Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The journey is different now & hard to say how. It's quieter & calmer. I was off line for a severe work stress & in the midst of that I learned no one will take care of me but me & I deserve it. I am hoping that is the famous click to do it now! I set a small January goal - just log & nothing else. Did not have to lose or stay in calories just learn what I ate & make a habit. They (the magic they) say it takes 2-3 weeks to make a new habit. I learned it takes me 6 weeks. This week I reached the point where I can't not log even if it's just my best guess. It feels better to log - goal met! I lost 11 pounds too as a side benefit. When the scale went up two pounds I was ok because I'm taking care of me & that gain is not going to stop me. My next goal is some activity to reverse serious couch potato lifestyle. I'm looking for something very small & doable to ease into. Planting another little seed to nurture for 6 weeks to grow a habit for me because I deserve it. For today, hopefully tomorrow & the next day after that.
  • Ardentoak
    Ardentoak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new here, and look forward to learning from your weight loss journeys. I can use all of the inspiration and motivation I can get! I'm 43, and I have 178 lbs to lose. That's a whole obese woman. The number is overwhelming, but I know that it's all about one decision at a time, building up to one day at a time. I figure I have a couple of years of effortful weight loss ahead of me, and I'm giving myself every tool that I can.

Six years ago, I jumped into Weight Watchers and a gym program that was sort of like the Biggest Loser. I was working out 6-7 days a week for at least an hour a day (usually 2 hrs or more). I felt great, and I was losing pretty steadily, but then I was injured doing football drills (yep, fat girls doing football drills). I tore my ACL and meniscus, and after surgery, just couldn't get myself going again. I was afraid that I would have another injury. Then my Mom got very sick, and we had over a year of high stress before she passed away. Tomorrow is the 4th anniversary of her death.

I know that she died because of diseases directly associated with obesity, (she was diabetic, and died of congestive heart failure and kidney failure) and I don't want to experience the same fate. I just had a full physical, and with the exception of my weight, I'm PERFECTLY healthy. I want to make the most of this to make losing weight easier.

The doctor suggested that I try Contrave to help with overeating and to, hopefully, eliminate the cravings that have always been a serious problem for me. It took a lot of consideration for me to decide to take it, and I just took my first dose. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has used Contrave to help with weight loss.

I plan to bike and do yoga, alternating every other day, to give myself some gentle, low-impact movement until I lose some weight.

We're on a tight budget right now (I'm building my own business, and it's early days), so I would also love to hear about any kind of great recipe sources that are budget friendly and include lots of veggies! :smiley:

This is the one area of my life that I feel out of control of. I'm a certified life coach, and I can coach myself, and anyone else, through any other challenge or circumstance. This is a deep-seated thing for me. Showing up here, and being vulnerable, is a huge step. I really appreciate having this forum!
  • Ardentoak
    Ardentoak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The journey is different now & hard to say how. It's quieter & calmer. I was off line for a severe work stress & in the midst of that I learned no one will take care of me but me & I deserve it. I am hoping that is the famous click to do it now! I set a small January goal - just log & nothing else. Did not have to lose or stay in calories just learn what I ate & make a habit. They (the magic they) say it takes 2-3 weeks to make a new habit. I learned it takes me 6 weeks. This week I reached the point where I can't not log even if it's just my best guess. It feels better to log - goal met! I lost 11 pounds too as a side benefit. When the scale went up two pounds I was ok because I'm taking care of me & that gain is not going to stop me. My next goal is some activity to reverse serious couch potato lifestyle. I'm looking for something very small & doable to ease into. Planting another little seed to nurture for 6 weeks to grow a habit for me because I deserve it. For today, hopefully tomorrow & the next day after that.

You DO deserve it! Good for you, for doing the work to find out what REALLY works for you (and learning how long it takes for you to make a habit).

I just discovered an easy Yoga video on Amazon Prime that I'm going to try, to get up and moving. I'm sitting here watching it now (so that I can get an idea of whether I can do the poses, and to be able to follow it more smoothly). I think it's totally doable. If you have the service, I would love a virtual workout buddy. :blush:
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I set a small January goal - just log & nothing else. Did not have to lose or stay in calories just learn what I ate & make a habit. They (the magic they) say it takes 2-3 weeks to make a new habit. I learned it takes me 6 weeks. This week I reached the point where I can't not log even if it's just my best guess. It feels better to log - goal met! I lost 11 pounds too as a side benefit. When the scale went up two pounds I was ok because I'm taking care of me & that gain is not going to stop me.

I love this post trailgirl. Sometimes I forget the smaller goals, setting them, working them, remembering why they're important... And your timing couldn't be better. I weighed in today and I'm continuing my journey but 12 pounds heavier than when I started it last year. I was all set to be super upset and just down in the dumps, but your post reminded my there are important things to be learned along this path. Thanks for that, and I'm in the same boat, it takes me 6-8 weeks to make a habit...
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome Ardentoak. I have quite a bit too loose as well, so looks like our journey will make us neighbors. Let me know about that yoga video, I've been giving yoga some serious consideration, so you've piqued my interest!
  • trailgirl777
    Options
    Well I evaluated my feb goal of activity & only went twice. This was not quite the showing I was going for. I made excuses in my mind ( work 12+ hour days etc). Decided excuses were not going to fly & looked at what I did in my off time. Lo & behold if I reduce my online gaming time I will have workout time. So this week I'm working on my gaming addiction & it's a doozy for emotional numbing. Been offline almost a week & scrambling for healthier stress coping strategies. Please send suggestions. I ordered some easy workout dvd that should arrive next week cause it is late & dark when I get home. hopefully March goes better for my exercise goals.

I posted inspirational backgrounds on my computer (I work on it also) to remind me of who I really am & what I'm working for on this journey so I can shed the things that are in the way.
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well I evaluated my feb goal of activity & only went twice. This was not quite the showing I was going for. I made excuses in my mind ( work 12+ hour days etc). Decided excuses were not going to fly & looked at what I did in my off time. Lo & behold if I reduce my online gaming time I will have workout time. So this week I'm working on my gaming addiction & it's a doozy for emotional numbing. Been offline almost a week & scrambling for healthier stress coping strategies. Please send suggestions. I ordered some easy workout dvd that should arrive next week cause it is late & dark when I get home. hopefully March goes better for my exercise goals.

I posted inspirational backgrounds on my computer (I work on it also) to remind me of who I really am & what I'm working for on this journey so I can shed the things that are in the way.

I have been sedentary during winter mostly! I am so looking forward to spring and summer!!! That is when it REALLY HITS ME!!!! Get out there and do MORE! But honestly I make excuses too!! we are only human!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • ptkat28
    Options
    Where is everyone??? I have missed y'all!!! I know I am working a lot, but I am trying my best to check in with the best group on here!!!!
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm still here- Glad to be a part of such a great group. Been difficult to get to the gym lately- but still trying most days. And just got something neat to help me workout at home.
  • ptkat28
    Options
    I'm still here- Glad to be a part of such a great group. Been difficult to get to the gym lately- but still trying most days. And just got something neat to help me workout at home.

Good to see you still here!!! My husband is wanting to get some kind of Bowflex machine!!! Men!!! lol
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This thing I got was cheap- lol $19 on clearance- don't think you will get off that easy lol
  • shamrock1959
    shamrock1959 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Maryann from Illinois. I'm new to this group. I have recommitting to MFP and to the support of others on the same journey. I have a lot of weight to loss and need to stop isolating and eating to fill the hole in my soul. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ to lose . I have made it to a 42 pound loss and fell. Thus loosing my motivation along with ability two exersize . long story short I gained it all back and then some . I am relearning everything again . 20 days into this renewed journey . need a place to share my ups and downs .
  • e911dispatch
    e911dispatch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 44 , T2 diabetic an in need of loosing 100lbs. Would love to be added for some help staying positive an advice.

Thanks
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This is the best group, come n chat often. Gayle Minneapolis
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I did was cut out soda!! It's been 20 days! Went buy quickly. 2nd thing was limited amouts of chocolate . I know if I cut it out completely I will end up binging . so I limit myself to a mini candy 2 times a week. I am trying to add moving more and have got myself to two quarts of water a day working on 3. Replacing a bad habit with a good one and working on mastering it before I change something else . staying in my calories .. It's hard but I am worth it .
  • ptkat28
    Options
    Hi all new people!!! I have been on here almost a year! I have lost 82lbs and guessing around 70-75 inches and did that by cutting out all sugar, pasta, bread, basically all the bad carbs. It is not for everyone! I drink at least 12 glasses of water a day, and get in at least 10,000 steps a day. When it gets warm, I will swim and run in my pool, and I love to dance!!! It burns tons of calories!!! I work full time now, so I don't get to check in quiet so often, but I am still hanging in there, so friend me if you want!!! :) Oh and good luck to you all!!!
  • ptkat28
    Options
    This thing I got was cheap- lol $19 on clearance- don't think you will get off that easy lol

Yeah I think the machine he is wanting is like $1000-$1500!!!!! MEN!!!!!!
  • Mandylou2014
    Mandylou2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Mandy, I'm looking for friends to keep me motivated. I've lost 30lbs and gained some back. I have 100 + to lose to get to my goal. This looks like a great thread with a lot of encouraging people.
  • trailgirl777
    Options
    Welcome new folks!