Being short sucks for dieting

Options

Replies

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    omg.. seriously guys.. those that are complaining about the shorts complaining, are taking this WAY too seriously.. B)

It's ranting.. about ... weight loss.. yeah.. so it's height deprived people complaining and possibly laughing a bit about it..

lol Chill out!!! have fun a bit..

Complaining and moaning CAN be just that, complaining and moaning.. but it can be fun if you don't' take yourself so seriously. Helps ease this weight loss journey. :D

• Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and while having a smaller calorie goal sucks (mine is 1200... Purely because it can't go lower!) I'm making it work. If anything, I play it like a game. Even fit in a Mcdonalds- i went for the 20 chicken nuggets instead of a meal which was less calories but still filled me up. Left a bit of wiggle room for a snack later as well.

I've found that as I have restricted my eating my appetite has decreased as well. I've stepped it up on the working out side as well so I'm plodding along at 1-1.5lbs a week loss. The numbers on the scale and how I look and feel trump any desire for a chocolate bar!

If I want chocolate though, I'll make it work ;)
  • majigurl
    Options
    Alarae21 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3, and while having a smaller calorie goal sucks (mine is 1200... Purely because it can't go lower!) I'm making it work. If anything, I play it like a game. Even fit in a Mcdonalds- i went for the 20 chicken nuggets instead of a meal which was less calories but still filled me up. Left a bit of wiggle room for a snack later as well.

I've found that as I have restricted my eating my appetite has decreased as well. I've stepped it up on the working out side as well so I'm plodding along at 1-1.5lbs a week loss. The numbers on the scale and how I look and feel trump any desire for a chocolate bar!

If I want chocolate though, I'll make it work ;)

I avoid mc donalds now, because ordering the kids meal makes me feel ridiculous lol

But honestly, I have their wraps with no fries and water. That's it. You DO get used to it. Though I do miss the big macs, fries and coke, I don't think anyone should eat that much in one sitting lol

Can I have your chocolate?! lol

I haven't had a chocolate bar in months. I did have a piece of chocolate on valentines day woot!!

You really do have to eat more like a child though than what most adults should be eating ( I say should, because most adults eat more than they should be also )

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    I'm 5'0" and 120 lbs and I maintain at approx. 1650 calories. I really wish I could eat more, but alas...

Well, we can.. we just have to work out extra hard to account for those calories :/

but yes!! I hear you!! sucks !! lol
    True, on workout days I can eat anywhere from 200-300 extra calories. But darn it takes a lot to earn it. LOL.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Gosh I don't get why people are not getting it. Prepackaged foods or restaurant food doesn't come in 'short' size. It's the same size for everyone. The same donut for a 5' woman will have much more of an impact than for a 6' man.

Why is that so hard to get? And don't come tell me that they don't have to eat the whole donut...

I'm 5'5" and average and feel for the shorter ladies, I really do.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Gosh I don't get why people are not getting it. Prepackaged foods or restaurant food doesn't come in 'short' size. It's the same size for everyone. The same donut for a 5' woman will have much more of an impact than for a 6' man.

Why is that so hard to get? And don't come tell me that they don't have to eat the whole donut...

This is what I was trying to say. OF COURSE it's easy to trim the portions down to "short size" when you're making your own food. When you're going out, it's an issue, and it usually takes "guess work" by leaving some of your portion on your plate, or cutting something out elsewhere. Not impossible, but it's a little gripe-worthy when your partner can shovel down the whole serving plus dessert with the same proportional impact to their calorie count.
  • majigurl
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

lol @ "don't eat the whole donut"

If I get The Donut, I'm eating The Donut. :D

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    Using height as an excuse that weight loss is more difficult, isn't really valid.

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this.

I'm 5' 1.75" and 139#. I maintain on 1900 calories. Saying "I'm a shortie and am so limited on how much I can eat!" is an excuse. It's as bad as females b!tching about not being able to eat as much as males. Stop it. The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.

This. It is right up there with my other pet peeve of women who complain about or are seemingly surprised about weight fluctuations due to their period.

I always find the belief that if you are a petite female of a certain age that you are doomed to a lifetime of eating 1200 cals in order to lose weight to be really disheartening to hear because it is so prevalent on this site.

I'm 5'2, 41 years old, and I lost 30 lbs eating between 1500-1900 cals. I'm now maintaining around 120 lbs and my TDEE is 2200 per my FitBit. I have a desk job and my exercise is walking (15K steps/day) and light weights a couple times a week.

• majigurl
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Using height as an excuse that weight loss is more difficult, isn't really valid.

I'm 5' 1.75" and 139#. I maintain on 1900 calories. Saying "I'm a shortie and am so limited on how much I can eat!" is an excuse. It's as bad as females b!tching about not being able to eat as much as males. Stop it. The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.

This. It is right up there with my other pet peeve of women who complain about or are seemingly surprised about weight fluctuations due to their period.

I always find the belief that if you are a petite female of a certain age that you are doomed to a lifetime of eating 1200 cals in order to lose weight to be really disheartening to hear because it is so prevalent on this site.

I'm 5'2, 41 years old, and I lost 30 lbs eating between 1500-1900 cals. I'm now maintaining around 120 lbs and my TDEE is 2200 per my FitBit. I have a desk job and my exercise is walking (15K steps/day) and light weights a couple times a week.

You tower over me lol

I would make you feel like a giant :D haha.

• iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options

iangelab wrote: »
    ManiacalLaughManiacalLaugh
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calorie

my bf and I split a meal, that seems to work really well. that way I can eat a few bites of the high calorie stuff, stick to the lower calorie for the bulk and we have no leftovers! of course, you have to want to eat the same thing....

Yes, because my almost 6 foot husband wants to split his meal? um no. Not happening.

I get those that are 5'5 can't eat the same as someone that is 6 feet tall. I get that. So reduce that weight by another half a foot lol. Now you are really having to reduce the allowance on calories daily.

I don't think anyone said anything about those that are taller being able to eat whatever they want?!?. unless I missed that part. You might be reading into things that are not even posted.

I can't drop 5 lbs in one week like my friends who are taller. I can drop maybe .5 a lbs when I push hard. The BMI drop will be around the same, but the lbs wont be. So we will both take the same amount (BMI wise) to drop the same "look" amount. I just have to work harder and eat way less then her :/ boo

And you are exactly right! No one notices if you go up or down 10 pounds, but EVERYONE notices if I go up 10 lbs when you are under 5 feet!
    You know those dreaded 10 lbs taller people complain are so hard to drop? That is pretty much what weight loss feels for most short people. That part of dieting when you have to push the hardest constantly to get any wiggle out of the weight. That..

someone this short can't just reduce how much they eat to drop the weight. I have to also add in workout. Period. I have seem MANY friends drop calories to 1500 a day ( omg I could never afford that many in a day) and still drop 1 lbs a week without changing any other lifestyle habits. I would have to drop to 700 cals a day to do that lol Just not viable.

If you haven't been there since you were 10-11 years old, you can't relate and understand. Sorry.

And gawd, let us horizontally challenged complain a bit! Is it that hard to just empathize with someone these days and let them get it off their chest without chastising them and trying to prove a point?

oi. :D

I just want a thread to complain .. mutually, with others that feel they want to complain about being short lol so hard.. so hard..

complain away..... just realize us tall people have the same struggles...... and my bf is 6'2" fyi..... (he is one of those can't gain a pound guys so it works for us)
  • Scaredycat2
    Scaredycat2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.
    So much this!! I've lost count of the times I've had to climb up the shelves at the supermarket to reach something!!
  • majigurl
    Options
    ManiacalLaughManiacalLaugh
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calorie

my bf and I split a meal, that seems to work really well. that way I can eat a few bites of the high calorie stuff, stick to the lower calorie for the bulk and we have no leftovers! of course, you have to want to eat the same thing....

Yes, because my almost 6 foot husband wants to split his meal? um no. Not happening.

I get those that are 5'5 can't eat the same as someone that is 6 feet tall. I get that. So reduce that weight by another half a foot lol. Now you are really having to reduce the allowance on calories daily.

I don't think anyone said anything about those that are taller being able to eat whatever they want?!?. unless I missed that part. You might be reading into things that are not even posted.

I can't drop 5 lbs in one week like my friends who are taller. I can drop maybe .5 a lbs when I push hard. The BMI drop will be around the same, but the lbs wont be. So we will both take the same amount (BMI wise) to drop the same "look" amount. I just have to work harder and eat way less then her :/ boo

And you are exactly right! No one notices if you go up or down 10 pounds, but EVERYONE notices if I go up 10 lbs when you are under 5 feet!
    You know those dreaded 10 lbs taller people complain are so hard to drop? That is pretty much what weight loss feels for most short people. That part of dieting when you have to push the hardest constantly to get any wiggle out of the weight. That..

someone this short can't just reduce how much they eat to drop the weight. I have to also add in workout. Period. I have seem MANY friends drop calories to 1500 a day ( omg I could never afford that many in a day) and still drop 1 lbs a week without changing any other lifestyle habits. I would have to drop to 700 cals a day to do that lol Just not viable.

If you haven't been there since you were 10-11 years old, you can't relate and understand. Sorry.

And gawd, let us horizontally challenged complain a bit! Is it that hard to just empathize with someone these days and let them get it off their chest without chastising them and trying to prove a point?

oi. :D

I just want a thread to complain .. mutually, with others that feel they want to complain about being short lol so hard.. so hard..

complain away..... just realize us tall people have the same struggles...... and my bf is 6'2" fyi..... (he is one of those can't gain a pound guys so it works for us)

so come complain away with us for a bit lol.. Will call you.. Tall short :wink:

I don't think anyone thinks any part of this journey is easy.. it's just nice to vent and get it off ones shoulders.. you know?

And then laugh and poke at it.. We all know this is first world problems. I have more food than I know what to do with and that is my PROBLEM. wow.. poor me..

But sometimes.. kicking back and just lightening up is good :)

I still need a zero calorie chocolate bar to be created.

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.
    So much this!! I've lost count of the times I've had to climb up the shelves at the supermarket to reach something!!

Climbing on the counter strengthens arms and core and probably burns a half a cal per climb B) Thus climb away fellow shorties!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Climbing on the counter strenghtens arms and core and probably burns a half a cal per climb B) Thus climb away fellow shorties!

LOL, you guys are cracking me up :)

I don't climb the shelves at the store, but I am mighty tempted sometimes when things are on the top shelf.

The clerk will ask if you found everything ok, and I will answer to myself, yeah, but I couldn't reach it.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

So much this! Bitching about being female and how it's harder to lose weight is bad for all females.
    As for the short thing, meh I've always been jealous of my short friends. If they lose 10 pounds they go down 2 dress sizes. If I lose 10 lbs you can't even tell (although I admit the same applies to gaining 10lbs). But it takes so long to go down a dress size when you're tall.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.

That doesn't even make any sense. We shorties can't eat very large amounts of food without getting fat, but we get full on smaller amounts. Tall people eat more because they need more.

5'3 is more like 1.60.

I wish, but I do not get full on smaller amounts. I can keep up with the men in my life in terms of appetite. I'd love to eat like the dainty, 5ft nothing that I am! :-)
  • DBaker817
    DBaker817 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat something every few hours. I'm also short and I find that eating 3 meals with a small snack in between helps to curb my hunger and keep my craving at bay too. (for the most part) Always try to have some sort of protein though with each meal and snack.
  • Scaredycat2
    Scaredycat2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Climbing on the counter strengthens arms and core and probably burns a half a cal per climb B) Thus climb away fellow shorties!

Time to create an exercise database entry for "shelf-climbing, supermarket, 2 tiers"? :smiley:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You're not that short.

I'm 4'11 5/8", and I don't have a problem staying lean. I watch my intake, work out regularly, and have reasonable treats that won't derail my progress. There are just as many tall and average-height people who are overweight as there are short people. It's more about your lifestyle than your height.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    yes!! I'm under 5 feet.. about the bloody size of a 5th grader :neutral: .. it SUCKS.

You have to workout harder.. you have to eat less. You can't eat like other adults do and maintain. impossible. lol

I'm pissy about it also haha.. I know there is nothing I can do about it. I get that in the grand scheme of things, it is really a first world problem .. blah blah blah.

But it still SUUUCKS.. lol I hear you!

Yeah! I mean when you go for a meal or buy food out its all just one size. It's no fun cutting a burger in half. I have an appetite much bigger than my frame, don't we all to varying degrees? Isn't that why why anyone would want to lose weight?

I found the problem. If you expect weightloss, healthy eating and fitness (hell, we can apply that to LIFE entirely) to be nothing but "fun", you're going to have a miserable time of it. Which by they way you're talking, sounds like you already are.

Life sucks, there are things we do that we might rather not do. I don't particularly find wiping my @$$ to be "fun", but I do it anyway without complaining, because that's what needs to happen if I want to continue smelling nice and not getting a gnarly rash. Cut the damn burger if that's what needs to happen to reach your goals.