Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Antibiotics and probiotics??

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Omg there's some crap on google when trying to look for info on this stuff!

Baha, yes. Yes there is. The prettiest sites usually have the highest spend on agendas!

First was Mercola, then Chris Kresser then a site seemed ok going through good foods then it came to bad foods....chocolate (warning bells right there lol) sugar, artificial sweeteners, bread, white rice, tea, coffee then meat hmmmmm then it was buy my raw vegan diet book lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    https://youtu.be/ukDga-LIG40

Sorry, couldn't resist

Bahaha what is that movie called?

Blades of Glory. I highly recommend :lol:

• summerkissed
    Kids love napoleon dynamite and bench warmers
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm not usually into comedies, it takes a lot to make laugh. This movie had me cackling
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I was incredibly healthy. I was overprescribed antibiotics and then another med that severely injured me. Definitely take probiotics. Antibiotics can severely change your life. I also agree about sauerkraut or other cultured veggies. Wildbrine is a good company with live and active cultures. Kefir as well. Some people drink kombucha as well. Lots of veggies in general. A book that has been somewhat helpful to me is The Microbiome Solution by Robynne Chutkan. You will be fine with just one course of antibiotics. I was misdiagnosed as having an antibiotic resistant infection when in reality it was antibiotic side effects they were misdiagnosing and prescribing more very powerful and double strength antibiotics and destroying me with along with severe allergic reaction and adverse events. I take New Roots Probiotic Intensity because it's enteric coated and has human strains. I now also take HCP150 because it's human strains, cryoprotected, with 150 billion.
  • summerkissed
    I was incredibly healthy. I was overprescribed antibiotics and then another med that severely injured me. Definitely take probiotics. Antibiotics can severely change your life. I also agree about sauerkraut or other cultured veggies. Wildbrine is a good company with live and active cultures. Kefir as well. Some people drink kombucha as well. Lots of veggies in general. A book that has been somewhat helpful to me is The Microbiome Solution by Robynne Chutkan. You will be fine with just one course of antibiotics. I was misdiagnosed as having an antibiotic resistant infection when in reality it was antibiotic side effects they were misdiagnosing and prescribing more very powerful and double strength antibiotics and destroying me with along with severe allergic reaction and adverse events. I take New Roots Probiotic Intensity because it's enteric coated and has human strains. I now also take HCP150 because it's human strains, cryoprotected, with 150 billion.

I have a heart defect, antibiotics are a precaution to prevent blood infections when I'm going to the dentist, certain operations etc at the moment I have a toothache and that's the easiest way of getting a blood infection so I have to take them. I do have to under go heart surgery in the near future but as it stands the benefits and the risk is at 50/50 for now, I'm due for another transthoracic echocardiogram now.....just have to wait and see the out come of that, I've done pretty well thought his is the first time in 5 years I've needed them but doses are high and for my dentist appointment it's 2days worth in one shot to destroy any nasties in my body. Everyone I've spoken to has said yes take probiotics but then it's who you talk to as when to take them during or after......general consensus here is during!
    I put it in the nutrition debate section because as per normal MFP you get 2 lots of people saying yay or nay
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited March 2016
    I would just go ahead and take them before, during, and after to be on the safe side. Sorry you have to go through so much medical stuff. Within the few months after antibiotics your bacteria grows back and you want to help encourage the good stuff and not the bad stuff. And it can take a full year to recover from antibiotics. We have a balance in our microbiome. The "bad" stuff is a healthy part of our microbiome in small amounts. They only become pathological if they over grow and then they behave differently. Bacteria is actually a very fascinating topic.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    @BinaryPulsar yes I agree. People should check out the hygiene hypothesis. I have Crohn's and that is one of the many possible causes that the scientists believe might cause it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Why not ask the prescribing doctor this question?

I'd have to go back to the doctor for that and doctors visits are expensive and he is over an hours drive away then waiting time, drive back there's my whole day gone. I've been told to take them before and I've been told not to take them before.....general consensus is take them but when do I take them as they are not cheap and if the course if antibiotics is going to destroy the probiotics then it's a waste of money anyway :neutral:

Can't you just call and ask him/her? I don't know where you are from but I could just pick the phone up and call my doctor to ask a question like that free of charge.

No you can't just call your doctor here, you get told to make an appointment...doctors are too busy to take calls as well as seeing patients

Can't you call the clinic, and have a member of the staff relay the question and answer? That's part of the jobs of all the supporting staff, at least in these parts.

Or if your doctor has an electronic health record, virtually all of them have patient portals where you can securely message your provider.

For that matter if your doctor tries to nickel and dime you for a few seconds on the phone, I'd seek a new doctor ASAP. Mine is happy to answer my questions (typically via his RN or PA staff).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited March 2016
    Definitely take them. Especially because strong antibiotics can cause not only intestinal problems but yeast infections and probiotics will help to prevent that from happening.
  • summerkissed
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Why not ask the prescribing doctor this question?

I'd have to go back to the doctor for that and doctors visits are expensive and he is over an hours drive away then waiting time, drive back there's my whole day gone. I've been told to take them before and I've been told not to take them before.....general consensus is take them but when do I take them as they are not cheap and if the course if antibiotics is going to destroy the probiotics then it's a waste of money anyway :neutral:

Can't you just call and ask him/her? I don't know where you are from but I could just pick the phone up and call my doctor to ask a question like that free of charge.

No you can't just call your doctor here, you get told to make an appointment...doctors are too busy to take calls as well as seeing patients

Can't you call the clinic, and have a member of the staff relay the question and answer? That's part of the jobs of all the supporting staff, at least in these parts.

Or if your doctor has an electronic health record, virtually all of them have patient portals where you can securely message your provider.

For that matter if your doctor tries to nickel and dime you for a few seconds on the phone, I'd seek a new doctor ASAP. Mine is happy to answer my questions (typically via his RN or PA staff).

I honestly don't know of any doctors here that do that, my doctor usually has a 2-3 week wait just to see him specifically. If it's something more serious you just see any old doctor that may have a spare appointment and are usually put on the cancellation list and have to wait for a phone call to get a same day appointment. If they took phone calls they would be bombarded daily. I don't have the luxury of changing doctors surgeries we only have one in town.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Definitely take them. Especially because strong antibiotics can cause not only intestinal problems but yeast infections and probiotics will help to prevent that from happening.

Can also cause skin problems, histamine intolerance, and all kinds of disorders. The Microbiome is the source of all of our health and even our ability to digest food and actually obtain nutrition. I know this first hand now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    @BinaryPulsar yes I agree. People should check out the hygiene hypothesis. I have Crohn's and that is one of the many possible causes that the scientists believe might cause it.

Yeah! I have been reading a lot about this.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Just wait you live in Australia? I would just ask my local pharmacist/chemist for free, since they dispensed the antibiotics. Once I have seen the GP and been given the script for medicine I always refer to the local pharmacist for further medicine related advice.
    In my opinion they tend to know a lot more about medications than the GPs do.
  • summerkissed
    irenehb wrote: »
    Just wait you live in Australia? I would just ask my local pharmacist/chemist for free, since they dispensed the antibiotics. Once I have seen the GP and been given the script for medicine I always refer to the local pharmacist for further medicine related advice.
    In my opinion they tend to know a lot more about medications than the GPs do.

Yes I'm in Australia :smile: and Yes I have asked the pharmacist he said it won't hurt but wasn't able to answer wether it would be of benefit now compared to after the course was finished, and couldn't be certain that the good bacteria would live long enough to be of benefit while I was taking the antibiotics.....expensive "it won't hurt" think I'm going to buy the cheaper shelf ones $6 (they are half price atm) compared to $32 but at the same time really increase my insoluble fibre and fermented foods then get the good ones as soon as my course of antibiotics are finished!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Can also cause skin problems, histamine intolerance, and all kinds of disorders. The Microbiome is the source of all of our health and even our ability to digest food and actually obtain nutrition. I know this first hand now.

We can live without a microbiome in our gut. Mice can survive with a sterilized gut - no bacteria. Interestingly the fibers and such becoming indigestible from that means that giving them bacteria after having a sterilized gut causes weight gain.
    The biggest issue that would present itself to a human with a sterilized gut would be a major risk of vitamin k deficiency. Infants starting with a sterile gut and no vitamin k producers is why we have the modern practice of giving newborns a vitamin k shot. Secondary to that, eating fiber would be problematic for a sterile gut, but survivable.
  • BinaryPulsar
    senecarr wrote: »

We can live without a microbiome in our gut. Mice can survive with a sterilized gut - no bacteria. Interestingly the fibers and such becoming indigestible from that means that giving them bacteria after having a sterilized gut causes weight gain.
    The biggest issue that would present itself to a human with a sterilized gut would be a major risk of vitamin k deficiency. Infants starting with a sterile gut and no vitamin k producers is why we have the modern practice of giving newborns a vitamin k shot. Secondary to that, eating fiber would be problematic for a sterile gut, but survivable.

How long would you live? Would it be a happy life? How would you have a sterilized gut? Something is going to grow there unless you are doing something to keep it sterilized, and that is surely going to have severe side effects based on what we currently have available. After antibiotics I didn't gain weight. For me it's the opposite. Food causes my belly to swell to look two months pregnant, passes through me undigested, I weigh 95 pounds even eating 2500 calories a day, and lost the muscle I spent three years lifting weights for. I have extreme food intolerance (react as if allergic), chronic nerve pain in my face, and my flawless skin covered in cystic acne (although that has mostly gone away now after six months). But, I was injured by multiple antibiotics and a topical vasoconstrictor that was wrongly prescribed to me. So, I doubt anyone would be happy living wih this. Going from healthy and happy and fit. To this. From being over prescribed meds. It was preventable
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

How long would you live? Would it be a happy life? How would you have a sterilized gut? Something is going to grow there unless you are doing something to keep it sterilized, and that is surely going to have severe side effects based on what we currently have available. After antibiotics I didn't gain weight. For me it's the opposite. Food causes my belly to swell to look two months pregnant, passes through me undigested, I weigh 95 pounds even eating 2500 calories a day, and lost the muscle I spent three years lifting weights for. I have extreme food intolerance (react as if allergic), chronic nerve pain in my face, and my flawless skin covered in cystic acne (although that has mostly gone away now after six months). But, I was injured by multiple antibiotics and a topical vasoconstrictor that was wrongly prescribed to me. So, I doubt anyone would be happy living wih this. Going from healthy and happy and fit. To this. From being over prescribed meds. It was preventable

I'm sorry about what happened to you, and I'd agree gut bacteria is important to health, but I do contest they are necessary for the ability to digest, obtain nutrients, and the source of all health. I think a fair deal of the gut health research out there is being misconstrued by laymen and semi-informed based on correlative relationships being taken for causal ones. For example, people think a varied gut flora creates health, while I'm more inclined to posit that it probably just reflects it.
This discussion has been closed.