Low budget... Like really low

ZeldaBeastTM
ZeldaBeastTM Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have barely any money to correctly eat right. Any one know any good recipes that are cheap. I mainly suck at breakfast foods and lunch. I'm trying to eat right. :/

P.S. I will add anyone willing to support me and I will support you

Replies

• EverForward88
    EverForward88 Posts: 1 Member
    I like sticking to the same meals and or foods when I try to reel in my spending. Here's a few ideas

BREAKFAST
    Oatmeal- You can mix in a variety of things and keep things interesting. Fruits fresh or frozen, raisans or just plain old sugar or honey or cinnamon
    Eggs- Again same idea, through some vegetables and make a frittata or omlette. Breakfast sandwich or wraps with
    Parfaits- Whatever yogurts on sale during the week with a cheap fruit like Bananas skip the granola and top with whatever u have on hand

Lunch- Sandwiches have been my go to lately. Tuna or eggs or low fat cuts of turkey

Dinner- I'm boring so rice rice and more rice they're pretty cheap and taste great with stirfry meals. You can throw in frozen vegetables

Lentil and/ or bean stews or curries taste great with rice as well and are a good source of protein.

Shop the sales if you can but my key items that keep me going are rice oatmeal frozen vegetables and eggs. My protein options pretty much are dependent on (a ) what's on sale and my preference for the week.

Hope that helps
  • ZeldaBeastTM
    Thank you SO much
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    What she said. I'd also invest in bags and bags of frozen veggies.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Eggs are good and fairly cheap. I always check the marked down meat bins - but still check to make sure it's in your budget. Sales. Go shopping more often, buy less food per trip. If there's no good sale don't buy. Dried beans, lentils, split peas, brown rice. See if you can find bones- they're in the freezer section where I go. Some of the bones (i think it's the ham hocks) have 2-3 servings of meat for less than $2. Plus you can make broth with the bones afterwards! IDK where you live, but the biggest bang for my buck was SAARS, Grocery Outlet, Winco, and local discount grocery stores. Look into Vegetarian and Vegan recipes- meat and dairy are usually what's most expensive. Also invest in good quality freezer bags so when you do find meat or something on sale you can freeze any leftovers. Good luck!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    As always Jack Monroe. She lived through having no money and she is a great cook.
    Her site is aptly called cooking on a bootstrap
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Frozen fruits and vegetables are cheaper than fresh ones. Buy in bulk if you can. I also usually buy an extra pack of meat when it's on sale then just freeze it.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    ^^^ What everyone is saying! Buy on sale, shop around at different grocers. I try not to waste much either so if I've got a bunch of veges in the bottom of the fridge that aren't tempting to eat fresh i usually trim them down and throw them in a soup pot, blend them with some stock cubes, add some spice and a can of beans and have taco soup!

But yeah: eggs, oatmeal, bulk meats on sale, make soups for lunches and freeze so you're not throwing stuff out. Your freezer is your best friend!
  • batman12
    batman12 Posts: 16 Member
    Eggs, as said above, are a cheap way to get some protein. Tuna is $0.75 per can at Walmart here in Florida (their brand). Dry lentils are cheap and filling. Frozen vegetables are a good suggestion like jplinis stated. If you have a Dollar Tree store nearby you can save a lot of money on spices and condiments to make bland meals more palatable, just keep an eye on the sodium content. The Dollar Tree by me has 8oz. (after draining) cans of mackerel for, obviously, a dollar apiece and that's an excellent source of protein with some omegas. Definitely buy in bulk whenever possible; you can always freeze what you're not going to use quickly.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Anyone mentioned beans yet? Beans and rice. Yes and oatmeal and popcorn by the kernel. Bulk lentils.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited March 2016
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

The blog is filled with affordable, inexpensive and yummy recipes with prices listed for each and every ingredients.
    Do go and check it out!
  • ZeldaBeastTM
    Thank you so much everyone
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    I have barely any money to correctly eat right. Any one know any good recipes that are cheap. I mainly suck at breakfast foods and lunch. I'm trying to eat right.

how much money?

as a single person I was able to eat 3000 calories per day (probably way more than you need) on $140 per month. It wasn't the tastiest, but it was all good wholesome food with the proper nutrients.

top foods: rice, beans, lentils, eggs, peanut butter. frozen green veggies, onions, potato, cabbage. bananas, milk. chicken and pork (cheaper cuts). butter, olive oil.
  • ZeldaBeastTM
    drachfit wrote: »
    I have barely any money to correctly eat right. Any one know any good recipes that are cheap. I mainly suck at breakfast foods and lunch. I'm trying to eat right.

how much money?

as a single person I was able to eat 3000 calories per day (probably way more than you need) on $140 per month. It wasn't the tastiest, but it was all good wholesome food with the proper nutrients.

top foods: rice, beans, lentils, eggs, peanut butter. frozen green veggies, onions, potato, cabbage. bananas, milk. chicken and pork (cheaper cuts). butter, olive oil.

Well I only have $355 a month but I have to feed a child
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Use the money you spend on food now to buy less of the same food. Or,
    Use the money you spend on food now to buy other food. Or a combination. This really isn't good food vs bad food.
    Don't start with recipes. Go to Recipes board after you've learnt what constitutes nutritious foods. Think food groups, balance, variety, needs. Use your food diary, your fridge, freezer, pantry, plan meals, write shopping lists. Don't think high end, health food, wild caught, organic. Think seasonal, store brand, unit price, single ingredent. Don't think eat right, think eat well. Buy food you like and eat it up.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Ask the butcher at your local grocery store when they mark their meats down. The grocery store I pass every morning actually marks down meat at 6 a.m. every morning. So I know when I go there at 7 a.m., I am likely to find some good meat deals to feed my family of three.

Also, look for a discount warehouse store. I have one near me that i stock up on things like low sodium veggies, rice, pasta, bread, and some seasonings.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Everything everyone else said. Also, meal plan. Before I shop, I pick out our 7 dinner recipes for the week. I also buy exactly what I need or plan to use all of what I buy. If one recipe calls for 1/2 a bag of spinach, I make sure I have another recipe planned that week to use the other 1/2 bag or plan a spinach salad so nothing is wasted. If I have bananas that are about to go bad, I freeze them to use in other recipes or make up a batch of my favorite *kitten* pot steel cut oats that include them. If I'm making soup, I make 1/2 the recipe or plan to freeze it and incorporate it into the meal plan another week - one free meal! woohoo!! I do my best to make sure left overs are used or only make the amount I know we will eat to get the most bang for my buck. Also, stop buying as much processed junk as possible. 1lb of potato chips costs $6.86 and has a mountain of calories. You could buy a 3lb bag of apples almost any time of the year for $2.99, less in the fall. We buy whole kernels of popcorn & make it on the stove Occasionally pretzels (I know, not overly healthy, but low in calories & cheap!) to satisfy our snackiness. Buy what's in season & on sale. Buy up extra when its on sale if you can. It's possible! We feed our family of four mostly whole foods, a lot of organic for $125 or less a week. And I don't coupon.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I think I can eat good food cheaper than junk food. Breakfast I get a $6.00 box of Quaker oats from Costco, Its so big I can eat on it for several months. I add almond milk, fresh Strawberries, Blueberries, banana, chia seeds and walnuts. So I would guess about $13.00 a week maybe a little more if you can't buy in bulk with membership. Frozen fruit can save some more but doesn't look as nice after cooking. Lunch a low carb wrap with some meat and guacamole. Whether a wrap or sandwich you can't beat getting a rotisserie chicken, once again Costco has them for about $5.00. You can eat on it for dinner and then pick the meat off for lunches, several days worth. For veggies grill bake some fresh with a little olive oil.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Also not sure why c rock pot got started out??
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Just adding, some stores offer rewards programs, I'm in Canada where food tends to cost a fair bit, some stores here offer a card you scan before you pay for your food, it gives you offers for points based on what you buy. IE 250 pts per dollar spent on bananas, then the points equal free food. I've gotten 100s of dollars free of food this way.

Last year SO's hours got cut right down and we fed two adults and a toddler on 300 a month. It can be done, lots of beans and rice, pasta bulked up with veggies, soups and stews. Make a plan, helps SO much!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Dry beans may be more work but they are much cheaper than canned and you can control the sodium.