Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• mdabney1073
    Options
    Big food addict here. I need help with meal planning. Today is my first day actually using this app. I was too scared to do it before. That sounds crazy. I am not sure if I can do this.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Welcome mdabney! You absolutely CAN do this... you need to have a little faith in yourself and patience for the times you slip up and overall the desire to to do this! If you've got that you're good as gold! I struggled with meal planning as well. It's time-consuming but so worth it. Over the last 3-4 weeks, I've been cooking a crock-pot full of goodness and portioning it out right away so that in the morning, I know exactly what I have to grab and it takes 2 minutes. Here's an example: one week for breakfast I got thin sandwich buns by Dempster's, hard boiled a dozen eggs, and got some hummus. I got small containers and measured out 2 tablespoons of hummus into each one. So each day I grabbed a bun, a container of hummus, and 2 eggs. Some days I ate the full 2 eggs, other days i and the other just the egg white. hummus on the bread, egg on top, a little salt and pepper and voila! Then for lunches I made a crock-pot of turkey chili. Once it cooled, I measured out the portions into individual containers and grabbed one of those and a greek yogurt for lunch. I added an apple in case it wasn't enough. during the day I thought about dinner and made sure it fulfilled my calorie count for the day. Yes it took time but think about how easy it is to grab and go. :) It also takes a lot of research on the internet for low calorie delicious recipes. You'll have hit and misses (my corn chowder left to be desired) but that's ok. Fill your fridge with vegetables and fruit to snack on and you'll do great!
  • eml298
    eml298 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing awesome in here! @shirayne‌ - I love the idea of portioning out all of your individual meals for the week in separate containers. I keep meaning to do that, but just haven't. Great reminder! :)
  • sdsmom
    sdsmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am trying to get down around 85-100 lbs by my 45th birthday next February. The last time I lost significant weight was with Atkins in 2003, got pregnant with #3 and still haven't lost it. I want to do this the healthy way and get off my blood pressure meds. :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have about 100 to lose. I had lost, well, nearly 100 (went from almost 300 to about 185), then got hit with a bout of nasty depression, back up to 250 or so, back down to 210, and I now find myself sitting at about 250 again. UGH.
    I don't think I was mentally prepared the second time around, as my issues are almost entirely along the mental spectrum (I tend to believe I don't deserve to be thin). Anyone else that needs to lose a lot struggle with the mental aspect of weight loss?
    Anyway, I'm back for round three and hope to deal a lot with my head (hope to be able to see a therapist) and get this weight off for good this time!! :)
  • shirayne
    Options
    Welcome newcomers! Always nice to see new faces!
    @ eml298: My pleasure! Today's recipe is a chicken cordon bleu casserole. Can't wait to see what kind of portions that will give and whether it will be enough to satisfy me. :)

@sdsmom‌: Kids are such a blessing aren't they! They make us get fat, cause us to grow white hair and cause us anxiety with their fearlessness! LOL I have a son who will be 12 this coming week and he is by far the light of my life. He also knows how to test my limits but I wouldn't have it any other way and I regret not having been healthier for his sake. Sometimes I feel like he's missed out on things that I couldn't do with him because of my weight. He's a big source of motivation for me right now. I need to do this before it's no longer "cool" to hang out with Mom. ;)

@bregalad5‌: It's hard enough to lose weight we've put on but add to that the mental challenges and it becomes almost daunting. I think you've come to a good thread. I know I've found myself motivated by a lot of new friends here and I sometimes think of this as a kind of AA meeting for the addiction to food. We can certainly be a sounding board for you when you really want that cake but have held off and come here to tell us about it. I'm not a trained counselor or anything but I've struggled like you have, I've binged, I've craved, I've overcome, and I've failed. Sometimes you really need someone who has lived (and is still living) the challenges you're facing whether it's to say: "You can do this!" or even "It's ok to fall of the horse as long as you get back up". :)
  • jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 27 and looking to lose 100+ pounds.
    A few years ago I managed to lose roughly 50 pounds but have since put it all back on plus extra.

I defiantly have a big issue with food, I eat a lot of fast food and have very unhealthy portion sizes, I tend to have double what I should and can become very obsessive about wanting food when I limit myself- to the point I end up bingeing.

I want to try and gain a healthier look on food so I don't end up falling off some diet and back in to eating an entire cake as a snack.

I restarted my weight loss goals and have restarted using the tracker and I could defiantly use some tips and support to keep going, I think it defiantly helps to know others are trying to achieve the same goal.

I totally agree with ya on eating too much. I love food. This app has helped me this far. Just by realizing how many calories I eat is ctazy. This app puts into perspective. I think beforr I eat. I think Is this really worth it? How will this make me feel better? Then I look down and realize that it will nake me feel better while eating and then when I am done guilt comes. Ugh!!!! Hang in there it does get better.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Monday is here again. Some of us are continuing our journey and others are just starting! I hope everyone has a great week. My main goals for this week are the same as last. Hit my fitbit goals, drink my water, and portion control. Tonight is a gym night and I would love to have a high step count for the day. Our suppers are planned for the week. And my lunches are basically the same. A protein packed salad. I am different from most. I don't log my calories. I know generally how much I'm taking in. Or I look up things to know what my portion size should be. But every time I try logging daily it stresses me out. Stress makes me eat. Very counterproductive!!!
  • lreznik123
    Options
    I'm with you girls! I need to lose 100lbs as well. I lost 100 gained back 50. :( haven't been able to get back on track. I have the Fitbit - anyone want to join on challenges?
  • danielle7577
    Options
    @Ireznik123 Welcome, I use my fitbit all the time. Love it. My email is daniellesaurers@gmail.com if you want to add me.
  • shirayne
    Options
    Welcome lreznik123! I also have a fitbit but it's so cold right now that I haven't put it to good use... But it's coming! :)
  • danielle7577
    Options
    I get around 20k steps a day and it's all inside. Even without the gym!
  • jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting of those fitbits, or some other type. I just wasn't sure how effective they were. Does anyone know if they work in wooded areas where cell phones are lycky to get service? They are connected right?
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thread to stumble upon :)

You ladies are going to loose amazing number of lbs! I've still got around 54 lbs to go.

(*) Let's do this (*)
  • shirayne
    Options
    Good question jonesm97... it' connected for sure. Do you know someone who had one who might be able to let you try it out?

Welcome archanajoyce! Always nice to have a new source of motivation! We should all weigh ourselves on march 1st and see collectively how much weight we lose during the month! I bet the number would be staggering!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic idea @shirayne‌! Let's do it! Maybe you could start a group. There are a couple of groups that I'm a part of (20 lbs by Easter etc). There are spreadsheets there and we could use similar ones. I'd love to be part of such a motivational group :)
  • niclan13
    niclan13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i have found myself getting very frustrated lately. January was a good month..i lost about 2 lbs a week..this month..crap..i will admit i had some bad days where i made poor choices but for the most part i stayed on track and i have seemed to have hit a plateau or something. .. not losing anything now .. i didnt think u hit plateaus this early in the game.. i am bad when it comes to the scale when i dont see it move i get discouraged and start to question why i am putting all this effort in and for what? i need some motic
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    First thing to know when trying to lose weight is to have small reachable goals for each week. It worked for me! I combined workout & gave up one unhealthy food each week. And added healthy food. When I started the journey to becoming healthy, I said to myself I'm not going to jump on the scale everyday...but at the end of each week. That showed me a clear change in my weight!! It encouraged me to set my goal for the week ahead. Good luck to you. You can do this! Start with saying to yourself, "I have to do this, no options & no excuses!"
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    niclan13 wrote: »
    i have found myself getting very frustrated lately. January was a good month..i lost about 2 lbs a week..this month..crap..i will admit i had some bad days where i made poor choices but for the most part i stayed on track and i have seemed to have hit a plateau or something. .. not losing anything now .. i didnt think u hit plateaus this early in the game.. i am bad when it comes to the scale when i dont see it move i get discouraged and start to question why i am putting all this effort in and for what? i need some motic

It's so freakin' hard, isn't it? But maybe you need to stop seeing the # on the scale as your Approval Rating. (I'm bad if the number goes up or doesn't change; I'm good if it goes down) Start looking at NSV's as more important and make them your goal. I (re)started this journey by changing my breakfast to a healthy meal. Then, I wanted to include lunch the following week. A week later or so, I was wanting to incorporate dinner. I'm finding I do better with slow changes. The scale has only moved a few pounds, but I'm happy with the choices I'm making (NSV's) about eating and exercising, and I find that I'm appreciating myself. I like the fact that I'm happy even though the scale has moved very little. I find it progressive and I'm confident I'll start to see more progress with the scale-- it's just not my focus.

You can beat this! Be kind to yourself! Don't give up! :)

• 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting of those fitbits, or some other type. I just wasn't sure how effective they were. Does anyone know if they work in wooded areas where cell phones are lycky to get service? They are connected right?

I don't use one, but there's a forum on this site where you could read and ask questions. I know a lot of people LOOOOOve them.