes better, more energy to do things, and getting involved in a sport.
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Cool. I don't have the time to quote and copy all of the wonderful things I am reading here right now but know that I am loving this thread.

I am a strong independent woman. Single mother to three. I am most decidedly a feminist and feminine. I love that I can choose how I will portray myself and that I can set a role model for my two daughters and my son. I wish to be strong inside and out. I will not be defined by society. Period.

Keep on keepin' on my feminist friends.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

You are not implying that feminists should make an effort to not conform by being obese and out of shape on purpose?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It's hard to detangle my goals because of course I'd /like/ to be considered more attractive to others. Though that is also a scary thought, in some ways I feel like I've been "protected" from a lot of the negative attention many of my conventionally attractive friends have to deal with, like catcalling.

I actually think in some ways not wanting to care about what I looked like kept me from acknowledging my weight as a health concern until I realized I was actually obese and it was affecting my health and quality of life. I had seen "fat" as only an aesthetic issue that I /shouldn't/ care about, that I was ashamed to care about, instead of a health issue.

But my goals have nothing to do with just being skinny. My goals are to be healthier, be more active, and be less unhappy with my life and my choices. I don't really believe I ever will be thin, I don't buy magazines, and I have no interest in fad diets or "cleanses". I want to treat my body with respect, be comfortable in my embodied self rather than just thinking of myself as a brain in an unpleasant physical case. My goals are improved physical and mental well being. And if I daydream sometimes about turning heads and being cute, well, that's okay too.