Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options
Hi there, I'm 42 and looking to lose 100+ pounds (made it to 80 pounds 3 years ago and then gained half of it back) but I want to do it the "right" and learn how to "eat to live, not live to eat". I am addicted to food... it's my own personal brand of drug and I am looking for people who want lose weight eating healthy and tasty foods. I would love to share tips and tricks you've found work for you. I love looking at people's daily diaries and seeing wonderful sounding meals that are filling but still satisfy your hunger. I am tired of being obsessed with food and although I realize that right now that obsession is a necessity (I need to plan things out or I end up making excuses for eating the wrong things), I eventually want to know instinctively what's ok to eat and what's not ok to eat. I'm not saying a doughnut once in a while as a treat isn't "ok"... but I don't want to spend my precious calories on crap all the time. If you're looking for a friend who is willing to support you in your successes and even more so in your "ooopses", add me and let's do this!

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can SO do this! If I can, YOU can! Feel free to add me! :)
  • melx123
    melx123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm right there with ya, one day at a time, you can do this. =)
  • goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll add you!!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    So what does everyone have planned for Valentine's Day dinner? We're having steak and roasted brussel sprouts and a modified version of fettuccine alfredo with scallops. Going to be eating very light until then to save up my calories but my goal tonight is to really listen to my body and stop eating when I'm full. I'll use all the techniques I can think of... putting down utensils between bites, cutting and then switching my fork to the other hand, drinking water before and during... all to see if I can start working on my self-control! :)
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi... You are welcome to add me!

I started my journey in September and have since lost 53lbs. I need to lose at least 77 more, and potentially more after that (depending on how I feel, look, etc.). I feel like I've learned a lot in the last few months, and am happy to help share and encourage. It's great that you want to do this the healthy way, and tackle this mentally and emotionally as well. :)

We had our valentine's stuff yesterday, but tonight we are having chicken breast topped with passata and light cheese, along with homemade chips ( potato cut into fry/chip shape and sprayed with low cal spray and baked), along with some fresh veg. I hope you enjoy your dinner!
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add me although I don't always eat the best things as long as it fits. For valentine's day I'm going to olive garden and am going to have baked tilapia and shrimp with white wine sauce, so I'm seriously looking forward to it!

Haha I do all those techniques too, but sometimes I just have to chow down! lol
  • believefsc
    believefsc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! What a great thread <3

I hit my goal and lost 51 pounds and over 60 inches in 2014. I have another 100 pounds to lose so would love to support and be supported by anyone else on this journey! I'm positive, active and always willing to help :smiley:

Add me and let's do this!
  • shirayne
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @LovingLife_Erin‌ What is "passata"?

• shirayne
    Options
    @zoomtech16‌ I hear ya!!! Chowing down is unfortunately an art I've mastered! LOL
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's basically the liquid from tomatoes. It's great to add some tomato taste, garlic, and herbs to for a healthy pasta sauce. I live in the UK but I see you're in Canada (your diary had Tims in it). I'm from Canada originally ( Hamilton) so I'm super jealous of your access to Horton's! I know that in some grocery stores you can buy passata there, although it might be harder to find. :)

Whereabouts are you in Canada?
  • racomunale09
    Options
    @shirayne‌ I am new here too and I also have over 100 pounds to lose. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 18 months ago and I have degenerative disc disease. Working out is very tricky for me but I will be successful! Add me and let's go on this journey together! :)
  • shirayne
    Options
    @LovingLife_Erin‌: I'm just outside of downtown Ottawa! I will admit that I'm addicted to Timmies... I miss having breakfast there but I'm finding awesome replacements! Thanks for the info on Passata. I'll have to check out the stores and see if anyone carries it. :)

@racomunale09‌: Welcome to the thread! It's hard enough to lose weight without the added challenges you're dealing with but it sounds like you're motivated and that puts you half way there already! Looking forward to getting through this with you! Also, when I was here last time, I started a thread about fitness but I used to set a weekly challenge that was entertaining as much as it got your heart rate up. For example, one week we had to do 25 jumping jacks a day but they had to be done in a public place at least twice during the week. Well let me tell you... people roared at the different stories that came out. It was hilarious! I may just have to do that again. :wink:
  • shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello, you can count me in. Adding you. I am on a mission to lose about 70 pounds. For the past four months I have definitely changed the way I approach my day. I love food. Find new ways to make clean eating a pleasurable part of my life. I have lost 18 pounds so far. Long way to go. I would love to be part of this.
  • shirayne
    Options
    Welcome to the thread @shreyashiganguly‌! Great job so far and we're all in this together!
  • shreyashiganguly
    Options
    Thank you @shirayne. So far these are the things that I have changed. They definitely have made the difference.
    • Wake up and sleep around the same time every day (even on weekends).
    • Eat at fairly regular times; multiple small meals about every 3 hours.
    • I use an activity tracker.
    • Keep my meals protein rich.
    • I avoid added sugars. Read food labels very carefully.
    • I have stopped having sugary soda drinks. (This is the only no-no for me).
    • I eat home-made 80% of the time. The other times I do not sweat it. Since I mean to work this way for the rest of my life.
    • I do a weakly meal prep. Makes clean eating for the week easy.
    • I drink water as much as 3.5 litres/day.
  • shreyashiganguly
    Options
    Meant: I do a weekly meal prep. Makes clean eating for the week easy.
    Tsk tsk.
  • shirayne
    Options
    I've started meal prepping as well. At least where lunches are concerned. My crock-pot has become my best friend. I've found low calorie but higher nutritional value recipes that I'm tweaking to make them work for me. I make them on Sundays and then split them into portions right away before putting them in the fridge. I do the same for breakfasts. By Friday, I must admit I'm tired of eating the same thing five days in a row... but if it works it works! :)
  • singhnitasha
    singhnitasha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I also have a goal to loose around 70 lbs. I totally resonate with your thoughts about struggling to eat right and then eating the wrong things due to lack of planning. One thing I have learnt is that the best way to eat healthy is to cook the meals yourself. I have stopped ordering out, even when I am tired after and feel too drained to cook. I make a quick salad or a boiled egg and toast. Please feel free to add me and I would be happy to share my meal plans with you.

Best of luck in your journey.

Regards
    Nitasha
  • shirayne
    Options
    Hey Nitasha! Thanks for joining the thread! I'd love to hear more about your plans and the different meals you've "concocted". :) I'm always on the lookout for variety!
  • jostamer
    Options
    Hello~ I am really new here~ like 3 days in :-). I am intending to lose 110# and am very determined! I have enjoyed your threads:-) I have cut out Mountain Dew after a 2 decade love affair! That was huge for me! I hate vegetables and really have to be creative to get them in! I am trying!