• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet squat-3X7X 25
    Russian kettle bell swing-50 X 10 X 25

Challenge total- 1,250 swings

Swimming freestyle-45 minutes

I had a very nice morning getting my exercise in. I think the swimming is beneficial to relaxing my muscles after the kettle bell swings. Now to try to get 4 miles of walking in today!

Joyce - Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fun day celebrating!

I want to chime in on the cheat meal! I definitely have a complete cheat day. I would not be able to stay eating at a deficit every single day of the week for the rest of my life. And this is for the rest of my life. I also do not deny myself things during the week as long as it fits with in my calorie allotment. If you check my diary out for the last two days I had Beercreek caramel ice cream and banana for my snack. I think that everybody has to decide for themselves what works for them. But this for me is a journey not just a weight loss diet.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    I don't use the term "cheat day " but this weekend I will stray from my usual path when I eat in restaurants. Let's not ever quibble amongst ourselves. We are here to support each other :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps before noon~ that hasn't happened in a dogs age...

Way to go Allie, doing happy dance with you :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather, thank you. :) Some day I'm coming to your house for dinner lol

Janetr OKC
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota (I wonder where, I used to live in Minnesota), I envy your exercise level. I would love to be that active. I used to be that active. Now I'm waiting to have knee replacement surgery on April 29th at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I'm planning on May being my rehab month and then being ready for all the wonderful activities of summer after that. Get me into a pool and it's hard to get me out. I was one of those kids that always begged for 5 more minutes...... Please????

I've been reading all about this cheating thing. And I think it's a bunch of hog wash. If you log it, you are not cheating. You are owning up to your shortcomings. Some of us have shorter comings than others. My personal weakness is Ice Cream. I'm just a sucker for ice cream. But not just any old ice cream. It used to be Haagen Daz. But I've found something better. Tallenti's Gellato. It's to die for. And I know that my day is not complete without a small serving of it. So I plan for it and make sure that I have the calories saved up for it so I can have just a little bit every night before I go to bed. It's not a cheat. It's good management. If you know you're going out to dinner, what are you going to eat earlier, something higher in fat and calories, or some cut up mixed veggies and just a little bit of dip? It's good management. So here's to good eating ladies. Indulge in you favorite foods now and again, but plan for them. And if you go over calories one day, it's not the end of the world. MFP is not going to reach out from your computer and slap you across your face. We just start again tomorrow like we do every day. Peace ladies.
    Anna in the beautiful bluffs of Northeast Iowa
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mindy - Good job on making some tuff decisions in your lifestyle. I understand finance problem. I too was a single Mom most of my adult life and I was always struggling to make ends meet. Hang in there. Good job on the weight loss. You doing fantastic.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Anna- The friend that I am going swimming with just had knee surgery. And she is so happy because she is able to bend it more and walk better on it in the pool and she noticed yesterday she was able to walk a lot better it doesn't have the pain she had prior to swimming Tuesday. I grew up in Minneapolis, moved to Zimmerman, Elk River area, now I am up north in the Walker Leech Lake area. Does any of those areas ring a bell with where you might have lived?

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I don't use the term "cheat day " but this weekend I will stray from my usual path when I eat in restaurants. Let's not ever quibble amongst ourselves. We are here to support each other :)

Thanks, Barbie, for the reminder, support and encouragement is our purpose. I believe it comes down to terminology and that's not important, its the journey. Have a terrific time on your trip.

Janetr OKC
  • Hortmama
    Hortmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here is my first post. I am a Nana, i live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and it is pretty cold here today. I have a challenge to walk 2016k for the year. That is 38k per week. I am challenging myself to do between 40-50k per week. So far i have not gone out for March. Might go later today but really fed up with winter. Do great with mfp, i find the recording of calories keeps me on track. If i have planned ahead it is way easier to stay focused. Going away tomorrow till Monday to a music camp, someone else is cooking, my theory might be on hold for these next few days.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,321 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Janetr - You are welcome any time. <3 When are you coming over?

Anna - it just shows how screwed up we've got in our First World that a little bit of delicious ice cream is considered bad, or Pip's moderate portion of mayonnaise is a weakness. We eat, we live, we share food, we cook, we entertain, we go out, we have a good time. It all balances out if we basically eat a good, varied diet. For me the great learning was that I need to burn off the calories and equalise it with the consumption. No one could have hated exercise more than me. No one. I more or less despised it. Just look at me now! I like eating more than I hate exercise. :laugh: Good luck on getting back to it. :flowerforyou: Can you get in the pool now? You don't have to use your legs at all.

Mindy - big hugs for you dealing with money worries. I have been there. :'( You are doing all the right things. :flowerforyou:

Oops, I said I was having stewed fruit for dessert. DH forgot to cook it. I have forgiven him. :bigsmile:
    So it's just fruit and cheese then. And chocolate. I'll still be under calories. :D

Heather UK
    PS - DH has just come in and said he has chopped us up some fresh fruit for dessert. (He obviously felt guilty! :laugh: ) He makes the best fruit salad ever. He is the fruit monitor in our house. :bigsmile: Usually nectarines, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana etc etc.
    He not only makes it, he checks it and buys it. He is a keeper. <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Suzy- for the 10,000 kettle bell swing challenge on the 500 swing day I use a 25 pound kettle bell. On the day that I do my StrongLifts routine I do 250 swings at 30 pounds. I will try to incorporate my 35 pound kettle bell that I used only for one workout last month. Are you thinking of joining the challenge? There is information on the Internet about how it originated and the varying ways that people have done it. I am doing it the way that one of the lady instructors did. I think that the purpose is just to encourage people to do more then what they normally do.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hortmama! That is some walking! Let's see, 38k is about 25 miles a week? That is impressive! Do you walk outside? I bet it becomes an issue with the temps and weather! Great group here! Glad to have you!

RealMsWolf- (Your name has slipped my mind...was it Kristan?) Please don't be upset! I think it did all come down to a case of semantics and how we choose to define the issue of treats/allowances/cheats. I don't think any one meant to upset or gang up on you. Truly!

CHEATS- Speaking of cheating! There is one food for me that is a definite cheat! A cheat in the most secretive (I don't tell people I eat it), unaccountable (I don't record it), sensual (yes, it makes me feel like I need a cigarette after consuming). Don't laugh...it's a Whopper. I don't mean a big, big, whopper of a meal or treat. I mean, it's an actual Whopper sandwich from Burger King! Yeah. WE had a major relationship about 20 years ago, for about five years. It was after my parents died and we had just moved. BK was the restaurant my dad would take me to for my birthday, growing up. I know, doesn't sound like a big deal, but I come from a family of eight (plus grandma and one of my aunts was living with us). So ten on a postman's salary means living on government food, dad's hunting skills and special occasion meals were where burgers were only 50 cents. So me and the Whopper go way back. Anyway, after my five year binge, I quit the Whopper all together for another five years. Now, it is my once a year treat. I don't record it, I don't tell anyone, I just order it (minus tomato and cut in half), take it to the beach and eat it watching the waves come in. Comfort Zone and Death Row Meal. I could write a whole sonnet about my love for this horribly unhealthy sandwich and relationship. Anyone else have a food that is like that for them?
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I have yummy meals every day, and an alcoholic drink or two, and dessert every night. And cheese. I never cheat. That is the way I eat. I lost 57 lbs eating like that and have maintained for over 2 years. It's not cheating it's normal, healthy eating. To say you are cheating means you are depriving yourself the rest of the time. I don't feel deprived, so I don't have to cheat. I just love my food every day. :D

Love to all, Heather UK

I'm getting a little resentful of other people telling me what something means to me! If that eating plan works for you, great, but please do not presume to tell me how I should be doing things. Suggest all you want. I came here for support, not to be told that I'm doing things wrong.

sorry, we don't mean to come off that way... we are a bunch of hi spirited ol farts here. you do what feels good to you., like I said, if you log what you eat, then to me you're not cheating, you're just eating.,. HA I rhymed ! you are seeing the calorie intake that you are putting in your body and. I support you girlfriend!! you go!

Thank you, Pip. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,661 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Driving through Tacoma and thinking of Pip:)

:0) ::::::::::: waving hand ::::::::::::

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,321 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    K J - When I was in my teens, 20s/30s and depressed I used to cook a HUGE pile of white rice, grind a whole lot of black pepper on top and just shovel it down until my stomach was so bloated all I could do was lie down, pull the covers over my head and sleep. I haven't done that for years and rarely eat white rice anymore, but just occasionally I see it sitting there in its glass jar on the windowsill and get a pang. How I would love to shovel that stuff down until I burst! But I don't. :bigsmile: Oh, the memory!
    Heather UK

PS I have had the odd "cheese orgy" in recent times. :D Usually when DH is out.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,778 Member
    Options
    Ok my mind is starting to run away with me.. So from the 22nd to the 30th of this month, this will be my schedule...22nd and 23rd have to stay overnight with Faith, do dinner,pills etc...., 24,25thand 26th going to Cape Cod, do you remember my last trip up there? visiting 2 elderly friends in 2 different nursing homes and I left at 12:30 in the morning.. well sort of the same scenario, but taking my nuther mother Doris with me,so we wont be leaving early.. but Doris is 85 and I will be doing the driving back and forth, and to and fro from the nursing homes.. then come home,I will stay overnight here at home the 26th and then up to Faith through the following thursday, no mind you that is between work, and going to feed my DFIL and getting to the gym sometime in there..
    We will make time while at the Cape to hit a few Christmas Tree Shops and the beach, and the birdwatchers general store in Orleans.. but I am getting tired just thinking about it..
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Tracij625 – Just jump in … don’t wait for a certain day or date to begin. Tracking and measuring your food is what will help get you to your goal. You’ve come to an excellent thread to get encouragement. You’ll find that we will talk about anything, giving advice (which does not work for everybody. You’ll find out who doesn’t want it), giving encouragement, telling our thoughts, giving examples of what we’ve been through. You’ll make friends fast. We’ll ask you how things are going and sometimes we even post a good recipe with low calories.

I don’t really believe in cheat days either if you post it. It's when you eat something and don't post it, don't tell anybody about it, and depending on how many times you do it, daily, once a week, once a month, once a year - the only person you are cheating is yourself. But, I also don't believe in 'denying yourself' of something that will satisfy that craving (and I think all of us crave something from time-to-time). I post everything that goes into my mouth; and then I subtract my ‘caloric intake’ and either I realize that I must cut something out or add something (like exercise back to my plan). Even then, I don’t eat back my exercise calories. The only exercise I really enjoy is walking in our pool; but, we are a good 2 months away from opening it back up.

I’ll tell you both, that you have to factor in an occasional dessert, drink, or a craving because if you don’t you’ll end up doing it anyway and kicking yourself for doing it. I’m on a very low ‘caloric intake’ to lose the 50-60lbs I need to. Right now I am about 2-4 points to get down to a ‘normal’ weight. I told my GYN that he needed to tell me ‘how proud he was of my losing weight’ and NOT his nurse; especially since it was him who put me on it. LOL!

I crave 'cheese' more than anything; then, like this week, for some reason I crave 'candied orange slices'. Actually, I know where that started ... getting 'gummies for Vitamin C' and it was just enough to make we want to buy a small package of them. Factor in the calories and eat 2 a day. Over that craving pretty much; but, the cheese is a killer this week.

Betty – I don’t know about whether it’d work on an iPod or not; but, I have an app that is called ‘character map’ and some can be put into place using the Alt + a number key; some you have to ‘select’ and then ‘copy’ to the place you want them to be. Certain words that I type in already have the special letters such as ‘naïve’ … it had the double dots over the ‘i’. I use it to put my slash over my last name as well.

Katla – I do the same, order the appetizer as a meal; and ask for a doggie bag/box. I always cut whatever I order in ½ and put it in the bag/box they bring me to have the next day. My DH is beginning to do the same thing. Most restaurants serve you way too much on a plate and all they are going to do is throw it out anyway.’’

Ms Wolf
    – I’m not sure what you mean about not wanting someone to tell you ‘how to do something’; I’m guessing they are telling you what works for them. If that makes you ‘resentful’ then all I can say is: “I’m sorry.” I’m sure that all of us, at some point or another, have made comments that others thought were unnecessary.

I get my ‘sweet tooth’ taken care of; when I eat my nightly protein bar (covered in chocolate) and just the right size, too. On weekends; DH and I go out to eat – just the 2 of us. As I said earlier; I cut whatever I order in ½ and bring it home to have the next day (or 2). I’ll eat cold pizza, my DYS got me started on that. I’d rather add a few green olives to it and throw it into the little oven they gave us for Christmas because ours burnt out; and let the cheese melt around them.

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Ok my mind is starting to run away with me.. So from the 22nd to the 30th of this month, this will be my schedule...22nd and 23rd have to stay overnight with Faith, do dinner,pills etc...., 24,25thand 26th going to Cape Cod, do you remember my last trip up there? visiting 2 elderly friends in 2 different nursing homes and I left at 12:30 in the morning.. well sort of the same scenario, but taking my nuther mother Doris with me,so we wont be leaving early.. but Doris is 85 and I will be doing the driving back and forth, and to and fro from the nursing homes.. then come home,I will stay overnight here at home the 26th and then up to Faith through the following thursday, no mind you that is between work, and going to feed my DFIL and getting to the gym sometime in there..
    We will make time while at the Cape to hit a few Christmas Tree Shops and the beach, and the birdwatchers general store in Orleans.. but I am getting tired just thinking about it..

Busy schedule if you ask me....don't know how you do it....such a giving person!

Where on the Cape do you go? Growing up my grandparent's had a house on Swift's Beach in Wareham on the Cape. We loved their little pink house and so enjoyed going to the beach with her.

Cheri
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Janetr - You are welcome any time. <3 When are you coming over?

Anna - it just shows how screwed up we've got in our First World that a little bit of delicious ice cream is considered bad, or Pip's moderate portion of mayonnaise is a weakness. We eat, we live, we share food, we cook, we entertain, we go out, we have a good time. It all balances out if we basically eat a good, varied diet. For me the great learning was that I need to burn off the calories and equalise it with the consumption. No one could have hated exercise more than me. No one. I more or less despised it. Just look at me now! I like eating more than I hate exercise. :laugh: Good luck on getting back to it. :flowerforyou: Can you get in the pool now? You don't have to use your legs at all.

Mindy - big hugs for you dealing with money worries. I have been there. :'( You are doing all the right things. :flowerforyou:

Oops, I said I was having stewed fruit for dessert. DH forgot to cook it. I have forgiven him. :bigsmile:
    So it's just fruit and cheese then. And chocolate. I'll still be under calories. :D

Heather UK
    PS - DH has just come in and said he has chopped us up some fresh fruit for dessert. (He obviously felt guilty! :laugh: ) He makes the best fruit salad ever. He is the fruit monitor in our house. :bigsmile: Usually nectarines, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana etc etc.
    He not only makes it, he checks it and buys it. He is a keeper. <3

Umm, unless they build a bridge or a tunnel to England, I'd have to fly over by myself. Jack, who was in the Air Force for 20 years and then flew for a commercial freight company for 18 years after that, says he's not flying anywhere. So don't hold dinner for me just yet :)

My daughters say to me, wow you must like to exercise I ALWAYS tell them, "No, I don't like to exercise, but I LOVE to eat" :)

For sure he is a keeper. I can't think of the last time I saw Jack eat a piece of fruit. :(

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,661 Member
    Options