Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

more protien better...or not?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Lordy I'm done for then. I don't aim to hit a certain number of protein, I just naturally gravitate toward high protein foods. I'm often at or over 150g..

I'm over 150g pretty much every single day, have been for quite a while. Usually closer to 200g.

How much do you weigh? I'm 150lbs and today I've had 180g

I'm 6'6" and weigh 242 lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Lordy I'm done for then. I don't aim to hit a certain number of protein, I just naturally gravitate toward high protein foods. I'm often at or over 150g..

I'm over 150g pretty much every single day, have been for quite a while. Usually closer to 200g.

Wowsa's. I get why you eat that amount of protein.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Wowsa's. I get why you eat that amount of protein.
    I second that ;)
  • antennachick
    Options
    My understanding is that protien wont cause kidney issues but those with kidney or other issues maybe required by their doctor to limit protien intake.
  • Irenameansbusiness
    Options
    I've had 2 personal trainers..the first one put me on 200g of protein a day ...I do lots of weights & cardio (more weights than cardio) and 200g of protein (mainly from chicken & fish etc) along with my training kind of beasted me & I feel made me feel like a tank so my protein was lowered to 140g a day & it didn't take long to see a difference .. I didn't look so much of a beast!
    My second p.t runs a bikini fitness training team predominantly for women that compete & she put me on 170g of protein a day & along with my training got great results.
    My focus has always been protein, I'm currently on a very low carb diet but I guess my protein intake is still quite high in comparison to most but I have always achieved great results from counting my macro's & keeping protein high.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    That poster doesn't realize that we all died from protein poisons long ago and they are the only thing still animating our zombie posts.

Braaains-Nutrition-Facts-zombies-29455256-500-491.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    That poster doesn't realize that we all died from protein poisons long ago and they are the only thing still animating our zombie posts.

But is Ophiocordyceps unilateralis a good source of protein?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

But is Ophiocordyceps unilateralis a good source of protein?

I don't know, but if you walk into any healthfood store you seem to be able to find a cordyceps pill that will cure any and all ills. Conspiracy to create zombies? Don't know, but I'm getting my tin-foil hat ready.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but a person I have quite high regard for has been saying the average Western diet contains more than enough protein, and doesn't need extra concern and supplementation when in a deficit.

Thoughts?

I thought I'd mention it because there seems to be great concern these days and at MFP about getting enough protein in a deficit, but 20 years ago, before this trend started, millions of dieting people weren't fading away with muscle wastage.

Bit puzzled.
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but a person I have quite high regard for has been saying the average Western diet contains more than enough protein, and doesn't need extra concern and supplementation when in a deficit.

Thoughts?

I thought I'd mention it because there seems to be great concern these days and at MFP about getting enough protein in a deficit, but 20 years ago, before this trend started, millions of dieting people weren't fading away with muscle wastage.

Bit puzzled.

I'd say the average Western diet contains enough protein for an average overweight, sedentary person (which comprises a large majority of Western society). Or a dieter who isn't terribly concerned about body composition.

I think the issue is pressed when it comes to people who are actively looking to improve their body composition (i.e., lean out while retaining/gaining lean muscle). While people these days aren't "fading away with muscle wastage", there has been considerable research within the last 20 years indicating that more protein is beneficial for preservation/addition of LBM ("more" being more than the DRI, that is). And even more so when in a deficit, and/or when strength training. So we know a lot more now than we did 20 years ago (remember, at one time there were people who said it was beneficial to your health to smoke cigarettes, so research is always evolving and discovering new facts!).

Many trainers/researchers I have quite high regard for (Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Eric Helms, James Krieger, to name a few) are providing recommendations considerably higher than the DRI. Even Menno Henselmans, who advocates for more conservative levels than the guys above, recommends higher than the DRI. I feel pretty confident that the research contrasts with the contention that supplementation (or at least concern/focus) isn't warranted when in a deficit, especially if one is interested in optimizing body composition.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We need enough protein to build and repair tissue but not so much that our kidneys are damaged by excretion of the excess. If you are unsure, have some lab work and a discussion with your doctor.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    We need enough protein to build and repair tissue but not so much that our kidneys are damaged by excretion of the excess. If you are unsure, have some lab work and a discussion with your doctor.

There is no evidence that moderately high protein diets will cause kidney damage.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I first saw the claim that too much protein causes liver/kidney problems, I went looking and I couldn't find an upper limit. I imagine it would have to be a freaking lot of protein to the exclusion of anything else....to show up as a health problem. To run such an experiment would be unethical.

• antennachick
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I first saw the claim that too much protein causes liver/kidney problems, I went looking and I couldn't find an upper limit. I imagine it would have to be a freaking lot of protein to the exclusion of anything else....to show up as a health problem. To run such an experiment would be unethical.
    I also searched for what the upper limit is and found none. I have posted before about wanting more protien in my diet and several people freaked out saying I was setting myself up for liver problems...funny these same people wont think twice about drinking on the weekends lol
    I would imagine they could run a study with a group of people eatting high protein diet verses low protien and then see if there was noticeable changes in thier blood work. But as far as I know they haveny done a study like that (at least not according to Google ha)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Thoughts?

Bit puzzled.

I'm not so sure...we've come along way in the fitness and diet industry

rs_welcome.jpg

I kid...but at the same time, I think we have come a long way in the fitness and diet industry and a ton of research has been done on protein and the preservation of mass. I also think there's more focus in general in the modern era of achieving a certain composition rather than just being "skinny" or whatever. If you look at your average fit person today, they're going to generally have more musculature than they did 20-30 years ago.

That's not to say that I don't agree that some people go over the top...and I personally don't believe that you're going to wither away if we're not getting exactly 1 gram per Lb of LBM...but I do believe the RDI is lacking for people who are active and participate in vigorous activities on a regular basis...particularly weight lifting as these activities breakdown the body and protein is what helps build it back up. It is also very beneficial in recovery...the sooner you can recover, the sooner you can go crush the *kitten* out of it again.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I also searched for what the upper limit is and found none. I have posted before about wanting more protien in my diet and several people freaked out saying I was setting myself up for liver problems...funny these same people wont think twice about drinking on the weekends lol
    I would imagine they could run a study with a group of people eatting high protein diet verses low protien and then see if there was noticeable changes in thier blood work. But as far as I know they haveny done a study like that (at least not according to Google ha)

The problem is trying to run an ethical study trying to find the safe upper limit. To find it out what is too much one must put people's health at risk.

Now, what is the ideal amount of protein is much better known. The weight lifters here are just amazing with their breadth of knowledge on the subject.

I pay attention to protein because my dietitian did, too. Right after weight loss surgery it was difficult to get in 1,200 calories a day, and my dietitian watched my protein intake very carefully. I did suffer brittle/weak nails for many months until I got my protein and supplements worked out. Some of my compatriots lost their hair. So yes, a minimum of protein is a "thing".
  • hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ok ok ok.. one thing you must always remember with protein is!!!!! consume your daily minimum.. thats it!!!
    now if you wish to increase muscle growth im talking bulk then increase protein gradually.. if you want lean muscle stick with your minimum and do it the natural way by hard work and various exercises.. marketing has people freaking about carbs and protein.. your body needs both!!!! your daily minimum is enough for day to day, if you are super active increase those levels slightly.. not 2 or 3 shakes a day!! one jacks your stomach up second its a waist of money lol... everyone here has great advice, just take examples from everyone and test them out..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    hectorh82 wrote: »
    ok ok ok.. one thing you must always remember with protein is!!!!! consume your daily minimum.. thats it!!!
    now if you wish to increase muscle growth im talking bulk then increase protein gradually.. if you want lean muscle stick with your minimum and do it the natural way by hard work and various exercises.. marketing has people freaking about carbs and protein.. your body needs both!!!! your daily minimum is enough for day to day, if you are super active increase those levels slightly.. not 2 or 3 shakes a day!! one jacks your stomach up second its a waist of money lol... everyone here has great advice, just take examples from everyone and test them out..

What?? No. Just no. So much no.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    hectorh82 wrote: »

So much fail I don't even know where to start.

How about we start with you defining what somebody's "daily minimum" is? And what happens if you go above it?
  • antennachick
    Options
    ^ Lol glad you guys got that one! Funny I have been eatting alot of protein and im not "bulking"
This discussion has been closed.