Being short sucks for dieting

Options

Replies

• iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I CAN'T EAT WHATEVER I WANT... I tried that and got up to 217 so the problem is the same for everyone....... we all have different issues and that is why we are here, to learn to not eat everything we want...... advantage to being short-you lose 5 pounds and everyone notices, when your tall, you lose 10 pounds and NO ONE notices........
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ManiacalLaughManiacalLaugh
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calorie

my bf and I split a meal, that seems to work really well. that way I can eat a few bites of the high calorie stuff, stick to the lower calorie for the bulk and we have no leftovers! of course, you have to want to eat the same thing....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Using height as an excuse that weight loss is more difficult, isn't really valid.

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this.

I'm 5' 1.75" and 139#. I maintain on 1900 calories. Saying "I'm a shortie and am so limited on how much I can eat!" is an excuse. It's as bad as females b!tching about not being able to eat as much as males. Stop it. The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, 134 and my BMR is 1330sh and tdee in the 1600 range (I am chronically ill so sedentary). I lift 3x a week no cardio (except walking as transportation) so I definitely can't eat whatever I want. I also have never fit into any clothes below size 4 even when anorexic at bmi 16.0. Size zero is an impossibility even though I know shorter people who weight more than me (I'm 134) who can wear much smaller clothes :(
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    iangelab wrote: »
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calorie

my bf and I split a meal, that seems to work really well. that way I can eat a few bites of the high calorie stuff, stick to the lower calorie for the bulk and we have no leftovers! of course, you have to want to eat the same thing....

Yes, because my almost 6 foot husband wants to split his meal? um no. Not happening.

I get those that are 5'5 can't eat the same as someone that is 6 feet tall. I get that. So reduce that weight by another half a foot lol. Now you are really having to reduce the allowance on calories daily.

I don't think anyone said anything about those that are taller being able to eat whatever they want?!?. unless I missed that part. You might be reading into things that are not even posted.

I can't drop 5 lbs in one week like my friends who are taller. I can drop maybe .5 a lbs when I push hard. The BMI drop will be around the same, but the lbs wont be. So we will both take the same amount (BMI wise) to drop the same "look" amount. I just have to work harder and eat way less then her :/ boo

And you are exactly right! No one notices if you go up or down 10 pounds, but EVERYONE notices if I go up 10 lbs when you are under 5 feet!
    You know those dreaded 10 lbs taller people complain are so hard to drop? That is pretty much what weight loss feels for most short people. That part of dieting when you have to push the hardest constantly to get any wiggle out of the weight. That..

someone this short can't just reduce how much they eat to drop the weight. I have to also add in workout. Period. I have seem MANY friends drop calories to 1500 a day ( omg I could never afford that many in a day) and still drop 1 lbs a week without changing any other lifestyle habits. I would have to drop to 700 cals a day to do that lol Just not viable.

If you haven't been there since you were 10-11 years old, you can't relate and understand. Sorry.

And gawd, let us horizontally challenged complain a bit! Is it that hard to just empathize with someone these days and let them get it off their chest without chastising them and trying to prove a point?

oi. :D

I just want a thread to complain .. mutually, with others that feel they want to complain about being short lol so hard.. so hard..

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and so fine boned and small framed that I can't go over 130lb without losing shape, even though I have a low body fat percentage.
    I also have to resist food all the time, have a young son who has dinners twice the size of mine and needs constant high calorie snacks.
    I also get a lot of comfort from food, or used to!
    My appetite is ginormous!
    The struggle is real for all of us....short or tall.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This has been an entertaining thread to follow this morning!

I'm 5'1" (almost) and maintain on around 1700 a day. My 6'2" husband needs to put on weight so he's getting about 3500. He can't cook so I do all the shopping, food prep, etc. Normally doesn't bother me to serve him up double my portion, add extra cheese, butter, etc. to his food. but the ice cream makes me so sad - dishing up his 2 cups and my 1/2 cup... it just looks rather pathetic.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There are not too many people that can eat whatever they want, regardless of their height, gender, age.
    We probably all know people that eat a lot more than we do and there is nothing that anyone can do about that, it is just the way it is. It is all about choices. Choose to eat more and probably gain weight, or stay within your calorie allotment and lose weight or maintain depending on where you are at.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and 120 lbs and I maintain at approx. 1650 calories. I really wish I could eat more, but alas...
  • majigurl
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and so fine boned and small framed that I can't go over 130lb without losing shape, even though I have a low body fat percentage.
    I also have to resist food all the time, have a young son who has dinners twice the size of mine and needs constant high calorie snacks.
    I also get a lot of comfort from food, or used to!
    My appetite is ginormous!
    The struggle is real for all of us....short or tall.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.

It sucks. It really does.

• majigurl
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I'm 5'1" (almost) and maintain on around 1700 a day. My 6'2" husband needs to put on weight so he's getting about 3500. He can't cook so I do all the shopping, food prep, etc. Normally doesn't bother me to serve him up double my portion, add extra cheese, butter, etc. to his food. but the ice cream makes me so sad - dishing up his 2 cups and my 1/2 cup... it just looks rather pathetic.

Yes! the ice cream!
    My husband gets 3 regular scoops. If I have calculated in for ice cream, it's 1/2 a scoop at best lol.

Making sure you keep all your nutritional requirements on a diet of 1000-1100 can be tricky. I wish I could do 1700 cals a day. I know my hubby doesn't eat 3500 cals a day. That has to suck to watch lol

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    5'2 here, 46 years old...I LOVE being short! For many reasons! I don't know if being tall would have made losing the 80 lbs I've lost easier or not, but I doubt it. I know quite a few taller people, family included, who can't (won't) lose weight. In the end, the battle is real, regardless of your height. Eat less, move more, and be thoughtful about what, and how much of it, you are consuming. Don't worry about the other (taller) girl, she's wishing she were YOU. xo
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I would look at it from another perspective: I'm 5'3", if I lose 5 lbs it makes a big difference in my appearance. One of my siblings is 5'9" he needs to tell people he lost 5 lbs because nobody notices it...

This exactly...7 lbs off my frame is very noticeable, whereas my much bigger siblings could knock off 20, and not be able to see the change as well.
  • majigurl
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and 120 lbs and I maintain at approx. 1650 calories. I really wish I could eat more, but alas...

Well, we can.. we just have to work out extra hard to account for those calories :/

but yes!! I hear you!! sucks !! lol

• JustMissTracy
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Yeah we don't need as many calories I get that but eating is pleasurable so it's fun to do it, do I need to explain that?

You don't need to explain that...lol...the majority of people on this site feel the same way, most of the time. That's how we got here to begin with...lol
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »

Yes! the ice cream!
    My husband gets 3 regular scoops. If I have calculated in for ice cream, it's 1/2 a scoop at best lol.

Making sure you keep all your nutritional requirements on a diet of 1000-1100 can be tricky. I wish I could do 1700 cals a day. I know my hubby doesn't eat 3500 cals a day. That has to suck to watch lol

When I was losing (I lost 125+ pounds) I was really careful with nutrition, pretty much made every calorie count. It was a little harder then to try to keep his calories up and mine down - now I'm pretty used to it. It was good training for maintenance!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »

That doesn't even make any sense. We shorties can't eat very large amounts of food without getting fat, but we get full on smaller amounts. Tall people eat more because they need more.

Tell that to my stomach! Height has nothing to do with how quickly you get full. Which is why there are obese short people.

I agree with the original sentiment it sucks being short. I need more calories! lol

I'm assuming my stomach will get used to having less in it and shrink appropriately. Please let this be soon!

It will.....keep moving, and keep doing what you're doing; your body has no choice but to respond eventually xo
  • majigurl
    Options

Yes! the ice cream!

When I was losing (I lost 125+ pounds) I was really careful with nutrition, pretty much made every calorie count. It was a little harder then to try to keep his calories up and mine down - now I'm pretty used to it. It was good training for maintenance!

Awesome job!!! :) Love the attitude!

I'm think I'm still hangry over here haha.. going to go have half an apple because a full one has too many calories for my pettiness.. :p

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts I came to the conclusion that height is not the real problem. Loving food too much, wanting to eat all the time, having a big appetite THAT is the problem!

What about eating to live instead of living to eat? What about controlling eating habits instead of felling overwhelmed because one can't eat everything all the time? What about doing someproductive when one is bored instead of just thinking about food?

I find that for me being short and small sucks because I can't reach for things, because I can't find clothes that fit me properly and I have to pay extra to have them altered. Because I can't wear too many prints and designs without looking like a clown. Because I can't lift as heavy as I would like. But it never occurred to me that being short sucked because I couldn't eat like a bigger/tall person.

I think that instead of ranting about our size, we need to have a change of attitude toward food.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    iangelab wrote: »

Yes, because my almost 6 foot husband wants to split his meal? um no. Not happening.

I get those that are 5'5 can't eat the same as someone that is 6 feet tall. I get that. So reduce that weight by another half a foot lol. Now you are really having to reduce the allowance on calories daily.

I don't think anyone said anything about those that are taller being able to eat whatever they want?!?. unless I missed that part. You might be reading into things that are not even posted.

I can't drop 5 lbs in one week like my friends who are taller. I can drop maybe .5 a lbs when I push hard. The BMI drop will be around the same, but the lbs wont be. So we will both take the same amount (BMI wise) to drop the same "look" amount. I just have to work harder and eat way less then her :/ boo

And you are exactly right! No one notices if you go up or down 10 pounds, but EVERYONE notices if I go up 10 lbs when you are under 5 feet!
    You know those dreaded 10 lbs taller people complain are so hard to drop? That is pretty much what weight loss feels for most short people. That part of dieting when you have to push the hardest constantly to get any wiggle out of the weight. That..

someone this short can't just reduce how much they eat to drop the weight. I have to also add in workout. Period. I have seem MANY friends drop calories to 1500 a day ( omg I could never afford that many in a day) and still drop 1 lbs a week without changing any other lifestyle habits. I would have to drop to 700 cals a day to do that lol Just not viable.

If you haven't been there since you were 10-11 years old, you can't relate and understand. Sorry.

And gawd, let us horizontally challenged complain a bit! Is it that hard to just empathize with someone these days and let them get it off their chest without chastising them and trying to prove a point?

oi. :D

I just want a thread to complain .. mutually, with others that feel they want to complain about being short lol so hard.. so hard..

Sounds rough! Still not sure how an adult can complain about their height..lol...you've never been taller, so it's not like you've lost anything! If we're heavy, at any height, it's because we ate too much AT OUR HEIGHT. Eat less, move more....log faithfully, lift weights if you can....it works the same for everyone.