A List of Calorie Dense Foods

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Ooh, if we're doing more recipe type stuff:
    • baked brie with brown sugar, brandy, and walnuts spread on bread or crackers
    • A good, crusty bread dipped in olive oil, garlic, and italian spices
    • dates stuffed with goat cheese or chorizo, wrapped in bacon, and brushed with maple syrup
    • your favorite cereal with half and half or cream instead of milk (this is amazingly addictive)
    • banana or pumpkin bread
    • Meatballs with high fat ground meat and cranberry sauce
    • buffalo chicken dip with crackers
    • risotto
    • deviled eggs
    • sausage jalapeno poppers
    • stuffed mushrooms
    • hummus pizza (your favorite pizza but replace the tomato sauce with hummus; so good!)
  • Academ
    Academ Posts: 4 Member
    Fruit is misleading. There are a lot of non-calorie dense fruit. Think blueberries, strawberries, etc...
    Beef Jerky isn't calorie dense. 1 oz. is generally 80 calories. 2 oz can be a very healthy snack that will last a while and a great replacement for chips.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Academ wrote: »
    Fruit is misleading. There are a lot of non-calorie dense fruit. Think blueberries, strawberries, etc...
    Beef Jerky isn't calorie dense. 1 oz. is generally 80 calories. 2 oz can be a very healthy snack that will last a while and a great replacement for chips.

Um, then how about contributing some foods of your own that you do feel are calorie dense?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Ooh, if we're doing more recipe type stuff:
    • baked brie with brown sugar, brandy, and walnuts spread on bread or crackers
    • A good, crusty bread dipped in olive oil, garlic, and italian spices
    • dates stuffed with goat cheese or chorizo, wrapped in bacon, and brushed with maple syrup
    • your favorite cereal with half and half or cream instead of milk (this is amazingly addictive)
    • banana or pumpkin bread
    • Meatballs with high fat ground meat and cranberry sauce
    • buffalo chicken dip with crackers
    • risotto
    • deviled eggs
    • sausage jalapeno poppers
    • stuffed mushrooms
    • hummus pizza (your favorite pizza but replace the tomato sauce with hummus; so good!)

Hummus pizza sounds really good! I'm adding that to my list of meals to try this week.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    • Nutella and bananas with bread
    • Scrambled eggs with sour cream or cheddar
    • Greek salad -- tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, cheese
    • Yogurt with honey and almonds or raisins
    • Cut up veggies with full fat Ranch salad dressing
    • Pasta with butter and parmesan cheese
    • Cottage cheese or yogurt with Cheerios or other cereal and fruit
    • RIce pudding -- rice with milk, eggs, sugar
    • Chips and sour cream
    • Walnuts wrapped with dates and cream cheese
    • Avocado on toast
    • Ham and cheese on a croissant
    • Fried rice
    • Mashed potatoes -- potatoes with butter and milk
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Add macadamia nuts.
  • Lillypearl62
    Lillypearl62 Posts: 23 Member
    I can use this...thanks.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    I only skimmed the list, but using the standard definition of "calorie-dense", soybeans and "fruit" wouldn't make the cut.

I didn't see breakfast cereals. If I missed it, I did, but if it's not there, breakfast cereals are an excellent way to load up on calories and some have fiber and iron, so you get a little goodness. :)

It's a nice idea, creating a list.
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    bump for later! Thx for the list!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I only skimmed the list, but using the standard definition of "calorie-dense", soybeans and "fruit" wouldn't make the cut.

I didn't see breakfast cereals. If I missed it, I did, but if it's not there, breakfast cereals are an excellent way to load up on calories and some have fiber and iron, so you get a little goodness. :)

It's a nice idea, creating a list.

Yes, soybeans and fruit along with some others have been covered in the comments several times. If I could go back and edit them out, I would. But that window passed a long time ago.

Thanks for adding breakfast cereals. That's one I hadn't thought of.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Great list...mostly healthy stuff too. Whenever I need a calorie boost - peanut butter is my go to. Love love love it
  • uniformpeanut
    uniformpeanut Posts: 2 Member
    This list is exactly what I needed!!!! Although I can get myself to 1200 calories, my recommended daily amount is a little over 2000... I just started MFP last week, but after tracking I found that I usually get around 1500 daily. It's not like I'm super hungry, but I know that as I start losing weight, it's going to be harder to cut out some calories from 1500 than it would be to cut from 2000. Thanks OP! :)<3
  • jelenacrnic
    jelenacrnic Posts: 15 Member
    This is sooo good thank youuu <3
  • NikaBlake
    NikaBlake Posts: 46 Member
    Awesome thanks!
  • Jhuff4
    Jhuff4 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm posting this list with the intention of creating something that people can link to when someone is having a hard time reaching their calorie goal. I hope that other users will add more ideas in the comments.

Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):

avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    10 bean soup, turkey hock, with Wisconsin Sharp cheese on top
    Lentils and ham
    Chorizo over a hard boiled egg, honey, and a little sriracha
    cheese and beef or deer jerky
    honey sticks(deer bologna)
  • Haleyandrews747
    Haleyandrews747 Posts: 6 Member
    Nice list
  • OonaWingedWolf
    OonaWingedWolf Posts: 12 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    People have trouble hitting 1200 calories? LOL

You would be surprised. Or maybe not. People on low incomes go one of two ways: too calorie dense eating or too low. For a while when I was feeding 5 on 300 a month I found I was only eating 400 to 800 calories a day. That's bad. I switched out a few staples for something that had more calories and vitamins and was hitting 1000 to 1300 a day. It's going to be easier now that I am feeding 2 on 250 a month. At least I hope.
  • eemonf
    eemonf Posts: 23 Member
    I'm a little confused after reading this. I'm trying to loose weight and I heard that it is better to eat high protein foods. I eat a lot of things on this list like peanut butter and Greek yogurt...is this bad?

Is it bad to be under your calorie limit if you want to loose weight? How low can you go without being unhealthy?
  • 111katie
    111katie Posts: 28 Member
    I need to eat 3000 calories or more. Its honestly very hard to meet.