• svornov
    svornov Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lift for an hour. Then 30 min cardio.

Me too!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Shortest lifting session is around 25 minutes, longest is 37.

I can't do long sessions; I burn out and end up quitting after a few months. Luckily the program I follow is quick.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lifting is at your own pace, I don't time myself except for cardio. I make sure to try to do reps efficiently and take breaks. Probably half an hour at least.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    For some reason I thought you were asking about lifting time for SL5x5….lol
    I'm currently running PPL 6 days a week. I routinely bump up to 55-60 mins each day and I'm hoofing it through the lifting session. Lots of supersets and short (30-60 secs) rest breaks between sets.
    If I'm running 531 then it's still about the same time but since it's more strength focused I'm resting for mins between sets.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Usually takes me between 1:10 - 1:20 plus 10-20 mins cardio. At 35 minutes, the endorphins are just starting to get going for me! I enjoy a long time at the gym though.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I warm up and stretch for about 3-5 mins- basically a song or 2.
    Then start my sets. I rest for 90sec in between each set. Ive recently added some accessory work.
    Some days I need to speed through it- I dont like doing this because I need the rest times - or I skip the additional work. (I work out at home doing StrongLift 5x5 and have 3 Littles) but I really like to give myself an hour.

Oh, sweet glorious hour to all myself!
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Roughly 60-75 minutes.

My wife is doing a program I worked up based off 5x5 and it takes her ~25-30 minutes.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Congrats on choosing the correct form of exercise! Do some searches on PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD and challenge yourself. Cardio is overrated. Keep pumping iron!!

Cardio after strength training is counterproductive I've been told. Not sure how much truth there is to that. I was told to do cardio at a separate time al together from strength training. I weight train 5 days a week. I'm sweating like a pig generally throughout the whole time. But I'm lifting to add muscle/definition and not lose much anymore. It takes me an hour on the shortest day that includes stretching and biggest day is an hour and a half. Trainer lead program. I think if you're not sweating and you think it's not enough it's probably not enough.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Congrats on choosing the correct form of exercise! Do some searches on PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD and challenge yourself. Cardio is overrated. Keep pumping iron!!

Cardio after strength training is counterproductive I've been told. Not sure how much truth there is to that. I was told to do cardio at a separate time al together from strength training. I weight train 5 days a week. I'm sweating like a pig generally throughout the whole time. But I'm lifting to add muscle/definition and not lose much anymore. It takes me an hour on the shortest day that includes stretching and biggest day is an hour and a half. Trainer lead program. I think if you're not sweating and you think it's not enough it's probably not enough.

how could it possibly be counterproductive?
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking.
    If I tried to do cardio before I lift - that would make it counterproductive for me based on what my goals are. Id be gassed trying to squat. No thanks.
    However- doing some cardio after Ive just blasted through my lifts seems like a decent idea - if I felt like it. Which I never do. But thats not the point. :)
    I usually get my "cardio" in during the day and lift at night. Different strokes.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah unless you're training for a running event- do cardio after lifting- because cardio before lifting IS indeed counterproductive- or at least not conducive to MASS GAINZ BRAH.

The other option is- just don't do cardio- easy peazy ;) then no issues.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah unless you're training for a running event- do cardio after lifting- because cardio before lifting IS indeed counterproductive- or at least not conducive to MASS GAINZ BRAH.

Your solutions, they make sense to me. :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

Your solutions, they make sense to me. :)

its' why they keep me around ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking.
    If I tried to do cardio before I lift - that would make it counterproductive for me based on what my goals are. Id be gassed trying to squat. No thanks.
    However- doing some cardio after Ive just blasted through my lifts seems like a decent idea - if I felt like it. Which I never do. But thats not the point. :)
    I usually get my "cardio" in during the day and lift at night. Different strokes.

Yep, and even if it wasn't your goal, lifting relies more on form than most cardio. Would want to be fresher to minimize injury risk.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    bfreed10 wrote: »
    I'm a female and I just started lifting to lose weight. I'm not doing any cardio currently. I'm about 3 weeks into a lifting program. It only takes me 20-45 minutes to do all the exercises. Is this normal? Will I see results (strength or otherwise?) I feel like it's not enough. Admittedly I don't really do any rest times. I don't have a ton of time to workout so I'm just trying to do every lift/exercise in succession with minimal rest times. Sometimes I break sweat (hello leg day!) other times I don't. Should I expect any real results from this in 3 mos? Lifting 4-5 days a week. I'd say I'm lifting "heavy", I guess. Not like 3lb weights or something. I'm using Dumbbells, machines, etc. usually not less than 10lbs depending on what muscle I'm working.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I usually lift for 45-60 minutes. Integrate cardio when I have time/energy for 15-20 minutes and make it a priority to stretch for at least 20 minutes. I'd increase the pace of your reps so that you're breaking a sweat and tiring the muscles out quicker if you are only going for 20 minutes or so. Try building the weight you are using as well (start with an 8 lb. dumbbell, then to 10 lb., 12 lb. and 15 lb. for your last set)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I do about an hour 5 times a week.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options

the way it was explained to me, and as I mentioned I wasnt sure how much truth there was to that was to do cardio a totally seperate time of day from your strength training. Now I am trying to pack on muscle so running after would just keep burning more fat when that isn't my goal anymore. Yes I know you shouldnt do cardio before lifting because you arent effectively working fresh muscles.